Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthScaper Tutorial

My Fieldscaper video went down well and Igor was nice to me, so here's a follow-up to look at SynthScaper. This is an amazing app which manages to make FieldScaper look simple :o

Comments

• Oh wow! Great! I saw this posted on facebook and assumed it was the fieldscaper one. I've already got a good handle of fieldscaper and was hoping you'd so on on Synthscaper. I mostly have my head around Synthscaper too, but I get lost in the various 6 panels of LFO and ENV screens... and what's what, etc.

Looking forward to this one. Thanks!

• @MarkH Thank you Mister Mark. Your forensically detailed examination of these apps really helps the slower boys at the back of the room.

• @skiphunt said:
    Oh wow! Great! I saw this posted on facebook and assumed it was the fieldscaper one. I've already got a good handle of fieldscaper and was hoping you'd so on on Synthscaper. I mostly have my head around Synthscaper too, but I get lost in the various 6 panels of LFO and ENV screens... and what's what, etc.

I got a little deep with Synthscaper at first and felt great when I ‘got it’ but once the random generator on it came out, all my ‘got it’ went out the window. Which is to say the randomizer is awesome and all I need out of this. :)

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:
    Oh wow! Great! I saw this posted on facebook and assumed it was the fieldscaper one. I've already got a good handle of fieldscaper and was hoping you'd so on on Synthscaper. I mostly have my head around Synthscaper too, but I get lost in the various 6 panels of LFO and ENV screens... and what's what, etc.

I got a little deep with Synthscaper at first and felt great when I ‘got it’ but once the random generator on it came out, all my ‘got it’ went out the window. Which is to say the randomizer is awesome and all I need out of this. :)

Most definitely! Worth it for that alone.

I was just messing with some purposed multiple layer stuff that I wanted more for possible mood stuff to go with picture.

• Wow, I actually got my head around this (mostly)! Time to play around now. Thank you for all your hard work! You are very good at taking a highly involved app and explaining it in a way that makes sense - even to me! LOL

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MarkH thank you very much for your very thorough going over of this beast.

• @Dawdles said:
    Thanks for video, will check it out ASAP :)

Think I finally need to grab this app now while it’s on sale. Been a while since I checked vids and the info on iTunes is kind of ambiguous (mentions ‘downloaded’ samples), can I import my own samples that I already have on my iPad to use as oscillators?

Yes you can, there's a 'files' button on the main screen to import samples. As you would expect, there is a lot of detail about how you can do this. For example, setting the loop points, the base note and octave for your sample, whether it it s one-shot sample that already has an envelope baked in, etc.

• Thank you very much! This synth is pure genious. For now I use it with no headache using scenes I like and generating new scenes from them. Many of them are fabulous. I didn’t had so much earing fun since NI Absynth. Igor you are a true mad genious.

• I may add that the generating function along with your own samples is awesome!

• edited August 2018

Hi @MarkH
    Thanks again for your deep SynthScaper tutorial. That’s the third of your tutoarials after StepPolyArp and FieldScaper I’ve seen from you. What I really like is that you take your time to go really deep into it and your style explaining everything. Your video was very helpful for me. Now I understand a lot more than before! 😎

For all three apps (SynthScaper, FieldScaper and StepPolyArp) your tutorials are the best I’ve seen so far!👍

So please continue your good work and keep posting more detailed videos about interesting Apps. I’m looking forward and I’m curious what app will discovered next on your channel!

Great work Mark ! 👍👍

• really appreciate this level of tutorial. when SynthScaper was released I spent three fun days unraveling it. considering the power and flexibility I’d expect to invest a bit of time. a lot of pro features, original and very well implemented.

• @Dawdles said:
    Watched 50mins of the video so far, great job, thanks! Will watch the rest later today. So far there’s been no mention of being able to start an osc (sample) from anywhere other than its beginning.. Is it possible to change the playback start point of the sample? I have lots of ambient field recording samples that I’d like to layer with other sounds in Synthscaper, but ideally I’d like to be able to define their start point... I’m going to buy the app in any case, it looks amazing, but hoping this is possible too, as a bonus ;)
    Thanks

It supports embedded loop points in wav files that you import in. I set up mine in Reaper and also did it in Logic. Can’t recall exactly what I did, but it worked.

