Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• Great update just rolled in, fixed the screen trigger on resize issue. I still get crashing sometimes when switching to full screen mode, usually happens if it's being sent midi at the same time.

• @Carnbot said:
    Great update just rolled in, fixed the screen trigger on resize issue. I still get crashing sometimes when switching to full screen mode, usually happens if it's being sent midi at the same time.

Indeed, appreciate being able to turn off the level envelope, too!

• edited August 2018

@VirSyn

I’ve done the update, release mode still don’t works, no sound. I set layer to key release but sound is still audible only on key down mode.

EDIT : release mode works with layer with ONLY ONE SAMPLE, but not multi samples. On this screenshot, that don’t works.

• @VirSyn thanks for the quick/helpful updates--much appreciated! Is there a way to set choke groups across a layer or zone? Or do we have to assign choke groups (or mute groups as they are called in the UI) per sample?

• @VirSyn WOW the latest update takes this app to a new creative level. Awesome :)

• @RockySmalls said:
    @VirSyn

ok, more reportage on the AudioLayer app.
    I am getting quite noticable latency when playing the Au plug version in Cubasis.
    this is on an ipad pro 10.5” with ios 11 installed.. and with Cubasis buffer latency set to ultra low. no change when setting it to just ‘low’
    there is distinct lag between key press and sound.. the stand alone AudioLayer using the same preset reacts instantaneously and the sample is cropped with no gap at the start.
    is anyone else noticing this?

aha! this new 1.0.2 version seems to fix the Latency problem in cubasis. psychic dev or an early bird bug blaster? the crowd cheers either way..

• edited August 2018

Other than starting a new thread I thought I’d ask here. My iPad was stolen and I’ve been using my 7plus to make music. I have pretty much everything that is worth having in my opinion and a lot I for sure don’t need. I’m an appaholic. But the question is: Do I need Audio Layer? I like to program stuff. Most importantly to me is fun. Is this thing fun to use and are the results interesting. Any feedback would be really appreciated as I’m having a mini conniption trying to decide. Thanks.
    I might add. I own a bunch of Kirg apps and I haven’t picked up Imonopoly yet. I just have a problem with the midi side of their stuff. Like ODYSSEi sounds pretty good to me but hardly use it due to? Well I don’t know.... I just don’t. On the fence between mono or Audio Layer?

• @Morgman73 said:
    Other than starting a new thread I thought I’d ask here. My iPad was stolen and I’ve been using my 7plus to make music. I have pretty much everything that is worth having in my opinion and a lot I for sure don’t need. I’m an appaholic. But the question is: Do I need Audio Layer? I like to program stuff. Most importantly to me is fun. Is this thing fun to use and are the results interesting. Any feedback would be really appreciated as I’m having a mini conniption trying to decide. Thanks.
    I might add. I own a bunch of Kirg apps and I haven’t picked up Imonopoly yet. I just have a problem with the midi side of their stuff. Like ODYSSEi sounds pretty good to me but hardly use it due to? Well I don’t know.... I just don’t. On the fence between mono or Audio Layer?

Audiolayer feels more like a workhorse to me than a fun app. I've been very productive with it but haven't lost an hour doing something fun but sorta pointless. For pure fun StarCraft is my new jam.

• @lukesleepwalker Thanks. Yes I have Spacecraft and it’s super fun. But how are the results with Audiolayer for you so far? Are you coming up with new and interesting things? Thanks bud.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @VirSyn thanks for the quick/helpful updates--much appreciated! Is there a way to set choke groups across a layer or zone? Or do we have to assign choke groups (or mute groups as they are called in the UI) per sample?

Mute ( Choke ) groups are universal in AudioLayer and work across Layers. You assign a group to zone only and this prohibits concurrent sounding zones with the same group id across all layers.

• @Janosax said:
    @VirSyn

I’ve done the update, release mode still don’t works, no sound. I set layer to key release but sound is still audible only on key down mode.

EDIT : release mode works with layer with ONLY ONE SAMPLE, but not multi samples. On this screenshot, that don’t works.

Finally found what made the problem is: The release velocity is 0 (zero) and i assume the your zones don't go down to velocity 0 ? Could you please check.

