Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help please , advanced midi problem...Reading values from presets to midi controller...

Hello,

I'm on this for about 3 hours now, and I can't solve it...

I'd like to feedback midi values from my presets to be shown on my midi controller.
Each time I change a preset, the values would update my midi panels...

It worked DIRECTLY with MODEL 15.
Everything is sent perfectly (CC on load of each preset) so I can "see" the mapping on my midi controller.

But on DRC, Troublemaker (mainly) it just feedback the notes, not CC.
I can assign midi controllers to DRC or Tbm, no problem with that.

But the weirdest thing to me, is that no CC's are echo's while I play with a Resonance for instance.
I can only see the notes played (using MidiFlow to check what's going on live)

I use AUM to dispatch everything.

@brambos I'm asking you particularly, because I know it'll be obvious for you to tell if it's something that is implemented or not...
With TBM I used the AUx and IAA versions, same result : no CC's are echoed from the app itself.

Thanks a lot...

Comments

• No, Troublemaker does not send MIDI CC out when you change the knobs or settings. Apparently Model 15 does, but it's not a common feature in iOS synths as far as I know, so you won't find many apps that do this.

Unless I misunderstood what you're asking.

• Hello @brambos thanks !
    Yes you did understand well...

Do you see a possible integration in the future of this ? I guess I'd love to see that within all your apps...As I use a lot of them... :)

That would be the ultimate step, for me, to get a real usability in a live situation of different presets.

Thanks for considering :)

• @sinosoidal would you consider adding this feature to DRC ?
    Thanks...

• Animoog as well - they both have a CC maps file that will show in the Files app - and there are some nice Ableton CC maps out there for them. Definitely would like more apps with this feature - are there any others?

• I'm guessing with more apps becoming AU and using AU parameters instead of CC's this will become even less common.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I'm guessing with more apps becoming AU and using AU parameters instead of CC's this will become even less common.

I hope that's not the case - aren't those confined to the host? CC maps are great, especially with hardware, or for sharing etc.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I'm guessing with more apps becoming AU and using AU parameters instead of CC's this will become even less common.

I hope that's not the case - aren't those confined to the host? CC maps are great, especially with hardware, or for sharing etc.

I think most synth apps only receive CC and do not send, I guess the host could receive AU parameters and then send CC's, which would actually be a good way of doing it because the individual Auv3 wouldn't need to worry about it. It probably not as simple as it sounds though, it never is :D

• @AndyPlankton you're thinking sounds right at first reading...Host should handle that with AUx plugins, but I guess not with IAA synths...

That being said, why best pro/historic synths got that feature natively already ?
    And it's fully midi learn, so it's not about having "fix" midi parameters (seems...)
    And what if a host integrate that feature, and also the synth itself ? (conflicts ?)

Even if this feature would be interesting to have in a host, and solve all the AUx plugins problem at once (but put the "pressure" on the host's developers ! ) why can't we have this natively in good synths ?

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

While a very few apps like Model 15 and have bi-directional midi for cc values, virtually none send all those values on preset load. It’s a shame because this makes use of custom control surfaces such as you can build in MidiDesigner Pro much less effective.

While this bugs me, it’s also no different than using any hardware midi controller except those with motorized faders / knobs.

• Or apps could support relative midi CC for endless rotaries :)

• All the scapers can do this (FieldScaper, SoundScaper and Synthscaper)
    Go to settings -> midi->modes to enable.
    I haven't tried this out but am a fan of this trio!

• @crony said:
    @AndyPlankton you're thinking sounds right at first reading...Host should handle that with AUx plugins, but I guess not with IAA synths...

That being said, why best pro/historic synths got that feature natively already ?
    And it's fully midi learn, so it's not about having "fix" midi parameters (seems...)
    And what if a host integrate that feature, and also the synth itself ? (conflicts ?)

Even if this feature would be interesting to have in a host, and solve all the AUx plugins problem at once (but put the "pressure" on the host's developers ! ) why can't we have this natively in good synths ?

IAA synths talk to MIDI using CC for control it is the only method they have available....AUv3 have both CC and AU Parameters available to them BUT the standard is AU Parameters I believe.

In reality then both the AUv3 and the host could do it, but as you say that could lead to conflicts, well not really conflicts but double sending of CC's.

It is the host that knows when something is loaded or the track with the AU is selected so it makes more sense for the host to send the CC's at that point to update the controller state, this way a single controller can adjust its indicators based on which track is selected.

• @crony, this is definitely a nice to have feature. DRC doesn't support at this point. Maybe in a next release.