Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai iMPC the very1st original version from way back - i forgot how good this app is

@Retronyms I loaded this up recently to check if it still worked with iOS 11- all cool
I was amazed by how quick it was to get beats going Things I like about this old school app listed below
1. The Groove Quantize is supertight with 75% slider
2. Can export seperate tracks / pads to audiocopy
3. Audiocopy import
4. To my ears the Master Compressor is way more crunchier and better sounding than the new impc pro apps
5. Has a bit crush per track
6.Can export projects to desktop to load into Akai MPC Software
7.Sample editing is easy straightfoward
8.Has inbuilt sampler
9.Sequence can be up to 255 bars

Yes there are a few limitations - no pad mute/no song mode/no way to transfer the programs&sequences to other ipads/only four tracks/no files app/no open in/ but fingers crossed if this app gets all or much of the above it still will be a serious contender The layout etc is very MPC
Retronyms - do consider doing a few modern tweaks to this excellent app

http://www.akaipro.com/products/software/impc

Comments

• @Retronyms the number one option to implement would be an option to transfer project to another ipad

• It’s the best version in terms of UI and I appreciate Akai/Retronyms efforts recently to update and optimise it. Unfortunately it doesn’t have IAA or exporting options to anything except Audiocopy which I would forgive if Audiocopy was a decent app but it isn’t. In 2018 Audiocopy hasn’t changed a whit despite the big 3.0 update. AudioShare has advanced transferring options, zip unzip, directories and of course Files support. The fact that Retronyms makes Audiocopy the hinge upon all their apps without doing anything to actually improve the workflow is simply laughable. But I enjoy IMPC. It’s the only app produced by them that I have ever been happy about.

• Please let me know if you find a way to delete the samples that are record or create with the app.
    Last time I checked I had to dig around with iFunBox etc. to delete them!
    (Logically, every app that can create & save files should also provide a way to delete them or the iPad will sooner or later choke).

What 'bugs' me about all the iMPC apps is that there has never been a smooth way to migrate programs and projects from one release to another.

There is still no easy way to transfer 'Programs' from iMPC Pro 1 to iMPC Pro 2 and yes it would be nice to have the stuff from the two 'legacy' iMPC apps (iMPC and iMPC Pro 1) available in iMPC Pro 2.

And yes, this original iMPC app was very good when it was released and everyone waited for fixes, then dropped iMPC Pro, everyone waited for 'fixes' again and boom, iMPC Pro 2 dropped and if history repeats itself iMPC Pro 2 will never be fully 'fixed' but instead we'll be greeted with iMPC Pro 3 or whatever...

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    It’s the best version in terms of UI and I appreciate Akai/Retronyms efforts recently to update and optimise it. Unfortunately it doesn’t have IAA or exporting options to anything except Audiocopy which I would forgive if Audiocopy was a decent app but it isn’t. In 2018 Audiocopy hasn’t changed a whit despite the big 3.0 update. AudioShare has advanced transferring options, zip unzip, directories and of course Files support. The fact that Retronyms makes Audiocopy the hinge upon all their apps without doing anything to actually improve the workflow is simply laughable. But I enjoy IMPC. It’s the only app produced by them that I have ever been happy about.

I agree to all the above - such a cool app though lets hope for the tweaks

• @Samu said:
    Please let me know if you find a way to delete the samples that are record or create with the app.
    (Logically, every app that can create & save files should also provide a way to delete them or the iPad will sooner or later choke).

What 'bugs' me about all the iMPC apps is that there has never been a smooth way to migrate programs and projects from one release to another.

There is still no easy way to transfer 'Programs' from iMPC Pro 1 to iMPC Pro 2 and yes it would be nice to have the stuff from the two 'legacy' iMPC apps (iMPC and iMPC Pro 1) available in iMPC Pro 2.

And yes, this original iMPC app was very good when it was released and everyone waited for fixes, then dropped iMPC Pro, everyone waited for 'fixes' again and boom, iMPC Pro 2 dropped and if history repeats itself iMPC Pro 2 will never be fully 'fixed' but instead we'll be greeted with iMPC Pro 3 or whatever...

I agree 100% - i really think they could and should enhance the original iMPC its very instant and more fun with less gimmicks
    Yep I too went into iFunbox but cannot see anyway to delete sounds - will check the Sound Library part of the app - will report back

• I remember the day I got this app, it was like opening up a portal in HellRaiser... but the one thing I have always been amazed about is the apps responsiveness, it's still the most responsive beat machine app on all of iOS

• @stormbeats said:
    @Retronyms I loaded this up recently to check if it still worked with iOS 11- all cool
    I was amazed by how quick it was to get beats going Things I like about this old school app listed below
    3. Audiocopy import
    4. To my ears the Master Compressor is way more crunchier and better sounding than the new impc pro apps
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

Yes there are a few limitations - no pad mute/no song mode/no way to transfer the programs&sequences to other ipads/only four tracks/no files app/no open in/ but fingers crossed if this app gets all or much of the above it still will be a serious contender The layout etc is very MPC

Thank you for the kind words! Have you checked out our newest app, iMPC Pro 2? This is a more modern MPC app.

