Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any Good Recommendations Out there for Noise Canceling Headphones both Over Ear/ In Ear ???

looking for good quality that would exclude noise in a way that you could still work comfortably on music when other music is being played around you or in very noisy settings?

Comments

• Nothing better to suggest than the obvious Bose. Didn't want to get them, in fact gave specific instructions to the Missus that as she had a set ('for the airplane') we didn't need any more in the house, but bought them for the birthday she did anyway. Ten minutes later I went away for a couple of weeks of a lot of flying and a lot of music and a lot of traveling and noise and chaos and music and these damn things were and are brilliant. Got the wired, not the BT, for the record, and would not now give them back. I said thank you.

• are they the kind that use some tech to do the cancelling or just they block out the sound by plugging your ear so well?

• @kobamoto said:
    are they the kind that use some tech to do the cancelling or just they block out the sound by plugging your ear so well?

Def tech. They have a battery and a switch! Seriously though, and this IS the best example, but it's true everywhere, when you're at 38,000 feet there's a serious roaring hum at all times. Flick the switch and it all goes away. It's neutralized. I use them everywhere, but they're worth it (to me) JUST for plane travel, because the noise pollution of long trips is completely removed and somehow the unconscious stress of all that is removed as well. Game changer etc. AND, yes, it's awesome being able to really do music in that environment as well...

• thanks JG, what model of Bose did you get?

• edited July 2018

Boses in ears are pretty crappy compared to what else you can get for the same price. Some of the over ears are ok value, but still not very good value, most are overpriced and not as good as competition. My friend had some decent ones(i forgot the model), they were just almost as good as my then akg k141 studios, but costed like 50€ more, but on the other hand were a lot smaller and more suitable for outside use.
    If you want over the ears for indoors, im a big fan of the semi open AKGs, but iphone/pad doesent have strong enough amp to play that sort of reasonbly high impedance headphones very loud

I recently bought audio technica ath-e70 and they are really nice, paid 180€ used with extra remote cable + shipping. They are a bit heavy on the bass similar to high end sennheiser over the ears. Henny praised their little brothers, i think it was e-40, which are praised a lot by others as well. Ultimate ears is also a good brand, or at least the real ultimate ears, logitech bought it and has made some cheap crap under the brand, but the hifi ones are still very good. They also make reasonably priced very good custom molded ear buds.

• edited July 2018

@ToMess said:
    Boses in ears are pretty crappy compared to what else you can get for the same price. Some of the over ears are ok value, but still not very good value, most are overpriced and not as good as competition. My friend had some decent ones(i forgot the model), they were just almost as good as my then akg k141 studios, but costed like 50€ more, but on the other hand were a lot smaller and more suitable for outside use.
    If you want over the ears for indoors, im a big fan of the semi open AKGs, but iphone/pad doesent have strong enough amp to play that sort of reasonbly high impedance headphones very loud

I recently bought audio technica ath-e70 and they are really nice, paid 180€ used with extra remote cable + shipping. They are a bit heavy on the bass similar to high end sennheiser over the ears. Henny praised their little brothers, i think it was e-40, which are praised a lot by others as well. Ultimate ears is also a good brand, or at least the real ultimate ears, logitech bought it and has made some cheap crap under the brand, but the hifi ones are still very good. They also make reasonably priced very good custom molded ear buds.

Forceful and somewhat certain opinions you have there....

Can't speak for the in-ear, the model I have is over-ear. Headphones, like all bits and pieces of hifi etc, are notoriously x good/y bad. All I can say is that the value I have got from the objects I have has been terrific. If someone somewhere's getting an even better value, however they may judge it, bless em. :)

• @kobamoto said:
    thanks JG, what model of Bose did you get?

The 25. List is 200. No doubt can be had for less...

• edited July 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ToMess said:

Forceful and somewhat certain opinions you have there....

Can't speak for the in-ear, the model I have is over-ear. Headphones, like all bits and pieces of hifi etc, are notoriously x good/y bad. All I can say is that the value I have got from the objects I have has been terrific. If someone somewhere's getting an even better value, however they may judge it, bless em. :)

Well there is a reason why bose doesent sell well in headphone hifi circles and is seen in the similar light as something like beats headphones, not as bad tho. Its one of those brands that sell because of clever marketing towards general consumer who are in search of good, willing to pay, but dont know much about hifi. Again im not saying that all boses suck, they make some good products, but you pay mostly for the marketing, like with beats..

• cool thanks I will check them out...

ToMess are the ones you're talking about noise cancelling in some way, I'm specifically looking for the type that battles noise.... I'm using some vic firth drummer headphones but they are squeezing my head like a grape.

• I have Bose, QuietComfort 35 (the ones without Google Assistant). After reading review after review and top-ten-list after top-ten-list where Bose always seemed to come out on top, I caved in and gave them a go. I have to say they are the best noise cancelling headphones I’ve used. The technology cuts out most background noise even when there’s no sound playing through them. Once the music starts, the TV, annoying kids, the wife, all become completely mute! I was very apprehensive of the price (over £300), but I would pay the same price again.

• While Bose may not be the set of phones best suited to a hi-fi purist, they probably do have the best noise-cancelling tech on the market.

If you're on an airplane, the Bose will sound better than anything else. At home in your lounge, maybe not.

• @richardyot said:
    While Bose may not be the set of phones best suited to a hi-fi purist, they probably do have the best noise-cancelling tech on the market.

If you're on an airplane, the Bose will sound better than anything else. At home in your lounge, maybe not.

