Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2 is here now

Still 25% off as a pre-order.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/patterning-2/id1332154350?ls=1&mt=8

Also... Check out this playlist of Patterning 2 videos :

Comments

• Thanks for the reminder @benkamen .... just ordered mine! Can’t wait to give this a spin!!! :)

• edited July 2018

So why do we have to wait 1 week... ? Release it..Now.😚

Pre-Release..😣

• Best drum machine in the world keeps getting better. Thanks Ben!

• YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

• @benkamen : Do the Patterning One tutorial videos still apply ?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @benkamen : Do the Patterning One tutorial videos still apply ?

Yea, I don't believe there are any major things from 1 that have been removed.

• I’m trying not to buy more apps, but I love Patterning! Can we do more than 8 sounds per kit? I found the 8 in patterning pretty limiting when I needed 3 dedicated to high hat if it was a natural kit high hat. Also, is the new one going to have more than 64 steps per pattern? Thanks for making such an amazing app for us.

• Very well though out. already bought.

• edited July 2018

@benkamen will patterning 1 receive ableton start/stop in an update ? Would be amazing to use it to sync both 1 and 2 with ableton itself for 16 different sounds :D
    P.S. I LOVE the beta. Already preordered :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @benkamen will patterning 1 receive ableton start/stop in an update ? Would be amazing to use it to sync both 1 and 2 with ableton itself for 16 different sounds :D
    P.S. I LOVE the beta. Already preordered :)

I'll have to look into that... I forget if adding the start/stop was a major time commitment. I suspect I will be pretty busy with p2 for the next several months but that does sound useful!

• @DMan said:
    I’m trying not to buy more apps, but I love Patterning! Can we do more than 8 sounds per kit? I found the 8 in patterning pretty limiting when I needed 3 dedicated to high hat if it was a natural kit high hat. Also, is the new one going to have more than 64 steps per pattern? Thanks for making such an amazing app for us.

Thanks, I've added these to the official list of feature requests and bug reports. Please note that this is just a list of feature requests, and there are no promises! However, I've definitely thought about the more than 64 steps idea, and have some thoughts about how it might work with the UI.

https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues/68
    https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues/69

The "drum kit switching" feature in Patterning 2 makes it so you can switch drum kits when you change patterns, effectively allowing you to have an infinite (well not really, the device has a finite amount of RAM) number of sounds in a song. However, only 8 can be playing at a time, as each drum kit has 8 instrument slots.

• Pre-ordered and eagerly awaiting......

• @benkamen very excited knowing P2 is coming soon, there are a lot of cool things to look forward to!

A couple of questions about announced features:

-Quantized pattern launching: does this mean that if I set the quanta low to, say 32nd note and select the next pattern in the middle of a measure it will switch to the 1 of the next pattern on the next 32nd note? If so, very cool for complex rhythms. However, I hope that this is switchable as I do make extensive use of the current, in-place pattern switching method which is essentially like crossfading between the patterns.

-Ableton Line Start/Stop: hopefully this is configurable? I typically don’t start all my apps at the same time.

-color palette: I really like the old look, please make it available in P2!

Now, while I hate to be “that guy”, there are several features that I have been hoping for for years that I’m not sure are coming in the initial release of P2. These are mostly not major requests (I hope), but rather, workflow refinements.
    I am certainly not expecting a response to this post, but please consider putting these on the roadmap (if they’re not already there)!

-copy / move / rename patterns: I use the iPad more as a jamming instrument than a DAW, so I don't use Song Mode, instead I like to build up sequences of patterns that I can cycle through. Unfortunately with Patterning there's no easy way to copy a pattern to a different location. When you duplicate a pattern to make an alternate version, it ends up next to the original. Copying to an arbitrary location currently involves making a new pattern and manually copying each track from the Pattern page

-copy track layers: Ability to copy a single track layer (e.g. probability) and paste it onto any other track/layer. So you could take the velocity from track 1 and paste it as filter cutoff for track 2.

-don't rotate everything: track rotation is great, but I wish some parameters could be locked. This would allow things like reverb sends to be fixed in time while the notes cycle around.

-play every X loops: allow controlled (i.e. not random probability) variation in playback. Control could be long-press of the step to bring up a loop counter.

-LFO / parameter tracks independent of note tracks: one thing about drum machines is the automation is always tied to the pattern length, so the modulations are always tied to the notes making everything very regimented. Either with LFOs or parameter tracks that can be longer / shorter than the note tracks you could allow patterns to evolve.

-monophonic tracks: to allow choking of longer samples without using one of the two choke groups (or just more choke groups)

-sample start / loop / end modifications as performance automatable

-Master MIDI control: Option to use a base MIDI Mapping that auto switches to the active track (along with a "next/previous track" mapping). So your physical knob that's assigned to Coarse Tune will adjust the tuning of whichever track is currently visible

-Double tap to reset values

-Activate buttons on finger up: it's easier, especially on a touch screen, to control timing by lifting your finger rather then pressing down

-AUv3/Audiobus state save: AUv3 is, obviously, preferred but if it's too much of a challenge, adding in AB State Saving would be fantastic

-Universal app: I know this is a long shot, but Patterning is my favorite app for programming rhythms; really wish I could do this on the go!