• @RockySmalls said:
    @VirSyn
    hello, and congrats on the fine app.. lots of nice stuff here .. the auto mapping choices are great.. round robin and lfo’s all welcome
    on first dabbling the most obvious thing I personally would have most use of that isn’t there already.. is some Au automation for ‘some’ of the parameters..
    even if it was only at instrument level ( doing this for layers AND zones might be a complex headache both for the coder AND in the end possibly for the end user )
    But ... at the instrument level it would be very useful to me and maybe others if , for instance, the filter cut off and resonance, the LFO rate for filter, pitch and level,
    the panning ( though i appreciate that can usually be done in the DAW of choice so not so important )
    and possibly , if you are inclined, and because they are not so easy to manipulate by any other method.. the Effects parameters.
    Sample loop point ( or at least start point ) would be the icing on the cake , but with all those zones ‘n’ layers might not be possible except if the user sticks to simple one sample, one zone instruments for that to happen.
    I know some of these are available in the midi mapping and there is a sort of workaround assigning things to the mod wheel.. but there is only one of those and Au automation is so much quicker and intuitive generally... maybe, if you have time, rather than us wait for the manual, you could put the midi cc mapping up here on the forum as a post??
    I much appreciate your attention and thanks once again for bringing this instrument to IOS for us to enjoy.

For the effect parameter AU Automation is already there, the others where postponed here due to the difficulty handling a variable amount of potentially unlimited parameters. We're seeking for a pragmatic solution and for the sake of compatibility it was better not to implement a simple solution now which breaks later. There is also no MIDI cc at the moment which i could give you. But automation ( including sample start / loop ) will come of course !

• @VirSyn
    This a is a great instrument and makes very realistic instruments possible :) but what are the limitations of the streaming engine? I've been setting up a very large instrument with many velocity layers, at the moment it's got 6 for every key. Since adding the last two if I send midi chord sequences to it, I'm getting glitches in the sound whilst the cpu is not being taxed at all. Is that a bug or is it because the streaming engine can't keep up with chords and that many different samples to stream at once? (I'm using a fair bit of humanisation to get random velocity).

• @Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn
    This a is a great instrument and makes very realistic instruments possible :) but what are the limitations of the streaming engine? I've been setting up a very large instrument with many velocity layers, at the moment it's got 6 for every key. Since adding the last two if I send midi chord sequences to it, I'm getting glitches in the sound whilst the cpu is not being taxed at all. Is that a bug or is it because the streaming engine can't keep up with chords and that many different samples to stream at once? (I'm using a fair bit of humanisation to get random velocity).

If this is happening in AU only then it's a bug which is already fixed in the current beta. On an iPad Pro 2nd gen you should be able to get 600-800 voices without filters playing concurrently and even hundreds of zones should be no problem.

• edited August 2018

@VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn

If this is happening in AU only then it's a bug which is already fixed in the current beta. On an iPad Pro 2nd gen you should be able to get 600-800 voices without filters playing concurrently and even hundreds of zones should be no problem.

Yeah I'm on ipad pro 2nd gen 12.9 with the AU so I'm hoping this is a fixable bug then :).

I find the standalone is good for setting up instruments but not so good for use in play since you can't choose a midi port, which makes it difficult if you need to change the midi with a midi filter before sending to it. I hope you can add port selection to it sometime :)

edit: I'm also finding it happens with the standalone IAA app as well. Getting dsp spikes in AUM with chords. Same in apeMatrix but for some reason the spikes aren't seen on the cpu meter but the audio breakup is the same.

• @VirSyn said:

@RockySmalls said:
    @VirSyn
    hello, and congrats on the fine app.. lots of nice stuff here .. the auto mapping choices are great.. round robin and lfo’s all welcome
    on first dabbling the most obvious thing I personally would have most use of that isn’t there already.. is some Au automation for ‘some’ of the parameters..
    even if it was only at instrument level ( doing this for layers AND zones might be a complex headache both for the coder AND in the end possibly for the end user )
    But ... at the instrument level it would be very useful to me and maybe others if , for instance, the filter cut off and resonance, the LFO rate for filter, pitch and level,
    the panning ( though i appreciate that can usually be done in the DAW of choice so not so important )
    and possibly , if you are inclined, and because they are not so easy to manipulate by any other method.. the Effects parameters.
    Sample loop point ( or at least start point ) would be the icing on the cake , but with all those zones ‘n’ layers might not be possible except if the user sticks to simple one sample, one zone instruments for that to happen.
    I know some of these are available in the midi mapping and there is a sort of workaround assigning things to the mod wheel.. but there is only one of those and Au automation is so much quicker and intuitive generally... maybe, if you have time, rather than us wait for the manual, you could put the midi cc mapping up here on the forum as a post??
    I much appreciate your attention and thanks once again for bringing this instrument to IOS for us to enjoy.

