Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Should I buy AUM...I have DAW apps

2»

Comments

• AUM is essential... but you should also have a look at apeMatrix too. The matrix interface isn't for everyone, but the built-in LFO automation is pretty sweet. And the efficiency of screen real estate is also a considerable advantage. Less scrolling around.

• Wow thanks for all the responses. I think I understand better. It's essentially Auria's mixer without the editor section. But faster to setup a session and just play away. I think it would be a useful idea building app.

I just started really getting into this a couple years ago...but with some long time stents away from music.

So I opened Auria the other day to just start playing around with a song and see what happened...and made an 8 bar drum MIDI track with a free Lyra patch Then loaded Neo Soul and made some backing chords on another MIDI track. Then played a bass line on another Lyra patch for a third MIDI track...then loaded Salamander and improved some over all of that.

Basically that's what I want to do, make some music in this way.

• edited July 2018

First you buy an iPad, second, you buy AUM and Audiobus 3, and, off you go - buy whatever you like!

AUM is really fuckin’ unbelievable good and powerful, good looking and stable as hell!
    I use it to stack sounds from several synth etc...
    And, easy to make keyboardsplits between different apps/sounds...

Audiobus was the first technology to take iOS into something useful, AUM came after that to complement this technology...

• When you use multiple instances of a sequencer in AUM each sending midi to a AU synth....how do save your songs? Can AUM record pattern switching for each sequencer?

• @richardyot said:
    AUM is great for jamming, writing, and coming up with ideas. Much quicker to set up than a DAW. Essential IMO.

Is it easy to setup loops to repeat, in the way you would in a daw? Maybe share an example of a jam session setup?

• If you ONLY have an iPhone then run out and get AUM NOW. Trying to use many other phone only DAWS is a pain in the ass. Couple this with routing and FX insertions and Rozetta or any other midi sequencers (like Quantum) and you've have a lightweight flexible DAW.

You can do the same with Audiobus. ;)

• @Jmcmillan said:

Auria Pro has many benefits for you then:

The Lyra Sampler inside Auria Pro supports adding SF2, SFZ and ESX24 soundfonts.

If you like great pianos there are a few out there you can add for $0.00 plus sales tax.
    This sampler supports disk streaming so really large sample libraries just work. Like the "Piano in 162" or the 96Khz 24-bit Salamander (Auria's is 48Khz 16-bit I think). More "air" in the mix with more bits.

I can't find a competitive App for disk streaming SFZ's. Some can load them but "direct from disk" playback is a lot harder to implement for a 5GB Library. Worth $50 if you crave using the great free libraries out there for piano, orchestras, percussion, etc. If that's not your thing then... BeatMaker 3 or Cubasis. Or all three.

The Auria Pro FabFilter FX'es are desktop competitive tools with Desktop prices. Watch for 50% off sales and pounce. This week the FabFilter EQ was released as an AUv3 App. Expect the catalog to follow suit at $20-30 a pop. Again... watch for sales. FYI: The Amazing Noises "Limiter - Audio Processor" AUv3 for $3 is a steal. It can add tube-like saturation as well as just a limiter to protect your inputs from going into the "red'. Once distorted there's no AUv3 to clean that mess up. Is there?

• edited July 2018

Just a quick sample of messin’ around with a smooth jazz jam in Auria Pro

https://instaud.io/2s8W

Can I do on AUM? Do I need?

• Probably not. There aren't any pianos in AUM unless you buy them and no FX unless... are you seeing a pattern to this madness.

Unless you like muckin' about buying more Apps... in which case: see ya tomorrow.

• I have Cubasis 2, Auria PRO and BM3 but I consider AUM a must have. In a list of the top 5 essential iOS music apps, I'd consider AUM in the top #1 spot, followed by Audioshare and perhaps Audiobus 3

• edited July 2018

@Jmcmillan said:
    So I opened Auria the other day to just start playing around with a song and see what happened...and made an 8 bar drum MIDI track with a free Lyra patch Then loaded Neo Soul and made some backing chords on another MIDI track. Then played a bass line on another Lyra patch for a third MIDI track...then loaded Salamander and improved some over all of that.

