Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A very simple Task, but impossible to do with all this stuff??? Really??!???

Please dont get me wrong but i am frustrated. OK, let me please describe what simple task i would like to do.

I have Cubasis.
I have iM1.
I have nanokey Studio

I want this:
Play and record a Track in cubasis. The nanokey should send Midi into Cubasis and through this directly to channel 5 in the iM1 so i can hear just the patch that is on the iM1 ohn channel 5.
But because cubasis does not route an incoming midi signal from the standard channel (1) to the desired virtual midi channel, my task cannot be done.

So i bought the great and almighty Audiobus 3 and something called Midiflow Channels. And i hoped that i can workaround.

All i want to do is using Cubasis as a simple Midi Sequencer, like hiw i did over 30 years ago with an old Atari Computer and the M1 or other multitimbral sound modules.

Now we have 2018 and millions of Midi Apps around and Steinberg says since 3 years, "MIDI Thru re-channelizing is on our list of future updates.".

OK all i want now is someone who can tell that using Cubasis as a simple midi sequencer is simply NOT. POSSIBLE.

Please dont tell me about so called "workarounds". I also know that i can record a sequence with sounds in cubasis or change the patch on channel 1 in the iM1, then switch the output channel in cubasis and then select a different patch in iM1.

I just want to play the iM1 drums on channel 1, then switch to channel/track 2, play the iM1 Organ, then switch to channel/track 3, play the iM1 Bass and so on. If i have to re-select channels and patches everytime have an idea, the idea is killed instantly.

I appreciate every tipp that could lead to a Audiobus setting that solves this simple problem.

Comments

• edited July 2018

For switching patches you’re going to need to read the M1 manual. I think you just need to set up “performances” or something. Do you have M1 on the Multi setting already?

I’m pretty ignorant about that stuff.

Alternatively forget about Cubasis and get Gadget. It natively supports the Naokey, has all kinds of customisable midi mappings, a sequencer and all the instances of M1 you desire, hence no need for switching patches.

Actually Cubasis and Audiobus can still be used in your current setup, only route the midi from Cubasis into Gadget and use Gadget as your sound module. You will get the benefit of recording the audio back into Cubasis rather than fight against the limitations of Gadgets scene based sequencer.

• Thank you!! But i'm afraid i am too dumb... As soon as i connect a midi keyboard and have cubasis open, i cannot select midi channels in gadget (advanced midi) anymore.

• edited July 2018

Connect the keyboard to Cubasis. Start Gadget. Set the Cubasis output to the Gadget ports. Set the Gadget inputs to their input ports.

Pro tip set the Gadget midi sync to Auto or external for synced start stop playback

• @LucidMusicInc said:

Actually Cubasis and Audiobus can still be used in your current setup, only route the midi from Cubasis into Gadget and use Gadget as your sound module. You will get the benefit of recording the audio back into Cubasis rather than fight against the limitations of Gadgets scene based sequencer.

OK, as it seems i have lost my mind, can you describe this setup a bit further please?

• edited July 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Connect the keyboard to Cubasis. Start Gadget. Set the Cubasis output to the Gadget ports. Set the Gadget inputs to their input ports.

Pro tip set the Gadget midi sync to Auto or external for synced start stop playback

I cannot connect the nanokey studio just to cubasis! When i do this, the advanced midi in gadget goes away and so its not possible to select any midi input for the separate tracks,in gadget.

Edit:
    Tried to set input on each track in gadget to cubasis. then i select in cubasis as the output "gadget" and the matching midi channel (i have numbered 8 tracks in gadget: c/9, c/10, c/11 and so on). in cubasis it looks like: ->Gadget Ch9 (input is set to microkey/all).
    but when i play the microkey, no midi is sent to gadget. Only the cubasis internal onscreen keyboard is sending midi to gadget.
    And i wonder were is audiobus and how could this help?

Very strange this all.....

