Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App that mimics delay via midi notes?

Hello all,

Is there an app that will receive midi note input, and then output midi notes that simulate delay? So, if I want 1/8 delay, I play a single note and the app automatically spits out midi notes of decreasing velocity at 1/8 bar increments? And the velocity of the 'delay' can be altered like feedback/mix of traditional audio delay?

Comments

• edited November 2015

@subluxator said:
    Hello all,

If so I'm not aware of it. In the past I duplicated MIDI tracks, moved them ahead by my delay amount/snap to grid and velocity adjusted to taste, then run them through the same module. Though it is time consuming; I can see why you'd want that feature.

I'll go ahead and say 'you're welcome' for being of absolutely no help.

• I think midiSequencer has a delay function.

• edited November 2015

It's a cool idea, the Nord Lead 2 has that, you could make cool evolving echos by setting up the velocity to do things other than just change the volume.

A MIDI "effects" pedal app would be the bee's knees, like filters and transformers, echo and looper.

@bsantoro said:
    I think midiSequencer has a delay function.

Was just checking out the MIDI FX in midiSequencer, looks interesting for sure. It also states you can use the effects, live, on midi input, rather than just the 16 step sequencer:

http://amssoftware.org/manual/midiFx_manual.pdf

The effects types, from the manual:

Echoes – play copies of the step notes inbetween steps, often at different
    pitches and tempos, thereby creating
    interesting rhythms and beats.

>

o
    Compressor/Limiter – reduces the velocity of steps above a threshold value
    allowing you to quieten a melody. A separate gain will boost the velocity again.
    o

>

Limiter – to crop notes above and below thresholds – can be defined on note
    pitch, velocity or channel.
    It is also possible to use this as a randomizer. Notes
    can be conformed to scale after the transform.
    o

>

Filter – used to silence steps that fall in one of up to 4 ranges you can specify.
    The range can specify notes, velocity or channel.
    o

>

Ostinato – is an addition step note, played at the same time as the step note
    but at a different pitch. So it will follow
    the step note. It is possible to conform
    this ostinato note to the key scale. Also, the length of the ostinato note can be
    made shorter or longer (relative to the step note).
    o

>

Remap – used to modify a step value (note, velocity or channel) to a single
    value. Up to 4 ranges can be specified.
    You could use this to force all notes to a
    single midi channel say.
    o

>

Transpose – used to modify a step value (note, velocity or channel) by adding a
    a value to the existing step value. Up to 4 ranges can be specified. Notes can
    also be conformed to a music scale. This could operate like midiSequencer
    Transpose, but here you can quickly switch between up to 4 settings.
    o

>

Velocity Switch – used to modify a step channel based upon the steps velocity.
    Up to 4 ranges can be specified allowing you to velocity map. This effect allows
    you to play to louder to different inst
    ruments than those you play softly too.
    o

>

Probability – represents a % chance that
    this step will play normally. Lower
    this, to have midiFx ignore the step.

The Velocity switch is really interesting, play a different sound depending how hard you hit the key.

• In the 80's I used to use a hardware MIDI router - the MX8 - that had MIDI effects. Very cool. Now thanks to Tony I finally have them again.

• As bsantoro said, MidiSequencer has midi echo. It also has a midi effects rack that can be toggled on or off per step. In fact, this step sequencer is a little gold mine of bits to tweak.

• just checking out the MIDI FX in midiSequencer, looks interesting for sure. It also states you can use the effects, live, on midi input, rather than just the 16 step sequencer:

Say what? Had no idea it'd do all of that magic in real time.

• midiSequencer can play midi input through step1 - so add fx to step one and you have midi fx applied to input midi. By applying the optional midi thru you can play notes out (incl fx notes).

When I have time, will put this into it's own app - as currently it just lacks two things 1) midi off that's related to your midi input note off (rather than the step length) and 2) realtime record of input.

• @midiSequencer said:
    When I have time, will put this into it's own app - as currently it just lacks two things 1) midi off that's related to your midi input note off (rather than the step length) and 2) realtime record of input.

That'd be an instabuy for me.

• @syrupcore said:

@midiSequencer said:

That'd be an instabuy for me.

Absolutely, it would be very unique and special to have a standalone midi effects app. The list of the effects in midisequencer is intriguing. Ostinato, velocity switch, transpose, and echo, in particular, sound very cool sounding, for live playing.

• on my list to do.... :)
    I've already have a-near working version of this using midi note on & off properly, but felt it didn't quite belong in MidiSequencer as it doesn't relate to steps.

• Would the MIDI FX app be a single channel/effects thing or multi-channel? I'm currently dreaming of it having four channels/effects sets and combining it with MIDI Steps.

• @midiSequencer said:
    midiSequencer can play midi input through step1 - so add fx to step one and you have midi fx applied to input midi. By applying the optional midi thru you can play notes out (incl fx notes).

@Processaurus pointed me to this thread because I was asking about a midi fx app for live input (Thanks). Looks like @midiSequencer might have the solution for my problems! So I hope the stand alone fx app is coming soon. I'm particularly interested in playing arpeggiated and non arpeggiated harmonized chords with my KMI 12 Step pedal. And I was thinking something modular with similar possibilities as Ableton live's midi racks and effects with chaining, zone splitting etc. would be incredibly useful! Is it coming?

• @midiSequencer said:
    on my list to do.... :)
    I've already have a-near working version of this using midi note on & off properly, but felt it didn't quite belong in MidiSequencer as it doesn't relate to steps.

I would LOVE and AU midi effect suite with a whole range of fun realtime midi manipulation... to be used primarily with other apps like StepPoly and Rozetta... Delay, Chord (intervals), Mirror (both up down and L/R), Offset (for note, velocity, etc...). One thing would be a matrix style thing where you just select an incoming signal, and route to various operations... Happy to buy your new app!!

• @scottsunn said:

@midiSequencer said:
    on my list to do.... :)

I would LOVE and AU midi effect suite with a whole range of fun realtime midi manipulation... to be used primarily with other apps like StepPoly and Rozetta... Delay, Chord (intervals), Mirror (both up down and L/R), Offset (for note, velocity, etc...). One thing would be a matrix style thing where you just select an incoming signal, and route to various operations... Happy to buy your new app!!

funny you should mention that ;) I'm currently converting my midi fx into auv3 fx. One is ready now.

• funny you should mention that ;) I'm currently converting my midi fx into auv3 fx. One is ready now.

oh wow! this is exciting!
    imagining the possibilities of midi fx in an environment like apematrix - with all those lfo's :) Things could get very interesting...

• @palm said:

funny you should mention that ;) I'm currently converting my midi fx into auv3 fx. One is ready now.

imagining the possibilities of midi fx in an environment like apematrix - with all those lfo's :) Things could get very interesting...

yes exposing au parameters allows a lot of automation control.

• @palm said:

» show previous quotes

yes exposing au parameters allows a lot of automation control.

OH😮😲

• Shameless plug but KRFT has a MIDI transform cell with some fun stuff see =>