Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Drum pads

Can anyone recommend midi drum pads, stick or finger, that work well with ios?

Comments

• edited August 2018

I love the Korg “PandKontrol”. It works fine with the CCK, but needs an external psu (the common, Boss pedal type). The pads work really well, have an even response around the pad, and are more sensitive than the Akai pads, which you have to hit hard, and dead center. You might check out their nanopad, it is the same pad technology, but it is smaller, and doesn’t have blinky lights, so it may work with cck using only power from the iPad.

• The Arturia beatstep is not so bad, robust quite cheap second hand.
    The Quneo, harder to configure (not for simple config, but you can really deep dive with this thing...) could be a good option too.

• @Processaurus said:
    I love the Korg “PadKontrol”. It works fine with the CCK, but needs an external psu (the common, Boss pedal type). The pads work really well, have an even response around the pad, and are more sensitive than the Akai pads, which you have to hit hard, and dead center. You might check out their nanopad, it is the same pad technology, but it is smaller, and doesn’t have blinky lights, so it may work with cck using only power from the iPad.

Ha, funny, that came up as the second post - that was mine too (padKONTROL)! However, I believe it was released in 2006 and no longer in production (based on the reviews I found online for it). So you'd have to track down one secondhand (mine was like $60 at Guitar Center).

I liked the following things about it:

• Supports both DIN MIDI and USB MIDI
    • Very responsive control pads - certainly easier to use than the Arturia BeatStep, which I owned first and kept because it does some different things (simple sequencer; 16 CC encoder knobs)
    • Supports MIDI power for synths or DIN MIDI peripherals that require it (two examples would be the Ploytec PL2 synth and RK-002 MIDI cable for use with Volca devices)
    • Pretty much EVERYTHING can be adjusted on the device itself, so although it is quite old, it is future-proof in configuring with new hardware. You can assign the two encoder knobs to whatever CC or other function you want, and then save that as a preset. You can set each pad to a note on the device, AND it has a LED display to assist with that (many entry-level controllers do not).

I'm sure there are newer controllers that cover a lot of these features, but I thought it would be a helpful list to consider when looking for one that suits your needs.

• Check this page out, lots of lots of comparison videos:

http://www.xpresspads.com/finger-drumming-video/

I own the Akai MPD226 which can run straight off the Lightning port without the need for a powered hub. Pads are very responsive, you can edit the sensitivity and all the functions are editable right on the unit without needing to hook up to a computer. I would certainly recommend the unit, but I haven't compared it to the competition.

• @crony said:
    The Arturia beatstep is not so bad, robust quite cheap second hand.
    The Quneo, harder to configure (not for simple config, but you can really deep dive with this thing...) could be a good option too.

Hey is the beatstep velocity sesitive when using with apps?

• While we’re on the subject, has anyone tried the Alesis percpads with iOS devices? Saw Electronisounds using one in one of his vids, but wasn’t sure if it was controlling the laptop or iPad.

• Don't know how many pads you need--or what your primary use case is--but I LOVE the BopPad from Keith McMillen.

• There is also Jambe (not mentioned in the video above) which is very cool:

http://getjambe.com/about-jambe/

• Boppad> @lukesleepwalker said:

Don't know how many pads you need--or what your primary use case is--but I LOVE the BopPad from Keith McMillen.

Boppad no ios app editor :(

• @espiegel123 said:
    There is also Jambe (not mentioned in the video above) which is very cool:

$800 midi pad, who are they roland

• @breilly said:
    Boppad> @lukesleepwalker said:

Don't know how many pads you need--or what your primary use case is--but I LOVE the BopPad from Keith McMillen.

Yes, it's a topic of much consternation on both the AB forums and KMI's forums. My guess is they will address at some point, given the way they've developed apps for other hardware.

• @breilly said:

@espiegel123 said:

Manufacturing a quality hardware product is not cheap when it isn't on a massive scale. There is a lot of excellent design and software development in the app and hardware. It is pricey but seems reasonable given its quality. But it is also responsive in a way that most pads aren't. I don't have one, yet.

• @espiegel123 said:

@breilly said:

@espiegel123 said:

Manufacturing a quality hardware product is not cheap when it isn't on a massive scale. There is a lot of excellent design and software development in the app and hardware. It is pricey but seems reasonable given its quality. But it is also responsive in a way that most pads aren't. I don't have one, yet.

Yeah i agree, wud definatey like to try one, may even buy it ha.
    Have questions about velocity, midi, app friendliness etc....do you know any of it?
    -thx

• In terms of how they feel, I consider the old Roland Octapads PAD-8 or PAD-80 still the best second-hand bang for the buck. PAD-80 can trigger different samples depending on adjustable pad velocity thresholds.
    I'm still playing them from time to time either on an iPad 1 with NanoStudio TRG-16 or triggering XLN Addictive Drums on the Laptop.
    I do prefer playing with sticks, they offer much better control over velocity, flams, rolls etc.
    Mesh pads are even better but they're too large to put on a desk.
    I have a few MPC-style rubber pad controllers but I don't really like them, I'd rather play drums on a keyboard.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@breilly said:
    Boppad> @lukesleepwalker said:

Yes, it's a topic of much consternation on both the AB forums and KMI's forums. My guess is they will address at some point, given the way they've developed apps for other hardware.

