Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - August 2018

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• My entry for the month, with guest vocals by @LostBoy85, lyrics in the spoiler:

Can't say what you think
    You Can't do things your way
    You're right on the brink
    Between gone and okay

You tell me that you're lost
    And you're being led astray
    You want to blow the darkness away

Just let the sunshine in
    Yeah let the light right in

There's too much to think
    But there's not much to say
    So I'll buy you a drink
    And we'll talk anyway

You tell me that it's just
    So hopeless and you say
    You want to push the darkness away

Just let the sunshine in

You say to me
    It's so cold inside
    So I say to you
    The sun will shine outside

Just let the sunshine in

• edited August 2018

Awesome, Richard! It's the same of past month's, isn't it? Did you remix it? Bravo, great duo, hope to listen more of this colab of yours!

• This is my newest original song, “Superstar”! Don’t be fooled by the title - this one has (mostly) Spanish lyrics. Also, it’s the first time I do this genre of music. What genre? Listen and find out! Lyrics in the description. As usual, recorded and mixed in Auria Pro with an Apogee One, MXL mics and a guitar (controlling the synths via MIDI using the BOSS DR-5) and a bass (but the beat is Garageband). Enjoy!

• @richardyot I really loved this track. It's got a lighter or brighter (pun intended) feel to it than some of the tracks you've been doing lately. I like this side of you, don't be afraid to show it more in the future! :smiley: I agree that this is a good duo you've got going here with @LostBoy85 and I look forward to hearing more from the two of you together. I kind of dug the little guitar solo bits. I did find myself wanting something a bit more from those solos, although I couldn't put a finger on what. But when I listened a second time I thought it was just fine the way it was, so feel free to ignore that comment! :smile:

• Can I offer this Gadget track, please?

• @theconnactic said:
    This is my newest original song, “Superstar”! Don’t be fooled by the title - this one has (mostly) Spanish lyrics. Also, it’s the first time I do this genre of music. What genre? Listen and find out! Lyrics in the description. As usual, recorded and mixed in Auria Pro with an Apogee One, MXL mics and a guitar (controlling the synths via MIDI using the BOSS DR-5) and a bass (but the beat is Garageband). Enjoy!

Love the Summery vibe this track has, and a reggae feeling about it to me. Nice vocals too. Top job!

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, with guest vocals by @LostBoy85, lyrics in the spoiler:

Wow! This is so good. To me it has a nice USA 60s mellow flower power type feel and style to it. Nice acoustic guitar, and really dig the vocals. Great stuff!

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, with guest vocals by @LostBoy85, lyrics in the spoiler:

Can't say what you think
    You Can't do things your way
    You're right on the brink
    Between gone and okay

You tell me that you're lost
    And you're being led astray
    You want to blow the darkness away

Just let the sunshine in

There's too much to think
    But there's not much to say
    So I'll buy you a drink
    And we'll talk anyway

You tell me that it's just
    So hopeless and you say
    You want to push the darkness away

Just let the sunshine in

You say to me
    It's so cold inside
    So I say to you
    The sun will shine outside

Just let the sunshine in

Awesome! Agreed with Spidericemidas, I like the older vibe this gives off. But it's not straight oldies style, just a good groove and fun to listen to. Good collab!

• @theconnactic said:
    This is my newest original song, “Superstar”! Don’t be fooled by the title - this one has (mostly) Spanish lyrics. Also, it’s the first time I do this genre of music. What genre? Listen and find out! Lyrics in the description. As usual, recorded and mixed in Auria Pro with an Apogee One, MXL mics and a guitar (controlling the synths via MIDI using the BOSS DR-5) and a bass (but the beat is Garageband). Enjoy!

OOOOOOHHHHHH - I like it! Great summer vibe, mix sounds great even on these crummy cans I've got right now. No other real suggestions or anything, really well done :)

• @Spidericemidas said:
    Can I offer this Gadget track, please?

Synth work on point, so good. I think what really resonates with me here is lately I've been digging A LOT of Telefon Tel Aviv and you're hitting the same vibe I get on them with the bassline and stripped back drums. Really enjoyed this a lot, the mix sounds great, only about 1/2 through. Will be back in a bit to finish up-

the more I listen the more I wish I could be ok with Gadget's sequencer cause it's really a good app. Did I mention this is so good? lol...

My only beef is that maybe it was a bit long, but, I will counteract that by saying 1) I've serious music ADD and 2) You have enough movement in here that I was engaged throughout. So, my beef is actually a steak???

• Allllllllrighty, July came and went pretty quick. I've this!

A return to form here, this is some blocs wave, Model 15, Replicant2 and GarageBand all jumbled together. Fun fact, started off as an Auxy song and I've just kind of given up on that, plus, how else am I gonna play with my wonderful AUv3's?!

