Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I LOVE APPLE

I have to confess, under threat of ostracism, that for me, Apple has been terrific.

For the following reasons:
1. In my former business I represented illustrators. When the computer started wedging into the market many of the artists I worked for turned to Apple as the best graphics solution. We prospered. I imagine it still does the job better than anyone.
2. I have owned only two iPads. and I have an old iPhone (flawless operation). My ipad2 is six or seven years old. I have dropped it, kicked it and sat on it. Yet I am writing on it now, the battery functions exactly as new, it never crashes, tho I don't tax its capabilities, and if I had to, I could make iOS music on it. My ipad4 I bought used recently and, again, so long as I don't overwork it, it performs perfectly with similar battery function. Do I wish it went beyond iOS 10.3. Not really.
i need more RAM anyway. Prices are higher here in Turkey, but even a grand for a 12.9 every three years seems like a tiny investment in something I use for hours each day and is so reliable I never think about it... Except now!
4. The App Store is like a playground to me. I don't like that Apple takes so much from devs, but when I was an artists' agent my regular commission was 30% ( tho I was flexible when necessary). No one ever complained, I felt I earned my commission, and no one ever left my agency because of it. Apple provides a unique marketplace, especially for iOS music. If the devs couldn't tolerate it they would stick to desktop, get a Silicon Valley job, or maybe work for Apple!
5. Most folks don't know that Apple provides a free service exactly like Dropbox
for large file transmission. Dropbox is restricted in Turkey, where I live. Without Maildrop I could not send tracks for collaboration, etc.
6. I actually have found the customer service both online and in person quite good.
7. If Apple hadn't filled our need for portable, economic, quirky music making with the creation of the iPad and the App Store would other platforms have filled the void? Would the tablet have been developed as quickly or as well?
8. We can't know, but most of us love working in this format. No Apple? Maybe no usable platform.

Why did I write this? Wednesday nite boredom? A little. Really, tho, I have never seen a post that supports what Apple has done. As Jobs said as he stepped off the planet: WOW! Hey, I know big corporations are sociopathic for the most part, but it is the nature of the capitalist beast. The Apple beast delivers for me, the Android beast does not. I have been a capitalist myself. Let he who is without synth cast the first stone!

Ok, gang, three balls for a quarter to dunk me in the trough!

Comments

• Oh! I almost forgot! No Apple no Audiob.us forum!!!

• those are good points. I do like apple's products. I never imagined I'd be able to do what I can do, on my ipad, and a few accessories. I wish I would-a had access to this stuff when I was a teenager, I never would have left the house! lol.

• Everyone here loves Apple. Some have trouble getting in touch with their innermost feelings. :)

• Yeah there are some surprisingly negative and hostile comments towards Apple on here sometimes. I’m with you though. I love the hardware, iOS, macOS, even tvOS and watchOS. The audio and MIDI stacks are top notch. Is everything perfect? No, of course not. But it’s top of the line across the board. And yes you can find an example here or there of one thing or another that’s (arguably marginally) better for X-whatever. So what? The things we have at our disposal in this ecosystem are fantastic. I’ve been leaps and bounds more productive since getting into music production on iOS than I ever was before, so for that I am grateful and will not grumble about whatever irritation of the day someone decides to moan on and on about. It’s a waste of energy that could be put to much better use IMHO.

• Wow! This truly is the peace and love Forum! Really, I am not looking for a confrontation. I have had that experience here and no one is the better for it. I will not argue my point of view. It is totally from my perspective, but glad to see others feel the same. Still, if someone wants to make a point from a different view, I will do my best to see it thru his or her eyes. After all, they say before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes... then you are a mile away and have their shoes!🙏❤️😇

• I once owned a Psion netBook with their splendid little interpreter OPL with which lots of people made lots of apps. That's something Apple is still missing within iOS.

• edited August 2018

Yep, I’m with you all the way. B) I’ve always been a Mac owner or user, and have luckily dodged ever having to use Microsoft and their office micromanagement appliances. I see what Apple is doing now is a little bit lost in the bushes, but overall is further ahead of whatever else is going on out there.

