Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

((Pro-Q 2)) by FabFilter = (EQualizer) - in the AppStore Now! - £28.99 - ((AU<3))

Comments

• @tja said:
    It hurts to see that now, as i just 1,5 month ago, i bought 4 or 5 FF plugins for Auria Pro.

I am trying to convince myself, that my plan was to mix and master in Auria anyway, so that i have no need for the AU version.

At least for Pro-L2, Pro-C2 and Pro-MB, this could be true.

But an equalizer could be valuable before mixing already.

Or? :o :|

Hehe, yah I am feelin the pressure too...

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

@oldschoolwillie said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    But, do we know how much of the price in Auria Pro goes to Fabfilter vs Wavemachine Labs?
    Do remember also that mr Rim created his own VST framework into Auria just for the third party suppliers to join...
    Pro software demands pro prices, we have to rethink that on this platform...

I doubt if FF would allow their plugins being implemented in Auria framework for less that a profitable agreement.
    The Auria versions plus the AUV3 versions will run between 300-400 dollars. fleecing of the lambs.

I can’t say for sure, but I think I remember reading on more than one occasion that Rim (Auria Pro Developer) makes nothing on the plugin sales.

[edit] misread the post.

With software sales, any sale contributes to the profitability. The trick is in finding the price point that maximizes the balance between volume, price, and development effort.

• Has anyone tried this in BM3 yet? Seen many ask this, yet have seen no answer as yet. Just want to know if it runs OK in BM3 before I buy it.

Thank you to anyone that can help answer this :)

• @wim said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    But, do we know how much of the price in Auria Pro goes to Fabfilter vs Wavemachine Labs?
    Do remember also that mr Rim created his own VST framework into Auria just for the third party suppliers to join...
    Pro software demands pro prices, we have to rethink that on this platform...

I doubt if FF would allow their plugins being implemented in Auria framework for less that a profitable agreement.
    The Auria versions plus the AUV3 versions will run between 300-400 dollars. fleecing of the lambs.

I can’t say for sure, but I think I remember reading on more than one occasion that Rim (Auria Pro Developer) makes nothing on the plugin sales.

Yes Rim/Auria makes nothing, FF get all profits from their plugins.
    But Auria gets a solid toolset which appeals to the market, so works well for both parties.

• edited July 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Has anyone tried this in BM3 yet? Seen many ask this, yet have seen no answer as yet. Just want to know if it runs OK in BM3 before I buy it.

Yah, things like... Do all parameters automate? Beta and/or current version? Can we have a screenshot or video of the UI in action? How is the CPU use? Can you send me a gift card? Promo code?

• @Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:
    With the desktop music software I buy, I get the option to buy a newer version with extra features and stuff in it for a discounted price. So for example I updated Maschine 2 to Komplete - a massive amount of stuff for just £149 instead of £700 or whatever it was at full price.

I can see that better apps should mean higher prices. The issue with the iOS platform, as opposed to desktop, is the lack of upgrade paths. Until that’s addressed iOS pricing has to be substantially lower.

A fair point which FabFilter seem to have heeded. The desktop version of Pro-Q2 is £132.

Well, not really. At the full price, the Auria and AU version adds up to £80. If when the next big thing on iOS turns up and they make another version it’ll be £120. And when a completely new version comes out you’ll have to buy them all over again.

In contrast they offer upgrade prices (I’ve seen 40% quoted), and bundle pricing on the desktop versions.

• @Beathoven said:
    I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I think I agree with you. On the other, the AUv3 Pro-Q2 is a separate app that’s had to be developed separately from the Auria version and has added functionality in that it can be used in multiple hosts. You can still use the Auria version and FF have stated that support will continue. And there’s already a 25% discount off the usual price.

At this price point, FabFilter are not aiming this app at the casual music dabbler who occasionally likes to open Figure and make a little ditty. It’s aimed at those who want to either give their desktop set-up a mobile option for when they’re on the road, or those who want to break free from their desktop completely. Considering the desktop pricing, this iOS version looks like a massive bargain.

h

FabFilter is essentially "aiming" their AUV3 releases at the same customers who bought the Auria versions of their apps. The purchasers of this current release will be majority past customers who bought the Auria plugs. In any case If I were to purchase these AUV3 versions then I would have redundant apps on my system. Should we delete Auria at that point? Will Auria be relevant? The only good thing I can say is that after the FF purchases you will not have to buy anything else. You will be covered.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Beathoven said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    It’s going to be interesting to see how the fabs sell on iOS. There is different competition than desktop and lots of us have had great results from existing apps. Different market a little bit. I really really hope they are all #1 on the App Store for 6 week’s straight. Would be great for all of us.

