Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Optimize iPad for Performance

I have a performance coming up, and my plan is to use my iPad 3 to run Nave, Patterning, and Genome. Genome is controling two external hardware synths through an iConnectivity. The problem is Genome is TERRIBLY glitchy. Like, multiple train wrecks per set. Sometimes it freezes and just won't play at all, sometimes it sends crazy kamakaze signals and has to be shut down. If I start Patterning before Genome, Genome won't start, etc.

Is there anything I can do to keep my apps running more smoothly?

Comments

• Simply put it in airplane mode.

• I think that's just way too much to ask of an iPad 3...

• New iPad time. You're on the killing grounds when you step on stage. No sacrifices.

Nice timing though, pick up a Mini4, Air2 or the new 'iPad' and you'll be set (for a good little while!). That's some remarkably cheap peace of mind!

• edited April 2017

That said, it sounds like you're just sequencing and not really performing live with it? In that case just max out the buffer and you might get by.

• edited April 2017

If I had the cash, I would ditch the iPad all together and go with a Beatstep Pro. Unfortunately I'm stuck with what I have in the short term. I'll definitely try airplane mode.

• Maybe replace Genome with Midisteps if you can?

• @auxoct said:
    If I had the cash, I would ditch the iPad all together and go with a Beatstep Pro. Unfortunately I'm stuck with what I have in the short term. I'll definitely try airplane mode.

If you're serious and the performance is important, find the cash. If not, and the advice you receive in this thread doesn't sort the problems, swerve using the iPad at the gig.

Don't hope for a miracle. Plan to not fail. In performance, if something can go wrong, it'll definitely go wrong in a totally different and cryptic way that you could have never anticipated for and are totally unprepared to deal with.

If you're prepared properly, then you'll have already encountered and accommodated for that eventuality.

• For sure. I want to leave as little up to the vicissitudes of equipment as possible, which is why I asked if there are any ways to optimize my current setup. Buying better gear would certainly be the best fix, but it is not one that is available to me at the moment, so I'm trying to do what I can with what I have.

I'm playing drone/kosmiche type stuff for this show, so I'm not trying to keep a dance floor moving or anything. I just want some patterns for folks to sway to.

Any other advice like the airplane mode suggestion would be super helpful.

• 'Force Restart' at the start of a music session might help?

Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

• You can also try disabling visual fx (movement) and transparency. But don't forget airplane mode.
    In the past (when I had an iPad 3 and iOS 7) there was a huge performance improvement when launching apps outside Audiobus as stand alone . You should try it.

• @Thomas said:
    Simply put it in airplane mode.

Why would airplane mode give a smoother performance?

• @Korakios said:
    You can also try disabling visual fx (movement) and transparency. But don't forget airplane mode.
    In the past (when I had an iPad 3 and iOS 7) there was a huge performance improvement when launching apps outside Audiobus as stand alone . You should try it.

My iPad Pro 12.9 2017 began to freeze and hang at heavy workloads...
    I turned off finger gestures and multitasking, and voila, I had a racehorse on my hands..
    No more freezing or annoying slowness...

• Anyone else experiencing their iPad Pro freezing for 5-10 seconds, especially on the “drag up” app selector screen?

• I’m also interested to know why airplane mode might improve iPad performance. I will try this out 🙂

• edited August 2018

@Kühl said:
    Anyone else experiencing their iPad Pro freezing for 5-10 seconds, especially on the “drag up” app selector screen?

Yepp! Count me in!

But, heavy usage with Affinity Designer for iPad this july (around 100 hours) have been super smooth and unbelievable stable...
    This freezing is coming when it’s not to disturbing (lucky me!)...

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I’m also interested to know why airplane mode might improve iPad performance. I will try this out 🙂

@Kühl said:

@Thomas said:

Because the iPad won't have to contend with WiFi/Cellular data and processing while in airplane mode. And as a bonus, you won't get a text or any sort of pop-up message during the performance. It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to speed up performance in iOS with the click of a button.

Also, turning on Reduce Motion in Settings>Accessibility really helps. Changing some settings in Display Accommodations can help to keep the screen brightness down i.e. Reduce White Point : On . Drag the slider to around 60%. As long as it doesn't affect your playing keep the screen brightness down as much as possible .

Lastly, the little trick which closes anything running in the background and clears the cache (i believe) which is done by holding the power button until the 'slide to power off' comes up, then press and hold the home button until it returns you to the home screen.

• In airplane mode Link is not working anymore (I know it's not a problem in your case, but to those who wanted to test...)
    I guess it would bring better perf as there's no ressources used to network at all.

• @crony said:
    In airplane mode Link is not working anymore (I know it's not a problem in your case, but to those who wanted to test...)
    I guess it would bring better perf as there's no ressources used to network at all.

I absolutely need link so...