For the effect parameter AU Automation is already there, the others where postponed here due to the difficulty handling a variable amount of potentially unlimited parameters. We're seeking for a pragmatic solution and for the sake of compatibility it was better not to implement a simple solution now which breaks later. There is also no MIDI cc at the moment which i could give you. But automation ( including sample start / loop ) will come of course !

Hi @VirSyn
    this is great news to get on a sunny saturday morning :)
    BUT i have to say I thought I had already tried Au automation for the Effects in Cubasis already and no joy.
    So I just went back to it with the newest update... and there is definitely no Au automation happening for AudioLayer Effects in Cubasis still.. moving any parameter with the red WRITE button on doesn’t record and there is no automation lane revealed for the parameter in question. is it a bug? or something to do with the cubasis way of revealing automation only for recorded parameters? ( i actually like that tidy way of doing it and was sorry when Korg bowed down to mob pressure and took it away from Gadget )
    .. or by ‘ already there ‘ do you mean already in the code but not implemented yet?

also... did you have any thoughts on the crossfade for Alt looping and sample end ( sorry.. coming across all needy and that but would love to know if its even vaguely considered )

• @RockySmalls said:

Hi @VirSyn
    BUT i have to say I thought I had already tried Au automation for the Effects in Cubasis already and no joy.
    So I just went back to it with the newest update... and there is definitely no Au automation happening for AudioLayer Effects in Cubasis still.. moving any parameter with the red WRITE button on doesn’t record and there is no automation lane revealed for the parameter in question. is it a bug? or something to do with the cubasis way of revealing automation only for recorded parameters? ( i actually like that tidy way of doing it and was sorry when Korg bowed down to mob pressure and took it away from Gadget )
    .. or by ‘ already there ‘ do you mean already in the code but not implemented yet?

also... did you have any thoughts on the crossfade for Alt looping and sample end ( sorry.. coming across all needy and that but would love to know if its even vaguely considered )

The FX parameters are visible and working in AUM and ApeMatrix.

• @Trueyorky said:

@RockySmalls said:

Hi @VirSyn

The FX parameters are visible and working in AUM and ApeMatrix.

ah! then it’s a cubasis glitch..
    @LFS please meet @Virsyn :)
    though i am sure you are already familiar with each other..

• @VirSyn
    Is there a shortcut for setting all samples mapped to a key to the same root note? At the moment it seems like I have to do each one individually which can take ages on a large instrument. Multiselect here would be useful :)

• @Morgman73 said:
    @lukesleepwalker Thanks. Yes I have Spacecraft and it’s super fun. But how are the results with Audiolayer for you so far? Are you coming up with new and interesting things? Thanks bud.

Yes, I am coming up with new and interesting things because of two things: (1) AL allows me to quickly and easily design sounds by combining other sounds. (2) The sample tweaking (loop, reverse, pitch, filters) is good. Think of it as a hub for sound design.

• @Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn
    Is there a shortcut for setting all samples mapped to a key to the same root note? At the moment it seems like I have to do each one individually which can take ages on a large instrument. Multiselect here would be useful :)

As you may have seen AL has now multiselect editing for loop and release modes and reverse. If you have more than one zone selected these parameters turn blue and editings apply for all selected zones. But i haven't thought about root key. Why do you want to have them all at the same key ?

• @VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn

As you may have seen AL has now multiselect editing for loop and release modes and reverse. If you have more than one zone selected these parameters turn blue and editings apply for all selected zones. But i haven't thought about root key. Why do you want to have them all at the same key ?

Yes, this so handy! I read your post above about mute groups and understand your design decision. However, there are times when constructing drum kits where I just want to quickly choke all zones to one group. Right now, I believe I have to set each one individually. But with multi select option, i could set it once for all samples in zones I select for kit?

• @VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn

Yeah that's useful.