Thanks everyone :)

• @icsleepers said:

@Spidericemidas said:
    Can I offer this Gadget track, please?

Synth work on point, so good. I think what really resonates with me here is lately I've been digging A LOT of Telefon Tel Aviv and you're hitting the same vibe I get on them with the bassline and stripped back drums. Really enjoyed this a lot, the mix sounds great, only about 1/2 through. Will be back in a bit to finish up-

the more I listen the more I wish I could be ok with Gadget's sequencer cause it's really a good app. Did I mention this is so good? lol...

My only beef is that maybe it was a bit long, but, I will counteract that by saying 1) I've serious music ADD and 2) You have enough movement in here that I was engaged throughout. So, my beef is actually a steak???

Cheers for valued feedback! You’re absolutely right about the track length. This is something I’ve become aware of more recently, and I’m definitely trying harder to squeeze the ideas into shorter tracks.
    I’ve heard so many good tracks from others on SC that are under 5 mins long but still seem to remain varied, interesting and seemingly longer to my perception.
    This is still a trick I have to learn and master for sure!

• @icsleepers said:
    Allllllllrighty, July came and went pretty quick. I've this!

A return to form here, this is some blocs wave, Model 15, Replicant2 and GarageBand all jumbled together. Fun fact, started off as an Auxy song and I've just kind of given up on that, plus, how else am I gonna play with my wonderful AUv3's?!

Thanks everyone :)

Cool! I can definitely hear Replicant’s effect in there. It’s got a moody industrial feel that I like as I’m a big fan of FSOL. Thanks for explaining workflow and apps used, always interesting to know what’s gone into a track. Nice work!

• @barabajagal said:

Wow! Edgy AF! I could never come up with something as detailed as this. Reminds me in a way of FSOL Herd Killing from Dead Cities. I like it!

• Guys these are all fantastic tracks and everyone should be proud! A noob like me can’t give any advice but as a music fan can say they’re all great.
    @richardyot I think this version fits your voice much better than last months though loved both.
    To everyone else I can’t add anything of use other than they were all spot on as a listener.

And here’s my lowly effort for the month https://choon.co/tracks/0xcoxh1cq7d/dreams-of-american-jazz

Made in Cubasis mainly using samples. Some of you might have heard it already. Has a cheeky sample in there but it fit so well I couldn’t not use it.
    It’s my 4th track so technical skills are sorely lacking, apologies for any sound problems.

Keep up the great work guys, these are all pro tracks :)

• @EDB said:
    Guys these are all fantastic tracks and everyone should be proud! A noob like me can’t give any advice but as a music fan can say they’re all great.
    @richardyot I think this version fits your voice much better than last months though loved both.
    To everyone else I can’t add anything of use other than they were all spot on as a listener.

And here’s my lowly effort for the month https://choon.co/tracks/0xcoxh1cq7d/dreams-of-american-jazz

Made in Cubasis mainly using samples. Some of you might have heard it already. Has a cheeky sample in there but it fit so well I couldn’t not use it.
    It’s my 4th track so technical skills are sorely lacking, apologies for any sound problems.

This is so good! I love it! Reminds me of the early days of DnB from LTJ Bukem’s Logical Progression album. Really great track 🤗

• @theconnactic Really cool use of Spanish in the song, it seemed a great fit and I didn't mind that I couldn't translate half of it but luckily the "na na na" parts didn't need translating lol. Good job on the percussion which anchored the feel of the track. Your mixes are getting more professional sounding too, nice job!

• @Spidericemidas Holy crap that was awesome! You realize of course you have to share something about the production, like where on earth that lovely vocal came from (I could listen to her all day, so 11 minutes is nothing lol), and whether you used anything besides Gadget which I assumed based on the title, etc etc. I mean, yeah if I was producing this track I’d probably tighten it up to ~6 minutes or so, but I literally wouldn’t change anything in the mix. Such a great sounding track!

• @icsleepers Wow, this is a cool track! I loved the combination of smooth and edgy sounds which were woven together in interesting ways. Anytime I’m listening to a track and catch myself say “oh cool!” out loud, I know it’s a winner, and I did that at least 3 times during your track. So you’ve definitely got a winner here :smile:

• edited August 2018

@EDB said:
    Guys these are all fantastic tracks and everyone should be proud! A noob like me can’t give any advice but as a music fan can say they’re all great.

@EDB Jeeze for a 4th track this is great, it took me hundreds of tracks to even come anywhere near this lol... sounds great, love the vibe. Agree with the LTJ Bukem shout out, which is a super good thing. Keep em coming!!

