Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence Masterclass Continued

I was going to just add it to my previous post but apparently I could not edit it. Part 4b will be up soon as well.

Part 4a - Drum Controller

Part 4b - Keyboard Controller

Parts 1-3 forum entry.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24988/xequence-master-class-parts-1-2-3#latest

Comments

• Thank you, Mitch.

This series is well worth it

• @gmslayton said:
    I was going to just add it to my previous post but apparently I could not edit it. Part 4b will be up soon as well.

Parts 1-3 forum entry.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24988/xequence-master-class-parts-1-2-3#latest

YES!

• Your Xequence tutorial series is really professionally done. Call me crazy but I still haven’t got this yet, though I’m getting closer to that point with each new video. When making drum maps can you create layered notes (ie chords)? When are you going to do the Polyhymnia Tutorial?

• @LucidMusicInc thanks. It’s been really fun doing a really in-depth tutorial for this app. Right now you can’t layer notes with the drum pads but I do believe it’s on the long and ever growing list of feature requests.

I have a few more masterclass videos planned out over the next few weeks. One will be dedicated to the Polyhymnia. I need to figure it out myself first. 😉

• @gmslayton said:
    @LucidMusicInc thanks. It’s been really fun doing a really in-depth tutorial for this app. Right now you can’t layer notes with the drum pads but I do believe it’s on the long and ever growing list of feature requests.

I have a few more masterclass videos planned out over the next few weeks. One will be dedicated to the Polyhymnia. I need to figure it out myself first. 😉

I can't emphasize enough how great these videos are. Keep it up!

• Nice, thanks a lot for sharing !

• Thanks everyone. I added part 4b - keyboard controller to the top post.

• Regarding 'Velocity' in Sunrizer...
    ...many presets have the velocity sensitivity turned way down.

The setting can be found in Sunrizer (Effects -> Transform Midi Key Velocity) and bump up the Volume :)

• @Samu cool thanks. Did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I didn't want to focus to much on other apps in that video so just wanted to show how you could easily control the volume if the app didn't respond. I will test this out though. Maybe that little nugget of knowledge could warrant a quicktip video for sunrizer.

• edited August 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @Samu cool thanks. Did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I didn't want to focus to much on other apps in that video so just wanted to show how you could easily control the volume if the app didn't respond. I will test this out though. Maybe that little nugget of knowledge could warrant a quicktip video for sunrizer.

Maybe, most patches that are more 'velocity dependant' have those features already enabled.

I don't have the nerdy AUv3 that can do custom midi-filtering but I guess it could be used to do some crazy stuff too.
    (ie. assign scaled velocity to many different parameters and thus expand the modulation capabilities of Sunrizer or any other synth).

Xequence is a quite nice sequencer and I may end up removing some of the other sequencers when I do my iOS12 clean-up :)

Once Sunvox get's past the '16 Simultaneous Midi Notes Per Tick' limit it will become an even better 'Sound Module' for Xequence!

• edited August 2018

@gmslayton Nice to see all the keyboard subtleties finally getting picked up and demoed in a Youtube video, superb work! All the various control modes are especially useful for controlling stuff like filter cutoff / resonance, if you're into that kind of thing :) Should be noted that you can also use several modes in parallel on different controllers, and control multiple controllers at once using different axes of device motion, etc... a bit like Thumbjam.

@Samu let's all bug the Sunvox developer! ;) ;) ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Samu let's all bug the Sunvox developer! ;) ;) ;)

He'll deliver in due time, no worries about that ;)

And well, I had forgotten how well Sunvox exports MODs to Midi.
    It's super easy to load an old mod-file into Sunvox, export the *.mid to Xequence or Cubasis and use the mod-file as a 'sound module' (although some tracker commands don't translate that well).

Well, One needs to do some manual 'labour' to translate the arpeggios to chords at some point LOL.

(Another way is to create some meta-modules with patterns in Sunvox for the different arpeggios).

Sunvox can go crazy deep, no question about that...

• @SevenSystems the more I discover this great app, the more I think a "Xequence live" app version perfectly integrated with export/import midi, as simple and clean, would be huge...

• @crony, if you go into a bit more detail on what you would want to see changed / added / removed in such a version, I can comment on it :)

• edited August 2018

@SevenSystems ok, here's my a sum up of "dream" launch clip live mode.