• You have some great ideas. Thanks. If you want to be super helpful you can add these to the feature request list yourself (if not I'll try to do it later) :
    https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/

-Quantized pattern launching:

Yes. Range is from off to 16 measures, with 32 notes and up...

-Ableton Link Start/Stop: hopefully this is configurable?

Yes, it can be turned off. Also added Link Quantum setting.

Yes, it's in the system prefs under Patterning 2 and requires you to quit and restart the app.

• @benkamen said:

You have some great ideas. Thanks. If you want to be super helpful you can add these to the feature request list yourself (if not I'll try to do it later) :
    https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/

That's probably a dangerous request ; )
    However, I'll try to get those in...

-Quantized pattern launching:

Yes. Range is from off to 16 measures, with 32 notes and up...

Right, but I'm not totally clear on whether the launching would be from the "1" of the next pattern or, like it currently is, cutting into the pattern in place. i.e. now hitting the pattern buttons back and forth I cut between the patterns as if they are all playing at the same time; it's like beat juggling. This is what I'm hoping to still be able to do! (but quantized start will definitely be useful under other use cases)

-Ableton Link Start/Stop: hopefully this is configurable?

Yes, it can be turned off. Also added Link Quantum setting.

Excellent!

Yes, it's in the system prefs under Patterning 2 and requires you to quit and restart the app.

Yay!

• Looking forward to Friday!
    I like to download almost all the cloud kits. Is there a good way of recognising which ones you already have when scrolling through the various genres?

• @robosardine said:
    Looking forward to Friday!
    I like to download almost all the cloud kits. Is there a good way of recognising which ones you already have when scrolling through the various genres?

In p2, there is now also a download button for each kit as you are browsing. If you've already downloaded a kit, it'll show a checkmark instead of a "download arrow."

• @benkamen said:

@robosardine said:
    Looking forward to Friday!

In p2, there is now also a download button for each kit as you are browsing. If you've already downloaded a kit, it'll show a checkmark instead of a "download arrow."

Good to hear- thanks- nice touch.

• edited July 2018

Ben does the waveform zooming in P2 zoom into the waveform instead of magnify the gain?

• @kobamoto said:
    Ben does the waveform zooming in P2 zoom into the waveform instead of magnify the gain?

No, the behavior is still the same as v1.

• ok then I'd like to request some zooming, as I need some help setting start points correctly on samples

• @kobamoto said:
    ok then I'd like to request some zooming, as I need some help setting start points correctly on samples

Yes I would back this absolutely- it is especially helpful if you import a short drum loop/ or even just audio with several different drum sounds one after the other- or anything really- just for getting those accurate start and end points quickly decided- it is too clumsy, difficult and slow at the moment. This would be a super addition and it would bring decidedly more sparkle to the Patterning party.

• edited July 2018

@robosardine said:

@kobamoto said:
    ok then I'd like to request some zooming, as I need some help setting start points correctly on samples

Yes I would back this absolutely- it is especially helpful if you import a short drum loop/ or even just audio with several different drum sounds one after the other- or anything really- just for getting those accurate start and end points quickly decided- it is too clumsy, difficult and slow at the moment. This would be a super addition and it would bring decidedly more sparkle to the Patterning party.

Cool thanks, I'll add to the feature request list.
    https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues/80

• @DMan said:
    I’m trying not to buy more apps, but I love Patterning! Can we do more than 8 sounds per kit? I found the 8 in patterning pretty limiting when I needed 3 dedicated to high hat if it was a natural kit high hat. Also, is the new one going to have more than 64 steps per pattern? Thanks for making such an amazing app for us.

Yes, more than 8 sound slots would be very helpful. 8 is a little meager, please make it 12 or even 16.

Also options to reorder and maybe rename the patterns in the song overview would be very welcome.

Lastly I am so much looking forward to the new version!

• @Eriko said:

@DMan said:

Yes, more than 8 sound slots would be very helpful. 8 is a little meager, please make it 12 or even 16.

Also options to reorder and maybe rename the patterns in the song overview would be very welcome.

Lastly I am so much looking forward to the new version!

I guess AU can solve the '8 sound slots' issue...?!

• not for us non-AU'ers, we need that stand alone app tight as a mosquitos hiney

• @kobamoto said:
    not for us non-AU'ers, we need that stand alone app tight as a mosquitos hiney

Ok... Well, just about 3 days to go...

• talk about a good reason for BBQ.... can't wait :)

• Is the sale price only valid for pre-buys?

• @kobamoto said:
    not for us non-AU'ers, we need that stand alone app tight as a mosquitos hiney

you've observed the tightness of a mosquito's hiney?