Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM needs better performance options

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

ApeMatrix is a bit more suited to live use imo, they still need to sort out multichannel soundcards, but you can always use AB or AUM for output...

Its my intention to to use it in live situations, but my next show isn't till october. Check out the SaxLoops#4 video on YouTube, it give a pretty great explanation of the routing capabilities.

I use Aum more for quick sketching because of the giant fader scrolling needed / involved, ApeM is much more compact, but you will likely want to map a midi controller fader thing for volumes, because levels and such are in a separate window.

Oh - and ApeM has some REALLY cool AU automation features that AUM doesn't, dedicated scalable syncable LFO or midi or a couple others for EACH AU parameter, very very cool.

• Used AUM for a lot of performances myself— it’s the perfect live host! Don’t be mixing with touchscreens live though, get a MIDI controller for that!

• @Dawdles said:
    Struggling to feel like AUM works for live performances. The solo/mutes are scattered, small buttons and often not all accessible on the same screen without scrolling. There’s no built in snapshot functionality. Etc...

Requests/suggestions -

-Mute/solo view. Grid of circular labelled app icons. Same size as the current track icons. Could fit like 20+ on one screen view, no scrolling and decent size. Tap icons to Toggle mutes on/off. A ‘solo’ button on same view, hold this when tapping icons to toggle solo on/off.

-Snapshots view. Ideally this would include AU params, but worst case would just be mixer settings. A bunch of numbered buttons to flip instantly between saved global mixer and midi settings (level/panning/solo/mute/routing(be fun to instantly flick between various Rozeta/steppolyarp configs across apps)/fx bypass etc...

• Keyboard Settings snapshots. On the keyboard far right by the latch, keyboard settings etc icons have a button that pops up a tall narrow window with numbers 1-10. Use these to flip between different keyboard configs for different AU, Mulitple simultaneous Au etc..

There’s a ton of other stuff that could also be added to make it really interesting (built in modulation, definable randomisation, morph etc) if dev wanted to really turn it in to something special for perfomance, but for now the above feels like good middle ground for convenient, basic performance functionality.

For me AUM works really great as a mixer/router, which I guess is all it was originally intended to be, but I struggle to get onboard with the hype train for using it for performance. It just doesn’t feel designed for that job at all. But could be with a few enhancements like these ;)

Are you trolling again?

• @OscarSouth said:
    Used AUM for a lot of performances myself— it’s the perfect live host! Don’t be mixing with touchscreens live though, get a MIDI controller for that!

Exactly!

• AUM is the perfect Live host for me, no issues what so ever with performance. I hate to see some of the changes suggested.

• edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018
  • @Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    AUM is the perfect Live host for me, no issues what so ever with performance. I hate to see some of the changes suggested.

Why would you ‘hate’ the addition of different views and keyboard config presets? You could just totally ignore them and never even use them? Strange...

A lot of people are using AUM for quite complex AU setups for live perfomance but except for the people that are using intricate workarounds for complex simultaneous changes, you can kind of hear it a mile off. It’s very restrictive... Nothing wrong with simplicity, for ambient especially, but it can be a brick wall for a lot of ideas..

I Just totally disagree with your original statement

'> @Dawdles said:

Struggling to feel like AUM works for live performances. The solo/mutes are scattered, small buttons and often not all accessible on the same screen without scrolling. There’s no built in snapshot functionality. Etc...'

Its just not true that AUM doesn't works for live performance, infact its quite the opposite. Its one of the best live performance tools I ever used. I have no issue what so ever with the solo/mutes, they work perfectly and i don't want them changed! A built in snapshot functionally doesn't hinder live performance at all.

• edited August 2018
  • @Dawdles said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Used AUM for a lot of performances myself— it’s the perfect live host! Don’t be mixing with touchscreens live though, get a MIDI controller for that!

I think AUM is great when you just wanna route some midi/audio and fade some levels but for multiple solos/mutes and/or anything complex across multiple channels simultaneously I find it way too scrolly and too many taps to do stuff like change keyboard settings (mulitple routing etc) during performance. I think it’s kind of a case of the way it’s used by people is evolving beyond the original idea behind it. Great as a levels mixer and audio/midi router but as an AU host and modular type performance environment (which increasingly seems to be its use now) it just needs some enhancement so there’s less fumbling around and some features/views to make more complex performance arrangements possible.

For live mixing (if you’re performing as well) you need the faders and buttons under your fingers. I can’t see any touchscreen mixing interface being realistically viable for a performer. Sooo many suitable midi controllers for this though and that immediately solves all the problems listed. AUM is FANTASTIC for hardware mapping. Pick one up and you’re sorted.

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    AUM is the perfect Live host for me, no issues what so ever with performance. I hate to see some of the changes suggested.