For my phone, I left Android behind since late last year when I got my first iPhone, and although they can be very good if you get a new high-end one (my wife has an Xperia XZ2, which is I must say very good) the fragmentation across android means that hardly anyone is using the latest OS.

• If I were an Apple hater, I’d say I like reason 3 best. ;)

• @Philh0954 said:
    If I were an Apple hater, I’d say I like reason 3 best. ;)

Are you quite sure, sir? Space corp directive 34124. 'No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'

• @u0421793 said:

@Philh0954 said:
    If I were an Apple hater, I’d say I like reason 3 best. ;)

Are you quite sure, sir? Space corp directive 34124. 'No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'

I’m confused, why, what would happen ?

• edited August 2018

Geez, @Philh0954 you got me! There's just no accounting what I do! However, you are absolutely right. I hate that the iPad chooses words for me when I write!!! When I don't proof I see I can say the most absurd thongs! It automatically numbers shit, you know that! It left out the 3 on purpose, just to get me... like it always does, the bastard!

Why can't Apple put a "thanks, but no thanks" button for this sadistic little wizard? It is so damn smart that if I write something it doesn't agree with it offers me that choice as an option on the left of the three choices. So if I write fick when I really mean fuck it offers me "fick" , fickle and fickleness! What the fuck! The genie is a prude! So yes, I will change the title of this thread ( even though I have been criticized about changing thread titles just to rouse the rabble) to I HATE APPLE! Are you happy now, Phil? And you look like such a nice man in your family photo!

• If you've ever done "tech support" for users you know it can be a thankless job... computers can drive people to states of rage and the "tech support" staff can have to counsel them through accepting the realities of what computers can and can't do and why "People make shit that is broken."

As my family moved into the world of becoming computer users I got them all App products. My "tech support" headaches improved dramatically with a necessary increase in hardware/software/support costs to offset that benefit.

As much as we get frustrated with Apple's IOS decisions at times I can assure you they beat the other options by a fair distance.

At work I used Linux, Unix (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX) and some limited Windows (Laptops mostly for Office Apps) so when my family asked me questions about their Apple tools I told them to call Tom (our friend that was deep into Apple for his work).

Here at the AB Forum we provide "tech support" for each other but most of the time here involves recommending Apps we love to use to make music. Occasionaly, the "angry user" beast surfaces but a lot less than we'd see on an Android Music Makers Forum, I'll bet. Android has the same fundamental issue that Windows has... the hardware support comes from one company and the software from another. The opportunity for finger pointing is always available to blow the user off.

Don't you just love "shit that just works"? Me too.

• edited August 2018

AppStore is like a planet within a planet with Desktop-class apps on tablets for a fraction of the cost - what else could anyone ask for?

MacBook is great for graphics, video, music and web development work. macOS is built on top of Unix, we can install Windows on it (as a virtualization app inside Mac or BootCamp exclusively), hosting companies mostly have Linux and and MacBook is the best of both worlds for web development so we could develop/test our work on Unix and Windows and simulate the server environment of the hosting company.

1. I actually have found the customer service both online and in person quite good.

Customer Service: Fanatic and excellente!

1. When my MacBook battery became weak recently, I took it to the Apple Store. They ordered a new one and replaced for free!

2. When my MacBook gave me a white screen a couple of years ago and I thought it crashed. Took it to Apple Store and they found that the cable that connects to the HD came off (it actually developed that issue due to me lifting it with just one hand as per them and they are right about it - always lift with both hands) and they replaced it for free.

3. After that, they noticed that the HD's sectors were not reporting consistently in the diagnostics and they replaced the HD as well for free. My current MacBook is from 2013 and it out of warranty but they gave free service/parts under Quality Service.

4. 8 years ago, my old MacBook Pro hard-disk crashed (from 2006 - another out of warranty issue). I contacted Apple over the phone and they had me run Disk Utilities > Verify / Repair but that did not resolve it. They sent me a free HD and I had to go to a local repair shop to recover data from the crashed HD to an external drive and restore into the new HD.

