Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget vs. Gadget / iOS vs. MacBook

Why would an iOS user like myself buy Gadget for my MacBook?

I am actually wondering.

What would be the benefit?

Comments

• Renaming the tracks.

• Using the plugins in other apps, including DAWs. It’s also a single price for all the gadgets. Been enjoying it though MPE support is getting pretty important, for me (and Korg hasn’t added it to anything).

• Also, being able to see instrument, note grid, arrangement, mixer, all at once (at least on my 1920x1080 monitor on my Mac Mini).

• You can use it with your existing Mac soundcard interface. Use drum pads and midi keyboard and audio recording using your sound card interface while on desktop. Also you can work on your iOS projects thru iCloud. It includes all the gadgets. Only thing is that it doesn’t include or allow some of the further expansions from Module yet. But if you have any takes using those in iOS you can render them as audio and open them in the audio Gadgets in Mac as a work around. Also they seem to be updating the Mac and iOS versions pretty much in unison now so there is no delay in going back and forth between the two feature wise and Gadget wise.

• You can use it with a bigger screen, mouse etc., which some people prefer.

They throw in the gadgets as AUs/VSTs for use in other DAWs. Although not the 3rd party stuff (some of the Module sample libraries and that new Propellerhead gadget).

Free updates (No more IAPs).

I dunno. Sometimes a change of scene can lead to a creative spurt, but I guess it’s really one for Gadget power users.

I’ve only really used it to get Lexington and Milpitas into Ableton so far. Still, I’m happy that it’s going to be developed into the future.

• I appreciate all this for real.

• Oh, and far far easier to get the stuff out of Gadget and into something else (in my case, LPX). You just save it as a set of these new-fangled things called files – audio files at that. They’re really weird things, they can go into these things called folders, and other things can also see into those folders and read and write to them, even though they didn’t create the files. Amazing. Why didn’t anyone think of this before?

• @tomato_juice said:

They throw in the gadgets as AUs/VSTs for use in other DAWs. Although not the 3rd party stuff (some of the Module sample libraries and that new Propellerhead gadget).

I thought I read that the new Propellerheads Gadget (Stockholm) is included for FREE for Gadget for Mac users.

• Also, if you want to hear what your song sounds like with all the instruments on helium, open Logic Pro X while you’ve got Gadget macOS open, and Gadget will jump everything up an octave or maybe two.

Then probably crash.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@tomato_juice said:

I thought I read that the new Propellerheads Gadget (Stockholm) is included for FREE for Gadget for Mac users.

It is, but only within Gadget itself. You can’t use this one in other DAWs, at least so far as I’ve seen... Happy to be proven wrong here.

• If you don’t have many IAP gadgets for iOS, buying Gadget for Mac at the current 50% off price ($149) could end up being cheaper than buying all those IAPs separately.

• @u0421793 said:
    Also, if you want to hear what your song sounds like with all the instruments on helium, open Logic Pro X while you’ve got Gadget macOS open, and Gadget will jump everything up an octave or maybe two.

Then probably crash.

This! It’s a strong sell.

• On my iPad Air 1, I can only run 5-6 gadgets before I start losing polyphony. No limitation on the Mac. Especially helpful for some of the more resource hungry apps like Korg ODYSSEi.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    If you don’t have many IAP gadgets for iOS, buying Gadget for Mac at the current 50% off price ($149) could end up being cheaper than buying all those IAPs separately.

I did a quick tot-up earlier. I thought my Gadget collection was pretty well stocked, but the Mac version would only cost me about £20 than completing my iOS versions.

Tempting...

• @MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    If you don’t have many IAP gadgets for iOS, buying Gadget for Mac at the current 50% off price ($149) could end up being cheaper than buying all those IAPs separately.

I did a quick tot-up earlier. I thought my Gadget collection was pretty well stocked, but the Mac version would only cost me about £20 than completing my iOS versions.

Tempting...

Yes, you get all that stuff like Module, iWavestation, ODYSSEi, iM1, etc, which adds up to a lot of purchases on iOS.

• edited July 2018

@tomato_juice said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

@tomato_juice said:

It is, but only within Gadget itself. You can’t use this one in other DAWs, at least so far as I’ve seen... Happy to be proven wrong here.

OK, this is what it says on the Korg site about it:

"
    Stockholm by Reason
    Octo-Sample Loop Player

[...]

• In the case of plug-in, this is expected to be added in a future update."

So, yes. it appears that it will eventually be added as a plugin which you can use within Mac DAWs, but for the present it is, as you say, just within the Gadget for Mac app.

• I am really trying to not be tempted to get this mac version.

• edited July 2018

@Lady_App_titude said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Tempting...

Yes, you get all that stuff like Module, iWavestation, ODYSSEi, iM1, etc, which adds up to a lot of purchases on iOS.

Yeah, I’ve only just twigged that you get the separate Gadgets as plug-ins (never really looked into it before). That’s an awful lot of software for the money.

Ahhh...

• Anyone try these with the nks support. I’ve been tempted to get one of the Komplete kontrol keyboards and think this would be a fun addition

• >

• In the case of plug-in, this is expected to be added in a future update."