Why would you ‘hate’ the addition of different views and keyboard config presets? You could just totally ignore them and never even use them? Strange...

A lot of people are using AUM for quite complex AU setups for live perfomance but except for the people that are using intricate workarounds for complex simultaneous changes, you can kind of hear it a mile off. It’s very restrictive... Nothing wrong with simplicity, for ambient especially, but it can be a brick wall for a lot of ideas..

'> @Dawdles said:

Struggling to feel like AUM works for live performances. The solo/mutes are scattered, small buttons and often not all accessible on the same screen without scrolling. There’s no built in snapshot functionality. Etc...'

Its just not true that AUM doesn't works for live performance, infact its quite the opposite. Its one of the best live performance tools I ever used. I have no issue what so ever with the solo/mutes, they work perfectly and i don't want them changed! A built in snapshot functionally doesn't hinder live performance at all.

Just checked back through my notifications and it’s like every time I suggest something or question whether something is gonna work for me personally before I buy it, there you are relentlessly trying to shut me down just because something works great for you or isn’t something you’re personally interested in. Half the time you’re on the defensive/offensive before you even understand the suggestion. Audiolayer thread, Drambo thread, the AUM issues I just posted here that make it not work for me....always the same story with you.

How are mutes/solos ‘perfect’ when you have to scroll to reach them, meaning not all simultaneous combinations are possible, and the buttons are tiny?!? You’re not thinking... Just cos something is good doesn’t mean it can’t be improved.

Something works for you, fine, be happy, chill and stop trying to impose your workflow requirements/non-requirements on me and accusing anyone with issues that you don’t have of being a ‘troll’ (<—cringe). Some people are obviously doing stuff way beyond things that you even imagine wanting the functionality to be able to.

Away the same story with you also dude and you have been in some questionable dissions with others so...> @Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

'> @Dawdles said:

Just checked back through my notifications and it’s like every time I suggest something or question whether something is gonna work for me personally before I buy it, there you are relentlessly trying to shut me down just because something works great for you or isn’t something you’re personally interested in. Half the time you’re on the defensive/offensive before you even understand the suggestion/question. Audiolayer thread, Drambo thread, the AUM issues I just posted here that make it not work for me....always the same story with you.

How are mutes/solos ‘perfect’ when you have to scroll to reach them, meaning not all simultaneous combinations are possible, and the buttons are tiny?!? You’re not thinking... Just cos something is good doesn’t mean it can’t be improved.

Something works for you, fine, be happy, chill and stop trying to impose your workflow requirements/non-requirements on me and accusing anyone with issues that you don’t have of being a ‘troll’ (<—cringe). Some people are obviously doing stuff way beyond things that you even imagine wanting the functionality to be able to.

Are you saying don't even have AUM? and you have a far worst track record concerning being offensive.

• @Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

'> @Dawdles said:

Just checked back through my notifications and it’s like every time I suggest something or question whether something is gonna work for me personally before I buy it, there you are relentlessly trying to shut me down just because something works great for you or isn’t something you’re personally interested in. Half the time you’re on the defensive/offensive before you even understand the suggestion. Audiolayer thread, Drambo thread, the AUM issues I just posted here that make it not work for me....always the same story with you.

Away the same story with you also dude and you have been in some questionable dissions with others so...> @Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

'> @Dawdles said:

Just checked back through my notifications and it’s like every time I suggest something or question whether something is gonna work for me personally before I buy it, there you are relentlessly trying to shut me down just because something works great for you or isn’t something you’re personally interested in. Half the time you’re on the defensive/offensive before you even understand the suggestion/question. Audiolayer thread, Drambo thread, the AUM issues I just posted here that make it not work for me....always the same story with you.

Are you saying don't even have AUM? and you have a far worst track record concerning being offensive.

Thats some reeeeally great justification argument there, are you for real??? You sound like a 5 year old.

I have AUM. Go argue with someone else that’s more interested in your opinion.

Maybe you should make music with it more and understand what it is designed for rather than constantly suggesting half baked ideas.

• edited August 2018

There are many tools such as midi designer , sidecar , KRFT , that can help you midi map multiple solo , mute buttons for performing :)

• edited August 2018
  • @[Deleted User] said:

Maybe you should make music with it more and understand what it is designed for rather than constantly suggesting half baked ideas.

Please stop trolling. Dawdles explained what he was looking for and explained why he was looking for it. He didn't say "AUM SUX!" because it didn't have it. Scrolling around large AUM sessions is "a thing" for lots of users as evidenced by many similar suggestions/requests here.

