Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• @anickt said:

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Ok, convinced. Will add this multiselect option also for @Carnbot Root key and for Mute/Choke group

Thanks!
    at the moment with the multiselect tool it's pretty impossible to select just a single keyzone of velocity samples without selecting some adjacent keyzones too, so not sure the best way around that. Maybe a single press on the keyboard could multi select all the velocity samples in the keyzone column somehow, like the "autoselect Zone from note" option but for all velocity zones.

@VirSyn said:

Have you thought about naming the samples before importing ? This way you can automate this all together.

Just take names like "piano_C0_ppp", "piano_C#0_ppp", ... , "piano_C8_fff"

Then AL takes care of all.

Yeah definitely going to try that next time, although would have to do all sample renaming on a computer first. I think the automap feature might need a brief video tutorial as I'm not sure I get the whole process but will definitely give it a try :)

FYI - There is an app that renames files so you don’t need to use computer. I haven’t used it in a while. I’ll see if I can find it.

Never mind. I thought it was iFiles but no... I’ll keep looking

hey, that sounds like a very useful app if its on ios.. look forward to you locating it..
    cheers anickt.
    another FYI. the Caustic “save rack to instrument” feature will save multiple layered synths etc to a key split set of samples already named properly for audiolayer to map automatically across the keyboard.. works perfectly. ( anickt and a few other Caustic afficianados already know this of course. )

• Just purchased AudioLayer after following this discussion for a few days and I have to say that I totally love it!! Coming from an old school Sampler background (Roland W-30, Yamaha TX16w), I gotta say that this app has filled a niche that's been sorely lacking ever since ...well, forever!
    AL is about as straight forward as an app can (and should) come, especially if you've ever worked with old school Samplers (see above and know that the TX16w is a p.i.t.a to work with).
    If you're into the "creative" and sound-mangling types of sounds, there might be other apps more suitable, but I'm convinced that you can do a LOT with AL once you dig in to it.

Anyway, awesome work and I'm so happy to finally have a real Sampler on iOS!!

P.S: Did I read somewhere that the SF2 format might be supported in future (single instruments would be fine)?

• @VirSyn said:
    We're evaluating the possibilities for public sharing of AudioLayer instruments/samples.

That will make the AudioLayer go viral for the folks that buy IAP's (in BeatHawk, Korg Module, Colossus Piano, iSymphonic, iFretless*, ThumbJam, etc.)

Until then I'm not recommending the AudioLayer App for those folks because the instruments provided aren't especially compelling against these carefully crafted sampled products.

I think a well curated sample library has value and should be marketed as an IAP in the Product. Like Korg does with the KApro and Scarbee Instruments. It also insures a degree of testing for the Library.

Don't miss the extra revenue opportunity and the ability to save everyone time getting the right sounds installed to make the music they envision. The disk streaming feature makes this compelling because we can push the AUv3 capabilities to it's limits in Cubasis, Auria Pro, AUM, ApeMatrix and any new AU Host Apps.

Then there's a whole category of "Sound Designers" that will use the Layering and audio processing tools here to make sounds that you'd usually expect from some non-OSC based synthesizer
    and that's probably where the Public files might prove effective especially if SoundCloud files mention the AL Instruments used.

• i'm finding a bug I think with a key Release layer mode with velocity layers, it doesn't matter what velocity you use the sample is triggered each time.

• edited August 2018

@McDtracy said:
    After this bass instrument is working we need to perfect sharing it wit idiots.i will volunteer to idiot proof loading.

@McDtracy said:

@VirSyn said:
    We're evaluating the possibilities for public sharing of AudioLayer instruments/samples.

That will make the AudioLayer go viral for the folks that buy IAP's (in BeatHawk, Korg Module, Colossus Piano, iSymphonic, iFretless*, ThumbJam, etc.)

Until then I'm not recommending the AudioLayer App for those folks because the instruments provided aren't especially compelling against these carefully crafted sampled products.

I think a well curated sample library has value and should be marketed as an IAP in the Product. Like Korg does with the KApro and Scarbee Instruments. It also insures a degree of testing for the Library.

Don't miss the extra revenue opportunity and the ability to save everyone time getting the right sounds installed to make the music they envision. The disk streaming feature makes this compelling because we can push the AUv3 capabilities to it's limits in Cubasis, Auria Pro, AUM, ApeMatrix and any new AU Host Apps.