Picture this:

On top of the screen, a preview of the full midi track done with Xequence.
    Here you may add multiple midi markers (entry/end points) and also Cue points (for interacting with a VJ set sending midi commands)

On the bottom of the screen, split in two part, you have an interface that looks like this:
    https://www.pioneerdj.com/fr-fr/product/dj-sampler/djs-1000/black/overview/
    So one on the left, one on the right.
    Here you may drag'n'drop your midi markers from the top screen view to each scene (or one of 16 pads).
    You may give a color and a label for each pad (but Midi marker names should be ok)
    Each pad could get a repeat value, and some actions (basically the same actions of Rozeta Bassline/XOX chaining patterns)
    Here midi out of each track would get the synth organized in AUM or Ape M or whatever host.
    But midi in could be also set differently. (To send some notes live using, any external keyboard (like Rozeta Scale, ot a step sequencer...anything) so not only the midi in, but the midi interface connected to each track.
    The 16 pads in line below would be assigned by default on midi muting tracks.
    Each time you go on a scene, the below pads are light or not (if there's midi infos or not on it)
    These infos (midi muting or not) can be send to an external midi controller.

That would be saved with the Xequence live.

On the right, same stuff.

While you've finished importing your main loops from Xequence preview, you may close it.

On the middle of the screen, two faders and a crossfader. ("main" midi volume)
    On top of each fader, tempo of the current track, and play/stop/next/previous, so for each track.
    You may launch clips from left or right interface independently. (so you can create remix on the fly, make transitions as you wish)

On the top screen (replacing the import midi songs), taking all witdh, "squares" that represent each live song, that you may load into slot 1 or 2 (left/right interface view), organize stuffs...

On the bottom, keyboards related to midi track selected. Just to play on top of the sequence if needed.

Special features:
    Needs a lot more of CC controls in Xequence (127 I guess should be the minimum...) as everything is midi learned.
    I mean controls for each track (12 seems not enough to map a whole bunch of synths...) or is it 12 for each midi tracks ? If yes, put it at least to 24 controls I think. (actually I'm using 20 assigned cc's with DRC, and 20 for Model 15, I don't think I'll go more than that, so 24 should be ok for most of people I guess)
    Allow MMC control.
    Allow midi out of CC's (to get feedback values on external midi controllers) on each needed tracks.
    Link.
    Midi clock that you may assign or not on each midi track.
    Oh, I forgot, swing midi controllable and dynamic time signature on each "midi desk". (that allows to insert a blank at the end of a track if you want to, or, modify a pattern, for instance from 4/4 to 3/4 to create some breaks live.

You can't edit, nor record anything midi based on the tracks. It's just a super midi player DJ desks based app.

Deal ? ;)

PS : please, no sampler, no IAA, no AUv3, no Audiobus, no state saving, no sound packs, no bullshits.
    Just midi that works out of the box since 1983.

• edited August 2018

@crony, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm not very good at live stuff, although I did DJ for a time back in 1483 or so ;) I think this is suited better for a company who has more experience with this. Xequence is totally "offline", and meant to be from the beginning! ;) But I appreciate your trust in Seven Systems' capabilities :)

I also have to disappoint you regarding Audiobus and state saving: Both of those are coming shortly in an update. I just had to succumb to the pressure of the forum and the fact that I promised to include AB support when the app was first released (which was curiously enough less than a year ago) :).

So, there you have it. But you can be relatively sure that none of the other bullshits are coming in the short term. ;)

• edited August 2018

@SevenSystems ah...too bad, I was quite excited with such cool description 😆
    Used to dj on the previous millenium too, I don’t want to anymore, but this way of playing tracks live, chained, one at the time, with subtitles mixing techniques is the most efficient basic workflow that I’m aware of.

To be able to organize midi as “samples” with midi clips , in 2 “desks” style, would be my dream...

Anyway, maybe one day... 😁
    I just don’t get your comment on xequence being an “offline” tool...I didn’t ask for any instagram integration either so... 🤪

All I can say right now, is that beat maker 3 and modstep, the only two advanced tools that I’m aware of, are making everything most likely badly, with an average ergonomy about everything.

They all are focusing in one song/track at the time, while everybody knows that a live performance will include at least 2 tracks...and the thing that is never included in these super thinking “all in one tools” is : what after track one ?...