EDIT: Also, Choon started playing one of your other tracks after this one, In The Moment. THIS IS LIT. You must mean 4 tracks using some new software or method because this doesn't sound like your first rodeo haha

• @obijohn Ahhh awesome! Thanks man I really appreciate it :) especially since this is a departure from the apps I was using, so the workflow's been entirely different, albeit, a more pleasurable experience haha

• @barabajagal Pretty intense, man! Loved the percussion and the consistent dirty feel. Not sure if there was something wrong with the stream but I only had sound on the left channel. Tried to reload it but got the same. I’ll try again later on a different device because I’d love to hear it the way it was intended.

• @EDB Great jazz track, loved it! Took me back to the days I was driving late at night listening my FM jazz station wishing I was in a smokey room with a cozy drink and cozy company. If this really is your 4th track, dude I can’t wait to hear what you’ve got in store for us once you get more experience under your belt. I’m shaking my head just thinking about it... :smiley:

• edited August 2018

@obijohn said:
    @Spidericemidas Holy crap that was awesome! You realize of course you have to share something about the production, like where on earth that lovely vocal came from (I could listen to her all day, so 11 minutes is nothing lol), and whether you used anything besides Gadget which I assumed based on the title, etc etc. I mean, yeah if I was producing this track I’d probably tighten it up to ~6 minutes or so, but I literally wouldn’t change anything in the mix. Such a great sounding track!

Many thanks! All made and mixed within Gadget: Montpellier, Salzburg, Montreal, Wolfsburg, Chiangmai, Madrid, Recife and some of my own patches and loops made in other apps including Troublemaker and Xynthesizer and imported via Zurich and Bilbao. I turned an instance of Bilbao into the playable acoustic guitar at the end by recording single notes (some with pitch bends) of an acoustic guitar from Sample Tank within the key I was working in - into Audioshare, and trimming them out and assigning across Bilbao’s trigger pads, turning it into a playable guitar! The main vocals came from an old Retronyms pack I’d had for a long time. Yeah her voice is real sweet! Other little vocal oohs & aahhs chopped out of Blocs Wave. The spoken/whispered vocals can be found within iDensity’s built-in library called “Laura” - I just EQd out the lower end and swamped it with Delay & Reverb. Every track has compressor and EQ work on the insert fx plus a little reverb or delay where needed. A touch of Gadget’s basic Limiter for slight boost overall. I work hard as best as I can on the mixing and EQing within Gadget itself because I haven’t got a clue about mastering afterwards! So basically it’s all done inside Gadget, and gets exported directly to Audioshare for uploading to SoundCloud. I do have DDMF 6144 and recently installed the amazing Fabfilter Pro Q2 for iPad, so in future I am thinking of using them in the AB effects slot with Gadget at the beginning so I can play a whole finished/mixed track through the Pro Q2 to see whats going on in my mixes and maybe tame and tweak some rogue frequencies further if needs be. But my ears are usually happy enough with the EQing and mixing I’ve done within Gadget. Yes, I am making a point of trying to reduce track lengths in future works. I do agree they would benefit from tightening up somewhat.
    Thank you for listening and kind words and valued feedback! 🤗

• @Spidericemidas said:

@obijohn said:
    @Spidericemidas Holy crap that was awesome! You realize of course you have to share something about the production, like where on earth that lovely vocal came from (I could listen to her all day, so 11 minutes is nothing lol), and whether you used anything besides Gadget which I assumed based on the title, etc etc. I mean, yeah if I was producing this track I’d probably tighten it up to ~6 minutes or so, but I literally wouldn’t change anything in the mix. Such a great sounding track!

Many thanks! All made and mixed within Gadget: Montpellier, Salzburg, Montreal, Wolfsburg, Chiangmai, Madrid, Recife and some of my own patches and loops made in other apps including Troublemaker and Xynthesizer and imported via Zurich and Bilbao. I turned an instance of Bilbao into the playable acoustic guitar at the end by recording single notes (some with pitch bends) of an acoustic guitar from Sample Tank within the key I was working in - into Audioshare, and trimming them out and assigning across Bilbao’s trigger pads, turning it into a playable guitar! The main vocals came from an old Retronyms pack I’d had for a long time. Yeah her voice is real sweet! Other little vocal oohs & aahhs chopped out of Blocs Wave. The spoken/whispered vocals can be found within iDensity’s built-in library called “Laura” - I just EQd out the lower end and swamped it with Delay & Reverb. Every track has compressor and EQ work on the insert fx plus a little reverb or delay where needed. A touch of Gadget’s basic Limiter for slight boost overall. I work hard as best as I can on the mixing and EQing within Gadget itself because I haven’t got a clue about mastering afterwards! So basically it’s all done inside Gadget, and gets exported directly to Audioshare for uploading to SoundCloud. I do have DDMF 6144 and recently installed the amazing Fabfilter Pro Q2 for iPad, so in future I am thinking of using them in the AB effects slot with Gadget at the beginning so I can play a whole finished/mixed track through the Pro Q2 to see whats going on in my mixes and maybe tame and tweak some rogue frequencies further if needs be. But my ears are usually happy enough with the EQing and mixing I’ve done within Gadget. Yes, I am making a point of trying to reduce track lengths in future works. I do agree they would benefit from tightening up somewhat.
    Thank you for listening and kind words and valued feedback! 🤗

Thanks for going into all that detail, to me it really gives some perspective on the work that was put into a track. And you certainly did your work! :smile: I keep steering clear of Gadget because the siloed nature of it feels too restricting, but then I see something like this and I think I may need to reconsider.