But it's for when you want to select all the vertical velocity zones/samples of a single keyzone and then apply the same root note to them e.g a Piano which has many different velocities sampled for each note. Because when I'm importing and placing samples in the individual key zones these aren't automatically the correct root note. So if I want to change all the velocity based samples of a keyzone to the same note I have to do them all individually, select the sample, then press the waveform view, then press "root", press "next note", then press the note on the keyboard. But it seems there should be a way of automatically assigning the root note of a sample to the same keyzone it's placed in (if it's a single keyzone)

This is for when you have individual samples for every note on the keyboard, if you see what I mean.
    So if you are doing this across 87 keys and each key has 7 samples, you have to do this process 609 times and that's just for one layer :)

maybe there's already a way I'm missing though :)

• @lukesleepwalker Ok I’m sold. Gonna hit the download button now. Thanks a million.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn

Yes, this so handy! I read your post above about mute groups and understand your design decision. However, there are times when constructing drum kits where I just want to quickly choke all zones to one group. Right now, I believe I have to set each one individually. But with multi select option, i could set it once for all samples in zones I select for kit?

Ok, convinced. Will add this multiselect option also for @Carnbot Root key and for Mute/Choke group

• @Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn

Yeah that's useful.

But it's for when you want to select all the vertical velocity zones/samples of a single keyzone and then apply the same root note to them e.g a Piano which has many different velocities sampled for each note. Because when I'm importing and placing samples in the individual key zones these aren't automatically the correct root note. So if I want to change all the velocity based samples of a keyzone to the same note I have to do them all individually, select the sample, then press the waveform view, then press "root", press "next note", then press the note on the keyboard. But it seems there should be a way of automatically assigning the root note of a sample to the same keyzone it's placed in (if it's a single keyzone)

This is for when you have individual samples for every note on the keyboard, if you see what I mean.
    So if you are doing this across 87 keys and each key has 7 samples, you have to do this process 609 times and that's just for one layer :)

maybe there's already a way I'm missing though :)

Have you thought about naming the samples before importing ? This way you can automate this all together.

Just take names like "piano_C0_ppp", "piano_C#0_ppp", ... , "piano_C8_fff"

Then AL takes care of all.

• @VirSyn said:

Ok, convinced. Will add this multiselect option also for @Carnbot Root key and for Mute/Choke group

Thanks!
    at the moment with the multiselect tool it's pretty impossible to select just a single keyzone of velocity samples without selecting some adjacent keyzones too, so not sure the best way around that. Maybe a single press on the keyboard could multi select all the velocity samples in the keyzone column somehow, like the "autoselect Zone from note" option but for all velocity zones.

@VirSyn said:

Have you thought about naming the samples before importing ? This way you can automate this all together.

Yeah definitely going to try that next time, although would have to do all sample renaming on a computer first. I think the automap feature might need a brief video tutorial as I'm not sure I get the whole process but will definitely give it a try :)

• @VirSyn said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:
    @VirSyn

Thanks for considering it! This app really does the trick in my workflow.

• edited August 2018

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Thanks!
    at the moment with the multiselect tool it's pretty impossible to select just a single keyzone of velocity samples without selecting some adjacent keyzones too, so not sure the best way around that. Maybe a single press on the keyboard could multi select all the velocity samples in the keyzone column somehow, like the "autoselect Zone from note" option but for all velocity zones.

@VirSyn said:

Yeah definitely going to try that next time, although would have to do all sample renaming on a computer first. I think the automap feature might need a brief video tutorial as I'm not sure I get the whole process but will definitely give it a try :)

FYI - There is an app that renames files so you don’t need to use computer. I haven’t used it in a while. I’ll see if I can find it.

Never mind. I thought it was iFiles but no... I’ll keep looking

• @anickt said:

Thanks, would be interested to see if any app could help here.

@VirSyn
    automap looks useful but more designed for filling in gaps in which you don't have a sample?
    for importing already sampled instruments with hundreds of samples you still have to rename every individual sample which isn't much time saving, unless I've yet to work out a good way to do it. Would need a script to auto rename everything correctly, if AL recognised numbers rather than just notes this could help as it's easier to rename files with number increments.

I'd love to see drag and drop here, if you could drag and drop folders from Files app and it took the incremental folder contents and mapped everything that way, or dragged multiple files onto a key. Maybe that's hard to achieve though :)