Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bitwig is on Sale until 7.31.18

edited July 2018 in Other

Just a heads up for anyone on the fence with Bitwig...they have a $100 off sale until July 31st.

I picked it up this weekend and wow...the modulation system is crazy nuts cool. I’m having a blast learning it.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/shop/webshop.html

Comments

• Good tip
    Annual upgrade is discounted as well

• Thanks for the heads up! I just upgraded my Reaper license, but since I am primarily a Linux user, I watch Bitwig with interest. :smile:

• Came across the sale today too. The MIDI seems about the best out there for a DAW - at least in terms of features?

• A question about upgrade plan if anyone can clarify. Let's say I buy it today, don't buy the upgrade plan a year from now but use it for two or even three years as is (so one or two years without updates). Can I buy the upgrade plan at that point for the same price as usual and get the most current version + a year of updates? Or is there a shelf life on your ability to upgrade?

• edited July 2018

As I understand their terms and conditions it's NOT a Pro Tools 2.0 attempt (aka dragging into a permanent update chain), so you may continue update plans at a later point in time if you consider new fearures worthwhile.
    Just checked Bitwig yesterday in the hope to turn my Win-8 tablet into something useful.
    Unfortunately didn't succeed, though some features are really smart.
    The screen design is technically correct, but a lot of eyestress due to permanent presentation of countless options.Not shure if customization options (they mention) can tame this in some way.

• edited July 2018

Cheers @Telefunky. Just found a FAQ that confirms.

From: https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/new-license-model.html

Does Bitwig Studio now come at an annual cost of the upgrade price?
    No, you can wait to renew your license, until you discover a new feature you like in the latest version of Bitwig Studio - and then get back on board again.

In my mind, that means it could be even cheaper than Logic in the semi long term. That is, if you're willing to wait until you need to upgrade and, possibly, wait for sales like this one.

The thing that got me wondering was this line under the BUY button for the one year upgrade in their webshop:

Valid for Bitwig Studio 1 and Bitwig Studio 2 licenses (including EDU licenses).

Now I'm assuming that's just making it clear that this isn't for the 8 track version. Or others.

• This thing is pretty nice on a tablet PC

• @Telefunky said:
    Just checked Bitwig yesterday in the hope to turn my Win-8 tablet into something useful.
    Unfortunately didn't succeed, though some features are really smart.
    The screen design is technically correct, but a lot of eyestress due to permanent presentation of countless options.Not shure if customization options (they mention) can tame this in some way.

Exactly same experience (on a cheap tablet I used to have and older Bitwig version) . On my PC with big touchscreen it was better , but I ended up using mouse and keyboard.

• @syrupcore said:
    Cheers @Telefunky. Just found a FAQ that confirms.

From: https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/new-license-model.html

Does Bitwig Studio now come at an annual cost of the upgrade price?
    No, you can wait to renew your license, until you discover a new feature you like in the latest version of Bitwig Studio - and then get back on board again.

In my mind, that means it could be even cheaper than Logic in the semi long term. That is, if you're willing to wait until you need to upgrade and, possibly, wait for sales like this one.

The thing that got me wondering was this line under the BUY button for the one year upgrade in their webshop:

Valid for Bitwig Studio 1 and Bitwig Studio 2 licenses (including EDU licenses).

Now I'm assuming that's just making it clear that this isn't for the 8 track version. Or others.

You can upgrade from 8 Track version for $259 fwiw.

• edited July 2018

Will certainly be giving this one a hard think/reconsideration when 'next ipad time' is upon me...

• Loving the Modulation tools and routing in Bitwig...some Quanta, Abu Dhabi, Chiang Mai and PolySynth 4 on this little journey:

• And a fun little lo-fi video to accompany it:

• would be nice to see some clips of moving around bitwig on your tablets

• As an owner of Ableton live 10 + Push and a bunch of VCVRack plugins I'm not sure bitwig does enough different to make me purchase it. But I'm definitely intruiged with version 2.4. might grab it when it reaches 3.0 or something...

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    As an owner of Ableton live 10 + Push and a bunch of VCVRack plugins I'm not sure bitwig does enough different to make me purchase it. But I'm definitely intruiged with version 2.4. might grab it when it reaches 3.0 or something...

Yeah...I own Live 10 and a Push 2 as well...but there's just something quite satisfying about using all these modulators...I just find that it's easier to do some things sonically at the moment...anyhoo...it's just another tool...and it's a lot cheaper than a Elektron Digitone :)

• @echoopera said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    As an owner of Ableton live 10 + Push and a bunch of VCVRack plugins I'm not sure bitwig does enough different to make me purchase it. But I'm definitely intruiged with version 2.4. might grab it when it reaches 3.0 or something...