• @Samu said:
    Please let me know if you find a way to delete the samples that are record or create with the app.

To transfer iMPC Pro 1 projects to iMPC Pro 2, you can use the import/export feature located on the bottom bar when you first open the app and are about to choose a session. Thanks!

• @kobamoto said:
    I remember the day I got this app, it was like opening up a portal in HellRaiser... but the one thing I have always been amazed about is the apps responsiveness, it's still the most responsive beat machine app on all of iOS

• @Retronyms thanks for being here and while you hopefully still are can you touch on the topic of deleting unwanted user samples from within iMPC (non-pro). With thanks in advance.

• edited August 2018

Hi @Retronyms
    One interesting thing about the first iMPC mentioned here, (iMPC One, I guess) and the same one that’s used as TabletopReady inside Tabletop, is that in the embedded version it is possible to import .wav into the iMPC via system pasteboard (if AudioCopy is not installed)

while in the standalone iMPC it’s not possible to import without having the AudioCopy app installed

It would be nice for standalone users to be able to import without recourse to AudioCopy in the same way that the Tabletop version allows

• edited August 2018

@Retronyms said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Audiocopy import
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

Thank you for the kind words! Have you checked out our newest app, iMPC Pro 2? This is a more modern MPC app.

@Retronyms i have 1&2 and they are bugged out sorry to say - notes glitching No transport cursor in 2 etc etc And also the stereo to mono right erases the sample - I think you as a company rush too much with new features without fixes

• edited August 2018

@stormbeats said:

@Retronyms said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Audiocopy import
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

@Retronyms i have 1&2 and they are bugged out sorry to say - notes glitching No transport cursor in 2 etc etc And also the stereo to mono right erases the sample - I think you as a company rush too much with new features without fixes

This company is amazingly innovative. Unfortunately they’re also stubborn as a mule when it comes to following conventional workflow practices used by 95% of the rest of theIOS music making community. That’s why I always say they’re a company marching to the beat of their own drum machines.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@Retronyms said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Audiocopy import
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

This company is amazingly innovative. Unfortunately they’re also stubborn as a mule when it comes to following conventional workflow practices used by 95% of the rest of theIOS music making community.

I agree Good apps but the bugs are a major let down - audio glitching and having to hit the Fix Track Quantize a few times before it does anything is no fun

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@Retronyms said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Audiocopy import
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

This company is amazingly innovative. Unfortunately they’re also stubborn as a mule when it comes to following conventional workflow practices used by 95% of the rest of theIOS music making community. That’s why I always say they’re a company marching to the beat of their own drum machines.

I see what you did there :)

• @kobamoto said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@Retronyms said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Audiocopy import
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

?

• @Lucid "they’re a company marching to the beat of their own drum machines."

• Retronyms...innovative...hahahaha, not so much.

• edited August 2018

:p

• edited August 2018

@kobamoto said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@Retronyms said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Audiocopy import
    8.Has inbuilt sampler

?

• I know :-)

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Retronyms...innovative...hahahaha, not so much.

really?.... what other sampling beat machine desktop software, iOS, or hardware allows you to have individual mixer/fx automation per sequence basically each sequence has it's own almost entirely independent mixer and fx..... what's not innovative about that?

• edited August 2018

@kobamoto said:

@MrSmileZ said:

really?.... what other sampling beat machine desktop software, iOS, or hardware allows you to have individual mixer/fx automation per sequence basically each sequence has it's own almost entirely independent mixer and fx..... what's not innovative about that?

@kobamoto dude my original post was not for people to start having disagreements Keep it smooth Chill

• I said that retronyms are not very innovative, and this remains my opinion. I like them about as much as I like IKMultimedia....who innovated advertisements during my app use...making their apps useless junk that I deleted.

Maybe they can ‘innovate’ some fixes for every app they’ve made to date?

If you own an mpclive or x you would clearly see the workflow is good between the hardware unit and 2.0 software but is entirely different between them and the iOS retronym’s offering. I wouldn’t expect this to be the case, and yet it is...

Different mixer/fx settings per track? Why would I need that feature...? The point of the MPC workflow is pattern chaining to make a song... maybe if I was making a collage of different songs it might be something I would look for? Different mixers for different sequences is something I’m just not using currently...and the effects offering is sad in impcpro2...

Maybe this feature is important in your workflow? If this is the case, you bought the app, it still works for you, even if I don’t like it. I’ve invested quite a bit of cash in retronyms and the only app that still remains on my iPad out of everything they made...is audiocopy2 and impcpro2, until I can get time to pull the sound sets over into my mpclive and then I will erase them too.

