Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How much has AUV3 negated the whole iOS file system thing?

I realize we still need a better one beyond what documents /Redle . has now . But has the urgency of it been abated any by AUV3? Is it less of a big deal now? I was thinking of jumping iOS ship but dammit , I’m staring to think that iOS is quite doable or is at least close to it .

Comments

• Humm ... I can't think of a single way it would. What are some ways you think it could?

• I see the point. You don’t need to move files between apps if you can use one app with AUv3 plugins. But you still need to get your sounds in and out of that app.

• @Telstar5 said:
    I realize we still need a better one beyond what documents /Redle . has now . But has the urgency of it been abated any by AUV3? Is it less of a big deal now? I was thinking of jumping iOS ship but dammit , I’m staring to think that iOS is quite doable or is at least close to it .

I’d almost abandoned iOS at the beginning of the year, but AU has pulled me right back in. Brambos apps, Steppolyarp, Spacecraft, Audio Damage, and AU updates for Sunrizer, Turnado etc. have made it fun again.

• I was very negative about AUv3 thing but seeing apps with nice GUI and full screen changed my mind

• @Korakios said:
    I was very negative about AUv3 thing but seeing apps with nice GUI and full screen changed my mind

Just like me :)

Which AU have a nice GUI and full screen that you liked?

• edited July 2018

I basically bailed on iOS since I got a push2 and ableton 10 is so much fun. Atleast in terms of sequencers. I still use iOS as sound modules though. With Aum and Ica4+ as my audio interface, Auv3 plugins are still quite useful for me.

• @wim : I was just thinking that it holds together a group of apps as just one file and so there’s less to well..... file.

• @tja said:

@Korakios said:
    I was very negative about AUv3 thing but seeing apps with nice GUI and full screen changed my mind

Just like me :)

Which AU have a nice GUI and full screen that you liked?

Well , I don’t buy apps now as I used to (must already have all the features I want and bug free, unless super cheap !) so cant tell much from my experience.
    But still watching the forum !
    Edit: Must mention Sunrizer synth as an excellent example .
    Still , not full screen as standalone , but at least it’s visible on small screens (10” IS small screen) unlike other apps .

• @MonzoPro : Xact .... Collectivly , new iOS developments was a game changer.
    @gonekrazy3000 : Thanks for that perspective

• @MonzoPro : Yeah Turnado as AUV3 might have been the tipping point back for me too.

• If Drambo AU and Quanta AU deliver as expected, my my my.

• @Telstar5 said:
    @MonzoPro : Yeah Turnado as AUV3 might have been the tipping point back for me too.

My Air 2 has been struggling with a lot of apps since updating to 11. The beauty of a lot of the AU stuff is that it’s much more CPU friendly. The AU Turnado and Sunrizer updates for example seem much lighter, and the Brambos and Audio Damage work a treat.

They’ve basically made my old iPad usable again. I was debating whether to get a new one once this one gives up, but all these new goodies mean i’m pretty sure I will now.

• The Files app is a move forward for the iOS file system (still room for improvement). The standardization of being able to use the same AU presets in multiple AU hosts is also a way to have significant improvements for the music workflow plus being able to access AU parameters as well.

• I still struggle to really take advantage of this in iOS. I realized that is till use single apps instead of trying to run many instances because the cpu and RAM isn´t there yet and also beside full screen AUv3 i find it not really usable.
    AUv3 are also still far away from their mac counterparts if you want really deep and stable integration in your DAW.
    Maybe a reason i still prefer self contained apps ala´NanoStudio on iOS and always will.
    (a reason i decided to send my iPad Pro back since it hasn´t much use and i have all my favorite apps on my iPhone as well).
    For me i would need much more power and maybe also a larger screen like 15" + to really enjoy this on a multi-touch screen. Also there is still too much switching involved which also gives me these terrible dropouts.
    It´s not there but i guess in some years it might be.
    So far i go back to an old but important thing....never change a running system :)

• not at all for me personally, auv3 has been a major game changer for me, but there are other apps non music related that use the files app too.

• iOS is quite doable, depending on what you want to do. :)

I think because iOS can't accommodate what we know is possible or routine on conventional and more powerful operating systems and devices, many people will never really be satisfied. iPads and iPhones always fall short in some ways. That's a deal breaker for some; for others we adapt to the system, use what works, and make the best of it. Then some people get excited with new stuff for awhile, their expectations go up, workflow flows, but then they see the grass is greener on the other side, eventually get discouraged, workflow is no longer smooth enough, maybe decide to abandon iOS for awhile -- but then new things excite them again, expectations go up, workflow is good but then it could be better to, no, it's actually unbearable, and then...