This will only happen if people stump-up the money and buy it. I believe we’re at a turning point here. If Pro-Q2 sells well, more desktop plugin devs will follow and the platform will become a true alternative to desktop. If it doesn’t sell well, FF may not think the platform is viable and the other devs will avoid it like the plague; the platform could stagnate. Or it could into something else, something different and beautiful.

This has become a common refrain on these boards — if we want nice things, we need to pony up for them. Support the devs! Yes, definitely.

But this seems categorically different. This single plug-in costs nearly as much as Cubasis 2. It cost more than Beatmaker 3. That's nuts. Maybe these plug-ins are worth it, and maybe everything should be more expensive, but it really messes with the iOS ecosystem as it is right now.

If that's the prevailing attitude then the bigger devs are never going to touch the platform. The FF plugins are still far more expensive on desktop (about 4 or 5 times more expensive). Do we want iOS to have the same powerful tools that desktop users have? If yes, then we need to be prepared to pay prices that reflect the work that goes into making these tools.

Also these prices aren't new, they've been that price in the Auria store since 2012. People still bought them.

I wouldn't presume to know the sales figures of the plug-ins. Somebody suggested AP was the No. 1 DAW, but I would easily believe that Cubasis has surpassed it.

That said: You agree that it seems weird that an EQ plug-in costs as much or more than the DAW that hosts it? That it costs more than every single synth* on the market?

So something is out-of-whack. Maybe what's really out of balance is the cost of desktop plug-ins, and this will help correct that market.

*Moog Model 15 is also $29.99.

Comparing price points that way does not work as you’re assuming the same inherent value across a broad range of tools. Pro Qs price on iOS is quite frankly a steal if you mix and / or master your material on your iPad and you want the best tool for your end result.

• Yep. A steal if you want to mix/master on the iPad

• But what exactly is now the unique selling point of Auria?

• I bought the Auria version of Pro Q the other week when it was on sale, and I’ve spent every hour of every day since then trying to get a shelf filter to be at -3.00 dB and I haven’t yet succeeded, nor have I eaten any meals, had any sleep, gone to work or gone to the toilet – not until I successfully position the node exactly where I specify it. Why are people saying this plugin is good – it is total shit. I can’t get it to be at -3.00dB, when I let go of the screen, it goes to a different amount. Even with the Apple penile. Are you all completely insane?

• edited July 2018

@KING777’s enthusiasm & screengrabs isn’t helping but I just have to exhibit some self control and wait for the inevitable FabFilter sale. They’ve been pretty consistent on having a couple a year, with one towards the end of the year for sure.

I don’t mind supporting the devs but the reasons I gravitate to Auria as my main DAW are many, it’s not just the FF plugs. I will most likely use Auria Pro for most of my projects (of the 6-7 going now only 1 is not in Auria, that sole project is in Cubasis) because there are so many things that make audio recording, bussing & grouping and edits a breeze.

Of all the FabFilter plugins though Pro Q2 is the most essential, totally why it is released first, and of course I'd love to have it on hand for every session, in Cubasis, dicking round in AUM, etc. But I can wait, I still have it in Auria. But those who never got into Auria, or are on the fence about it now, I assure you the hype is for real & deserved.

This EQ is in probably 80% of every professional DAW setup from Blackbird Studios to EDM producer laptops. It's a serious piece of kit.

• @u0421793 said:
    I bought the Auria version of Pro Q the other week when it was on sale, and I’ve spent every hour of every day since then trying to get a shelf filter to be at -3.00 dB and I haven’t yet succeeded, nor have I eaten any meals, had any sleep, gone to work or gone to the toilet – not until I successfully position the node exactly where I specify it. Why are people saying this plugin is good – it is total shit. I can’t get it to be at -3.00dB, when I let go of the screen, it goes to a different amount. Even with the Apple penile. Are you all completely insane?

Did you try this?

I would not use an App like this without first reading the manual.

But i have no idea, if this equally applies to the AU version.

