Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS methods for preparing audio for compressed formats like YouTube?

Any general mixing advice for freeing up headroom, getting a loud final result, etc? Main DAW is AUM at the moment but I'm assuming the principles will work cross-platform.

Comments

• I'm also not doing anything too intense, just jamming in AUM and want to share the results without sacrificing loudness.

• edited July 2018

It depends on the platform, but most streaming platforms (including YouTube, Spotify, and iTunes) are moving away from loudness and normalize to a relatively quiet level (-14 LUFS). This is to prevent sudden jumps in volume from one track to another. The upshot of this is that if you try and create a "loud" track by aggressive limiting it will actually sound quieter than more dynamic tracks with troughs and peaks in volume. This is a good thing obviously :)

The exception to this rule is SoundCloud, because they haven't joined in with this trend, so mastering for loudness can still be effective on that platform. And going from a quiet track to another, louder, track on SoundCloud can blow your ears/speakers/headphones.

Anyway, on iOS the only reliable way to master for streaming is to use Pro L2 in Auria for the time being. I imagine that Pro L2 will come out as an AUv3 plugin sometime in the near-ish future and then you can master in AUM, or Cubasis, or whatever. Pro L2 and Grand Finale are the only limiters on the platform that can meter to LUFS, but Grand Finale can only take moment-to moment readings whereas Pro can read the average for the whole track, which makes it a lot more useful.

• Hoping Pro-L2 is released as an AU soon.

• I made a video demonstrating the process for Pro L2 in Auria, you could maybe try and fudge the process with AUM and Grand Finale:

• Exactly what I needed. Thanks, y’all.

Suppose I could always send the recorded audio from my Master bus in AUM to Auria Pro to do this, too?

• So @richardyot is there a preset in L-2
    That will render a good -14 LUFs mixdown? I’m hoping for a Moron-proof preset, your pullingdown the gain of your tracks (even tho they were grouped) is more than I was hoping to handle. (I CAN turn down my input levels when recording so they don’t distort but that’s as good as I get)

• @NoiseHorse said:
    So @richardyot is there a preset in L-2
    That will render a good -14 LUFs mixdown? I’m hoping for a Moron-proof preset, your pullingdown the gain of your tracks (even tho they were grouped) is more than I was hoping to handle. (I CAN turn down my input levels when recording so they don’t distort but that’s as good as I get)

Well no, because every mix is different, so there is no way to create a preset that deals with different input levels. Not having input gain is a bit of an oversight on FabFilter's part really.

Mix so your song is quiet, then you can always bring up the gain in the limiter.

• @JoshuaRex said:
    Exactly what I needed. Thanks, y’all.

Suppose I could always send the recorded audio from my Master bus in AUM to Auria Pro to do this, too?

Maybe, I haven't ever tried that. Hopefully once Pro L2 comes out as AU you can do it all straight in AUM.

• Before compressing the video for uploading to Youtube, leave at least -2dB of further headroom - the video compression seems to degrade the audio, and if it's normalized to 0 dB, it will distort - at least if you use LumaFusion as I do.

• Will probably "fudge" using FAC Maxima for the time being and mixing quieter.