• For me, everything is awesome now. The past year has had so many fantastic developments. The FAC plugins, BM3, Sugar Bytes starting to AU their applicable goods. Files is off to an Ok start, (with some quirks to get used to). The budget synth of the week trend is over. SynthMaster One is poised for stunning bar raising greatness. All I really am looking forward too are various updates with bug fixes / standard features (Files in Gadget etc) and the as of yet unknown ‘game changers’ that are no doubt coming (Drambo perhaps?).

• Speaking of FAC we need more FACs. FAC me!

• @lovadamusic said:
    iOS is quite doable, depending on what you want to do. :)

I think because iOS can't accommodate what we know is possible or routine on conventional and more powerful operating systems and devices, many people will never really be satisfied. iPads and iPhones always fall short in some ways. That's a deal breaker for some; for others we adapt to the system, use what works, and make the best of it. Then some people get excited with new stuff for awhile, their expectations go up, workflow flows, but then they see the grass is greener on the other side, eventually get discouraged, workflow is no longer smooth enough, maybe decide to abandon iOS for awhile -- but then new things excite them again, expectations go up, workflow is good but then it could be better to, no, it's actually unbearable, and then...

Like you read me inside out :D

• @Cib said:

@lovadamusic said:

iOS will be ready for you in 2020 🎓

• @realdawei said:

@Cib said:

@lovadamusic said:

Maybe. I still use my iPhone so i pick my favorite parts out of it already.....only thing i want is NanoStudio 2!!!
    I have everything i need to make music until the end of my life.....so nothing to complain.
    It seems an iPhone for iOS and a macbook with Logic is just my perfect match yet.
    If iOS running on mac in 2020 i might be even more happy. :)

• @realdawei said:
    Speaking of FAC we need more FACs. FAC me!

FACn-a

• @realdawei said:

I really believe iOS music is just getting started...

In a few years, things might be completely different. Instead of "iOS Musicians". There will just be "musicians". Using iOS will be the norm.

That is, of course... If all the great developers here stay the course.
    🚂

• @analog_matt said:

@realdawei said:

In a few years, things might be completely different. Instead of "iOS Musicians". There will just be "musicians". Using iOS will be the norm.

🚂

Maybe but of course they are already in good use for what they can do and the size and input form.
    iPads and iPhones never will replace a notebook like a notebook never will replace a desktop etc.
    Great thing is we have the choice and it will get better for sure :)

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@analog_matt said:

@realdawei said:

🚂

I always hated iOS pre AU except for use as a sound module for my octatrack. Au + some really top level apps have made me take it more seriously.

Anyone that isn’t using iOS now is shooting themselves in the foot. The current selection of ‘best in class’ for synths/granular/sequencers stands up to a lot of desktop and hardware.

Desktop has had this for ages, but the difference is the portability and the touchscreen ui. Yeh for sure it’s not as nice as physical knobs and buttons, but as great as a ‘dedicated’ piece of physical hardware is, that normally comes with the drawback that it usually isn’t portable and can’t instantly become something else. An op1 can’t instantly become a model D. So the fact you can multitouch instruments to interact via touchscreen, in ways like physical hardware, albeit not as physically as real knobs etc, is really appealing compared to relatively bulky laptop + controller. Especially for portable scratch pad and sound design. I think over the next year or so there’ll be a lot more people venturing in to iOS...

Edit - I think effects are the main area lacking in iOS still. Tape sims, distortions, reverbs, filters etc. Would love to see a company like u-he, softube or soundtoys port over. Or even some of the smaller devs like Klanghelm.