• edited August 2018

@stormbeats said:

@kobamoto said:

@MrSmileZ said:

@kobamoto dude my original post was not for people to start having disagreements Keep it smooth Chill

Mine were though. Let the disagreements begin! >:)

• @stormbeats said:

@kobamoto said:

@MrSmileZ said:

you realize that we are just talking about music apps right, my post is. not what you think

• edited August 2018

@MrSmileZ said:
    I said that retronyms are not very innovative, and this remains my opinion. I like them about as much as I like IKMultimedia....who innovated advertisements during my app use...making their apps useless junk that I deleted.

If you own an mpclive or x you would clearly see the workflow is good between the hardware unit and 2.0 software but is entirely different between them and the iOS retronym’s offering. I wouldn’t expect this to be the case, and yet it is...

Different mixer/fx settings per track? Why would I need that feature...? The point of the MPC workflow is pattern chaining to make a song... maybe if I was making a collage of different songs it might be something I would look for? Different mixers for different sequences is something I’m just not using currently...and the effects offering is sad in impcpro2...

Maybe this feature is important in your workflow? If this is the case, you bought the app, it still works for you, even if I don’t like it. I’ve invested quite a bit of cash in retronyms and the only app that still remains on my iPad out of everything they made...is audiocopy2 and impcpro2, until I can get time to pull the sound sets over into my mpclive and then I will erase them too.

I do own the mpc live, I understand where you're coming from I'm just not using the impc apps in the same way.. . in the past It was important to me that they were compatible with the desktop software but I actually can't stand the desktop software and only use the mpc live in stand alone mode, which is also how I've come to prefer the iOS apps as well.... but like I said I understand.

but I think they are pretty innovative... the looperverse app they made that I've just been contemplating has some unique albeit innovative features for a looper, for example being able to play the sample clips with an on screen keyboard kind of like you can do with legato mode and samples on Abletons push... that's pretty innovative for an iOS looper

and to answer your question about the individual mixer per sequencer I spoke of earlier, I use alot of variation in my production... having a mixer/fx and automation that is individual to a sequence is great for making evolving beats that change over time. it's basically like having snapshot mixer capability on a per sequencer basis or you could call it p.locks/parameter locks for a whole sequence rather than a step or p.locks on a per sequence basis.... of course you don't have to use it that way you can keep every sequence the same but I like to do things like take a groove and glitch it out, wash it out, modulate it or otherwise on an duplicated sequence and then bring the original back in, there are just so many uses.... it's really great for making ambient scapes on the impc apps, combined with the flux fx which also automate and operate on a per sequence basis there is a lot of good ideas for introducing movement to be had with very easy access.

• @kobamoto said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    I said that retronyms are not very innovative, and this remains my opinion. I like them about as much as I like IKMultimedia....who innovated advertisements during my app use...making their apps useless junk that I deleted.

I do own the mpc live, I understand where you're coming from I'm just not using the impc apps in the same way.. . in the past It was important to me that they were compatible with the desktop software but I actually can't stand the desktop software and only use the mpc live in stand alone mode, which is also how I've come to prefer the iOS apps as well.... but like I said I understand.

but I think they are pretty innovative... the looperverse app they made that I've just been contemplating has some unique albeit innovative features for a looper, for example being able to play the sample clips with an on screen keyboard kind of like you can do with legato mode and samples on Abletons push... that's pretty innovative for an iOS looper

and to answer your question about the individual mixer per sequencer I spoke of earlier, I use alot of variation in my production... having a mixer/fx and automation that is individual to a sequence is great for making evolving beats that change over time. it's basically like having snapshot mixer capability on a per sequencer basis or you could call it p.locks/parameter locks for a whole sequence rather than a step or p.locks on a per sequence basis.... of course you don't have to use it that way you can keep every sequence the same but I like to do things like take a groove and glitch it out, wash it out, modulate it or otherwise on an duplicated sequence and then bring the original back in, there are just so many uses.... it's really great for making ambient scapes on the impc apps, combined with the flux fx which also automate and operate on a per sequence basis there is a lot of good ideas for introducing movement to be had with very easy access.

I do agree with a lot of what you say here - and yep the mpc sofware is like a puzzle way to much going on - my mpc studio black still looks brand new after 2 years Ive only made 5 beats with it - impc pro2 just needs few tweaks like proper envelope section ADSR why the heck has it got that slow attack and audio glitching - no transport cursor option anymore Retronyms told me they took it out when they added audio tracks That is bonkerzzz

• That is interesting, I may give that scenario a try sometime to see if it is indeed an asset to my workflow. I don’t use mpc2.0 software nearly as much as I use reason 10 or LPX, as I do also find staying in the box my preference as far as the mpclive goes. I usually just shoot the stems out of my MPC and IPad to further massacre inside of my two computer daws. Thanks for the convo, you have given me some ideas I may explore!

• @MrSmileZ ..sure thing man, that's what I love about this forum it's like idea heaven :)
    the only reason I don't already have the looperverse app is that I haven't gotten a sense yet of how far retronyms are going to take it, their development roadmaps can be quit fickle haha

@stormbeats .. I don't know why they took that out, but it's like Dans world over there... I do wonder sometimes how much free reign akai allows them to have, any time I ever contacted akai over the apps all they would do is direct me to retronyms...