That depends how noisy your lounge is. ;)

• def gonna check out the Bose, but also interested in recommendations for non-tech based solutions as well.

and thanks everybody I appreciate the tips

• edited July 2018

Coming out of forum retirement to add some thoughts...

In my experience (of current / previous ownership), The Bose QC 25s are a good all rounder. They don't sound great (tad muffled), but they sound pretty good, the NR is one of the best. They are very comfortable and light.

The Bose QC 20 (on ear) are similar performance wise, they have a slight hiss, but in noisy environments you probably won't hear this. They are comfortable as they don't go into the ear. The battery life of the Bose's is one of the best for this class of 'phone.

You will still hear speech (albeit muted) with the active NR types - don't expect industrial / aviation muffs (Peltors and the like) type of attenuation. In the ear types (particularly the Etymotics) attenuate all frequencies better, but some people find them uncomfortable.

I currently use a couple of pairs of Parrot Zik 3's, they sound considerably better than the Bose's, have very little hiss and the NR is as good as (if not better). However, they can have some durability issues (as do the QC 25s) and the battery life isn't great.

Hope this helps !

• @kobamoto said:
    cool thanks I will check them out...

ToMess are the ones you're talking about noise cancelling in some way, I'm specifically looking for the type that battles noise.... I'm using some vic firth drummer headphones but they are squeezing my head like a grape.

Those in ears yes, but not the AKGs. For music production(mixing mastering etc) open or semi open design works better, as they give more natural sounding soundstage and they dont tire your ears so fast. Closed back studio headphones are made for monitoring things you dont wa t to leak to mics or leaking outside sounds to your ears.

• thanks Tomess,

Igneous1 I hadn't heard of the Parrot Zik 3's, will check them out thank you.

• edited July 2018

Instead of the Bose QC 35, I prefer the Sony MDR-1000x. I found that it does noise cancelling just as well, but music sounds much better. I did replace the stock earcups with slightly deeper ones which improve the comfort on long flights.

Awesome for airplanes, good for everything else.

• I have the Bang & Olufsen H9s and they’re great. They don’t sound quite as good as the wired H6s and the noise cancellation can’t touch Bose, but in terms of getting the best sound with good noise cancellation, I definitely preferred them to both the couple of Bose models I tried and even the Sonys, which would have been my second choice. It really came down to the (relatively) unhyped low-end and really sweet-sounding midrange. You also definitely need the app to EQ it to optimal sound for what you’re listening to and want to hear.

Plus the B&Os look great.

• edited July 2018

If you are looking for noise isolating earbuds, these are the comfiest ones for hours of listening fatigue-free listening:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R6i-Black-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00JPK9T1W

HINT: Use large rubber tips that should fit snugly. If the rubber tips are loose, even the best earbuds sound crappy.

For noise canceling ones, Bose are the best as they are the inventors of that technology.

• @ToMess said:
    Boses in ears are pretty crappy compared to what else you can get for the same price.

For earbuds, use large rubber tips that should fit snugly. If the rubber tips are loose, even the best earbuds sound crappy.

• edited July 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@ToMess said:
    Boses in ears are pretty crappy compared to what else you can get for the same price.

For earbuds, use large rubber tips that should fit snugly. If the rubber tips are loose, even the best earbuds sound crappy.

Comply > rubber

I have been enjoying hifi headphones and earbuds for over 10 years and know about how fitting effects the sound ;)

• +1 for the Sony MDR-1000x (and the M2 successor). They sound way better than the Bose, and cancel noise as well. They are also very well behaved when wired, with all NC options available - enabling zero-latency iPad music "creation" on the airplane.

• @MobileMusic said:
    If you are looking for noise isolating earbuds, these are the comfiest ones for hours of listening fatigue-free listening:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R6i-Black-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00JPK9T1W

HINT: Use large rubber tips that should fit snugly. If the rubber tips are loose, even the best earbuds sound crappy.

For noise canceling ones, Bose are the best as they are the inventors of that technology.

+1 on all this.
    I picked up some Klipsch X5s on a close out and for me, the sound is just amazing once they got broke in. I believe this is the line they replaced the X series with.

With a good seal, I believe the sound reduction is around 26db - once I’ve got some music going through them it pretty much cuts out everything else, except the lowest parts of the engines drone. Plus they are feather light and slip into my shirt pocket for boarding...

• @ToMess said:

@MobileMusic said:

@ToMess said:

Comply > rubber

I have been enjoying hifi headphones and earbuds for over 10 years and know about how fitting effects the sound ;)

With all the rave reviews on Complys I tried several, but I could never find a set that fit unfortunately. For me the single rubber “mushroom” has always worked best, (and I’ve been a longtime IEM user myself).

• Anyone have an opinion on these Fender IEM’s on sale for mixing on an iPad?

https://www.adorama.com/fe6871000010.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

$40 bucks seems to be a good deal. Looking for budget IEM’s to do some mixing when I’m on the go

• New Sonys beat Bose.. Google or YouTube it

• @illaddin said:
    Anyone have an opinion on these Fender IEM’s on sale for mixing on an iPad?

https://www.adorama.com/fe6871000010.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

$40 bucks seems to be a good deal. Looking for budget IEM’s to do some mixing when I’m on the go

For universal fit, the kz zsr or zs10 sound great.

However, nothing beats custom in ears for sound reduction and comfort, and for me they are necessary because even the smallest universal tips don't work for me.

• I have a couple of pairs of the Bose in ear. The noise reduction is great, and they sound good enough to cover all my headphone needs when I'm travelling (barring a Plantronics BT headset for podcasts when I'm running). I like to travel very light, so full size cans are out of the question.