Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aum mixer for hardware?

Wondering how using aum as a mixer for strictly mutiple hardware synths has work out for others.
Also seeking suggestions for an interface to handle such.
-thx

Comments

• Works great. Any class compliant audio interface would do, but naturally if you want to use it as a proper mixer, you should get some with plenty of inputs. I think the bigger focusrite scarletts are good value.

• @ToMess said:
    Works great. Any class compliant audio interface would do, but naturally if you want to use it as a proper mixer, you should get some with plenty of inputs. I think the bigger focusrite scarletts are good value.

Great thx will check those out. Thinking of running my hardware into aum and using ios effects.

• edited August 2018

It has worked out perfectly for me, I have a few analogue synths which I run through AUM. I don't have the greatest sound card at the moment I use a UMC 1820. The midi routing works great in AUM also.

• Works great - I send/receive a ton from IOS to Pro Tools TDM and back with AUM and an iConnectAudio4+. But as with all digital chains: there is latency.
    Watch out your monitoring/mixing of the returned signal if you track both directions.

• @breilly
    How many inputs would you like ? Outputs ? (submix ? or just master ?)
    Witch buffer are you targeting into AUM ? 64 ? Would you accept 128, or 256 ?
    How do you think driving midi into AUM ? (who's master, who's slave in your mind ?)

• Same experience here.

• I can concur. Works a treat.

I'm using an iConnectaudio4+ (goofy name, but it's a great tool - wish they made one with 8 inputs though...)
    The benefit of this interface is its midi routing capabilities as well as the ability to route audio between two devices - so setting up a situation say where you route hardware through AUM then into ableton becomes fairly simple thing.

It's also one of very few interfaces that can connect to lightning without a camera connection kit. so, one cable charges and routes all audio/midi. easy breezy!

I bought a second cable (yeah, it's proprietary :neutral: ) so I can use it with two ipads at once. one for patterning and routing hardware to fx in the background, and one to run a bunch of heavy duty synths (zeeon, vcs3, quanta, animoog, iM1, SM1, etc).

Basic parameters (volume, fx sends, filters etc) are mapped to little midi controller, turning AUM into an endlessly flexible mixer.

• edited August 2018

The iConnectAudio stuff is made for this, but I've also used a Native Instruments interface as a pseudo mixer with audiobus and aum to add FX to my hardware synths and the individual outputs on my MPC2000XL

The Traktor Audio 6 is a no-frills box with with 6-in/out, they're all RCA though. Can usually be found for dirt cheap.

The Komplete Audio 6 is 4-in/out analog, 2-in/out digital but has midi and mic pres with phantom power.

One thing to note is that the NI boxes cannot be bus powered and you have to purchase the power adapter separately.

• edited August 2018

I've been using AUM + AU effects with a Behringer UMC1820 for about a year now and I love it. I'm using all 16 channels for my outboard gear. I control everything with a pair of Novation Launch Control XLs. I never look at the iPad screen. It's like having a hardware mixer and effects!

My setup:
    www.YouTube.com/chisel316

• @chisel316 said:
    I've been using AUM + AU effects with a Behringer UMC1820 for about a year now and I love it. I'm using all 16 channels for my outboard gear. I control everything with a pair of Novation Launch Control XLs. I never look at the iPad screen. It's like having a hardware mixer and effects!

My setup:
    www.YouTube.com/chisel316

holy massive mini setup.

• I am willing to do so but how do you route in Aum?
    I have a Babyface Pro and I can’t seem to find how to proceed. Aum is showing me only Usb inputs, no hardware ones.

• edited December 2019

Ok so i’m gonna answer myself.

To use you iPad as an Fx Box through your soundcard, you’ll need Aum (maybe there’s an equivalent) capable of routing the different signals.

The trick is to acknowledge which inputs/outputs names in Aum correspond to which physical inputs/outputs of your soundcard.

In Aum:

1. You select Input by clicking on the + button. Then hardware input.
      Here i am given choice between Usb1 to Usb 12 (or paired). In my case, with the Babyface Pro, Usb3 as an input in Aum refers to Instrument 3 Input on the Babyface.

2. You select and effect to be applied.

3. In output, you select harware ouput. Here you still have a list of Usb ports from 1 to 12 BUT although the name is the same, THEY DON’T REFER TO THE SAME PHYSICAL INPUTS/OUPUTS.
      In my case with the Babyface Pro, USB3 refers here to one of the Headphones ouput.

Hope this can be helpful for someone passing by ;)