• Feedback welcome, especially on the mix. This is a private SoundCloud link because I'm not really happy with the mix yet. I think it sounds muddy through one pair of headphones but ok on others, so I'm not really sure where the problem is. Anyway, here we go. A different direction from my recent stuff. Unapologetically relentless, super octane V-12, starts in high gear and goes up from there. :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/tokensonly/the-valkyrie/s-yynkt

• edited August 2018

@obijohn said:

Thanks for going into all that detail, to me it really gives some perspective on the work that was put into a track. And you certainly did your work! :smile: I keep steering clear of Gadget because the siloed nature of it feels too restricting, but then I see something like this and I think I may need to reconsider.

I think at the end of the day, whichever ‘DAW’ you’re using, if it’s giving you the results you want, and suits your preferred workflows, there’s no need to worry about other DAWs.
    I’ve heard Gadget labelled as a “Walled garden”, and I can understand why, with the lack of AUv3 facility like other DAWs. But put it this way, I also have BM3 and Cubasis2 installed, they are phenominal DAWs to have available on iOS, but it’s Gadget that I keep coming back to, and just seem to gel with it somehow.
    The reason I still stick with Gadget is because Korg have at least provided facilities for importing our own audio via Bilbao, Zurich and Vancouver. Otherwise, yes, I would be making everything in BM3 (my second favourite DAW on iOS).
    Somehow I like the ‘perceived’ limitations of Gadget, because it forces me to find creative and interesting workarounds to get it to do what I want.
    You may notice the acid type loop that appears midway in this track. I made it in Troublemaker, synced to Gadget playing in background via Ableton link. I recorded a few bars of the Troublemaker loop into Audioshare, trimmed out a section I liked, then exported it to BlocsWave. I then synced BlocsWave to Gadget via Ableton link, and used BlocsWave’s “Slip” function to slide the loop into place so it fitted in time with Gadget. I then exported the adjusted loop back to Audioshare where I could then import it into an instance of Zurich.
    That’s the long way round!!
    If Troublemaker is AUv3 (Can’t recall if it is or not right now), you could have just plugged it straight into BM3 or Cubasis2 and achieved the same result, only much faster!
    It’s important to me to include my own loops and patches made in various apps in my music. Some of the ambience, quality and reverb/delay will be carried over in the imported audio into Gadget, this expands Gadget’s sound palette outside of its own internal reverb/delay and synths. And if you push the insert compressors hard and are strict with the EQ, you can get a clean punchy mix inside Gadget. 🤓🎧🎹🎛🎚

• @obijohn I like it, it's got a very driving flow. Actually, funny I used the word driving because it makes me wanna get in the car and GO, I just realized now lol...

Mix wise, the drums seem a little quiet, the hats aren't quite as crisp as I'd like for example (not sure if it's volume or filtering here). The part around ~2:00 where the higher pitch lead comes in I really like, it's very clear, distinct from the rest of the track.

The gritty synth that plays throughout is really cool, good texture. Everything else seems in place to me, just the drums seem either too low or filtered. I'm no audio guru though so take this with a pinch of salt :)

• @obijohn said:
    Feedback welcome, especially on the mix. This is a private SoundCloud link because I'm not really happy with the mix yet. I think it sounds muddy through one pair of headphones but ok on others, so I'm not really sure where the problem is. Anyway, here we go. A different direction from my recent stuff. Unapologetically relentless, super octane V-12, starts in high gear and goes up from there. :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/tokensonly/the-valkyrie/s-yynkt

Bloody hell!! That’s amazing! Well savage, in a good way. Reminds me a lot of Ozric Tentacles! Love it.
    I’m listening from iPhone through the same pair of Sennheiser headphones that I use to make all of my own music/mixes with.
    I can see/hear what you mean about things getting a little muddy, when the drums kick in mostly. I’m totally not an expert to judge or give pro advice, but if this was my work, I’d be tempted to EQ a little more off the bottom of that main synth riff, maybe even drop its gain a tad? And somehow lift the mids and tops on the drums a little, maybe even a little off the bottom end of the drums and a little more gain, even? I might even try some very gentle sidechaining with that synth riff listening to the kick drum or something. But it’s tricky with this more complex type of beat affecting the sidechain, I guess.
    I honestly don’t know. But I can hear what you’re saying. Anyhow, it’s sounding really cool already anyway. Awesome work!! 👏👏