Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord updated to 2.5.3 - now with rests

2»

Comments

• Also - i find savin the current session a bit of a pain. There is currently a ton of stuff kind of hidden away under the one "settings" button in unwieldy fashion.

If some of the common and often needed functions could be put into a septette thing -like a toolbar - for things like SAVE and LOAD for example it would be great.

Also - is that picture of that hexagonal note-matrix really needed - taking up all that space when one is just using the pads ? I personally don't find those hex pads useful anyway and just use the square pads for what i need.

So all that GUI real-estate to the right of the chord pads could be better used for something else. Or at least optionally so. For example for hat SAVE /LOAD common features stuff as i discussed above..

• @nonchai

Some valid points there regarding the UI. Having a Save button up there would be useful. Keeping the voicing when changing the root might be nice, too. I will say I find the hex display in the pads screen helpful sometimes, as it helps me cross reference what the pads are playing in terms of performance. It certainly doesn't need to be there all the time, though.

@Navichord Since we're brainstorming, as an alternative to the mini-hex image, sometimes I'd like to be able to create additional pad arrays and be able to select them on the fly in that space. 16 pads is not enough for a whole song, and I may rather create sets of arrays for an opening, verse, chorus, bridge etc.. Playing would jump from one to the next after the last pad. Kind of like Patterning, I guess.

One last thing— the new rests are a great addition for song building, but they've had the unintended side effect of making me want them to be divisible. The current quarter note minimum is too long and abrupt for what I'm after usually. Sticky wicket to change maybe, and it will probably make me want similar granularity for non-rest pads, but I have faith in you.

• @nonchai, @aaronpc, thanks for the suggestions.

@nonchai, for transposing with voicing please use the transpose buttons (arrow up and down), this would do the job for now. I agree that initial voicing and octave when selecting from the picker needs improvement.
    The grid on the right is important for this app, removing would be a step against app's identity.

@aaronpc, more pads is the next thing I will be working on. This is the most requested feature of 2017 :smile:
    Main work will start soon after one big update coming to the AppStore.

Separate Load/Save is a good idea, I could place a new button just before Settings. Would that work for you?

• @aaronpc > @aaronpc said:

One last thing— the new rests are a great addition for song building, but they've had the unintended side effect of making me want them to be divisible. The current quarter note minimum is too long and abrupt for what I'm after usually. Sticky wicket to change maybe, and it will probably make me want similar granularity for non-rest pads, but I have faith in you.

Divisible rests means divisible chord pads too. This could be quite confusing for wide audience when arranging the progression as the chords could start not on the measure boundary.
    Technically this is difficult with the current code. Every now and then I'm thinking about rewriting the app completely to allow such things with ease :) I would have to keep this low priority for now.

• Apologies if this is a known issue, or a feature I'm not understanding, but if I do the following:

• Pad mode
    • Edit mode
    • Tap the upper right corner of an empty pad (where the duration number would be)
      Result: all pads disappear
      Going out and back into pad mode causes them to reappear, but with the pad previously tapped on pad enlarged.
      I can't find a way to return that pad to normal size other than closing/reopening the app
  • edited June 2017

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    Apologies if this is a known issue, or a feature I'm not understanding, but if I do the following:

• Pad mode
    • Edit mode
    • Tap the upper right corner of an empty pad (where the duration number would be)
      Result: all pads disappear
      Going out and back into pad mode causes them to reappear, but with the pad previously tapped on pad enlarged.
      I can't find a way to return that pad to normal size other than closing/reopening the app

Thanks, this is a clear bug, I will sort it out in coming releases.

• @Navichord said:
    @aaronpc > @aaronpc said:

Divisible rests means divisible chord pads too. This could be quite confusing for wide audience when arranging the progression as the chords could start not on the measure boundary.
    Technically this is difficult with the current code. Every now and then I'm thinking about rewriting the app completely to allow such things with ease :) I would have to keep this low priority for now.

Understood. Can't have everything. Excited to hear about song mode though.

• The grid on the right is important for this app, removing would be a step against app's identity.

understood - but in order to reduce visual "clutter" for those who will never use that grid - can't we have an option jut to hide it ? a blank space would be better for me - or better use of the released space for the other stuff. Personally I just don't find the grid useful. maybe if redesigned - dunno. I simply don't think in triads - i think in 4 note chords :)

@aaronpc, more pads is the next thing I will be working on. >

I like the way i can have - say - a 4 pad sequence but then with a gap - have some extra chords at the end I can play manually. But if you are considering more pads, you might want to consider having "pad groups" - say for "Verse" "Chorus" "bridge" sections - so more than one progression can be "launched" instead of just one. Great for live improv.

Separate Load/Save is a good idea, I could place a new button just before Settings. Would that work for you?

yes thats fine.

• edited June 2017

Hi NAVICHORD - I just came across one issue that needs addressing - not a bug but a MUST HAVE:

When using NAVICHORD inside AudioBus3 all normal MIDI input is disabled so MIDI Learning /Mapping features are disabled. Which basically means I cannot see a way to trigger chords via MIDI - by a foot controller etc... ( McMillen 12 Step/Helix etc etc ) while NAVICHORD is inside AudioBus3

Is there a way around this currently ?

Or can you add some extra feature so that - audiobus3 MIDI operation is allowed while allowing a particular device to control just the MIDI triggering of the pads ?

Maybe having the option to have NAVICHORD act as an AB3 MIDI SENDER - only but allow MIDI reception via audiobus3 to be disabled and instead receive input from a hardware device.

• @nonchai , Audiobus requires normal MIDI to be disabled. The workaround would be to take input from Keyboard Sender and pass it Navichord, but I haven't tried this scenario for MIDI learn. Let me check and come back shortly.

• @Navichord said:
    @nonchai , Audiobus requires normal MIDI to be disabled. The workaround would be to take input from Keyboard Sender and pass it Navichord, but I haven't tried this scenario for MIDI learn. Let me check and come back shortly.

Ok, this approach didn't work out of the box, needs some investigation. I will check whats going on.

• @Navichord said:

@Navichord said:
    @nonchai , Audiobus requires normal MIDI to be disabled. The workaround would be to take input from Keyboard Sender and pass it Navichord, but I haven't tried this scenario for MIDI learn. Let me check and come back shortly.

Ok, this approach didn't work out of the box, needs some investigation. I will check whats going on.

Ok, I've found the issue. Audiobus 3 MIDI learn will be available in the next update.

• edited July 2017

I don't think a 'spread' feature is current in Navichord...sure adds interest.

Spread feature is manipulated with the left hand in this video:

• @chris_foster wow what a cool device! I can surely learn something from it ;)

• @Navichord said:
    Ok, I've found the issue. Audiobus 3 MIDI learn will be available in the next update.

Fantastic !

many thanks.

• Hello :)

i am interested in Navichord but not sure if it can do the following:

I use Korg Gadget and play polyphonic synths with my Korg microkey37 keyboard. What i need is to trigger sounds in Gadget with some custom chords (up to 6 notes) with a single key through my left hand (like C3 -> C Mai 7, C#3 -> Fm7, etc. ) and to play monophonic notes with my right hand at the same time. This can be done with one midi channel, but would be awesome if i could split it into 2 channels, so chords play sound A with left hand and right hand plays sound B.

Can Navichord be configured to do this. If not might there be another app?