The whole BopPad really came off like someone's summer intern project... :( So disappointing. No on device interface, AT ALL!!! No way to adjust vel curves, thresholds, etc. on device, etc. Position tracking was jittery, etc.

Just picked up a Pearl MalletStation that's essentially a KMI device with Pearl's name/design and it's an example of what a midi percussion controller can really be.

Alternate Mode's stuff is good to.

BEST midi drum/percussion interface is prob. the JamKat+DITI... Spendy but awesome to play.

• @espiegel123 said:

@breilly said:

@espiegel123 said:

Most imporatly can and how does jambe work with other apps?
    Example: Triggering drumjam etc...

• I have only seen the videos. I know the developer/designer, and he is intensely invested/committed to having Jambe be an quality responsive instrument. If you haven't watched the videos of people playing with it, it seems very responsive to hands and sticks.

• edited August 2018

I bought a Roland SPD-S (not the new SX) on Craigslist last year for ~$250. Love it as a MIDI drum trigger but maybe a little pricey for that use alone (it does a lot more). If you go for a stick based interface, don't forget to include the cost of a stand (or table top real estate if that height works for you).

• @espiegel123 said:
    I have only seen the videos. I know the developer/designer, and he is intensely invested/committed to having Jambe be an quality responsive instrument. If you haven't watched the videos of people playing with it, it seems very responsive to hands and sticks.

Cool. Yeah i watched many videos, def looks like what im looking for. Searched for a manual and library list but couldnt find any. Would love to know how it interacts with other apps (am i married to only jambe sounds?). If you hear anything from the developer on this and could let me know that would b great! Thx

• I'll see what I can find out.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @breilly said:

@crony said:
    The Arturia beatstep is not so bad, robust quite cheap second hand.

Hey is the beatstep velocity sesitive when using with apps?

Pads are sensitive to velocity, so I would say yes :)

• Roland or akai

• edited August 2018

@Drümünkey said:
    The whole BopPad really came off like someone's summer intern project... :( So disappointing. No on device interface, AT ALL!!! No way to adjust vel curves, thresholds, etc. on device, etc. Position tracking was jittery, etc.

The BopPad is the most slept on wicked piece of kit for anyone who is into synthesis with percussive needs. The thing just kicks ass. But I have particular needs for my setup. The company has under promoted it. I think their forum suffers a little. Some companies just have a few crappy employees that kill success. I have been suspicious that KMI has a few -- just as BM3 probably does as well. If you can customize the BopPad (stupid name btw) on your computer, you're laughing.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24434/just-picked-up-a-keith-mcmillen-boppad-suggestions-on-configuring-it-for-ipad/p1

• @futureaztec said:

@Drümünkey said:

The BopPad is the most slept on wicked piece of kit for anyone who is into synthesis with percussive needs. The thing just kicks ass. But I have particular needs for my setup. The company has under promoted it. I think their forum suffers a little. Some companies just have a few crappy employees that kill success. I have been suspicious that KMI has a few -- just as BM3 probably does as well. If you can customize the BopPad (stupid name btw) on your computer, you're laughing.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24434/just-picked-up-a-keith-mcmillen-boppad-suggestions-on-configuring-it-for-ipad/p1

For the money the BP is OK... The "killer" features of things like position sensing just don't work though. If you set it up to send varying CC values based on radius distance, it's too glitchy to really be musically useful. Say you map position CC to cutoff or pitch or something. I would play like 10 hits in same spot and get wildly different responses...

Another decent option is the little KAT Percussion pad: https://www.amazon.com/Percussion-KTMP1-Electronic-Sound-Module/dp/B00FONJ658

Like all cheap pads, biggest issues is pad cross-talk.

Just for a bit of reference, here's my current setup:

The MalletStation is pretty much KMI BopPad type tech. Works great so far.

• Thats some setup!😱👍🏼

• @Drümünkey said:

I have never had the issues you have had, I can only speak from my experiences. 1. I love small gear to bring with my iPad, with a low energy drain. 2. All, what, 24 areas work well as a gradient setting for modulating any parameters. I enjoy using it with various drum synths like VCV Rack, Audulus, etc.

• @breilly said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I have only seen the videos. I know the developer/designer, and he is intensely invested/committed to having Jambe be an quality responsive instrument. If you haven't watched the videos of people playing with it, it seems very responsive to hands and sticks.

Cool. Yeah i watched many videos, def looks like what im looking for. Searched for a manual and library list but couldnt find any. Would love to know how it interacts with other apps (am i married to only jambe sounds?). If you hear anything from the developer on this and could let me know that would b great! Thx

I'll send you his email address in a PM. It looks like the site doesn't have form for contacting them.

• @Drümünkey said:

what are you using for the kick midi trigger please? (nord has only one input).. looking for a good midi kick pedal set up at the moment...

p.s. epic set up - send us some sounds!