Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

e-l-s-a AU Beta

There's been a lot of discussion about samplers lately, so I asked Erik Sigth if it would be okay to talk about the e-l-s-a AU beta. He graciously said yes.

Here's what I know;

Midi cc of loop start and stop.

'Pitch length compensation' now has a second option called 'no compensation'. The new option allows samples to play back in a scaled manner. Great for single cycle, looped samples.

Auv3 and iaa.

Additional midi cc's.

I suspect there's more, but these functions stood out for me.

I'm hoping, if time permits, that @humbletune will tell us more.

I'll attempt to post some screenshots.

Comments

• Im interested. Its true, modulation of start stop times is very rare on iOS. Erik is a great dev. Only time will tell if this upgrade is free or paid but I think Ill show my love for the dev by getting the original. Especially as its only 3 £/$/€ !

e-l-s-a by Erik Sigth
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/e-l-s-a/id833671355?mt=8

• edited August 2018

This will be totally awesome especially if it nails the sample import using files.app from the AUv3 interface and optionally supports sampling in an effect slot :)

It’s already a pretty nice sampler and AUv3 support will lift it to another level!

• Looking forward for this! Elsa is one of my favourite apps.

• So pleased about this :)

• Great news. Fantastic app

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am a bit confused,... is this beta or is this already in the store, or are we talking about an upcoming update of elsa!? ;) thanks

• Looking forward to this being released.

• The Humble Bundle on his App Store looks swell too ... might need to grab that.

• Looking forward to this new update

• @Dawdles said:
    Sweet! Love @humbletune apps’

an idea I keep having... combine all your apps in to one beast ;) like an Op1 AU kind of thing. Lots of different synth engines, sampler and fx under one hood.

So that many heavily varied synth + fx patches can be saved and browsed as conveniently in one GUI and fast as on op1.

I totally see that too. Good call. Now I’m going to have to recalibrate all my expectations.

• Can you sample live by putting it in the fx slot?

• an idea I keep having... combine all your apps in to one beast ;) like an Op1 AU kind of thing. Lots of different synth engines, sampler and fx under one hood.

That's why it'd be nice if Apple would modify the AuV3 spec to allow hosts to host each other. Imagine being able to add an ApeMatrix instance as a device in AUM.

• @Samu said:
    This will be totally awesome especially if it nails the sample import using files.app from the AUv3 interface and optionally supports sampling in an effect slot :)

It’s already a pretty nice sampler and AUv3 support will lift it to another level!

I haven't tested the auv3 beta in ios11 yet. I will make an effort over the next few days.

At the moment I can't import my own waveforms into the auv3. I have mentioned it to ERik.

The sampling in the effects slot is not there as an auv3, but it is an an iaa - I've been sampling to the iaa from the auv3. I will ask him if he plans on implementing that feature as an auv3. Tardigrain has an auv3 fx that supports sampling. So I suspect elsa will be the same :-))

@david_2017 said:
    I am a bit confused,... is this beta or is this already in the store, or are we talking about an upcoming update of elsa!? ;) thanks

Sorry David. The pics are features of the current beta.

e-l-s-a exists on the App Store now. The current version is not auv3.

Iaa and standalone only.

Even without the forthcoming auv3 implementation, and the new midi cc's ( particularly loop start and stop ), it's a fantastic sampler ( that samples ).

@DCJ said:
    Can you sample live by putting it in the fx slot?

The current App Store version allows sampling live in the fx slot (iaa).

The auv3 beta that I'm testing doesn't . Not yet.

As stated above, tardigrain allows this, so I suspect elsa will also. I will ask ERik (the developer) if it's planned and let everyone here know :-)

• @frond said:

@Samu said:

I haven't tested the auv3 beta in ios11 yet. I will make an effort over the next few days.

At the moment I can't import my own waveforms into the auv3. I have mentioned it to ERik.

Cool!, It's ok if e-l-s-a keeps the imported samples in it's own 'container' ie. no need to make the imported stuff visible to files.app. Import & export using the standard iOS document-picker / files.app would be enough.

And well, I do use an audio-interface with multiple inputs (Steinberg UR-242) so being able to select which input (1,2,3,4 (mono) or 1&2 and 3&4(Stereo)) to use would be handy but that can be ignored if AUv3 sampling works since the host would be responsible for forwarding the audio from a selected input to e-l-s-a.

