Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a bass note playing app following the played chord which plays a low bass note.

2»

Comments

• Soundprism Link and Electro

• Don't know the electro app?

• edited August 2018

Synth (played chord)->bass follower app via AB3->audio/midi out bass note of played chord

• @db909 said:
    Soundprism Link and Electro

Those are instruments.
    It would be great to be able to use existing MIDI tracks, so as a MIDI filter.

Still trying around MidiFlow to get this running.

• @tja said:

@db909 said:

Those are instruments.

Why don't you just use StepPolyArpUnit?

You can create an "arp" that is just 1st note (i.e. lowest note) in chord. This won't work for inversions obviously as the "bass"/"base" note of the chord is not the lowest, but it's good enough most of the time.

Chord goesinta chord synth
    Chord goesinta StepPolyArp goesinta bass synth

Simple.

• @Drümünkey said:

@tja said:

@db909 said:

Those are instruments.

Why don't you just use StepPolyArpUnit?

You can create an "arp" that is just 1st note (i.e. lowest note) in chord. This won't work for inversions obviously as the "bass"/"base" note of the chord is not the lowest, but it's good enough most of the time.

Chord goesinta chord synth
    Chord goesinta StepPolyArp goesinta bass synth

Simple.

I tried to do this in StepPolyArp, but failed.

Could you kindly post a Screenshot of the required setup?

• I cannot find a way to create an Arpeggio that handles just the lowest note in StepPolyArp.

For the "up" mode the following should only ever play the first note of a chord, right?

• But sadly:

• @tja With your SPA setup, the new bass note is only triggered every 32/16 (every two bars) if at that point in time there is an active chord.

If you shorten the whole row to just 1/16 length with the first note set to ‚1‘ , the incomming notes are checked every 1/16 and the lowest note of the active notes is send out. This results in a kind of staccato effect on the bass note, but it works.

Lowering the speed to 1/4 will help a little bit, also adjusting the gate length to 100% - but it will not follow chords faster that this speed.

If SPA would offer >100% gate length and then combine the still playing notes (discard the off and on again) one could choose a very fast speed and it would work perfectly without staccato. Perhaps one can write something clever in stream byter that delays note-offs and discards it, if a note-on for the same notes arrives... I‘ll try around a bit.
  • I just saw on the streambyter forum that nic is already looking into the autobass problem with cool streambyter scripts :)

• @_ki said:
    @tja With your SPA setup, the new bass note is only triggered every 32/16 (every two bars) if at that point in time there is an active chord.

If you shorten the whole row to just 1/16 length with the first note set to ‚1‘ , the incomming notes are checked every 1/16 and the lowest note of the active notes is send out. This results in a kind of staccato effect on the bass note, but it works.

Lowering the speed to 1/4 will help a little bit, also adjusting the gate length to 100% - but it will not follow chords faster that this speed.

If SPA would offer >100% gate length and then combine the still playing notes (discard the off and on again) one could choose a very fast speed and it would work perfectly without staccato. Perhaps one can write something clever in stream byter that delays note-offs and discards it, if a note-on for the same notes arrives... I‘ll try around a bit.

Thanks a bunch for the explanation, you seem to have a good grasp of StepPolyArp!
    I tried with 1/16 entries, but the stacatto was not what I wanted.

And yes, I am trying with the "autobass" module that Nic wrote esp. for me :) :) :)

But it also has some problem, maybe Nic did not thing about what you wrote above.
    I'm not yet able to read and understand this code.

If you are interested:

http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/523/lowest-chord-different-midi-channel

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2018

I already learned a lot from his source :)

Regarding my ‚delay and connect note-off/on‘ idea above, i am still having problems doing the delayed execution... Thats why i searched the audeonic board for examples and stumbled over nics autobass source.

Its probably better to do it his ‚solve it all in one source’ way, than to try to fix the StepPolyArp staccato output.

• Not sure but am thinking maybe using chord detection feature in iBassist and making/saving a custom preset they just plays the root note of the chord.

• I would like to have a generic solution for any MIDI source, be it Sequencer, Instrument or Progression App.

I started my search already here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25170/finding-the-midi-route-in-between-ios-musical-apps

A way to generate Bass lines from chords and put this and / or the original MIDI into an arpeggiator like StepPolyArp would prove quite interesting for me.

• Now, eat this :) :) :)

Xequence to MidiFire / StreamByter to "autobass" module and straight into Cubasis.
    "autobass" output both to Cubasis and StepPolyArp and this also into Cubasis

• @tja did Nic fix the script? Can you explain a little more about how you approached the above. This is essentially what I’m trying to do. Many thanks.

• @Dchild said:
    @tja did Nic fix the script? Can you explain a little more about how you approached the above. This is essentially what I’m trying to do. Many thanks.

It's still in the works :-)

Nic's work, that is,... I am trying my best to help with tests

• @tja said:

@Dchild said:
    @tja did Nic fix the script? Can you explain a little more about how you approached the above. This is essentially what I’m trying to do. Many thanks.

I’ve been using apeMatrix and StreamByter AU; could you help me get MidiFire working routing midi into cubasis.

• tjatja
    edited August 2018

@Dchild said:

@tja said:

@Dchild said:

I’ve been using apeMatrix and StreamByter AU; could you help me get MidiFire working routing midi into cubasis.

For our bass line, this is easy:

Depending on your MIDI input, choose MidiFire as input module or insert the App itself.
    Then route this to our StreamByter autobass modules and route this to Cubasis:

And in Cubasis add a MIDI track for the bass line with Virtual MIDI and channel 4

OK?

• Ah, and with StreamByter that only works with the beta version!

• @tja said:
    Ah, and with StreamByter that only works with the beta version!

StreamByter AU or StreamByter in MidiFire. Looks like Nic just uploaded V5 :)

• Nice 👍 will test over the weekend. Props for all the testing.