• edited July 2018

Go to Gadget settings and turn native mode off. Might do the trick.

It’s quite strange because it’s Bluetooth but I’ve tested these both in every conceivable way and it’s very much within the realm of possibility.

• Going back to your original question ( skip the Gadget sidetrack), do you need Cubasis in your setup? Or is channel routing all you are interested in doing?
    I can see if I can help you with AB3 and MF Channels to setup your routing, if that is all you need to do.

• edited July 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Going back to your original question ( skip the Gadget sidetrack), do you need Cubasis in your setup? Or is channel routing all you are interested in doing?
    I can see if I can help you with AB3 and MF Channels to setup your routing, if that is all you need to do.

Yes i do need Cubasis because i need a sequencer for composing. I prefer cubasis because of the workflow and the waves plugins.

• @Pummelfee said:

@CracklePot said:
    Going back to your original question ( skip the Gadget sidetrack), do you need Cubasis in your setup? Or is channel routing all you are interested in doing?

Yes i do need Cubasis because i need a sequencer for composing. I prefer cubasis because of the workflow and the waves plugins.

Ok. Let me see what I can cook up with those 3 apps.
    You are using iM1, correct?
    I will have to use a multitimbral IAA sound module that I have, since I don’t have that one in particular.

• edited July 2018

@CracklePot said:

@Pummelfee said:

@CracklePot said:

I will have to use a multitimbral IAA sound module that I have, since I don’t have that one in particular.

OK, but at this point you cannot solve my problem as the iM1 is IAA but cant be used multi timbral. only one instance is allowed in cubasis...

As i also have gadget, i could use it as a multi timbral sound module instead with some iM1i stances in it, just like lucid,usic described. but this is only theory

• @Pummelfee said:

@CracklePot said:

@Pummelfee said:

@CracklePot said:

OK, but at this point you cannot solve my problem as the iM1 is IAA but cant be used multi timbral. only one instance is allowed in cubasis...

As i also have gadget, i could use it as a multi timbral sound module instead with some iM1i stances in it, just like lucid,usic described. but this is only theory

Even worse, I can’t get Cubasis to respond to any Midi sent to it from the AB3 midi out slot.
    Maybe a bug in the new AB3 update, or a disconnect with the current Cubasis AB3 implementation.
    Good luck. B)

• edited July 2018

Ok, i was right. cubasis is unusable as a midi sequencer atm. But even with those "great" tools like audiobus etc. a mess....

• What you want to do is entirely possible and not difficult but I only have Gadget on my iPad right now so I can’t give you any guidance. Sorry I can’t help but somebody out there must have Cubasis and iM1 in their device. iM1 is multitumbral just like the M1 was.

• @Pummelfee said:
    cubasis is unusable as a midi sequencer atm

What an odd statement. Especially since the bottleneck is apparently not Cubasis, but iM1.

• @Pummelfee Try pming @wim or @aaronpc. I think Aaron is the iM1 expert cause he or Wim answered iM1 questions for me.

We all feel your pain. It can be really frustrating. As the iChing (hey, it's iOS!) says, perseverance brings reward! Stick with it. Pain has no memory.

• In fact I think I have it working here:

(make sure you have iM1 background mode enabled)

• One of the 'issues' with iM1 is that it is always listens to the hardware controllers and there is no way to disable that in iM1, same goes for iOS SoundCanvas.

I seldom use an external controllers with my iPad so sequencing iM1 is pretty straight forward using the Cubasis on-screen keyboard and multiple midi-tracks sending on different channels with iM1 as the destination once a 'Multi' is properly set up in iM1. (For recording add iM1 Generator as a source for an Audio-Track for recording).

On the real M1 it was at least possible enable 'local off' which was standard practice when using it with a sequencer...

• @brambos said:

@Pummelfee said:
    cubasis is unusable as a midi sequencer atm

What an odd statement. Especially since the bottleneck is apparently not Cubasis, but iM1.