And basically the answer is : ok after playing one track, that have crashed Link, two insert off Iaa , stuck midi notes here and there , (cos we can and will make everything once we’ve updated and understood 18 half backed SDK), best thing to do is to reboot the iPad , clean ghosts Iaa by pressing power then home button , twice (it’s better...) then kill a chicken then it will work fine.
    And your audience will really appreciate the trick.
    🤬

• @crony said:
    PS : please, no sampler, no IAA, no AUv3, no Audiobus, no state saving, no sound packs, no bullshits.

I would second that, @SevenSystems

Xequence has the potential to be a legendary App!
    And there is so much stuff that could be added to make it such legendary!

If you want to develop a host App, PLEASE just make a new app.
    They can have shared capabilities and code, but please leave Xequence as the MIDI monster that can do EVERYTHING.

I think, you already wrote down lots of the ideas and wishes from this forum ;)

You need money?
    Make this IAP...
    I buy any and all of them

• @tja yes, I need money. But you don't want to know what for ;)

Yes, there's no "major bullshit" planned after the Audiobus update (which is of course NO bullshit at all! :D). I do have an audio engine in Xequence hidden behind a flag, but if that ever gets finished, it will be a separate app "for the masses" :) So no worries.

• tjatja
    edited August 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    @tja yes, I need money. But you don't want to know what for ;)

Yes, there's no "major bullshit" planned after the Audiobus update (which is of course NO bullshit at all! :D). I do have an audio engine in Xequence hidden behind a flag, but if that ever gets finished, it will be a separate app "for the masses" :) So no worries.

Uh.
    Of course, AudioBus is required, of course :) ;) :p B)
    I'm so eagerly waiting, that I am short of asking for a Testflight invitation :D

Good to read, what you wrote!

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

Uh.
    Of course, AudioBus is required, of course :) ;) :p B)
    I'm so eagerly waiting, that I am short of asking for a Testflight invitation :D

Good to read, what you wrote!

I don't think you'll get it thru Testflight but maybe some other way ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

Man if we could trigger audio or place Audio in Xequence.... I would never leave the house again. 🤪

• @Chaztrip said:

@SevenSystems said:

Man if we could trigger audio or place Audio in Xequence.... I would never leave the house again. 🤪

:) There's several relatively decent ways to work with longer audio passages in a pure MIDI sequencer:

1) Slave a DAW with audio tracks to Xequence via MIDI Sync. That is the best option and basically gives you full hassle-free audio tracks (apart from having to switch between the two apps). Xequence's MIDI sync is extremely good. Unfortunately, the only iOS DAW that I currently know of that can slave to MIDI sync decently is BM2 (NOT 3! Funny, I know).

2) Use a long note for your audio track to trigger a sample in a... sampler. Of course, then you will have to start playback before the audio track starts, or you will either get no audio (Note Chasing off) or the audio will start at the beginning even if you start playing in the middle (Note Chasing on). An elegant way to avoid these problems is to draw a controller ramp from 0 to 127 along the length of your note and map that to Sample Offset, if your sampler supports that.

Yeah, I started doing vocal recording with a sampler in 1997 or so and didn't have real audio tracks either ;) that's how you develop such "m4d 0ldsch00l sk1llz" :)

• @Chaztrip no. Let's keep this app simple, and working, add audio with external apps if you want to, but leave audio out of Xequence... :)

• I do kind of wish xequence could have just one simple onboard sound, like just a sawtooth oscillator with an organ envelope and a low pass cutoff, so I could sort of work on the composition “in the abstract” with just xequence running, before deciding what synths to hook up to it.

• @JonLewis said:
    I do kind of wish xequence could have just one simple onboard sound, like just a sawtooth oscillator with an organ envelope and a low pass cutoff, so I could sort of work on the composition “in the abstract” with just xequence running, before deciding what synths to hook up to it.

Seconded.

• edited August 2018

@JonLewis @JohnnyGoodyear sorry, I must be missing something... launching a synth app takes just one tap on the home screen (per session!), why would an internal sound generator be required? :flushed:

• @SevenSystems said:
    @JonLewis @JohnnyGoodyear sorry, I must be missing something... launching a synth app takes just one tap on the home screen (per session!), why would an internal sound generator be required? :flushed:

I think what you are missing is the difference between a desire and a requirement :)