Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Microsoft Surface Go

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Interesting. It will have some great advantages:
    Data exchange between apps, data only stored at one single location and a much wider choice of high-quality music software.

@Dawdles said:
    Maybe this new model will begin to pull in some better touch software for windows? Big hole there for devs to look at making a little £ if it gathers speed... The price and size at least makes it a lot more accessible than previous Surface models...

Touch support is key. Let's wait and see.

• Yes this is a good step forward. It does have a memory card slot and can run Win 10 pro. It will hopefully promote more touch app development for Windows too.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018
  • Update (just found on notebookcheck.com):
    Due to the missing Turbo Boost, the Pentium 4415Y offers a significantly worse single thread performance than the more expensive Core m3-7Y30. This should be noticeable in daily tasks.

Single-thread performance is especially important for audio apps (as in soft synths).
    For more recent cpu-hungry plugins, that might be an issue.

• I'm certainly keeping my eye on how this goes and what reports come out about its use for music, at those prices they are a very serious contender for my next hardware upgrade.
    Being able to run FL Studio 12 on one of those would be pretty hard to resist.

• @Dawdles said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I'm certainly keeping my eye on how this goes and what reports come out about its use for music, at those prices they are a very serious contender for my next hardware upgrade.
    Being able to run FL Studio 12 on one of those would be pretty hard to resist.

Yep, not to mention Bandlab Cakewalk, Reaper and Vcvrack.... All free and destroy iOS equivalents atm in most areas... Not super touch friendly tho :/ But maybe that will start to change...

FL Studio is fairly touch friendly I believe, not tried it with touch though I have to admit.

• @rs2000 said:
    Update (just found on notebookcheck.com):
    Due to the missing Turbo Boost, the Pentium 4415Y offers a significantly worse single thread performance than the more expensive Core m3-7Y30. This should be noticeable in daily tasks.

Single-thread performance is especially important for audio apps (as in soft synths).

Most windows audio apps are multi core optimized ;)
    Also although cpu turbo is great for launching apps fast , I wouldn’t trust it for audio .
    If the cpu is hot , or battery is low , then turbo is disabled and a project can get audio glitches out of sudden .

Will check on
    http://surfaceproaudio.com/

for real usage, hopefully he will get the new surface for testing . His YouTube channel is great for surface users .

• @Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:
    Update (just found on notebookcheck.com):

Also although cpu turbo is great for launching apps fast , I wouldn’t trust it for audio .
    If the cpu is hot , or battery is low , then turbo is disabled and a project can get audio glitches out of sudden .

Will check on
    http://surfaceproaudio.com/

for real usage, hopefully he will get the new surface for testing . His YouTube channel is great for surface users .

I'll be checking that out for sure, cheers for the link :)

• It's Windows, so, NO NO NO...

Have struggling with Windows to much in the past...
    Although it's Win10 now, perhaps better, but, no more Win in my life...

• This guy knows surfaces and testing DAWS so keep a eye out for his tests.

https://www.gearnews.com/surface-go-at-379-is-this-microsofts-ipad-killer/

• @Korakios said:

Not when used inside a DAW, that's why I said that, from my own experience.

That's definitely true, but also valid for the more recent MacBooks ;)

• Interesting stuff. If nothing else it’ll give Apple something to think about.

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    It's Windows, so, NO NO NO...

Agreed - for us who have left Windows behind - nothing would make me return.

I cannot see the Surface Go reaching critical mass sufficiently to persuade iOS only devs to engage in porting their apps to Windows. I may be wrong but I think it is too late for a windows touch device to gain traction in mobile music - not for many years to come anyway.

• @ageezz said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Agreed - for us who have left Windows behind - nothing would make me return.

I cannot see the Surface Go reaching critical mass sufficiently to persuade iOS only devs to engage in porting their apps to Windows. I may be wrong but I think it is too late for a windows touch device to gain traction in mobile music - not for many years to come anyway.

I bought a touchscreen monitor some years ago , hoping for many apps (even non audio) to be optimized, but nothing compares to iOS .

Can’t find a reason to have a windows tablet for simple tasks . Android is much cheaper solution.

• edited July 2018
  • I cannot see the Surface Go reaching critical mass sufficiently to persuade iOS only devs to engage in porting their apps to Windows.

As far as touch specific software goes this is the issue, there simply won’t be enough units sold to make it worthwhile, as for the market to reach that point it will need other manufacturers to make their own Windows Surface machines which will introduce the same problems that android has with the variety of specifications causing headaches for developers.
    This is evidenced by Microsoft themselves making this model with a less powerful processor to cut costs.
    I think unless another manufacturer really splits the market with some unknown amazing development the status quo of iOS for music will stand.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

i genuinely dont have probs with windows since 7. been using ableton for years.