Hot. I’m going to ramp up these expectations of mine. Thanks @Lady_App_titude

• @ipluckthestring said:
    Anyone try these with the nks support. I’ve been tempted to get one of the Komplete kontrol keyboards and think this would be a fun addition

I can confirm NKS support. Which is an added bonus I didn't know about.

I just bought gadget Mac today after owning the iOS version for over a year now. The main reason why was AU support. Having each gadget with its own fx chain and routeable I/O is a big plus for me. I know it's redundant to buy something I already own, but just taking the steps of hooking up the iPad just to have it all route to one out was enough for me. To have NKS integration was a huge surprise too.

I did also buy Diablo 3 on 3 different platforms too. So i might not be the guy to make a good point lol.

• edited July 2018

"If you own the Mac/PC version of Gadget you could open Gadgets in the Reason rack since they include them as VSTs. But I get you, allow them to be purchased as single REs would be nice too."

Just read the above comment online. Is this true? Because if so, I'm there. . . .

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    On my iPad Air 1, I can only run 5-6 gadgets before I start losing polyphony. No limitation on the Mac. Especially helpful for some of the more resource hungry apps like Korg ODYSSEi.

Right there.

That is seeming to make the price worth it.

Just so hard to buy same product again......ugh

• @MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Tempting...

Yeah, I’ve only just twigged that you get the separate Gadgets as plug-ins (never really looked into it before). That’s an awful lot of software for the money.

Ahhh...

The only thing that is a slight disappointment is that the plugins are the Gadget versions, not the full stand alone version. That is, you don't get the full interface of the stand alone app for iM1, ODYSSEi, etc. You get the slightly smaller and more limited Gadget-sized screen. For example, the Gadget version of ODYSSEi (Lexington) has less screen real estate, so you don't get every parameter accessible at once on one screen. Not really a big deal, and only really relevant when you are doing heavy programming. You just might need to jump around screens a little more. Still, it would have been nice if the plugin version gave you the full interface of the various synths, like in the stand alone versions.

Example of the full instrument interface vs. the Gadget version:

• Great info Lady_App. Thanks!

I’m slow on the uptake, like Monzo I guess.

• I bought it mostly to use the gadgets as AUs, which has been pretty damn awesome to be honest. Otherwise I just use Gadget as a change of scenery if I’m in a rut. For some I take the music less seriously when creating on Gadget (on both platforms.) I kind of jump in with a “whatever” attitude and let things come without over-thinking. Result very, but it’s still liberating, and almost certainly a luxury it you already have a great relationship with another DAW. Could only justify it at the sale price though.

• One possible thinh to be aware of is that Gadget can be a tiny bit blurry on Mac. It was on my old iMac and it is on my new macbook air. Certainly not a showstopper, and some gadgets are better than others. Overall I’m very glad I bought it during the last sale, and find I use Gadget itself, rather than its vsts, far more than I thought I would.

• edited July 2018

@Lady_App_titude said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Tempting...

Ahhh...

The only thing that is a slight disappointment is that the plugins are the Gadget versions, not the full stand alone version. That is, you don't get the full interface of the stand alone app for iM1, ODYSSEi, etc. You get the slightly smaller and more limited Gadget-sized screen. For example, the Gadget version of ODYSSEi (Lexington) has less screen real estate, so you don't get every parameter accessible at once on one screen. Not really a big deal, and only really relevant when you are doing heavy programming. You just might need to jump around screens a little more. Still, it would have been nice if the plugin version gave you the full interface of the various synths, like in the stand alone versions.

Example of the full instrument interface vs. the Gadget version:

Thank you, that’s really helpful info.

Funnily enough ODYSSEi is the big draw for me. When I bought my MS20 600 years ago it was a toss-up between getting that, or going to the London Synthesizer Centre for an ARP. So having ODYSSEi on the Mac is really tempting, but not getting the standalone UI a bit of a bummer. I do enjoy using it on the iPad though.

Hmmm...sale’s on until August, so a bit of time to head-scratch and fence-sit!

• On my latest album project I used Lexington quite a lot, and as it went on I found I was using it in preference to almost all other synths in Gadget. If I’d known that at the start I might have used it for everything. I found the mono/poly gadget was slightly disappointing in the end, a bit floppy and lifeless, no bite or balls. I mean, compared to my real one I owned until recently. Iodysseiiii on the other hand is a lot like a real Arp 2800.

• @u0421793 said:
    On my latest album project I used Lexington quite a lot, and as it went on I found I was using it in preference to almost all other synths in Gadget. If I’d known that at the start I might have used it for everything. I found the mono/poly gadget was slightly disappointing in the end, a bit floppy and lifeless, no bite or balls. I mean, compared to my real one I owned until recently. Iodysseiiii on the other hand is a lot like a real Arp 2800.

The sound is definitely there with Lexington, it's one of my favourite iOS synths, shame when you use it in Gadget you don't get the arp.
    I have been considering iMono/poly for a bit now, interesting that you feel it lacks something compared to the real thing, most of their other emulations are pretty close to the hardware.
    Floppy and lifeless doesn't instill confidence, but the on sale price is tempting.
    Is it close enough to the real thing that an ear not quite as tuned in and educated as yours would notice ?