Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Digitone, Circuit and AUM in harmony and sync?! Help appreciated

Hey guys,

I plan to get myself a Digitone to add to my little "Studio". Until now I only have the Circuit and AUM (iPad) which to sync and midi is really easy (Apple CCK). What I want to do with the Digitone added, is not necessarily to remote control all component with the Digitone Midi Tracks but to have all three in sync together.

I read a bunch of stuff and watched a few videos but unfortunately I couldnt get my clear answer, if this is possible (I am pretty sure it is) and how it is done. Until now I would think: Midi out from the Digitone into the Circuit and the iPad with CCK/USB-cable into the Digitone. But then is the question if I can bring AUM to receive midi clock or anything the digitone sends to sync.

I think I have missed something here.... I am pretty new to this syncing and midi connecting, so I would be really glad for any help or insights into the right direction.
Thank you!

Comments

• edited July 2018

You will need a nice USB Hub to route all midi thru it since both devices support Midi over USB. And then you would set the Digitone and Circuit to receive Midi Clock/Sync from AUM.

Just plug the HUB into the CCK into the iPad and you are good to route however you wish...

Doing this will allow you to use the Digitone to send Midi to AUM to drive up to 4 soft synths...all while allowing the Digitone to be sequenced from AUM (BramBos tools, Quantum, or whatever you want to sequence with)

This is how I've set things up with my few pieces of gear...Circuit included.

Hope that helps.

I have this USB Hub and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerIQ-Charging-Macbook-Surface/dp/B00VDVCQ84/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531953812&sr=8-6&keywords=anker+usb+hub

• Thank you, @echoopera ! THAT was fast! Its actually not that complicated then (hardware wise, howto set it up in AUM will be another quest then).

But, I could with this setup use the digitone and its four synth tracks as a independent (but synced) instrument too, right? Will be a great new learning field for me... I see :smiley:

• edited July 2018

@david_2017 said:
    Thank you, @echoopera ! THAT was fast! Its actually not that complicated then (hardware wise, howto set it up in AUM will be another quest then).

But, I could with this setup use the digitone and its four synth tracks as a independent (but synced) instrument too, right? Will be a great new learning field for me... I see :smiley:

Glad I could help.

Yeah, what's great about this is that the USB Hub will allow you to communicate to the synths and receive from the synths.

In AUM you can route to the Digitone and Circuit, and route from them to your hosted synths in AUM...Audiobus, etc...

For you setup and example could be:

. Set up AUM with 4 of your favorite synths
    . Route Midi channels 1-4 from the Digitone to these synths in AUM
    . Have AUM send Clock
    . Set up your 6 favorite sequencers in AUM and route their signal to your Digitone (4 IN channels in) and Circuit (2 IN Channels)

...or configure it how you want to play :)

The great thing is as you add more gear, the Hub will support you and allow you to connect everything to the iPad via the CCK from that Hub.

• Hey @echoopera

thanks again, mate! Really appreciateded your fast and detailed help here. This morning I pulled the trigger and ordered the Digitone. I am excited to welcome him to the family.
    You really know this stuff, so I would be glad if I could catch you again, if I have any upcoming difficulties.
    I absolutely see the advantage of the Hub, really cool... since I actually have some other midi controllers around. Do you by accident have a nano key studio? This will not allow USB since it needs more power than USB provides. It may even work then with cable with a powered usb hub!?

USB Midi seems the way to go in my case. Thanks again, man!

• edited July 2018

My pleasure. Been on the journey so i am glad to help.

I do have a nanokey studio and yes it will work via cable USB on the HUB.

I’ll try and record a vid in a week or so showing the setup process. I have a Circuit, Octatrack, Minilogue, Push2, Toraiz AS-1 and a couple other midi controllers all routed into AUM at times to jam on soft synths.

One thing i love about the OT and Circuit is that i love sequencing iOS synths from them.

Here’s a vid a did earlier of using the Circuit to sequence my AS-1 and Minilogue via Audiobus:

• Wow, this is really cool! thanks for sharing! anticipating your new video too ;)

Interesting you do this with AB3. I need to dig more into that it seems.
    I use AUM to send Midi Clock to Circuit. But somehow I have the impression that they will get out of sync by time!? So both machines get offbeat...!? How ca this be, without shuffle or so!? weird...

oh and thanks for the nanokeystudio-answer :) great to hear that. I may need to develop a sort of initial patch for AUM with my midi stuff hooked into or so.

• Keep this thread alive <3

• @audiblevideo said:
    Keep this thread alive <3

So it seems more people have a need of Midi, Connection, Sync and more?!
    Feels good to know that I am not the only one ;)

• Ok, i got my Digitone! Oh my gosh! I love this device. Right now I am on the steep learning hiking trial... so much deeper than the circuit :smiley:

Anyways, problem I faced: I have connected iPad to hub and circuit and DN to the iPad that way. But... I can only send midi clock to one device out of AUM?!? Is there a way to send midi clock to more than one device?
    I will tag you here @echoopera since you already helped me a lot here. Thanks Sir!

• edited July 2018

@david_2017 said:
    Ok, i got my Digitone! Oh my gosh! I love this device. Right now I am on the steep learning hiking trial... so much deeper than the circuit :smiley:

Anyways, problem I faced: I have connected iPad to hub and circuit and DN to the iPad that way. But... I can only send midi clock to one device out of AUM?!? Is there a way to send midi clock to more than one device?
    I will tag you here @echoopera since you already helped me a lot here. Thanks Sir!

I think you just need to set the DT to receive midi clock and you’re good. It should pick it up from the AUM host in the routing config...the Midi routing symbol in the sidebar menu...3 vertical lines.

• Thanks for jumping in, mate! @echoopera

I got a cool mini jam with this setup:
    I hooked up the iPad via CCK to the DN and sent midi clock to DN via the USB (in AUM in the BPM menu). Then I took the iPad with a 3,5 headphone cable to the DN Right input and the circuit into the Left. The DN finally to the Bose Soundlink via cable. (I set the circuit to the same BPM and started in manually in time, worked good :))

Maybe I can get a midi cable and hook up the Circuit to the digitone and send from the digitone midi clock to the circuit too!? unfortunately aum will allow me to send clock either digitone or circuit. but maybe I can get the circuit through the midi cable to the party!?

Since the Bose is mono, I haven't had any problems with this routing ;)

• Cool. Just get that Anker USB hub and plug the circuit and digitone into it and route that into the CCK and route from AUM to either device.

• edited July 2018

Hi !
    Just for my information does audio is passing thru usb with the Digitone, or is it just midi ?
    In that case the Digitone is acting as a sound card I suppose ?
    Thanks !

**EDIT **: hmm seems it needs Overbridge (additional software) to use it as a soundcard...So just midi...And not even sure that Overbridge working with has been released yet...

But still a great synth, congrats for your new toy :)

• @crony

thanks mate! Its really great a synth with cool sequencing possibilities. I am still on my learning curve but the few things I learnt and discovered already let me fall in love haha

yeah, as you said, only midi through usb. this setup has to be audio connected into the DN (Left+Right) and USB, bet via hub into the CCK into iPad.