Not sure how many companies would offer such free parts and service beyond warranty periods. Kudos to that!

1. If Apple hadn't filled our need for portable, economic, quirky music making with the creation of the iPad and the App Store would other platforms have filled the void? Would the tablet have been developed as quickly or as well?

Nope and nope! Growing up, all we had was Radios (I still love radio and audio!), box TVs, Floppy discs, Walkmans, CD/DVD players, pocket Cameras, Walkie-Talkies, brick Phones, Tom and Jerry, Stuart Little, Inspector Gadget... Yeah! :neutral:

I started my career on AT-286 computer with 640K RAM (also a barrier), 20 MB HDD, box monitor, MS-DOS, Clipper, dBASE, dot matrix printer, Wordstar, Lotus 1-2-3, Telex machine and NO internet, yet! Later on when they got a 14K modem spending a huge amount to trasmit data to HO, it was taking forever so they stopped using it. It was highly frustrating of something missing/lacking always. Applications were all character-based and data-specific with no APIs. I badly wanted a piano app but none were found for cheap; so I developed a couple of them:

http://sites.google.com/site/powerobject/piano
    [The CA-Clipper based app doesn't launch on the new 64-bit Windows and needs recompiling :neutral:]

If I had an iPad when I was a nerdy kid, that would have been a DREAM!! If there was YouTube, Google, smart devices and touch-screen apps, I could have been something else now. This generation is so fortunate and blessed to be living in these times of modern technologies and should realize their value and take advantage of them. If your kids are playing video games, do not get upset - encourage them and get more apps as it develops their cognitive skills - have them CONSUME all the available free knowledge. It's no surprise kids these days expect Game Money for a gift/present:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ready-aim-hire-a-fortnite-coach-parents-enlist-videogame-tutors-for-their-children-1533046708

When I visited my kid in another state, I went to pick up the rental car. The guy had an iPad in his hand and a pocket printer on his belt - he checked me all out of the parking lot without having to go to the counter for anything. I thought, "Wow!". Without touch screen innovation by Apple, that wouldn't have been possible at least in another 5 years.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Geez, @Philh0954 you got me! There's just no accounting what I do! However, you are absolutely right. I hate that the iPad chooses words for me when I write!!! When I don't proof I see I can say the most absurd thongs! It automatically numbers shit, you know that! It left out the 3 on purpose, just to get me... like it always does, the bastard!

Why can't Apple put a "thanks, but no thanks" button for this sadistic little wizard? It is so damn smart that if I write something it doesn't agree with it offers me that choice as an option on the left of the three choices. So if I write fick when I really mean fuck it offers me "fick" , fickle and fickleness! What the fuck! The genie is a prude! So yes, I will change the title of this thread ( even though I have been criticized about changing thread titles just to rouse the rabble) to I HATE APPLE! Are you happy now, Phil? And you look like such a nice man in your family photo!

Wow, I was just kidding around. Sorry I ruffled your feathers, man! Purely unintentional, though.

• I love Apple too. Like any company, they are not perfect, they do make amazing products. The fact that you can buy a program like Logic for $200 and keep substantial free updates from them is amazing and more than generous.

-Scarlet Jerry

• @LinearLineman said:
    Geez, @Philh0954 you got me!

Whoa, Mike... Phil was trying to make a joke and definately NOT at your expense.

I went back to see what #3 was and chuckled which is what he hoped for... a little levity is always appreciated. This one borders on 'wit'. "If I were an Apple hater" I'd have no valid reason (#3).

The automatic numbering on this Forum's software is pretty buggy and can mess up our lists and outlines when we do some after number-ing editing of the post.

• I never can fall in love with a brand, I can however fall in love with people - Jasper White 1967

• @McDtracy said:

@LinearLineman said:

Whoa, Mike... Phil was trying to make a joke and definately NOT at your expense.

I went back to see what #3 was and chuckled which is what he hoped for... a little levity is always appreciated. This one borders on 'wit'. "If I were an Apple hater" I'd have no valid reason (#3).

The automatic numbering on this Forum's software is pretty buggy and can mess up our lists and outlines when we do some after number-ing editing of the post.