• @tja said:

@u0421793 said:
    I bought the Auria version of Pro Q the other week when it was on sale, and I’ve spent every hour of every day since then trying to get a shelf filter to be at -3.00 dB and I haven’t yet succeeded, nor have I eaten any meals, had any sleep, gone to work or gone to the toilet – not until I successfully position the node exactly where I specify it. Why are people saying this plugin is good – it is total shit. I can’t get it to be at -3.00dB, when I let go of the screen, it goes to a different amount. Even with the Apple penile. Are you all completely insane?

Did you try this?

huhhuh... they said knob.

• @AudioGus said:

@tja said:

@u0421793 said:

Did you try this?

A low shelf starting at -3 dB?

• @tja said:

@AudioGus said:

@tja said:

@u0421793 said:

Did you try this?

@u0421793 is busting balls re: the iOS touch interfaces tendency to not be the most precise way to do stuff with small little controls on a plugin/app/control, etc. With the FF's I put the node in the general area I want it and then fine tune it to the exact point using the Freq/Gain/Q knobs on the pop up panel.

I remember reading that you could press a second finger somewhere on the surface and then release the first finger and it stopped the maddening micro movements & futz ups from happening but I could never get it to work...

• @tja said:

@AudioGus said:

@tja said:

@u0421793 said:

Did you try this?

Natural sounding slope.

• edited July 2018

@u0421793 said:
    ... Are you all completely insane?

I know I am!

—————

However..

“Tip #1:

In the AUv3 version, tap n hold the “FREQ, GAIN or Q” knobs to type in a value, (easy precision)”

Let’s hope they implement that in the Auria/Pro version for ya, soooooon..

King

• @[Deleted User] said:

@tja said:

@AudioGus said:

@tja said:

@u0421793 said:

Did you try this?

Natural sounding slope.

I did not understand what exactly the goal was and so i just dialed in a -3 dB, which you then can easily move somewhere else.

I just wanted to point out that it’s easy and fast.

• @KING777 said:

@u0421793 said:
    ... Are you all completely insane?

I know I am!

—————

However..

“Tip #1:

In the AUv3 version, tap n hold the “FREQ, GAIN or Q” knobs to type in a value, (easy precision)”

Let’s hope they implement that in the Auria/Pro version for ya, soooooon..

King

Yep, this does not seem to work in the Auria Pro version.

• @AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Has anyone tried this in BM3 yet? Seen many ask this, yet have seen no answer as yet. Just want to know if it runs OK in BM3 before I buy it.

Yah, things like... Do all parameters automate? Beta and/or current version? Can we have a screenshot or video of the UI in action? How is the CPU use? Can you send me a gift card? Promo code?

Yes, this works great in BM3 (live version not beta) record automation of your screen movements - very easy. I added approx 6 instances of FF in a couple of BM3 projects all good on iPad Air 2. Also full automation using LFOs in ApeMatrix which is awesome.

Like many I invested heavily in these quality plugins inside Auria but that was then and this is now - I just couldn’t resist running several of these as AU :)

• @Trueyorky said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yes, this works great in BM3 (live version not beta) record automation of your screen movements - very easy. I added approx 6 instances of FF in a couple of BM3 projects all good on iPad Air 2. Also full automation using LFOs in ApeMatrix which is awesome.

Like many I invested heavily in these quality plugins inside Auria but that was then and this is now - I just couldn’t resist running several of these as AU :)

Cool, thanks for the info! What cpu is the air2 running at with 6 instances on six audio tracks?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:
    With the desktop music software I buy, I get the option to buy a newer version with extra features and stuff in it for a discounted price. So for example I updated Maschine 2 to Komplete - a massive amount of stuff for just £149 instead of £700 or whatever it was at full price.

I can see that better apps should mean higher prices. The issue with the iOS platform, as opposed to desktop, is the lack of upgrade paths. Until that’s addressed iOS pricing has to be substantially lower.

A fair point which FabFilter seem to have heeded. The desktop version of Pro-Q2 is £132.

Well, not really. At the full price, the Auria and AU version adds up to £80. If when the next big thing on iOS turns up and they make another version it’ll be £120. And when a completely new version comes out you’ll have to buy them all over again.

In contrast they offer upgrade prices (I’ve seen 40% quoted), and bundle pricing on the desktop versions.