Not sure if there’s something on iOS that allows you to set loop and embed loop points in wav files. But, I think that’ll do what you’re asking about.

• With the death of the iTunes Affiliate program I think training is the key to a business model for Apps Users to fund your success.

In the end it's always about saving users time and money that creates revenue if you don't write the Apps. Look at the people that make a living selling training for examples:

https://pianowithwillie.com/

https://lynda.com/

and the free training hero Salman Khan of:

https://khanacademy.org/

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@skiphunt said:

@Dawdles said:
    Watched 50mins of the video so far, great job, thanks! Will watch the rest later today. So far there’s been no mention of being able to start an osc (sample) from anywhere other than its beginning.. Is it possible to change the playback start point of the sample? I have lots of ambient field recording samples that I’d like to layer with other sounds in Synthscaper, but ideally I’d like to be able to define their start point... I’m going to buy the app in any case, it looks amazing, but hoping this is possible too, as a bonus ;)
    Thanks

It supports embedded loop points in wav files that you import in. I set up mine in Reaper and also did it in Logic. Can’t recall exactly what I did, but it worked.

Not sure if there’s something on iOS that allows you to set loop and embed loop points in wav files. But, I think that’ll do what you’re asking about.

Thanks :) Ah was really hoping to be able to scan through samples in the app and experiment with different start points/sounds :( A shame that doesn’t sound possible but still plenty there to make it worth grabbing ;)

It might be, but back when he introduced the loop point support, I tried it out and it did what you’re asking. He’s had a couple more updates since then, so maybe it’s now possible to set in app. I just don’t know for sure. Only that you can for sure do it with externally created loop points.

Try asking him direct. He’s very approachable, friendly and responds quickly.

And yes, it’s a very complex and powerful sound design tool. Just a bit of a cryptic interface at times. ;)

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@skiphunt said:

@Dawdles said:

@skiphunt said:

@Dawdles said:
    Thanks

Thanks :) Ah was really hoping to be able to scan through samples in the app and experiment with different start points/sounds :( A shame that doesn’t sound possible but still plenty there to make it worth grabbing ;)

It might be, but back when he introduced the loop point support, I tried it out and it did what you’re asking. He’s had a couple more updates since then, so maybe it’s now possible to set in app. I just don’t know for sure. Only that you can for sure do it with externally created loop points.

Try asking him direct. He’s very approachable, friendly and responds quickly.

Thanks, is he on here for a quick message? If not I’ll dig out the email address

I reach him quickly on Facebook, but he’s also active on Twitter and instagram. I don’t think he frequents the AB board that often.

Or, try via his blog: https://motion-soundscape.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/zzzwiw

• edited August 2018

Holy cow, this is coming in v1.5. One sequencer per oscillator!

• looking forward to this. Igor, the developer, just said on FB that Synthscaper will be AUV3 as well! Not sure when but how cool is that?

• @gusgranite said:
    looking forward to this. Igor, the developer, just said on FB that Synthscaper will be AUV3 as well! Not sure when but how cool is that?

The beans don’t get cooler.

• @MarkH said:
    My Fieldscaper video went down well and Igor was nice to me, so here's a follow-up to look at SynthScaper. This is an amazing app which manages to make FieldScaper look simple :o

Brilliantly detailed video and nice logical flow - well done. This app is so so deep !!

• The guy is incredible. Can’t wait for the update.

• @MarkH said:
    Holy cow, this is coming in v1.5. One sequencer per oscillator!

1.5 is out now :)

• Oh man this new update is awesome. Suddenly everything clicked with this app.

• Boffinry Squared, I like.

Also enjoyed the tutorial vid.

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

You’re right! I’m quickly finding this randomizer to be much more than a genius bit of coding. I can’t quite explain the joy but I’m wearing a permanent grin😀