Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Build your own OP-1 ish in several weekends

Your entire music-making workflow, in one box.

Introducing the OTTO!
The OTTO is a complete hardware and software solution, with synths, a sampler, effects, sequencers, and studio modules. The interface is modal, easy to use, simple, but most of all, it encourages experimentation. The graphics are quirky, and the workflow is minimal.

https://github.com/topisani/OTTO

Comments

• Will there be a cow?

• Looks really interesting but my soldering skills are in no way good enough to build something like that !
    I’d certainly consider buying a completed or snapfix project.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Knobs?

Yeah, knobs??

My soldering is ok but no knobs, no chops.

• Does it really not have knobs ? D:

• edited August 2018

If you can build this, you can build a midi controller. Voila, knobs!

Edit. Follow the github link, they have a 3D printed prototype with knobs. It seems nothing is set in stone yet for UI, or I/O

• @CRAKROX said:
    Looks really interesting but my soldering skills are in no way good enough to build something like that !

I have the opposite problem: I could probably wire it up, but would be lost trying to get the software running.

• Looks neat. I have a couple Raspberry Pi laying around that don’t get used. I’ve never been able to make any meaningful music with them so a “passing build” status project is probably good enough. I guess that depends on what “passing” really means though.

For those that say there aren’t any knobs, there are. That is a picture of a prototype case the holes for the encoders are there.

• Sheesh. For the knob faction:

• As an added bonus you could probably get it to run Sunvox as well.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This does look very interesting..

• Interested in this. Any videos of a working unit yet? Curious to see/hear what’s onboard. Couldn’t find specifics on github but maybe someone can direct link to them?

What’s the rough total cost for a build inc all components?

https://github.com/topisani/OTTO-proto-1

Total cost there looks to be about US$200 - but you could save quite a bit by scavenging buttons from other gear.

The most sensible way to start would be to try running the software/OS on a desktop - maybe in a virtual machine - to see if it does what you want.

https://github.com/topisani/OTTO/wiki/Compiling-and-Running

• @audiblevideo said:
    Sheesh. For the knob faction:

Need moar knob :(

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Sheesh. For the knob faction:

Need moar knob :(

I was looking around after seeing

and seeing your comment @gonekrazy3000, and my search found this:
    ORTHO REMOTE

matte black
    over 2 year
    battery life

Uses bluetooth 4 low energy to communicate
    no software or drivers needed.

MIDI controller
    the ortho remote can be used as a wireless midi controller, to control logic, garage band or any other BLE-MIDI compatible software or devices.

works with iOS and android too

dual neodynium magnets
    non-slip silicon bottom

dimensions in mm: 68 X 23 (W X H)
    dimensions in inch: 2.67 X 0.88inch (W X H) weight: 104g / 0.23lbs

• @pauly said:

The most sensible way to start would be to try running the software/OS on a desktop - maybe in a virtual machine - to see if it does what you want.

https://github.com/topisani/OTTO/wiki/Compiling-and-Running

The whole point of the OP-1 is to have a cute little box with buttons and knobs to turn (not that there's anything wrong with that). It doesn't sound that great or do anything you can't just as easily do in ios or desktop.

• @gonekrazy3000

Moar Knobs

and even moar

• Even Better with an iPad

• The whole point of the OP-1 is to have a cute little box with buttons and knobs to turn (not that there's anything wrong with that). It doesn't sound that great or do anything you can't just as easily do in ios or desktop.

Yes, but do you really want to spend $200 and quite a few hours building something to find out that doesn't do what you want?
    Also, the physical design can be heavily modified according to which parameters you choose to add buttons or knobs for.

• edited August 2018

@audiblevideo said:
    Even Better with an iPad

Need more knob. 512 preferable :/
    Like the ones in this video:-

• @gonekrazy3000
    You realize of course that those 4 knobs are $800?!
    🤔😜

• Probably going to sell my OP-1, so you could save a whole load of time and just buy the real thing!

• @audiblevideo said:
    @gonekrazy3000
    🤔😜

Quite a steal if you ask me. (Btw. I've been doing a bit this entire time :p )

• @MonzoPro said:
    Probably going to sell my OP-1, so you could save a whole load of time and just buy the real thing!

Cor, I've always thought I would love an OP-1 and hover round the TE website on a regular basis but some unidentified force has stopped me clicking the buy button up until now. What is it about the OP-1 that falls short for you?

This open source version is buzzing round my head because it effectively becomes a thing where you can add your own features or squash issues that irritate. Will have to dig into the software to see if it lives up to that promise.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Probably going to sell my OP-1, so you could save a whole load of time and just buy the real thing!

Cor, I've always thought I would love an OP-1 and hover round the TE website on a regular basis but some unidentified force has stopped me clicking the buy button up until now. What is it about the OP-1 that falls short for you?

Probably the opposite to Dawdles, in that I’ve hardly used it. Pretty much mint this one.

No reflection on the OP-1, I like what it does, the way it works/sounds, but I could put the money to better use - monitors for example, which would fit in with my iPad/desktop workflow. I’ve also been offered a Maschine mk3 controller for a decent price, which again is more useful.

It’s a lovely thing, but a bit superfluous to my current setup.

Shame you’re not nearer, you could borrow it for a bit, see what you think.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @gonekrazy3000
    🤔😜

Quite a steal if you ask me. (Btw. I've been doing a bit this entire time :p )

I know. I just thought I’d go with it and see where it went. It led me to a few discoveries, one of which was the Teenage Engineering Bluetooth knob and one was another raspberry pi based project that seems pretty slick. Comes with a touch screen!

http://zynthian.org/

• edited August 2018

wow. zynthian looks awesome :D

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

Probably the opposite to Dawdles, in that I’ve hardly used it. Pretty much mint this one.

No reflection on the OP-1, I like what it does, the way it works/sounds, but I could put the money to better use - monitors for example, which would fit in with my iPad/desktop workflow. I’ve also been offered a Maschine mk3 controller for a decent price, which again is more useful.

It’s a lovely thing, but a bit superfluous to my current setup.

Shame you’re not nearer, you could borrow it for a bit, see what you think.

Yeah double shame is that I probably drove past your manor this morning on the way back from my mum's place.