• @Dawdles said:

@CRAKROX said:

I cannot see the Surface Go reaching critical mass sufficiently to persuade iOS only devs to engage in porting their apps to Windows.

As far as touch specific software goes this is the issue, there simply won’t be enough units sold to make it worthwhile, as for the market to reach that point it will need other manufacturers to make their own Windows Surface machines which will introduce the same problems that android has with the variety of specifications causing headaches for developers.
    This is evidenced by Microsoft themselves making this model with a less powerful processor to cut costs.
    I think unless another manufacturer really splits the market with some unknown amazing development the status quo of iOS for music will stand.

I respectfully disagree. I think Microsoft will corner the windows tablet market with these models and other manufacturers will struggle to compete for sales. So there’ll be Apple style unity with the OS software and hardware companies being the same company, for anyone seeking that. Android has a totally different vibe/perception and is off the table for me personally except for phones..

Re the market not being there.... all I ever read on here is that devs don’t make enough money anyway and it’s overcrowded and a labour of love etc....So if I was a dev I’d seriously consider making something mind blowing for windows touch and getting it out there pronto.... if like 15 devs did this and made some good videos of those apps it would be hard not to consider grabbing a cheap surface to check it out. And a market would eventually build....

its like in some ways the software needs to come first in order to make the hardware popular... kind of the reverse of what happened with iOS. But potentially just as effective route long term and possibly a good place to grab a foothold for small devs.... not to mention that there’s no iTunes costs for small devs to have to deal with. If someone wants to make something for windows touch they can do the whole thing on their own terms. That’s got to be kind of tempting? Though all of this is kind of ignoring how much incredible software already exists on windows and how easy some of it would be to tweak for touch....

Of course there’s also the piracy element on windows, but if software was priced similarly to iOS apps I think most people would rather just avoid risk of viruses etc and drop a few bucks on something...

It's not just about tablets either, there are more and more users of touch screen desktops and laptops !

• I live in both the Apple and the Windows world. But honestly, Windows doesn't even come close to the touch capabilities of an iPad. Touch optimized applications that work well can be searched with a magnifying glass.

I really don't know anyone who really uses the touchdisplay of a surface or yoga extensively. After a short hype phase, everyone works with the mouse on the desktop again. No need for a Touchdisplay anymore,

The iPad, on the other hand, offers completely different possibilities. Nobody would even think of using an iPad with a mouse. The iPad is designed for touch right from the start and works fantastically accordingly. The devs gave us so many amazing software already and we need not to wait for long time to see the next amazing music app on IOS.

I think IOS is way ahead of all other OS systems. Whether Windows can keep up in the foreseeable future I doubt very much.

I really love the iPad with all its possibilities. I manage 80% of my computer activities with my iPad and I have both powerful Macs and Windows pcs available.

But everyone can make his own experiences... 😎

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

i genuinely dont have probs with windows since 7. been using ableton for years.

Would ableton run smoothly on the cpu in this touch go?

• edited July 2018

I had to repair a Surface Pro 4 for a customer yesterday. I quickly tried Ableton Live 10 demo on this tablet and it was a very nice experience.

Windows 10 has mainly some issues with big updates, but has reached some good stability and much better security.

This Surface Go will have an issue IMO with its CPU and our music usage. It has a 1.6 ghz Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4415Y CPU. Should be ok to run Live or Bitwig not too heavy projects, but will not be able to run lot of/or heavy VST’s. Could also run Reason nicely.

• edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@Janosax said:
    I had to repair a Surface Pro 4 for a customer yesterday. I quickly tried Ableton Live 10 demo on this tablet and it was a very nice experience.

Windows 10 has mainly some issues with big updates, but has reached some good stability and much better security.

This Surface Go will have an issue IMO with its CPU and our music usage. It has a 1.6 ghz Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4415Y CPU. Should be ok to run Live or Bitwig but will not be able to run lot of VST’s.

Surface pro 3 isn’t ‘too’ bad. Definitely feels like you’re on a tablet in terms of power but I’d guess it was about as powerful as current iPads? Be interesting to hear reports on these new Surfaces and see what kind of load they can deal with..

Running Ableton Live and its nice freezing management on a tablet with iPad price is still really very tempting. I still have my laptop for big projects, but Surface Go ultra mobility form factor is really interesting.

Do you use Live on your surface?