Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Extremely difficult to choose one.
    Voted! 🎹
    (I guess that -once revealed- the results of this final will be shocking to many...)

• Voted. This was great fun. Thanks @tja for doing all the heavy lifting!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Voted. This was great fun. Thanks @tja for doing all the heavy lifting!

It was a pleasure :)

• I was waiting until the final results to thank you @tja for your efforts but now I realize there’s no point to wait. You have done a tremendous job that has been not only
    fun but highly educational also. Thank you very much!

• @Rodolfo said:
    I was waiting until the final results to thank you @tja for your efforts but now I realize there’s no point to wait. You have done a tremendous job that has been not only

Thanks a bunch :)

I am still a bit confused about our small group of voters.
    I thought this to be of interest for much more people!

• @tja said:

@Rodolfo said:
    I was waiting until the final results to thank you @tja for your efforts but now I realize there’s no point to wait. You have done a tremendous job that has been not only

Thanks a bunch :)

I am still a bit confused about our small group of voters.
    I thought this to be of interest for much more people!

I guess that maybe the issue is that something like this requires some effort and dedication from the voter too, you have to download many samples, listen to them carfefully, compare them, etc, etc and that implies a lot of time and commitment. I suspect that most people come here just to read/learn something and maybe ask or complain about nonworking apps or similar things. Just guessing...

• I think a lot will tune in (tune in! How old am I really!) for the results. We'll be able to tell by the views. May I suggest a new post with a paragraph or two of explanation? I am thinking to my consternation Ivory v. iGrand. Though if Salamander won that would be so quirky as to be pleasing. I never played Colossus, but how could 15 gb not make it to the top two?
    I know it is a real fave of @McDtracy. Maybe he will favor us with his own wrap up of events. RC275 with my own custom patch does it for me, however. I need look no further.

• Yes thanks also to you tja, this is a great endeavour. If you keep the samples with the app names on your soundcloud page it will certainly be very useful to potential buyers.

To me 19 clearly wins out of these last two, but others in the other semi finals came closer to 19. Colossus and rc275 being out of the game is really against all odds. And for players the reaction to playing dynamics (latency, velocity layers,...), the resonances between different notes/sections (sympathetic resonance?) will be of importance and this is really only to be felt by playing the apps.

• Now it's 6 vs 5, and I did not vote.

• One has unmistakable charm, the other left me slightly cold. Both great pianos but I’m still hearing some technical deficiencies.

• @onkey said:
    One has unmistakable charm, the other left me slightly cold. Both great pianos but I’m still hearing some technical deficiencies.

That's interesting to read!

• @tja said:

@onkey said:
    One has unmistakable charm, the other left me slightly cold. Both great pianos but I’m still hearing some technical deficiencies.

That's interesting to read!

I admire you for your tenacity in seeing this through to the end. Once it’s all wrapped up (and you can speak openly) I’d be very interested in hearing your overall observations/conclusions.

• Voted. Thanks for putting all this together! It’s been quite fun!

• @tja

Thank you for the effort, it’s been fun 😊

• @McDtracy wrote this to me in a PM. I don't think he will mind if I share it with you.

To us: A piano is a piece of furniture, an appliance with mechanical controls, an audio sound board that breaths in a room's acoustic space. It's felt hammers on metal strings with sympathetic resonance and sustaining tonal spectra.

When you hear something in IOS that gives you that feedback of the pianist/piano symbiotic loop you only want more of it. RC 275 is all that for you. Colossus gives me that
    feeling. It takes a long deep interaction with the IOS App to see how long the illusion of "reality" can be sustained. When you find one that works for an hour it's an amazing product.

Listening to a piano through speakers or a headphone just doesn't have the feedback loop so you switch to other decisions. Can I detect anything false or unflattering or a bad room for this piece, etc.

• Thanks for your feedback.

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

You wouldn't believe this:

15 people now voted, more than ever in a Poll.

And it is 8:7 now.

This is sure a marginal win.

Shall we still close?

Or shall I vote for a 8:8 :D

• Ahhhhhhh.
    Right now, there was another vote.
    It's 9:7 now

Close?

• edited July 2018

I only play real pianos (badly) and this has been entertaining, but really who’s it now? England vs France? That would be interesting but I’m rooting for the underdogs, call me sour...

• The winner is Piano 31.
    Second place goes to Piano 19.

Those were:

• That Salamander is "just" the free Sample library that can also be downloaded for bs16i.
    I am going to seek the reference.

• I did not expect it to win against Ravenscroft, Colossus and BeatHawk Acoustic Grand :o

• This one:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/15731/salamander-grand-piano-for-ios

The Salamander Grand Piano is a large detailed piano by Alexander Holm with 15 velocity layers (16 originally) and long samples.

https://rytmenpinne.wordpress.com/sounds-and-such/salamander-grandpiano

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0

This version was included in Auria Pro

• That is a surprise, although I have always liked Salamander. This contest dud not include Korg Module but that has a nice piano too.

• Awesome! What a perfect conclusion! Who can argue with a free app that has 15 velocity layers! Kudos to Alexander Holm. I hope he will be greatly gratified by the result! I am sure the downloads will now cascade. Ouch to all the for profit devs!

• @PhilW said:
    That is a surprise, although I have always liked Salamander. This contest dud not include Korg Module but that has a nice piano too.

Ivory is from Korg Module and lost more early.