Keep us all posted on the e-l-s-a progress if that's something you feel like doing :)

• @frond Do you know if the new elsa update will support pitch-bend?(+/-24 semitones would be nice).
    Pitch & Filter envelopes would be dandy too but I guess that could be automated once pitch-can be controlled :)

• This will sure make my idea of an EP all HumbleTune-y easier :lol :love:

• @Dawdles said:
    Sweet! Love @humbletune apps’ GUi design and sound. Fingers crossed that import works how @samu has mentioned.

@humbletune an idea I keep having... combine all your apps in to one beast ;) like an Op1 AU kind of thing. Lots of different synth engines, sampler and fx under one hood.

So that many heavily varied synth + fx patches can be saved and browsed as conveniently in one GUI and fast as on op1.

Love that idea. I guess you can kind of do this with AUM or ApeMatrix currently by saving presets and scrolling those. But yeah, would be really interested in seeing what/how Erik put an environment like that together.

• @frond Thanks for the screenshots. Are those CCs fixed? I assume they're also exposed to hosts as AU params so one could map any CC to them via a something like AUM. Hoping both are true — fixed CCs are a lot easier for creating sharable CC templates (say in Quantum or ModStep).

• @Samu said:
    @frond Do you know if the new elsa update will support pitch-bend?(+/-24 semitones would be nice).

Not in the conventional manner.

However, you can via the midi cc note shift. +/- 48 semitones. If you look above the sample waveform you'll see a number (0 or -24 in the pics I posted), which is semitones tuning of the sample. This is separated from standard keyboard, or sequencer pitch. I'm not always articulate, so to be clear; play your pitch sequence, and midi cc your semitones at the same time. Tested with Quantum sequencer, midiSTEPs, modstep, beatmaker 3, and it's lots of fun.

I'll make an effort to test keyboard pitch-bend with my qunexus. Will let you know.

Pitch & Filter envelopes would be dandy too but I guess that could be automated once pitch-can be controlled :)

No pitch or Filter envelopes. Automate filter = yes ;) All cc's automate nicely.

iOS 11.x - I tried the files.app with elsa auv3, but I couldn't get them to interact in a manner that made sense (sample transfer). First time with iOS 11.x though, so I will try again when time permits. I'm still using iOS 10.x.

I just tried some basic midi cc tests w/ Quantum, elsa auv3, and AUM on iOS 11.x and there were no problems.

I suspect ERik would value some of your feedback regarding iOS 11 ;)

@syrupcore said:
    @frond Thanks for the screenshots. Are those CCs fixed? I assume they're also exposed to hosts as AU params so one could map any CC to them via a something like AUM. Hoping both are true — fixed CCs are a lot easier for creating sharable CC templates (say in Quantum or ModStep).

The pics show the midi cc's as they are presented by the developer, but they can be changed (in standalone and AU). I just tested changing some mid cc numbers in Quantum, ModStep, and midiSTEPs to confirm ;-)

• @frond said:

@Samu said:
    @frond Do you know if the new elsa update will support pitch-bend?(+/-24 semitones would be nice).

I'll make an effort to test keyboard pitch-bend with my qunexus. Will let you know.

Cool, if that works it will be all dandy since most hosts have a keyboard that already has a pitch-bend :)
    But as far as I've seen the 'pitch bend' is not assigned to anything in e-l-s-a?!

Since the pitch in the display is 'per note/key/octave'(depending on which mode is used) it's would need a 'global' controller such as the regular pitch bend as it's 'master' (And the +/-24&48 is to support MPE specs) ;)

Additional wishes would be alternate interpolation modes (i.e. No Interpolation & Linear).

No pitch or Filter envelopes. Automate filter = yes ;) All cc's automate nicely.

Yepp, tried that in the stand-alone, with AUv3 parameter automation this will be nice indeed :)

I suspect ERik would value some of your feedback regarding iOS 11 ;)

Feel free to forward them :D

I have all of his apps already installed on my iPad and have a few ideas for Stöm(more channel slots) & Shapesynth(Fine Tune per oscillator) and naturally wish for AUv3 support but all in due time...

What ever Erik cooks I'll try to do my best to adapt although I'm still not fully friends with Tardigrain :D

• So what is the go with this sampler?
    What does it do as a sampler that makes it special ?

• @Mayo said:
    So what is the go with this sampler?
    What does it do as a sampler that makes it special ?

The arp.

• OK - I love a good arp..
    Can't find any info / vids on it though - whats the story with the arp?

• Nice vid, but where’s the arp demonstrated?

• @Mayo said:
    OK - I love a good arp..
    Can't find any info / vids on it though - whats the story with the arp?

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/03/31/new-sampler-for-ios-elsa/

• @kinkujin said:
    Nice vid, but where’s the arp demonstrated?

I think he meant "app"