Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AUv3 MIDI App: ScaleBud

Hey everyone,

I'm thrilled to announce that my new and first AUv3 app released today for iOS.
It is a music theory tool for composers, artists, and learners. It has more than 40+ scales and you can list either notes or chords for them in any key you want. With the keyboard on the bottom, you can send MIDI notes of the chords or notes.

It comes with the standalone mode, Audiobus MIDI Sender & Filter modes, and the AUv3 mode.

• In standalone mode and Audiobus MIDI Sender mode, you can control your audio apps with CoreMIDI.
  • In Audiobus MIDI Filter mode it can

• filter out off-scale notes in scale mode and
    • generate chords for the notes you are sending in the scale you're working in, if any available.
  • In AUv3 mode, it can do both MIDI sending through its own keyboard and do mapping/filtering like in Audiobus MIDI Filter mode.

You need a AUv3 MIDI supporting host like AUM, Audiobus 3, Beat Maker 3 or Cubasis 2, and iOS 11+ device in order to use it in AU mode.

It's core components are open-sourced as always, you can find them in the app store description or the ScaleBud page.

I'll keep updating it as I get feature requests from you. Hope you're gonna like it :)

http://keybudapp.com/scalebud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scalebud-auv3-midi-keyboard/id1409125865?ls=1&mt=8

Comments

• Congrats for your first AU MIDI, @cem_olcay ! ^_^

• edited July 2018

Hope to see some vids of this one in action.

All the best with it!

King

• Looks awesome!

Idea/request:

Have an option like your chord mode, but don't play the chord... Instead it acts as a filter or mask so notes that come though the plugin are not just constrained to a scale, but are constrained to a chord...

It's a great way to have arp-like melodies that are bound to a chord progression tighter than just being bound to the wider scale...

Make sense?

• Congratulations on the release. This is a much needed tool for the arsenal.

• I also would like to see those:

Lock mode for the keyboard.

Velocity control, more silent at the top, louder at the bottom of the keys.

Larger buttons.

Below thirds, also seconds. first and second or first and third or second and third notes from the triads.

Full screen with just a chord keyboard and a second single note keyboard.

Planting those ideas into your brain -->

• This is a great little AU

I was playing around with it in AUM and was having trouble with my midi keyboard not playing the black keys in ScaleBud. After looking at the standalone to confirm a bug, I don’t see a midi in option. Was midi in intended in AUv3?

Either way, thanks for another great app to play with!

• Great. Really need the lock mode for the keyboard. Good job.

• Thanks! I'm in for every idea :)

@ImortalTrashcan said:
    This is a great little AU

I was playing around with it in AUM and was having trouble with my midi keyboard not playing the black keys in ScaleBud. After looking at the standalone to confirm a bug, I don’t see a midi in option. Was midi in intended in AUv3?

You were probably in the c major scale, which is the default scale when you open the app. Since it has no accidentals, it filters out the black keys in the c major scale. You can use the settings menu in standalone mode for controlling MIDI Outputs you want to send MIDI to.

• Awesome !!!!

• Useful little thing, but you've gotta fix the onscreen keys. If you move your finger just a tad, the note or chord stops.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Useful little thing, but you've gotta fix the onscreen keys. If you move your finger just a tad, the note or chord stops.

Yes can confirm this as well. Auv3 mode in AUM with just about any synth.

• edited July 2018

So far amazing - it would be MUCH better (expressive) if it could send different velocities somehow?
    All of the chords are a fixed velocity = repetitive sounding :(

• Bought... nice... How about a Song Mode... Hands free can be useful.

• There is an AU parameter for velocity that you can set but they are hard to find in most AU host apps.

• As an AU, I kind of expected to be able to have more than one working instance. Did I miss something?

• I actually want to keep things as simple as possible for this one. I think there are lots of great apps out there for recording and editing MIDI data on a timeline. I can add a timeline and let you edit lots of MIDI parameters and stuff. But it won't be a simple, single-view, easy to use app/plugin anymore. Although, I'll consider adding one if you really want me to do.

• @JudgeDredd said:
    As an AU, I kind of expected to be able to have more than one working instance. Did I miss something?

You can actually, at least in AUM.

• @cem_olcay
    I was using it stand alone, driving Kontakt - nice big keys, but no velocity...
    Is there a chance stand alone can have velocity on the chord/note strips?

• Found a lil bug - whenever key is changed, the IDAM MIDI host switches off (in stand alone)

• @cem_olcay : Makes sense for some of us jazz type musicians who like to use more chord thension, 7th, 11tth, etc

• @Mayo said:
    Found a lil bug - whenever key is changed, the IDAM MIDI host switches off (in stand alone)

Good one, thanks, I'll release an update soon. Also, there is a velocity slider in the settings menu of the standalone mode. Does it work for you?

• @cem_olcay said:

@Mayo said:
    Found a lil bug - whenever key is changed, the IDAM MIDI host switches off (in stand alone)

Good one, thanks, I'll release an update soon. Also, there is a velocity slider in the settings menu of the standalone mode. Does it work for you?

I think, that was referring to what I already wrote above:

@tja said:
    I also would like to see those:

Larger buttons.

Below thirds, also seconds. first and second or first and third or second and third notes from the triads.

• @tja said:

@cem_olcay said:

@Mayo said:

I think, that was referring to what I already wrote above:

@tja said:

Larger buttons.

Oh, I got it.

• edited July 2018

@cem_olcay said:
    Thanks! I'm in for every idea :)

@ImortalTrashcan said:

You were probably in the c major scale, which is the default scale when you open the app. Since it has no accidentals, it filters out the black keys in the c major scale. You can use the settings menu in standalone mode for controlling MIDI Outputs you want to send MIDI to.

Here’s what I’m experiencing. I forgot to do it in the video but the keys in Scalebud all work, it’s just when I’m using midi in. I’m on an IPhone 8plus iOS 11.4

• @ImortalTrashcan said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Thanks! I'm in for every idea :)

@ImortalTrashcan said:

Here’s what I’m experiencing. I forgot to do it in the video but the keys in Scalebud all work, it’s just when I’m using midi in. I’m on an IPhone 8plus iOS 11.4

Got it, thanks. I found the bug, it will be fixed with the new update, in 24hrs :)

• @tja said:

Larger buttons.

This is exactly what I was thinking....a 'performance mode'. The scale and chord display in a single line. Larger buttons with a row of chords and a row of notes. Perhaps rectangular shape instead of square so the Y-axis could control velocity, filter cutoff, or LFO like the animoog keyboard.

Also, ScaleBud isn't showing up in Cubasis for me. AUM yes....Cubasis not at all. I tried a full reboot still no dice.

• Got it, thanks. I found the bug, it will be fixed with the new update, in 24hrs :)

Great news, thanks!

• Nice little tool. Can you put a lock on the keyboard so it doesn’t always slide to the next octave as you move around the keyboard. It’s always moving underneath my fingers when i play.

• I don't like to bombard Devs with requests... :)
    But it would be really nice to shuffle around the chords, so one can play progressions and not be stuck with eg: only being able to play 7ths chords on the strip.
    (cough cough...and playable velocity ;) )