Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DAW/Sequencer Apps with Tempo/BPM Automation?

I tried using Google to search not only here but also abroad, and yet I'm having a hard time finding the answer. Besides MTS Studio and Auria, are there other DAW and Sequencer apps with Tempo Automation? I normally stick to sequencing in Gadget itself, but Gadget doesn't have tempo automation as far as I know, only time signature changes between scenes, and so I'd like to find something less clunky than MTS Studio/Auria to send MIDI to Gadget with, lol.

Comments

• Modstep allows you to set a BPM per section, but not really Tempo automation where you can just put a tempo message where you like.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Modstep allows you to set a BPM per section, but not really Tempo automation where you can just put a tempo message where you like.

True. Then again, I've never been able to wrap my head around ModStep, lol.

• Using iBassist to control a Link session is maybe the only option currently

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I tried using Google to search not only here but also abroad, and yet I'm having a hard time finding the answer. Besides MTS Studio and Auria, are there other DAW and Sequencer apps with Tempo Automation? I normally stick to sequencing in Gadget itself, but Gadget doesn't have tempo automation as far as I know, only time signature changes between scenes, and so I'd like to find something less clunky than MTS Studio/Auria to send MIDI to Gadget with, lol.

Caustic.

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

Humm ... out of left field maybe. But Patterning 2 has that super-cool tempo per pattern with variable slew rate. Since it and Gadget are Link enabled, you don’t even have to be playing any sounds with P2 and you can effectively automate tempo. I just tried it with both loaded into AB3 and it worked perfectly.

[Edit This is freakin’ awesome. It’s like the ultimate iOS / Link metronome.]

• @wim said:
    Humm ... out of left field maybe. But Patterning 2 has that super-cool tempo per pattern with variable slew rate. Since it and Gadget are Link enabled, you don’t even have to be playing any sounds with P2 and you can effectively automate tempo. I just tried it with both loaded into AB3 and it worked perfectly.

:astonished: Bloody ripper! And it really works?! I mean, you said it does, but does it for real!?

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@wim said:

:astonished: Bloody ripper! And it really works?! I mean, you said it does, but does it for real!?

Yes ma’am it do!

• @wim said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@wim said:

Yes ma’am it do!

You know what's funny? I just purchased n-Track 9 Pro yesterday, because I thought it'd fit my workflow flawlessly given it's universal. Had a lot of bugs, but the biggest insult was when it rendered audio, it had glitches. I just got a refund within 24 hours, because I knew then and there it won't gel.

SO, now it looks like once the refunded money appears in my iTunes account, I'll be getting an app I never thought would fit into my workflow but could possibly fit. (Well, if it doesn't fit, at least Patterning 2 will be fun to play around with.)

• @RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Caustic.

It has MIDI Out now? :astonished:

• @gsm909 said:
    Using iBassist to control a Link session is maybe the only option currently

Sorry. I was asleep when I wrote that. I meant Patterning2, not I Bassist

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Caustic.

no. you’re right. its been a while since i used it for midi stuff.. But it does do tempo automation and a very good midi file export if that would be of any use in your workflow.
    my apologies if that was a red herring.

• Auria pro.

• @RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Caustic.

no. you’re right. its been a while since i used it for midi stuff.. But it does do tempo automation and a very good midi file export if that would be of any use in your workflow.

Nah mate, it's good. Haven't used Caustic in a while, and I do know all of the tricks one can use in it. :smile: If only Rej gave it MIDI Out, there'd be no question what I'd be using to control Gadget and its bpm. :)

• edited July 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Modstep allows you to set a BPM per section, but not really Tempo automation where you can just put a tempo message where you like.

What is Modstep missing that you need? Or is it just the mysterious GUI? (It took me more time than usual to understand how it worked. I usually can sit down at a new DAW/Synth and figure it out in a min).

• @Multicellular said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AndyPlankton said:

What is Modstep missing that you need? Or is it just the mysterious GUI? (It took me more time than usual to understand how it worked. I usually can sit down at a new DAW/Synth and figure it out in a min).

It's the GUI mate. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It's the GUI mate. :)

Ya. I can't argue with that.

I will say this though, after my initial frustration in the GUI being non-intuitive, I've come to appreciate the utilitarian elegance of it. The usual limit to a single window dive and back is somewhat refreshing. Makes it viable for live use.

• @wim said:

Tip of the day B)

• Just got Patterning 2 last night, with the hope of experimenting with using its tempo-changing capability to sync another app, but didn't get that far. Still have to work through the basics of using this app, like how to create a pattern, how to set the time signature(s), etc.

SunVox definitely has tempo automation, and it too just received a massive update.

• @Telefunky said:

@wim said:

Tip of the day B)

Nice !

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Caustic.

Nah mate, it's good. Haven't used Caustic in a while, and I do know all of the tricks one can use in it. :smile: If only Rej gave it MIDI Out, there'd be no question what I'd be using to control Gadget and its bpm. :)

t’would be nice for sure... and whilst Rej is about it he could re-instate the roughshod granular synth that he once teased with a jpeg of the Gui , seeing as we are all gung ho for the grains right now! :)

• @wim said:

Duuuuuuuuuuude.....
    ‘Freakin’ awesome’ is right on the money.
    B)

• @gsm909 said:

@gsm909 said:
    Using iBassist to control a Link session is maybe the only option currently

Sorry. I was asleep when I wrote that. I meant Patterning2, not I Bassist

I guess technically you were first then. :)
    You also get a ‘Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!’
    B)

• @RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Caustic.

Wondering what happens if you automate tempo in Caustic, export the midi file, then import the midi file and play it back in a DAW or Sequencer that does not support tempo automation? Just the initial tempo, ignoring the changes?
    Anyone ever try to do this, or something similar with whatever other apps?

• @CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RockySmalls said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Caustic.

Wondering what happens if you automate tempo in Caustic, export the midi file, then import the midi file and play it back in a DAW or Sequencer that does not support tempo automation? Just the initial tempo, ignoring the changes?

yes, i was wondering the same after I had said it... I was presuming that if the midi tracks are imported in their entirety ( eg in cubasis ) and the quantize is switched off then the actual tempo changes in the notes should stand.. you won’t get nice bar definitions for editing though :(
    but i haven’t had time to go about testing that in the caustic to cubasis instance yet..
    I’ll make a full report if I get time in the near future..

• edited July 2018

Need to test that. That would be interesting to know.

Tempo changes can definitely be written into midi files. I collaborate with friends with different DAWs and Reaper at least will import the tempo map.

• edited August 2018

Patterning 2 is an incredible app, and I like playing with it. However, now that I learned the ins and outs, the last thing I can't figure out is how to get Gadget and Patterning 2 to recognise one another. When I look at Gadget's Link section, it says "1 app connected", but when I go go Patterning 2, it says "no apps connected". I tried a couple of different things, and at one point had Patterning saying "1 app connected", for a couple of seconds before it disconnected. What the hell am I doing wrong? Thought it was as simple as turning Link on in both apps.

EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot to load both in Audiobus first, lol. Now it works!

• @CracklePot said:

I didn't specifically try it, but it would depend on the type of MIDI file.

Some MIDI files are written with absolute timestamps for the events (i.e., in "wall clock" time) and no tempo information. These would import including the tempo automation.

However the vast majority of MIDI files have "ticks" as timestamps, and the "number of ticks per wall clock time" info written separately, so these would indeed import with a fixed tempo, even if they did contain tempo changes.