Then there's a whole category of "Sound Designers" that will use the Layering and audio processing tools here to make sounds that you'd usually expect from some non-OSC based synthesizer
    and that's probably where the Public files might prove effective especially if SoundCloud files mention the AL Instruments used.

Lol I hear you!! :-) That should be nice to being able to share our instruments here on AB forum or via app. This is really time consuming, so I will do perhaps a few basses and other rare instruments for my iPhone, but not too much more. SF2 compatibility should be a nice bonus for AudioLayer. It’s also powerful to make low CPU usage multiple synths layers, I’ve made a few ones and I’m really happy with results. You can record in AL so making patches with a few layers/zones can be fast enough in a production process. But for better versatility, we certainly need to share our presets, and perhaps some iaps and SF2 compatibility. At this stage it can even be faster to make an SF2 in desktop environment and use an iOS SF2 player. But AudioLayer uses disk streaming, has LFO’s, etc... big potential!!

@VirSyn said:

@Janosax said:
    @VirSyn

I’ve done the update, release mode still don’t works, no sound. I set layer to key release but sound is still audible only on key down mode.

EDIT : release mode works with layer with ONLY ONE SAMPLE, but not multi samples. On this screenshot, that don’t works.

Finally found what made the problem is: The release velocity is 0 (zero) and i assume the your zones don't go down to velocity 0 ? Could you please check.

Ok I understand, and yes key release needs zones reaching 0 velocity.
    I’m new to making multisampled instruments, but could it be possible to link two layers, with first one with key down sending velocity/note to second one with key release. That way it should be possible to have multiple sounds for key release, in my case it’s finger sliding on bass strings for low velocity, stronger sounds of strings on bass wood for higher velocity, etc... For now it only works with one and only sample for key release. It sounds good for sure, bass is full of life, but with multi zones could be even better :)

• edited August 2018

I'm working to bring a complex Piano Sample Library into AudioLayer and focusing on re-naming every sample to use the format:

PerfectPiano_C0-D#0_f.wav
    (InstrumentName_NoteRange_Velocity) f = forte

Just the re-naming effort will take a lot of time because I want to
    use command line tools to map the current name to the desired naming syntax.

When I get the names right I still need to import all 120 samples individually right? (Arg... smart programmers design automation). For a professional programmer this type of looping over a list of files is 1st year stuff. For me it's using Google to re-learn pattern match/replace tools (sed, grep, awk, etc).

Currently, there are no bulk load/process samples from a folder option? (Understandable... just an early version of a great idea).

We are going to get there if every buys this App and helps fund the effort. I know most of you don't need or want this one and it is $15 but for me... buy it anyway. He added reverse sample!

Maybe he'll add transient detection for auto slicing too.

But only after bulk sample loading and re-using Open Sample Library standards to save all this labor intensive set up to hear something close to what we can just go out any buy for $5-10 per library type (Choirs, Orchestra Strings, Middle Eastern Kazoos).

Ok. Back to re-learning batch file renaming scripts in bash. Wish me luck and the patience to get the details right.

• edited August 2018

@McDtracy said:
    I'm working to bring a complex Piano Sample Library into AudioLayer and focusing on re-naming every sample to use the format:

PerfectPiano_C0-D#0_f.wav
    (InstrumentName_NoteRange_Velocity) f = forte

Just the re-naming effort will take a lot of time because I want to
    use command line tools to map the current name to the desired naming syntax.

When I get the names right I still need to import all 120 samples individually right? (Arg... smart programmers design automation). For a professional programmer this type of looping over a list of files is 1st year stuff. For me it's using Google to re-learn pattern match/replace tools (sed, grep, awk, etc).

Currently, there are no bulk load/process samples from a folder option? (Understandable... just an early version of a great idea).

We are going to get there if every buys this App and helps fund the effort. I know most of you don't need or want this one and it is $15 but for me... buy it anyway. He added reverse sample!

Maybe he'll add transient detection for auto slicing too.

But only after bulk sample loading and re-using Open Sample Library standards to save all this labor intensive set up to hear something close to what we can just go out any buy for $5-10 per library type (Choirs, Orchestra Strings, Middle Eastern Kazoos).

Ok. Back to re-learning batch file renaming scripts in bash. Wish me luck and the patience to get the details right.