Exactly right. Thanks!

• @Philh0954 said:
    Exactly right. Thanks!

I've made some jokes and lost some online friends over the years and it's just sad to see it when happens. I can assure you
    @LinearLineMan is pretty level headed... he's talked me off the ledge a few times when I've gotten heated. (And of course, I'm always in the right. We're ALL always in the right. That's the online paradox. We're all right. Even when we're not.

Context is the key to any misunderstanding between people of goodwill. After getting the context we mumble... "Oh, nevermind."

• It is ironic that it should happen at the same time - we are praising Apple so much here but in the other thread where Apple pulled the plug on affiliates program, it is a different situation :neutral:

• Is anyone really serious when they say love and hate with regard to a company that makes stuff for profit? It's a corporation. It uses slave labor. It's filthy big. Don't they all eat kale, drink lattes and shit while the world crumbles around them? :) I'm really happy they make computer devices that provide great opportunity for artistic expression. I think they're the best we got for that. No need to get overly sentimental, or feel entitled to more.

• For me it‘s mainly about the software. The hardware is so...o.k. these days.
    However, now quantidy is over quality and form before function.
    As long as they update Logic and there isn‘t a replacement for my mac only music tools i will go this route.
    But do i love such a company......sure not.
    How could i love a company?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It’s a shop, they make things and sell them to people for a substantial profit.

And as in the removal of the Affiliate Program, we see they are just like any other, big, horrible corporate.

They don’t care about you - love people, not brands.

• @Philh0954 and @McDtracy and everyone else. I was just joking!!!! I guess the humor was too dry. Phil you do look like a sweet guy. I thought the humor was obvious. Oy! This is how wars start! How could I get so upset about Phil's funny remark!
    I am very sorry it was misunderstood! I was having fun!

My timing, as usual, has been perfect. Apple's announcement about the affiliate program certainly is a black mark against them. As I said, large corporations are sociopathic. They don't know right from wrong. McDs reasoning on that thread is sound. I truly feel bad for good people like Doug. I became a patreon of his a while back. Seems like the best way to thank these folks. Maybe it will be better for them in the long run because how much is the payoff for them when I buy a $15 app? Now those who were supporting them for their great service by purchasing apps thru them may feel a desire to become patreons.

• @Philh0954 said:

@McDtracy said:

@LinearLineman said:

Exactly right. Thanks!

yes, it was plain to see, @LinearLineman got the joke and was just going along with it, inverting his own thread title for comedy effect. no offence was taken.. sometimes I wonder if there are bigger cultural divides than we can ever calculate when it comes to Hyperbolic and inverted self depreciating humour. or maybe people are quicker to type and slower to digest texts these days.
    Unless, of course, it’s you guys that are pulling his leg :)

• @greengrocer said:
    I never can fall in love with a brand, I can however fall in love with people - Jasper White 1967

Brands and companies especially the big multinational corps only act in their own interests. Never love them but use their products as long as they suit your needs and drop them as soon as something better comes along.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:
    All about the 3rd party devs from my POV. Frustratingly I love enough of those enough to ‘tolerate’ Apple... Those devs go elsewhere, I go elsewhere...

Good point Apple owes a lot to the great and independent devs, withoutout them I probably never had an iPad.

• edited August 2018

@greengrocer said:

@Dawdles said:
    All about the 3rd party devs from my POV. Frustratingly I love enough of those enough to ‘tolerate’ Apple... Those devs go elsewhere, I go elsewhere...

Good point Apple owes a lot to the great and independent devs, withoutout them I probably never had an iPad.

I bought my first iPad because of the iMS20 app - nothing to do wth wanting an iPad. Got bored with that and the iPad went on the shelf until Audiobus and Gadget turned up. The rest is history.

No motivation for independent bloggers and vloggers to promote apps (nearly all of my purchases have been a result of Doug's vids) = less sales = less devs making apps = less iPad sales.

Typical corporate short-term profit thinking. Looks like the devs are going to have to be seriously busy with promotion to make up for the shortfall.