Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Group the loop or looperverse

Comments

• thanks Dubby

• @kobamoto said:
    thanks Dubby

Cheers mate!

• edited August 2018

@Dubbylabby said:

@kobamoto said:
    thanks Dubby

Cheers mate!

Great to be reminded about these powerful tools, big thanks!

• @Dubbylabby said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Has to be said (again) that Jack's demo is bloody brilliant. So simple, so clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=G4OMTKwQp98

Yep. That video pretty sums up the basic workflow. Now add IAA/AUv3 to Audio inputs, AUv3 on clip slots and advanced midi bindings (includding bluetooth) to imagine where is going at next update. Few snapshots.

Remember to click > to see the three pics.

Good to see. But you know I'm expecting another video just as inspiring as the first :) The standard has been set!

• I’m too lazy for make a video so why not to drop the ball on the GTL forum? Maybe some helpful user will catch it! :smiley:

• I've been keeping my eye on Group the loop for a while now, it's one of those apps I know is in my future, but I was surprised about some of the Looperverse features, might have to pick that one up soon

• Yes it’s powerful!

• @Dubbylabby said:
    I’m too lazy for make a video so why not to drop the ball on the GTL forum? Maybe some helpful user will catch it! :smiley:

I'm waiting for Jack or no one :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    I’m too lazy for make a video so why not to drop the ball on the GTL forum? Maybe some helpful user will catch it! :smiley:

• @Dubbylabby said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Haha, love it!

I’ll try and put together another instructional video then. Maybe demonstate some of the newer features now the update is out.

Meanwhile, here is a little video I made for the App Store preview.

• Group the loop just got a nice update including AUv3 effects support

• edited August 2018

@jmarshallgtl said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Haha, love it!

I’ll try and put together another instructional video then. Maybe demonstate some of the newer features now the update is out.

Meanwhile, here is a little video I made for the App Store preview.

looking forward to your instructional videos!

Q: does GTL have time stretching?

• @kobamoto yes, you can switch the algorithm between pitch change and time stretch.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @Dubbylabby Damn. Now I’m thinking about getting group the loop.

Feel free to ask any question and I will try to answer them. If you check the GTL forum you will find some interesting topics about features. It’s quiet due users aren’t too much active and development maybe is taking so long (meanwhile Apple wrecks each iOS version a bit more making people like me ditching the platform for live gigs purpose) but it’s amazing app that worth every penny if you are into serious looping and backing tracks. The same could be said over Quantiloop pro and probably Loopverse. Different approach could be the help in decision making.

You advised Loopy HD for my purpose (sax, internal iPad keys bass and drum apps via Audiobus). What about these others? I do want to do A-A-B-A, Blues with a bridge, etc. song forms, since I'm a Jazz musician. I didn't know there were so many good looping apps!

• @Skyscrapersax you had asked about Audiobus integration for a looper--and Loopy and Audiobus are developed by the same guy, so as seamless as you can get! That said, with the release of Group the Loop this morning, you now have Link Start/Stop (works great with AudioBus and apps in AB) and AudioBus support in GTL. So, you should def take a look at GTL if you are interested in looping for different song structures (which Loopy doesn't do very easily).

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @kobamoto yes, you can switch the algorithm between pitch change and time stretch.

nice...

• edited August 2018

@Skyscrapersax said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @Dubbylabby Damn. Now I’m thinking about getting group the loop.

Feel free to ask any question and I will try to answer them. If you check the GTL forum you will find some interesting topics about features. It’s quiet due users aren’t too much active and development maybe is taking so long (meanwhile Apple wrecks each iOS version a bit more making people like me ditching the platform for live gigs purpose) but it’s amazing app that worth every penny if you are into serious looping and backing tracks. The same could be said over Quantiloop pro and probably Loopverse. Different approach could be the help in decision making.

You advised Loopy HD for my purpose (sax, internal iPad keys bass and drum apps via Audiobus). What about these others? I do want to do A-A-B-A, Blues with a bridge, etc. song forms, since I'm a Jazz musician. I didn't know there were so many good looping apps!

You asked for dedicated outputs to AB3. If you ask for improvement on your workflow my first advice will be GTL since it’s more than a looper IMHO but I learnt to answer straight to straight questions and advice when someone ask for it. As you can see we have great loopers in iOS and in fact some of the features I suggested to GTL dev were sent to @Michael for Loopy Masterpiece (like one midi note to multiple bindings just to emulate the playlist bebaviour Jack have implemented in GTL from its begginning) and I still want to put my hands over it <3

Said that workflow is too personal to try to convice other person into change it. Loopy is rock solid even on iPhone 4 and has the best AB support of all loopers I know. Quantiloop is the best rc loopststion emulation (and further) loopverse an amazing tool for looping composition and GTL the best for backing tracks with looping involved... as I see them from my POV. It has (my opinion) the same value as peanuts since I hate Apple for making the platform unreliable (for me) and I’m looking into hardware loopers (years light rear iOS counterparts) and keep the iPad for my home... :cry:

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Skyscrapersax you had asked about Audiobus integration for a looper--and Loopy and Audiobus are developed by the same guy, so as seamless as you can get! That said, with the release of Group the Loop this morning, you now have Link Start/Stop (works great with AudioBus and apps in AB) and AudioBus support in GTL. So, you should def take a look at GTL if you are interested in looping for different song structures (which Loopy doesn't do very easily).