You can load ALL samples in one and only time in AudioLayer from Files app. Just tap on select and then select all and import. Files naming will helps auto import so you will have nothing more to do!! :)

• @VirSyn wooow this App is a game changer for real..I can now select multiple samples and the app just does the rest.i might need to do some little changes but dam.you guys just made one of the best apps of the year.hope time stretching comes soon 😍😍

• @Janosax said:
    You can load ALL samples in one and only time in AudioLayer from Files app. Just tap on select and then select all and import. Files naming will helps auto import so you will have nothing more to do!! :)

This is good news!

Can you slip me a clue to how to do this?

Let's say I have all my named samples in a folder called Piano1000. Where do I move them to in AudioLayer's file structures? Once they exist in a Directory known to AudioLayer how to I get them associated with a playable Instrument also named "Piano1000" for example?

• @VirSyn @McDtracy Multi-sample import with auto mapping worked brilliantly for me. I created a bunch of WAV files with the following name syntax “Saw_f#4-b4” and saved them in a file in AudioLayer using the files app. Then I simply created a new instrument, browsed to that folder and selected all samples and chose the middle option to automap. AudioLayer did the rest mapping my sounds across the keyboard with perfectly mapped zones :)

• @Trueyorky said:
    @VirSyn @McDtracy Multi-sample import with auto mapping worked brilliantly for me. I created a bunch of WAV files with the following name syntax “Saw_f#4-b4” and saved them in a file in AudioLayer using the files app. Then I simply created a new instrument, browsed to that folder and selected all samples and chose the middle option to automap. AudioLayer did the rest mapping my sounds across the keyboard with perfectly mapped zones :)

Thanks!

• @VirSyn hello there.I have a question about multiple samples import.when I import let’s say 3 samples and then try to import additional 3 and choose the third option (automap sequenced),the new samples overlap the old ones.is there a way to make the new samples load from the next empty note?i tried creating new layer but it’s the same.i have to move them manually.thnaks in advance for the reply

• @Paa89 said:
    @VirSyn wooow this App is a game changer for real..I can now select multiple samples and the app just does the rest.i might need to do some little changes but dam.you guys just made one of the best apps of the year.hope time stretching comes soon 😍😍

wish I knew about this menu before :smiley:
    I'd been importing all samples individually and didn't realise it could do sequenced without having to rename first. This removes a lot of hassle.

• @Carnbot 😂😂😂i was doing the same till I read about it over here.but there is still one thing I wish to figure out.if I load some samples and then try to load more samples,instead of loading the new samples onto empty notes,the app overlap the notes.does it happen to you too?

• @Paa89 said:
    @Carnbot 😂😂😂i was doing the same till I read about it over here.but there is still one thing I wish to figure out.if I load some samples and then try to load more samples,instead of loading the new samples onto empty notes,the app overlap the notes.does it happen to you too?

no you can get around that if you duplicate one zone and move it up above the others and use that as your root, then if you import multiple to replace that one they appear above it :)

• But moving multiple zones at once is difficult, not sure if that's possible, you can extend them but looks like we need another gesture for that @VirSyn The only way seems to be extending them in one direction and then shrinking them again.

• @Carnbot her you go.this is how I move multiple zones

• edited August 2018

@Paa89 said:
    @Carnbot her you go.this is how I move multiple zones

Ah yes, it works :) thanks for that. I tried that before as it was the obvious thing to do but must have missed the zone. You need to zoom in on a 12.9 as the zones are pretty easy to miss the touch area.

• @Carnbot said:

@Paa89 said:
    @Carnbot her you go.this is how I move multiple zones

Ah yes, it works :) thanks for that. I tried that before as it was the obvious thing to do but must have missed the zone. You need to zoom in on a 12.9 as the zones are pretty easy to miss the touch area.

Is your 12.9 2017 model or 2018?what daw do you use and how is the cpu when using Audio units in general?

• @Paa89 said:

2017, don't think 2018 version is out yet. Should be in a few months.

I have most of the iOS daws which I use infrequently. But I prefer using apeMatrix, AUM, AB3 with sequencers and Audio unit workflow. Always trying out different things though. If I really want to use a DAW I prefer using Desktop Ableton Live, but depends on my location of course. Half the time my ipad/s are in my studio next to my computer and plugged into it with my ICA4 so it's more of a complimentary workflow I'm after. However since getting the 12.9 I'm surprised at how much I want to stay in it and much more is possible as AUs are released.

cpu usage is pretty great depending on the apps used but you always want more of course. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Paa89 said:
    @VirSyn wooow this App is a game changer for real..I can now select multiple samples and the app just does the rest.i might need to do some little changes but dam.you guys just made one of the best apps of the year.hope time stretching comes soon 😍😍

I'd been importing all samples individually and didn't realise it could do sequenced without having to rename first. This removes a lot of hassle.

