Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can Amplify/Novation’s Launchpad App loop any time signatures? Or is it strictly a 4\4 app?

edited August 2018 in General App Discussion

I’m not sure exactly how the looping in this app works. I’ve always avoided doing anything with it other than screwing around for 10 seconds, and haven’t bought any IAPs thinking why waste my time/money on something that only does 4\4.

Then I got thinking. I can export loops in all kinds of time signatures out of Quantiloop Pro and they loop seamlessly by playing in AudioShare with loop enabled. Would these work in the Launchpad app? Would they be tempo synced like all the other loops in the app? I’m kind of doubtful, but I do have a Launchpad Pro that sits around and never gets used. I’d be down for using the Launchpad app if I could actually do more than 4\4 etc. Creating the loops in Quantiloop Pro is pretty easy. I’ve never used loops in music before, but might as well give it a try.

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• edited August 2018

Just download BlocsWave put your loops in it and export them into Launchpad and try.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Just download BlocsWave put your loops in it and export them into Launchpad and try.

Thanks, I have blocs wave since before it was “free”. It does let me set the number of beats when importing the loop and it seems to be at least cycling through that properly. It’s still ending up a jumbled up mess and not syncing with other stuff well. Right now, I only have one loop. Later on I’ll try making several loops and going through the same process to see if they all work in sync if I just stay in the Launchpad system.

• edited August 2018

At library each sample has the edit button with properties. Idk if it’s possible to put different time signature or hack it some way... if you want to keep these probably things will go wreck if timestretch is applied but if you want to warp them my best advice will be reSlice them or Bm3ce them.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    At library each sample has the edit button with properties. Idk if it’s possible to put different time signature or hack it some way... if you want to keep these probably things will go wreck if timestretch is applied but if you want to warp them my best advice will be reSlice them or Bm3ce them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve never heard of this warp thing, but it looks like something I might want to use. It would be pretty neat to just make loops ahead and mangle them afterward. I might be better off skipping Launchpad entirely and seeing if I can just use BM3 in exactly the same way. BM3 at least goes to 19/4 and that’s good enough for me. I’m always barely getting into BM3 anyway and need a push to go further.

• Can some Apps Warp and others not?

"Warp" is still an abstract concept to me. Can Samplr Warp?
    It's #1 on my current list. Advise.

• @McDtracy said:
    Can some Apps Warp and others not?

I don’t know anything about Samplr other than it hasn’t been updated in over 3 years and is essentially abandonware that still works. It looks like so much fun, but no way will I buy that this late in the game.

The warp concept is new for me. I watched a quick demo that used Ableton and there was a feature called “warp” that allowed for you to adjust the BPM without pitch fluctuation, but it also allowed you to keep the BPM and adjust the pitch of the samples.

I couldn’t fine “warp” in he BM3 manual, so maybe it’s just called something else there.

• @DMan said:

I couldn’t fine “warp” in he BM3 manual, so maybe it’s just called something else there.

Turning stretch 'On' in BM3 will keep the speed when playing back the sample at different pitches.
    If the length of the loop is correctly set (ie. original BPM and Beats/Bars) it will also follow song tempo when it is changed.

Turning stretch on for the audio patterns on an audio-track has same effect but for now the 'pitch' of the audio-track can not be changed.

Even though for example Logic Pro X does 'warping'(Warp is 'Ableton Lingo') it's not called warping in the Logic Pro X manual rather it's called Time-Stretching or Flex-Time & Flex-Pitch which better describe their function.

I guess Ableton Devs are huge Star Trek fans or something?!

• edited August 2018

Deleted

• @DMan said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve never heard of this warp thing, but it looks like something I might want to use. It would be pretty neat to just make loops ahead and mangle them afterward. I might be better off skipping Launchpad entirely and seeing if I can just use BM3 in exactly the same way. BM3 at least goes to 19/4 and that’s good enough for me. I’m always barely getting into BM3 anyway and need a push to go further.

Well is not a looper itself but if you are outside 4/4 maybe one of the few choices with audio mangling @Samu maybe can talk you about Auria or Cubasis, I haven’t any of them and I have uninstalled bm3 once again. Idk if garageband has flexible time signatures but maybe it’s the best choice being looper itself... the bad news are there is no midi control over live loops so no hands free...

@McDtracy said:
    Can some Apps Warp and others not?

Warping is an evolution of recycle transient detection which added the possibilitie to timestretch each single slice (called warp markers and not triggerable as is) as form to flex time (and space Spock) to allow impossible mixes since you can reswing the audio material like midi. Hard to understand, hard to use (in fact I hated it due I came from other DAWs and I’m still wondering how to avoid it :trollface: )

There are few iOS apps whit similar cappabilities being Auria the most famous but too expensive for me because I will only use it as warp editor. The slicer in BlocsWave could fake it being something in the line of Recycle but not suitable for loop stretch.

So,
    Let’s focus since this topic arises time to time in the forum.
    1. For different signatures than 4/4 look elsewhere than ampify apps.
    2. Warping-like process could help in both directions. Gridding material to any signature making impossible mixing a reality but...
    3. Use these tricks only when no other solution is possible since are time, cpu and money consuming. If you can record in the right signature you will save lots of time.
    4. Working in 4/4 will give you more options, of course.
    5. Less is more.

:wink:

• @Dubbylabby said:

@DMan said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Well is not a looper itself but if you are outside 4/4 maybe one of the few choices with audio mangling @Samu maybe can talk you about Auria or Cubasis, I haven’t any of them and I have uninstalled bm3 once again. Idk if garageband has flexible time signatures but maybe it’s the best choice being looper itself... the bad news are there is no midi control over live loops so no hands free...

GarageBand definitely does not have flexible time signatures. It’s just 4\4, 3\4, and 6\8. Pretty awful. I do need to get more familiar with the live looping in that one though. It seems like it will live loop MPE, which is good. Cubasis I think is pretty bad for loops, and it also only would get me 5\4 and 7\4, but I like things in 9 as well and it won’t do that. So, BM3 is probably the way to go. When I have some more time I’ll see about importing loops as scenes or just make the loops in BM3 and using a Launchpad Pro or Novation Circuit pads to trigger the clips. I still haven’t bought Auria. I probably will have to eventually.

Thanks for all the help!