Yes, as a Jazz cat, we deal in song forms. So that's a great feature! Will GTL permit me to loop my internal iPad keyboard, bass and drum programs (Neo Soul Keys, iFretless Bass, Drum Perfect Pro, etc.)?

• @kobamoto said:
    but I was surprised about some of the Looperverse features, might have to pick that one up soon

Same here. Have to admit that I sorta ignored it when it came out.

• me too I was like pfft :D

• I just got Group the Loop, as I am intrigued by it's "songwriter" capability.

However, although I set my Neo Soul Keys in Audiobus and as the "input source" for GTL, and I can play it and hear it, it does not inhabit a loop for looping (i.e., I can jam over the loop I made of my um, "vocals," but I cannot make a loop with the electric piano sound).

FWIW, NSK shows up as an "audio unit" and not an "inter app audio."

Thanks!

• It’s ok drag the settings from top to bottom and scroll to input, since you have the app hosted within AB3 look for AB 3 as the IAA app and it will load it, the. You can send the output to any loop and record it.

• Thanks for the response MusicMan4 Christ!

ISSUE #1:

In "settings," GTL presets me with "Audiobus L+R" OR "Inter-App Audio" as my "input" choices. Which do I choose? If I choose "Inter-App Audio," I'm then presented with "Instruments," including "Audiobus Intermediate Out 0," Out 1, Out 2, etc.

And if I chose "Inter-App Audio," I get an "Input Monitoring" WARNING! about feedback, with "turn on" and turn off" choices.

Isn't "inter-app audio" something different from "Audiobus"?

So, what are my correct choices for the above issue?

ISSUE #2:

I don't see anyway to "send the output to any loop." I think this is my problem area.

In settings, there is a "record" feature, but for the moment, I just want to make the piano "inhabit" a loop - and the same with bass, etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again....

• I didn’t get a chance to try it with AB3 but once you record enable a loop, it will recorD what ever is coming through the input.

• edited August 2018

(deleted). Can't erase!

• I can see that it's probably best to get more than one of these puppies and play around with them and see what works! I just got GTL and I finally figured out how to input a keyboard part. At first, I couldn't do it because my "go to" keyboard app is the fantastic Neo Soul Keys, but NSK shows up as an "audio unit" (whatever THAT is...) and not a "inter app audio." So, I used the Korg Gadget and I could lay down a piano and bass. I do dig GTS's ability to easily switch between "groups" (parts of songs to me) on the fly.

• OK, I FINALLY figured out what the problem was and I made a piano / bass loop! (yea...).

My "go to" keyboard app is the fantastic "Neo Soul Keys." But NSK shows up as an "audio unit" (whatever THAT is...) and not an "inter app audio," so GTL didn't "see" NSK. So, I switched to Korg's Gadget, and it worked like a charm! Now, once I've enabled "inter app audio" in "input," I need to figure out how to go back to the microphone so that I can add my saxophone. Any idea how to do that? Thanks much!

• edited August 2018

@Skyscrapersax said:
    OK, I FINALLY figured out what the problem was and I made a piano / bass loop! (yea...).

My "go to" keyboard app is the fantastic "Neo Soul Keys." But NSK shows up as an "audio unit" (whatever THAT is...) and not an "inter app audio," so GTL didn't "see" NSK. So, I switched to Korg's Gadget, and it worked like a charm! Now, once I've enabled "inter app audio" in "input," I need to figure out how to go back to the microphone so that I can add my saxophone. Any idea how to do that? Thanks much!

Hi @Skyscrapersax, looks like Neo Soul Keys is an audio unit. GTL supports audio unit effects, not audio unit instruments, yet :).

You can load Neo Soul Keys into an input slot in Audiobus and load GTL as an output slot. No need to change any settings in GTL as it should receive audio from Audiobus automatically. Important, if you want to hear the keys as you play them then turn on input monitoring in the GTL settings. You will find this under 'Audio input' in GTL, it's the 'headphones' icon on the right hand side. Don't worry about feedback if all you are monitoring is Neo Soul Keys.

Now if you want to return to recording the microphone then go to Audiobus and add 'System audio input' to the input slot. What I have described is the easiest approach, no need to use the "Inter-App Audio" option in GTL.

I hope this makes sense.