So is this menu in beta not seeing it if I touch the screen just seeing this ?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:

@Paa89 said:

Choose "Select sample" then in Files, choose "select" and then you can select multiple files, then press open.

.....after that you get the import menu in AL where you can choose Automap

• edited August 2018

@Carnbot said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:

@Paa89 said:

Choose "Select sample" then in Files, choose "select" and then you can select multiple files, then press open.

Oh wow, had no idea. Thank you!

Would be great to get zoom on the zones panel so easier to select single notes...

• @Carnbot said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:

@Paa89 said:

Thanks @Carnbot that works great.

• After following this discussion I may be catching the sampler bug!

Here are a few things I noticed, which I've also sent to virsyn.net support:

1. My sample files were named according to the pattern:

Instrument-A#1-99...
    Instrument-A#1-119...
    Instrument-A#1-127...

Three velocities per note, but AFAICT, AL doesn't understand this pattern. Each sample was mapped to velocities 0-127.

Support for a pattern string setting may be needed, as dorky as that sounds.

(Speaking of text entry, it would be nice if AL generated names for the instruments. For me, thinking up names is even less enjoyable than typing on a touchscreen.)

1. What MIDI note is A#1?

The MIDI standard defines middle C as note 60 but it doesn't say if this is C2 or C3 or C4, and different mfgs have chosen differently. For this reason many MIDI apps will let the user choose - usually between two options.

1. The velocity controller up-down arrows can severely overlap the note range left-right arrows, e.g., if defining a velocity range of 120-127.
  • I seem to have hit peak AudioLayer performance on ipad Pro 2

I have about 13 velocity layers x 87 samples each on one layer and similar a layer of release notes. Sounds great in standalone but weird things are happening like release notes layers have to be deleted to make it work.

There is also increased latency by a noticeable amount. and worse I've broken the AU version of the instrument. The AU version of the sampled instrument, even lighter versions of it, as I've saved different versions with lower amounts of samples always crash now.

So looks like I'm going to have to delete lots of zones to get to the acceptable amount. The amount of simultaneous voices and cpu are within acceptable limits here, just maybe the amount of files to reference are too many?

I guess we can't expect it to be as powerful as desktop sampler and it's sounds great with half that number of samples or less but is this likely to be max performance issue and not a bug? @VirSyn

I've also discovered another issue with icloud option, if you turn off the icloud option to local storage then the presets disappear. I'm not sure how to transfer them over from iCloud to local. If I do a test and create a preset in the local storage option, this preset doesn't show in the documents folder. So I'm confused about this, could be another bug not sure. Where are the local presets saved?

Love this app but i need to go and break something else for a bit :D

• Quick tip you can load 2 instances of AudioLayer AU into n-Keyboards Pro to trigger 2 instances at once and the keys in the app are quite nicely laid out and there are freeze and midi options aswell. Easy to set up if you don’t want to use AUM or ApeMatrix etc.

• @mojozart said:
    After following this discussion I may be catching the sampler bug!

Here are a few things I noticed, which I've also sent to virsyn.net support:

1. My sample files were named according to the pattern:

Instrument-A#1-99...
    Instrument-A#1-119...
    Instrument-A#1-127...

Three velocities per note, but AFAICT, AL doesn't understand this pattern. Each sample was mapped to velocities 0-127.

Support for a pattern string setting may be needed, as dorky as that sounds.

(Speaking of text entry, it would be nice if AL generated names for the instruments. For me, thinking up names is even less enjoyable than typing on a touchscreen.)

See here for the correct naming scheme that will work.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/529052/#Comment_529052

• Am I missing some way to add midi ccs to knobs?

I saw earlier that someone had gotten pcs to change instruments, that is not working for me. In standalone fyi.

Otherwise working well standalone and as AU in Modstep.

• @Multicellular said:
    Am I missing some way to add midi ccs to knobs?

I saw earlier that someone had gotten pcs to change instruments, that is not working for me. In standalone fyi.

Otherwise working well standalone and as AU in Modstep.

Pretty certain the dev said he had disabled MIDI for now.