Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The more I learn about SynthScaper the less I know! 😾

Back for my second question on Synrhscaper (and not the last).

I’ve been working in an empty scene, trying to ‘get’ each of the various features, one at s time. I have O1 & O3 muted and only working with O2. I’m trying to get an LFO to vary the level and am getting nothing.

1 Do the LFOs modulate the basic oscillator or is only applied to a sample?

2 How the changes to the LFO are done is still a bit of a mystery. I’m playing with the Rate and can see the waveform on the ‘scope, but get no effect. I have the Short range selected, and the full delay shows 3.0 seconds. But no movement of the level. I thing I’ve got the layers down ok, but getting an LFO to do anything is def escaping me. đŸ€Ș

Comments

• Is this not explained in the manual or is there not one?

• the manuals not very clear is it. took a few days for me to work out the envelopes and lfo’s. well worth persevering with though! it’s a serious instrument

• @Telstar - there is a built-in users guide, but it as provided minimal help. Also note that I’ve been trying endless combinations - even look at factory presets, and it still remains a challeng. One of those nasty things where everything you’ve done looks right but nothing works.đŸ€–

• ??? How did that crazy 70 pt type get into my question? đŸ˜Œ

• Did you try turning up the 'lfo to parameter' on the bottom right of lfo panel? It's set to zero by default I believe.

• edited July 2018

I struggle to reconcile with Synthscaper, even though I love Soundscaper to death. There's a difference between depth and esotery, there just is. Without a clear manual, it demands the user to figure out (more like decode) too much. Not to mention the menus/loading/saving is all very convoluted.

This was a big disappointment for me. Even the simplest synths on iOS are notorious for having toss-off, unhelpful manuals for their nuances. When you get this complex, it seems unfair to not have a comprehensive manual.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Did you try turning up the 'lfo to parameter' on the bottom right of lfo panel? It's set to zero by default I believe.

No - wasn’t sure what it was for. Will give it a try.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I struggle to reconcile with Synthscaper, even though I love Soundscaper to death. There's a difference between depth and esotery, there just is. Without a clear manual, it demands the user to figure out (more like decode) too much. Not to mention the menus/loading/saving is all very convoluted.

This was a big disappointment for me. Even the simplest synths on iOS are notorious for having toss-off, unhelpful manuals for their nuances. When you get this complex, it seems unfair to not have a comprehensive manual.

I agree - it does seem needlessly arcane and complicated. Even the few You Tube vids the dev did fly by so fast it is difficult to learn anything. And to make things worse, the majority of YT’s that call themselves “tutorials” are little more than somebody showcasing their skills, or just somebody tossing off a few presets off a few presets .

• @oat_phipps said:

Man I want to like sound scraper but damn I can't get it to work

• @seachord said:

@oat_phipps said:

I agree - it does seem needlessly arcane and complicated. Even the few You Tube vids the dev did fly by so fast it is difficult to learn anything. And to make things worse, the majority of YT’s that call themselves “tutorials” are little more than somebody showcasing their skills, or just somebody tossing off a few presets off a few presets .

I think the best way to describe it is it's literally like a puzzle game instead of a music app. You sit there, stare at it, maybe come back later and then find the solution after much experimentation and blind groping, and your reward is knowing how to use a new feature. Then there's another level...and another

• edited July 2018

I say this after trying to give it yet another fair shot between my original post and this. Some headway, but mostly futile, and certainly no real fun or inspiration.

• After AUM Synthscaper is the best app on ios. I love it. You can always PM the developer if you need advice on processes. He has a website too with advice and video's . This app is totally inspirational and the Dev is awesome!

1. Envelope parameter range - I would first turn delay down and turn LFO range up to hear the effect easier.

https://motion-soundscape.blogspot.com/2017/07/synthscaper-soundscapes-synthesizer.html

• it’s just a little more advanced than the average iOS synth. definitely needs an improved manual though. pretty sure English isn’t this developers first language.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    After AUM Synthscaper is the best app on ios. I love it. You can always PM the developer if you need advice on processes. He has a website too with advice and video's . This app is totally inspirational and the Dev is awesome!

1. Envelope parameter range - I would first turn delay down and turn LFO range up to hear the effect easier.

https://motion-soundscape.blogspot.com/2017/07/synthscaper-soundscapes-synthesizer.html

I agree it is a “top 5” app at the least. But it defied my several hours of experimenting to reveal any of its secrets!

• @seachord said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    After AUM Synthscaper is the best app on ios. I love it. You can always PM the developer if you need advice on processes. He has a website too with advice and video's . This app is totally inspirational and the Dev is awesome!

I agree it is a “top 5” app at the least. But it defied my several hours of experimenting to reveal any of its secrets!

Have you seen this? If not, maybe clarifies a bit.

https://motion-soundscape.blogspot.com/2017/08/synthscaper-how-to-use-effect-parameters.html

• I have visited tha site, but even that explanation is not easy to figure out. I will go back and take more time. All the “circles & arrows” (Argo Guthrie!) got hard to follow. But at least the dev gave a shot at explaining things.

• @seachord said:
    I have visited tha site, but even that explanation is not easy to figure out. I will go back and take more time. All the “circles & arrows” (Argo Guthrie!) got hard to follow. But at least the dev gave a shot at explaining things.

Did you try what I suggested?

• @seachord said:
    I have visited tha site, but even that explanation is not easy to figure out. I will go back and take more time. All the “circles & arrows” (Argo Guthrie!) got hard to follow. But at least the dev gave a shot at explaining things.

I won't deny that the interface takes some time to get comfortable in. I feel like I have to half-way relearn it each time I use it. Not terribly intuitive.

However, I agree with your assessment of it's power. For sound sculpting and sound design using your own samples.. I think it's the most powerful on iOS.

I'm thinking of the kinds of sound shaping design that one might use to create completely original and organic sounds that you might use in a film soundtrack for mood and fx. Mitosynth is close in this regard.

• @Treavor - JUST now changed the LFO to park range, and VOLIA! There is the LFO modulation working. One small step for SynthScaper understanding. đŸș😊

• @seachord said:
    @Treavor - JUST now changed the LFO to park range, and VOLIA! There is the LFO modulation working. One small step for SynthScaper understanding. đŸș😊

👌