Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Thumbjam - the holy grail of natural

Just wanted to share this. I've always been a sucker for brass and small ensemble strings and I have to say that for me thumbjam is a one stop shop for those. I had people asking me 'who' were the string section that play on my recording and brass just sounds so warm. Maybe not exactly hi if but definitely warm vintage. There may be other, probably more expensive emulations on mac and PC but IMHO this is the best thing on ios short of hiring the real thing. Thanks @Sonosaurus

Comments

• I don't think too many people would argue with you on those thoughts. One of the all-time best apps I would say.

• Wasn't the update submitted to Apple?

• Apparently so.. :)

• Totally agree with everything you said. The crazy thing is that it doesn't just stop there. It's got to be one of the best midi implementations on iOS in my very humble opinion. There are a million little things that are in this app that make it so expressive too. The tilt pitch bend is a great feature that I just take for granted sometimes. That's always the feature that gets the "oh, wow, do that again" when I show it to friends. It has great sounds and an interface that let's you express yourself with them in a way that let's you leave your prints all over your creation (get it?...get it? c'mon, that was funny). A near flawless execution of an iOS music app. With so much that's already awesome about it you kind of have to wonder what in the world could make it better..........
    ;-)

• Agree. This and Loopy seem like mostly all you need for sketching song ideas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• What is "the update" that is being referred to here? I love this app, are we expecting new features?

One thing I hope is coming: the ability to run the "audio to MIDI engine" while the app is in the background. I got all excited when I discovered that feature.

I have to agree with all the compliments here, great stuff sonosaurus!

• Thanks folks! The update is not yet submitted, but I need to very soon in order to make the AB2 launch... here are the items of interest:

• Audiobus 2 support, including preset load/save
    • IAA client support
    • Now supports up to 4 screen splits, and up to 8 simultaneously loaded instruments
    • Velocity layering support (new instruments that actually have velocity layers to follow)
    • Now allows pitch tracking mode in background
    • Fixed instrument editing loop xfade issue
    • Fixed continuum mode in landscape orientation
    • Fixed issue with VoiceOver and menus
    • Fixed longstanding attack envelope consistency issue

I have some more exciting goodies planned, but those will have to wait until the next update!

• Yahoo! Thanks for adding that little pitch tracking tidbit. You are great at those... Geeky MIDI details

Other specs look great too. 8 instruments??!!

• @boone51 said:

...you kind of have to wonder what in the world could make it better

Well that didn't take long.

• Now supports up to 4 screen splits, and up to 8 simultaneously loaded instruments

Woa. That's hot. 4 separate midi channels? Independent outs for each in AB2 by chance? Sorry if I sound greedy! Just excited and mulling possibilities... like deleting sampletank :)

• Yes, TJ sit on my all time Favorite throne, and after i try the upcoming version its fill like it will never stand up!
    You will LOVE the update!
    And yes you have seperate outs in AB2 :-)
    the world is better today....

• Thumbjam is a beautiful sounding app. Sometimes, while on my commute home, I will play a little cello duet as I stare out the window. Very relaxing and beautiful.

• Can't wait! Love Thumbjam for violin, cellos and brass. It goes beyond the sounds and is also the performance aspect of the app gives that "real" feel. Used again on my latest track (not going to plug it again as it has a whole thread already :)

Anyhow, the one (minor) issue I have with the current version is with the velocity. I usually use the app in landscape mode and set the velocity to be triggered by where I touch vertically. However when I try to swell or fade a (violin) note in, it glitches a bit.

• edited March 2014

I have to admit I don't use all of the features of TJ but it was my looper of choice until I discovered loopy with those big controls. I found TJ buttons a little on a fiddly side when used in a real world live situation. I wonder @sonosaurus if there could be a way of having an option for having them slightly bigger. Something like a 'grandpa' feature?

• edited April 2014

I love me some Thumbjammin'! Very excited about the new features I am, for sure, obviously.

• @syrupcore said:

Now supports up to 4 screen splits, and up to 8 simultaneously loaded instruments

Woa. That's hot. 4 separate midi channels? Independent outs for each in AB2 by chance? Sorry if I sound greedy! Just excited and mulling possibilities... like deleting sampletank :)

All 8 loaded instruments can be controlled on separate midi channels, and yep independent outs in AB.

• @Schrodinger said:

Anyhow, the one (minor) issue I have with the current version is with the velocity. I usually use the app in landscape mode and set the velocity to be triggered by where I touch vertically. However when I try to swell or fade a (violin) note in, it glitches a bit.

Hmm, I'm not seeing this... what are the rest of your settings in the patch?

• @sonosaurus said:

@syrupcore said:

Now supports up to 4 screen splits, and up to 8 simultaneously loaded instruments

All 8 loaded instruments can be controlled on separate midi channels, and yep independent outs in AB.

Yay very happy about this :)

• Did I mention I love the attention to geeky MIDI details in Thumbjam?

Now I'm daydreaming about how I'll use the 4 channel thumbjam controller...

• Hey @sonosaurus any chance for the 'grandpa' feature in future TJ development?

• @supadom said:

Hey @sonosaurus any chance for the 'grandpa' feature in future TJ development?

So what kind of specifics are you thinking about? Some kind of user-created toolbar with your choice of buttons (and sizes) and commands to replace the standard ones?

• edited March 2014

I've always wished there were more slots for scales and a quicker, easier way to switch them in the middle of a performance. Much love for TJ here!!

• @sonosaurus said:

@supadom said:

Hey @sonosaurus any chance for the 'grandpa' feature in future TJ development?

So what kind of specifics are you thinking about? Some kind of user-created toolbar with your choice of buttons (and sizes) and commands to replace the standard ones?

That's a great idea, even a floating one like the keyboard on IVCS3. My original thought was just to make the existing buttons bigger but I see there's already 19 buttons on there. So maybe a live mode where only the transport buttons are present but probably the floating transport controls would be easier to implement? Or audiobus style hiding thing but bigger?

• @sonosaurus said:

@Schrodinger said:

Hmm, I'm not seeing this... what are the rest of your settings in the patch?

Steps to reproduce on my iPad Air :

1. Set iPad to landscape
    2. Select instrument. Violin seems to do it consistently
    3. Edit>>controls: volume:x-axis min:-25db
    4. Close controls menu
    5. Slide up and down one of the notes (slow or fast) and you'll hear the volume change abruptly, sometimes not change at all and sometime glitch

Hope this helps

• This (violin glitch, also other instruments, like flute, as well) happens on my iPad 4 too.

• So, you left all other settings of the Violin patch alone, including pan (which is also x-axis)? Perhaps I've fixed it here already sometime over the past year, all is well....

• Previously yes, but I tried it with pan set to none and the issue is still there. If it's already fixed in the planned update, then great! :)

• I was amazed at the useability of the steel slide guitar. I like that it still requires a fair bit of technique to pull it off.

• @sonosaurus said:

@syrupcore said:

It was difficult to not lick my screen when I read that. HOT DAMN! Thank you!