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Dawdles said:

@OscarSouth said:

I think AUM is great when you just wanna route some midi/audio and fade some levels but for multiple solos/mutes and/or anything complex across multiple channels simultaneously I find it way too scrolly and too many taps to do stuff like change keyboard settings (mulitple routing etc) during performance. I think it’s kind of a case of the way it’s used by people is evolving beyond the original idea behind it. Great as a levels mixer and audio/midi router but as an AU host and modular type performance environment (which increasingly seems to be its use now) it just needs some enhancement so there’s less fumbling around and some features/views to make more complex performance arrangements possible.

For live mixing (if you’re performing as well) you need the faders and buttons under your fingers. I can’t see any touchscreen mixing interface being realistically viable for a performer. Sooo many suitable midi controllers for this though and that immediately solves all the problems listed. AUM is FANTASTIC for hardware mapping. Pick one up and you’re sorted.

:) I edited the orginal post to emphasise that I’m talking more about creative mixing/perfomance when recording improv jams standalone on iPad and when used without hardware ;) Which seems to be a huge part of what AUM is being used for now, not just a stage mixer. But even as a stage mixer there should be a view/mode where all mutes/solos are accessible, like they are on a hardware mixer. Obviously within reason, anything over 20 or so channels is gonna be really hard to fit on one screen with good size buttons ;)

I'd probably be looking into MIDI Designer Pro or Lemur as a controller at that point, maybe a multi device config if you want something really slick.

• AUM has completely revolutionised the way I work, and really boosted my output.

Scrolling channels isn’t a massive issue for me as my Air 2 can’t handle too many apps at once, but when I upgrade it could be a niggle. A zoom feature of the main screen would be useful at some point.

• Don't insult the Church Of AUM! ;) I must concur though, 1 channel per screen on the phone or 4 on the pad isn't really the most "compact" use of display space, so there's my 2 millicents :D

• The way things stand, I can only suggest rearranging your channels to group them, and use bookmarks to jump around faster. That doesn’t help much for small buttons, or the iPhone single track issue. Doesn’t help with the configuration/settings switching either. But maybe can make things less scrollie
    Or try MidiDesigner Pro 2, but yeah, that is a lot more work to setup. But you can make big-ass buttons if you like, and put all that stuff on a single screen. It may allow you to keep AUM in the background the whole time. Not sure about how MDP2 does with the switching of configurations for keyboards, haven’t tried any of that yet.

• @Dawdles said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Dawdles said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Dawdles said:

@OscarSouth said:

:) I edited the orginal post to emphasise that I’m talking more about creative mixing/perfomance when recording improv jams standalone on iPad and when used without hardware ;) Which seems to be a huge part of what AUM is being used for now, not just a stage mixer. But even as a stage mixer there should be a view/mode where all mutes/solos are accessible, like they are on a hardware mixer. Obviously within reason, anything over 20 or so channels is gonna be really hard to fit on one screen with good size buttons ;)

I'd probably be looking into MIDI Designer Pro or Lemur as a controller at that point, maybe a multi device config if you want something really slick.

Thanks for suggestions. Will look at those. I need to get over my ASS (App Switching Sucks) anxiety/hangup ;)

Possibly a slide over app solution? Would be nice actually!

• @Dawdles said:

Maybe I do make music with it. Hence finding issues with it and seeing where it could be improved for certain workflows/performance tricks. Don’t talk to me again.

As a developer (obviously not of AUM), let me just say that how one phrases things is important. Keep in mind that no developer will be capable of satisfying all needs and PREFERENCES for all people. When a person would like something to work differently or would like a different feature it makes a ton of difference how you communicate.

I think people often express their opinions as fact in electronic communication in ways that they don't when in conversation. It is easy to write things with great intention without realizing that they come across as dismissive or hypercritical in ways that don't happen when you are sitting across from person and can see the look on their face.

For instance, "I really wish that your app did ...." and "I find XYZ confusing" or "I find XYZ not laid out as I prefer" come across very differently from saying "Your app needs......" or "Your app doesn't work well for people because...." or "Your app is good for those people but not these other people..."

Saying something like "I think AUM is great when you just wanna...." comes across as dismissive of both the app AND the many many people that love it. Imagine someone saying to you: "Your music is great if you just like...."

It sounds very different to say "I think AUM is great for projects where I.... but on projects like X, I wish that ....."

Realize that what is important to you, is important to YOU but perhaps not as important to everyone else. Oftentimes, people have no concept (actually, most of the time) how much work would be required to make what they think would be simple changes. And people often don't realize what tradeoffs would have to be made.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion and desires, but it makes a big difference whether they are expressed as personal preference or categorical truth.

It makes a difference to both the developer (who works really hard and probably has a private wish list longer than you can imagine -- that might even include your pet requests) and the community.

Sorry, don't mean to rant at you.

Peace.