Yeah...I own Live 10 and a Push 2 as well...but there's just something quite satisfying about using all these modulators...I just find that it's easier to do some things sonically at the moment...anyhoo...it's just another tool...and it's a lot cheaper than a Elektron Digitone :)

have you tried out push 2 with bitwig yet?

• Not yet. But i will :*

• edited July 2018

@echoopera said:
    Not yet. But i will :*

I'm curious. Don't all the new max4live modulators do most of these things that bitwig does ? Like the envelope follower etc ? You can even make them modulate each other in live. A video by adsr here:-

I also own most of the kdevices like these:- https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/modulators/

And also these:-

Speaking of elektron. You can do parameter locks in ableton using this:-

Is there something that bitwig can do that I can't with all of these ? I'm genuinely curious. It's not me bashing the app or anything. Maybe I'm just not seeing something that others have.

Also I'm kind of heavily invested in third party max4live devices. These are just a few of the ones I own lol.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018

You rock. I didn’t know about these. Thanks for them. Dang it...i knew i should have just bought the digitone :D

• @echoopera This Guy makes the template for Push2 and Bitwig. There are quite a few videos on his U Tube channel about it.

• @Dawdles said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@echoopera said:
    Not yet. But i will :*

I'm curious. Don't all the new max4live modulators do most of these things that bitwig does ? Like the envelope follower etc ? You can even make them modulate each other in live. maybe I'm missing something truly unique.

That was my feeling when I briefly trialed bitwig. Preferred max4live modulation plugs functions/workflow over bitwig’s modulation. But I literally only used it for an hour. Planning to check it out again when I get a minute. Massively in to Ableton/Push2 tho since v10 and gonna take something very close to perfection to pull me out now.... A ‘Multiple Daws’ workflow works for some people but always becomes a headache/distraction for me personally.

Yea. I checked bitwig out for just 2-3 hrs myself. At the time the sampler really turned me off. (Version 2.1 or 2.2 I think) but it looks like 2.4 fixes that. While having all those modulators easy to access is kinda cool it wasn't anything I couldn't already do as far as I tested.... M4l is an insane black hole of modulators even if you stick to the free devices in the max4live library online.

• I cannot imagine anything more powerful than M4L to be honest. I never had more than a quick look at Bitwig though...

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @echoopera This Guy makes the template for Push2 and Bitwig. There are quite a few videos on his U Tube channel about it.

Sadly his template doesn't yet do per step automation directly from the push :( he didn't even know ableton did this till someone pointed it out a month ago.

• @gonekrazy3000 thanks again for the links. I just got a refund on Bitwig so now i don’t feel like a chump fooled by a glitzy pitch :#

Your knowledge is deep and illuminating. Thanks for knocking some sense into me <3 B)

Is it cool to bug ya with Ableton questions from time to time?

• edited July 2018

Here’s a list the 30 current modulators in Bitwig, https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/devices/modulators.html

A KVR thread comparing M4L options v. Bitwig modulators (With pro and con points to consider)
    https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=480550

Additional consideration: M4L only ships with Live Suite $749, (or you purchase separate M4L license) Bitwig on sale $299, and is still less than 1/2 the cost of LIve after the sale.
    And if you want touch interface...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So like i said above. After some revelations and realizations i got a refund on Bitwig. In a way I’m glad i posted the link to the sale since @gonekrazy3000 woke my arse up.

As far as cost, the downside is that there’s a yearly renewal cost for Bitwig which will add up over a couple of years. Sure Ableton sometimes takes a couple years for a major update, but those years in between of incremental updates is free. I remember the 2 years between 9 and 10 and all the goodies i got at no cost.

So anyway, the sale is a good one, but we should all bare in mind that it’s an annual contract that you’re getting into. I don’t even know if the app will work after a year if you don’t renew...

Anyhoo...back to Touchable, Ableton and Push2.

• the KVR thread speaks to ease of use and workflow considerations and is worth s look.

The Bitwig deal isn’t a contract at all, after the purchase, if the user opts not to pay upgrade fee, the user has the working software, with updates to date, in perpetuity

One can stop paying update fee, wait x years, and pay the same $149 fee and reap the benefits of all updates from those x years.

I don’t think Live is overpriced at all, I just think the new kid is amazing (version 2 as opposed to 10)

• edited July 2018

Oh good to know. I’ll probably look at it again when and if it gets Push2 level hardware integration. I don’t want a Nektar keyboard fwiw. The Push4Bitwig script looks cool but watching the videos on how to use it gives me a headache...the workflow and hacks are a usability nightmare. It’s great that he did this, but he really needs UI and UX help to truly realize the potential.

Fwiw, the week of BW use opened my eyes on how to do some things and the video links above just showed me a path there in the tool I’ve already invested in.

It’s good that Ableton has some great competition...i think they see that and will push things further moving forward.