• @Kühl said:

@Thomas said:

Because wifi and other online services are very thread consuming. In moog 15 manual for instance, they specifically tell to switch off wifi to get better performances.

Here is the exact quote: "TIP: To achieve optimum performance with your Model 15, disable the WiFi connection or activate the Airplane Mode. Please also refer to the Minimal iOS Signal Processing option under the SETTINGS section of this manual."

• edited August 2018

@auxoct said:

The thing is that what you’re asking kinda verges on impossible.

It’s like asking your friend: how do I keep my wife without stopping cheating on her?. Well, you can keep risking but eventually she’ll find out. ;)

If the stuff isn’t overly rhythmical and timing reliant then maxing out buffer size is indeed the best answer. Another thing is unticking notifications on all apps in settings. I remember there being some animation tweak in settings but not specifically where.

There were a couple of threads on the subject you might want to search this forum for. I think one of them was started by @brambos.

Good luck. It’s gonna be ok (maybe) ;)

• edited August 2018

@BitterGums said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    I’m also interested to know why airplane mode might improve iPad performance. I will try this out 🙂

@Kühl said:

@Thomas said:

Because the iPad won't have to contend with WiFi/Cellular data and processing while in airplane mode. And as a bonus, you won't get a text or any sort of pop-up message during the performance. It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to speed up performance in iOS with the click of a button.

Also, turning on Reduce Motion in Settings>Accessibility really helps. Changing some settings in Display Accommodations can help to keep the screen brightness down i.e. Reduce White Point : On . Drag the slider to around 60%. As long as it doesn't affect your playing keep the screen brightness down as much as possible .

Lastly, the little trick which closes anything running in the background and clears the cache (i believe) which is done by holding the power button until the 'slide to power off' comes up, then press and hold the home button until it returns you to the home screen.

Actually that doesn’t clear the ram. If you measure ram before & after, it’s the same. But if you turn your iPad off, wait a few secs, and turn it in... then you have max ram. On my 12,9 that’s about 2,60 gigabytes. I use a ram cleaner app, but that one can’t clean the ram totally. It just frees up what it can.

Thanx about the WiFi tip. It’s logical. Reduce motion is the best way to give juice back to a machine. The parallax effect takes quite a bit of unnecessary processing power. I also turned off hand gestures and multitasking, and since then my iPad hasn’t frozen again.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Kühl said:
    Anyone else experiencing their iPad Pro freezing for 5-10 seconds, especially on the “drag up” app selector screen?

Yepp! Count me in!

But, heavy usage with Affinity Designer for iPad this july (around 100 hours) have been super smooth and unbelievable stable...
    This freezing is coming when it’s not to disturbing (lucky me!)...

Lucky you @ErrkaPetti
    But after turning off hand gestures and multitasking, my iPad is like a slick black jaguar.
    I dunno what did it, but I ain’t putting it back on.

• @Norbert said:

@Kühl said:

@Thomas said:

Because wifi and other online services are very thread consuming. In moog 15 manual for instance, they specifically tell to switch off wifi to get better performances.

Here is the exact quote: "TIP: To achieve optimum performance with your Model 15, disable the WiFi connection or activate the Airplane Mode. Please also refer to the Minimal iOS Signal Processing option under the SETTINGS section of this manual."

Aha! Thanks very much. This I will try.
    My wife is always pestering me for not reading user manuals :)

• @Kühl said:

Usually I barely do it myself but Moog 15 is such a different synth that I had to read so I could understand the basic "what where why" existential question about it :D

• @Norbert said:

@Kühl said:

Usually I barely do it myself but Moog 15 is such a different synth that I had to read so I could understand the basic "what where why" existential question about it :D

What about True Tone, is that thing slowing performance too?

• I am surprised someone has problems with Apple

• @Kühl said:

@Norbert said:

@Kühl said:

I don't think true tone slows down things significantly. It is not a constant thread. Once it's applied it stays, whereas for wifi it's a constant looping which monopolizes lots of resources.

• tjatja
    edited August 2018

Background App Refresh!!!!

This is not even needed for anything at all.

Handoff.
    Air Drop.

Siri, esp. for searches.

Location services.

Motion & Fitness

Bluetooth if you don't need it.

Mobile data, if you can use WiFi and need it.

And yes, any Notifications.

• @Norbert said:

@Kühl said:

@Norbert said:

@Kühl said:

I don't think true tone slows down things significantly. It is not a constant thread. Once it's applied it stays, whereas for wifi it's a constant looping which monopolizes lots of resources.

@tja

Then I’ll turn True Tone back on. But without it reminds me of my old 12.9... so maybe not :)

I assure you tja that everything off-turntable is off :)

• Well I never use true tone cause as I paint on my ipad as well, I want values and hues to be reliably displayed during my sessions.