Yes, it is odd, but more annoying is what steinberg states: "MIDI Thru re-channelizing is on our list of future updates." - it is an issue since over three years!

• Can’t you just change the MIDI channel of the hardware controller to match the appropriate iM1 channel? It takes 2 seconds on my MIDI keyboard. Then iM1 would only respond to that channel.

• @brambos said:
    In fact I think I have it working here:

@anickt said:
    Can’t you just change the MIDI channel of the hardware controller to match the appropriate iM1 channel? It takes 2 seconds on my MIDI keyboard. Then iM1 would only respond to that channel.

Not with a Korg microKey or nanokey studio. I have to connect them to a pc or mac to make changes.
    Because of that i hoped Audiobus could help.....

• edited July 2018

@brambos said:

Doesn't work with nanokey studio or microkey (they send on channel 1)

.....but what if i would set them with the korg configuration software on the mac to omni???? worth a try???

Edit: ok, omni mode does not exist

• edited July 2018

@Pummelfee said:

@brambos said:

Doesn't work with nanokey studio or microkey (they send on channel 1)

.....but what if i would set them with the korg configuration software on the mac to omni???? worth a try???

Yep but OMNI sends on all channels so you may have to disable MIDI input on other channels than the one you’re currently targeting

• i have a nanokey studio, cubasis, and iM1. Just tested out myself. As stated earier Cubasis doesn’t rechannelize midi input yet, so it’s up to the controller to pick which midi channel it’s sending. The nanokey studio doesn’t allow you to choose midi channels on the hardware, you have to set it either globaly or per scene with the desktop editor.

The only solution I can see is to use the desktop editor and create scenes each with a different midi channel. You can then toggle between the scenes and various midi channels on the hardware. You can store 8 scenes.

• @coolout said:
    i have a nanokey studio, cubasis, and iM1. Just tested out myself. As stated earier Cubasis doesn’t rechannelize midi input yet, so it’s up to the controller to pick which midi channel it’s sending. The nanokey studio doesn’t allow you to choose midi channels on the hardware, you have to set it either globaly or per scene with the desktop editor.

The only solution I can see is to use the desktop editor and create scenes each with a different midi channel. You can then toggle between the scenes and various midi channels on the hardware. You can store 8 scenes.

Thank you for this tipp!!! i think the 8 scenes solution is one workaround!

• This is the only solution I’ve found as well. No matter what I do (whether Cubasis is involved or not), iM1 grabs whatever midi is out there directly. I can’t seem to intercept and remap it with any of my usual tricks.

• edited July 2018

@wim said:
    This is the only solution I’ve found as well. No matter what I do (whether Cubasis is involved or not), iM1 grabs whatever midi is out there directly. I can’t seem to intercept and remap it with any of my usual tricks.

Can you RECORD on different tracks/channels???
    I can play the difderent channels now if i switch the scenes on the nanokey studio,.....
    I first made a mistake in the scene settings. Now i,try again, it should work now...

• FWIW, here's how I implemented re-channelization in MIDI Thru (the yellow line) ;)

• @SevenSystems said:
    FWIW, here's how I implemented re-channelization in MIDI Thru (the yellow line) ;)

That won't help in those cases where iM1.app or iOS SoundCanvas.app are used as they always listen to hardware controller first and there is no way to disable that behaviour :(

If one skips using a hardware controller both apps work well with any sequencer :)

• @Pummelfee how bout a new keyboard that works for this if it is so critical to your workflow? I am sure members can recommend.

• edited July 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    @Pummelfee how bout a new keyboard that works for this if it is so critical to your workflow? I am sure members can recommend.

I don't think that will help as long as the 'problem apps' will always respond to hardware first.
    We'd need an app that simply 'hijacks' CoreMidi and handles all the routing and I don't know if that can be done...
    (This is one of the reasons I wish both iM1 and iOS SoundCanvas would become AUv3's).