Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Working with audio files or midi - what's your preference?

I was just wondering if you guys prefer to work with audio or midi files? What are the pros and cons of both? I feel like more people recommend working with audio files, which I can't fully understand, but maybe I just don't know all the features :) What you think?

Comments

• use both, what i say is at some point if you wanna finish a project, turning all your tracks into audio files usually helps with finalising the mix.

• MIDI when writing, audio when mixing.

• I'm no expert here but in Cubasis I can only hear 1 or 2 of my favorite AUv3 synths before I get crackling. So, I convert them audio by freezing those tracks and keep creating. So, I stick with MIDI for as long as I can (and freezing the track archives the midi so it's not really lost to me... I can delete the paired audio and tweak that MIDI original or replace it).

I guess my input is sometimes audio tracks allow you to do more MIDI work and it's not a final decision to use them.

Some of my Apps misbehave as IAA or even AUv3 and I just use AUM or AB3 and route them into Cubasis as audio tracks to get the sound I want faster.

In the end (for me) it's going to be a audio product and I'm not agonizing over the perfect mix. Just trying to capture a creative experience for my own gratification and maybe a few trusted friends that have expressed an interest in following my progress in this medium.

• I had a similar dilemma when I took my stuff out of Gadget via macOS Gadget into Logic Pro X.

In the end I took the content out as audio, per track, and treated it as someone else’s audio. I tried using the Gadget gadgets as AUs in LPX, and a] they actually sounded different (quite likely because of insert effects I used in Gadget which weren’t carried over effectively into LPX) and b] it tempted me to continue tweaking the synthesis, and worse, the composition and arrangement in midi. That’s not allowed – the deadline for that had finished.

• I too will use midi for as long as I can because I can tweak without having to always freeze or convert to audio. But when I'm getting closer to the final cut, I'll usually create audio so I can mix and add effects. Most times I'll add FX last, after the audio is created.