I was referring to the point you made about the lack of upgrade paths on iOS and so the pricing should be substantially lower. The desktop version is £132, whereas the iOS AUv3 version is £30-£40, which is at least two thirds cheaper. I thought that was substantial. :)

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@Beathoven said:
    I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I think I agree with you. On the other, the AUv3 Pro-Q2 is a separate app that’s had to be developed separately from the Auria version and has added functionality in that it can be used in multiple hosts. You can still use the Auria version and FF have stated that support will continue. And there’s already a 25% discount off the usual price.

At this price point, FabFilter are not aiming this app at the casual music dabbler who occasionally likes to open Figure and make a little ditty. It’s aimed at those who want to either give their desktop set-up a mobile option for when they’re on the road, or those who want to break free from their desktop completely. Considering the desktop pricing, this iOS version looks like a massive bargain.

h

FabFilter is essentially "aiming" their AUV3 releases at the same customers who bought the Auria versions of their apps. The purchasers of this current release will be majority past customers who bought the Auria plugs. In any case If I were to purchase these AUV3 versions then I would have redundant apps on my system. Should we delete Auria at that point? Will Auria be relevant? The only good thing I can say is that after the FF purchases you will not have to buy anything else. You will be covered.

I can’t agree with your point that most potential purchasers already owned the Auria versions. A lot of people use other DAWs and a lot of people that do have Auria don’t own the FF IAPs. Also, when I buy an app it can often make another one redundant and I may stop using it. It’s just the way of things. For example, I’ve bought a lot of reverbs over the years, but I now only have Eos 2 and ADverb 2. I’ve deleted the others. In terms of whether Auria will be relevant, it is a great DAW and I’m sure there are plenty of people who will continue to use it.

• edited July 2018

@AudioGus said:

@Trueyorky said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Cool, thanks for the info! What cpu is the air2 running at with 6 instances on six audio tracks?

It’s past my bedtime (!) but just checked a project running lots of FX including 4 instances of ProQ 2 plus another on the master channel. CPU is fluctuating between 0 and 60 with occasional spikes at 70 but audio sounds good. These are MIDI tracks though triggering Sound Banks and samples not audio tracks.

Also, I recorded automation inside some of the ProQ 2 ones.

• Has anyone tried the FF AU in Auria Pro?

• edited July 2018

@realdawei said:
    Has anyone tried the FF AU in Auria Pro?

Ha!

Unusual/strange/weird question..
    Unusual/strange/weird answer..
    Not seeing it in the AUv3 list..

Very Unusual/strange/weird!

Interesting..

King

• I am loving this EQ! I could watch the spectrum analyzer all night like a lava lamp! Lol

I knew a little about EQ but this has got me studying it to a whole new level watching tutorials and trying different cuts and boosts.

Thank you FabFilter. You listened and made it happen. So great for iOS music production.

• @KING777 said:

@realdawei said:
    Has anyone tried the FF AU in Auria Pro?

Ha!

Unusual/strange/weird question..
    Unusual/strange/weird answer..
    Not seeing it in the AUv3 list..

Very Unusual/strange/weird!

Interesting..

King

In the Beta of Auria it works fine so when it is released it will show up

• edited July 2018

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

I was referring to the point you made about the lack of upgrade paths on iOS and so the pricing should be substantially lower. The desktop version is £132, whereas the iOS AUv3 version is £30-£40, which is at least two thirds cheaper. I thought that was substantial. :)

If you bought the Auria version (I did), and get the new version at full price, you’ll have paid £80 for an eq app. Assuming a new format doesn’t arrive, that’s about a third cheaper.

But, you don’t get the bundle pricing that the desktop versions enjoy, so if you buy the whole set the pricing is pretty close per plugin between platforms.

And then when there’s an update, you have to buy them all over again without enjoying the 40% discount desktop users get.

Not knocking the price of the new AU at all, and if customers are happy to spend another £300-£400 for a collection of effects they already have in Auria, and then prepared to do it all over again every time a new version is released then it’s obviously a healthy marketplace for this sort of thing.

From a personal perspective, I think if the iOS platform is to progress, attract better apps and higher prices then there has to be an upgrade model in place. In the short term the cheaper initial price of most apps is an incentive to buy, but in the long term it can sometimes work out more expensive.