Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone every use iPad effects on a PA system for live sound?

I was just thinking that in lieu of rack mounted EQ/Reverb/compression, you could possibly use an iPad with AUM or other programs to do this... My Alesis iO Dock supports the i/O that I'd need. If you've done this in the past, what kind of setups and apps are you running to accomplish this?

Comments

• I would think the latency would be so bad that it would not be that great.

• edited July 2018

I hadn't considered that. Good point. I am currently using mine for guitar and the latency isn't that bad though. My band uses in-ear monitors which are routed separately, so there would be no latency. The main speakers would only have the few ms delay. which wouldn't be a big deal, I think.

• edited July 2018

Not a problem.
    if you have a newer iPad it can easily run a few channels/ effects at 64 frames latency, which should be acceptable.

I’ve run my guitar/mic though my iPad this way with no trouble. (EQ, comp)

• @yowza said:
    I would think the latency would be so bad that it would not be that great.

Yes, for insert effects like eq, compression, but stuff like reverb and delay would be fine, a little latency only adds to the spaciousness. It is clunkier to set up, and more delicate, (and more expensive) than a rack reverb, unless you left the iPad and Alesis IO dock plugged in to the PA.

A lot of the subtlety you revel in, in the studio, gets lost in live music. Average reverb and delay effects are all you need to make the audience happy at small clubs, coffee shops, house shows. At larger venues, with killer PA systems, and acoustic treatment, you would benefit from better reverbs, but, those venues can easily afford an effects rack.

If you are occasionally just using other people’s mixers, that don’t have effects, I’d use the iPad, but if it was my PA, that gets used semi regularly, I’d get an inexpensive rack effects processor, and a couple rack compressors. I use this DBX driverack thing, for the mains, and really like it, it does graphic eq, RTA (where you plug in a mic and it eq’s The system) feedback suppression (a life saver!), subtle compression, hard limiting, and crossover.

• Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try. I wonder how it would sound to run the final band mix through an audio mastering app, or saturation boost app like Master Record? I'm definitely going to try that too just for kicks.

• @Coloobar said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try. I wonder how it would sound to run the final band mix through an audio mastering app, or saturation boost app like Master Record? I'm definitely going to try that too just for kicks.

I use Final Touch, you can easily run your signal through that app, also for your guitar,as it has lots of effects.
    Use a mini jack with both audio in and out