You could do something similar in AUM using audio loops rather than MIDI, but bear in mind that AUM has no sequencer (so you can't record MIDI) and no built-in instruments. For your specific needs you might be better off sticking with Auria.

Having said that, I would say that working in AUM is pretty fast flowing generally, so for writing and jamming I personally would probably open AUM. If I came up with anything good then I would send my recorded loops to Auria to build a track.

(Edit) I actually think for the workflow you've described GarageBand would be the best bet - that's what I often use for writing tracks, it's awesome and has some great touch instruments.

• @Jmcmillan said:
    Just a quick sample of messin’ around with a smooth jazz jam in Auria Pro

https://instaud.io/2s8W

Can I do on AUM? Do I need?

Yeah! Nice and chilly!
    Make it into AUM? Why not?
    It’s all about fantasy and a sense of invent theory...

• AUM is definitely an essential purchase for freeform composition using sequencers and so on.

• I mostly use it to bring in an interapp audio instrument, like seekbeats, patterning or model d, etc, start recording and then spend 2-3 minutes mucking about, adding fx, micking those about etc. Then magically that file appears in audioshare and i open it in auria and look for the best bits and create loops.

Also it’s great as a hardware sequencer host, i can load some instruments and sequence them externally. again as a stereo master or individual tracks.

• @vpich said:
    I mostly use it to bring in an interapp audio instrument, like seekbeats, patterning or model d, etc, start recording and then spend 2-3 minutes mucking about, adding fx, micking those about etc. Then magically that file appears in audioshare and i open it in auria and look for the best bits and create loops.

Also it’s great as a hardware sequencer host, i can load some instruments and sequence them externally. again as a stereo master or individual tracks.

I don’t have external sequencers but the first paragraph could apply to what I have. Basically I have a 61key MIDI controller and a collection of DAW, synth, and sample based apps.

So open AUM, load a synth app in a channel, play around a bit to find an idea. Record a take or two into AudioShare and the load those into DAW to slice/mix etc.

Then in AUM, how is tempo kept same on all the Audioshare recorded files?

Also, this could be done only with Auria but do you find it easier with AUM?

Thanks!

• @Jmcmillan said:

@vpich said:
    I mostly use it to bring in an interapp audio instrument, like seekbeats, patterning or model d, etc, start recording and then spend 2-3 minutes mucking about, adding fx, micking those about etc. Then magically that file appears in audioshare and i open it in auria and look for the best bits and create loops.

I don’t have external sequencers but the first paragraph could apply to what I have. Basically I have a 61key MIDI controller and a collection of DAW, synth, and sample based apps.

So open AUM, load a synth app in a channel, play around a bit to find an idea. Record a take or two into AudioShare and the load those into DAW to slice/mix etc.

Then in AUM, how is tempo kept same on all the Audioshare recorded files?

Also, this could be done only with Auria but do you find it easier with AUM?

Thanks!

You pick aum’s tempo and files are automatically named with the bpm.

Could probably be done in auria but syncing interapp audio apps (which i prefer in these cases due to their internal sequencers etc, like the brambos ones or Xynthesizr etc). Last times i tried this in auria it was a mess, might be me...migut be corrected by now. Thing is it’s dead simple on aum.

Although if i’m playing into the ipad with a controller i prefer au and midi, so as of this morning i am using cubasis for that, which i had ignored for a time and fired up today and it worked perfectly for this.

So i roll like this:
    midi loops=cubasis
    Audio sequencer loops=aum
    Full blown multitracked producer sessions=gadget
    Mixing/editing=auria

• I think I get the picture now. AUM is similar to Auria's mixer side only. There's no editor side, so waveforms don't get saved as audio or MIDI clips in the editor side, but get output as WAV files in AudioShare.

No sure if I would utilize it in my workflow, but it still sounds interesting.