A good point. But the point for me is i would need a controller for iOS while i don´t need one for my notebook to play midi. Playing on a small touch surface without trying to not hide to much of the screen and tweaking knobs is much harder for me on an iPad. Maybe i´m at a point where i can´t adopt to such a new workflow anymore (even when i use it since years on the phone).
    If GUI´s and controls will get better and yes, especially FX and better sample libraries i might try it again :)
    Time is another thing. Most things takes 10 times longer on an iPad yet and i just want to sit down and play a bit and maybe record a track.
    My dream machine would be still something like a new macbook pro which runs all my plug-ins but the large trackpad would be a real multi-touch screen driven by iOS.
    I think anyway macOS and iOS will end as kind of one OS like windows is already but it will happen slowly.
    But the app store is really not great.
    U-he synths for iOS would be great for sure....maybe in some years.
    But i still would prefer P900 in a heartbeat since (like i mentioned often) it was close to be already on iOS.
    Best DSP work i ever heard yet.
    Logic for iOS would be another thing. But then it would kill the market maybe since Logic offer all and more i found in all apps i ever owned for much less.
    Not sure about iOS pricing in general. A free app gets often much more attention while a maybe much better 5 dollar app is almost forgotten after some time. Of course free and cheap tools are great but it´s also not always the best thing for this market. And the opposite is that some apps are actually even expensive compared to what they offer.
    Strange world sometimes.
    IOS still feels a bit like a hype and i´m not sure how far it will go. That the major new feature are new animojis isn´t what i want to see :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@Cib said:

@Dawdles said:

@analog_matt said:

@realdawei said:

🚂

I always hated iOS pre AU except for use as a sound module for my octatrack. Au + some really top level apps have made me take it more seriously.

Anyone that isn’t using iOS now is shooting themselves in the foot. The current selection of ‘best in class’ for synths/granular/sequencers stands up to a lot of desktop and hardware.

Desktop has had this for ages, but the difference is the portability and the touchscreen ui. Yeh for sure it’s not as nice as physical knobs and buttons, but as great as a ‘dedicated’ piece of physical hardware is, that normally comes with the drawback that it usually isn’t portable and can’t instantly become something else. An op1 can’t instantly become a model D. So the fact you can multitouch instruments to interact via touchscreen, in ways like physical hardware, albeit not as physically as real knobs etc, is really appealing compared to relatively bulky laptop + controller. Especially for portable scratch pad and sound design. I think over the next year or so there’ll be a lot more people venturing in to iOS...

Edit - I think effects are the main area lacking in iOS still. Tape sims, distortions, reverbs, filters etc. Would love to see a company like u-he, softube or soundtoys port over. Or even some of the smaller devs like Klanghelm.

A good point. But the point for me is i would need a controller for iOS while i don´t need one for my notebook to play midi. Playing on a small touch surface without trying to not hide to much of the screen and tweaking knobs is much harder for me on an iPad. Maybe i´m at a point where i can´t adopt to such a new workflow anymore (even when i use it since years on the phone).
    If GUI´s and controls will get better and yes, especially FX and better sample libraries i might try it again :)
    Time is another thing. Most things takes 10 times longer on an iPad yet and i just want to sit down and play a bit and maybe record a track.
    My dream machine would be still something like a new macbook pro which runs all my plug-ins but the large trackpad would be a real multi-touch screen driven by iOS.
    I think anyway macOS and iOS will end as kind of one OS like windows is already but it will happen slowly.
    But the app store is really not great.
    U-he synths for iOS would be great for sure....maybe in some years.
    But i still would prefer P900 in a heartbeat since (like i mentioned often) it was close to be already on iOS.
    Best DSP work i ever heard yet.
    Logic for iOS would be another thing. But then it would kill the market maybe since Logic offer all and more i found in all apps i ever owned for much less.
    Not sure about iOS pricing in general. A free app gets often much more attention while a maybe much better 5 dollar app is almost forgotten after some time. Of course free and cheap tools are great but it´s also not always the best thing for this market. And the opposite is that some apps are actually even expensive compared to what they offer.
    Strange world sometimes.
    IOS still feels a bit like a hype and i´m not sure how far it will go. That the major new feature are new animojis isn´t what i want to see :)

Not sure what you mean by ‘But the point for me is i would need a controller for iOS while i don´t need one for my notebook to play midi’?

But yeah I agree with you overall. I see iPad as it’s own category. Not a laptop replacement. Not a desktop replacement. Not a hardware replacement. I think when viewed like that it’s a really interesting and useful tool. There’s a lot of situations where I don’t have any of those other things around but I have some time to mess around with sound design or sketch out ideas. And then those are banked for use in combination with all the other tools later, using it like that works out pretty great and mostly stress free :) I think more and more people based in hardware and desktop will get onboard similarly now that the quality and functionality is really opening up..

I mean i can´t play some proper melodies on an iPad but it´s much more easy on my macbook keyboard f.e.
    But that´s just me of course. I´m also more the type that i never ever would make music outside or in the bus (i even never would take the bus if not needed) or train etc.
    I need to sit down at home and focus on the music and it must be a simple and fast workflow.
    I mean it took me months or even years to adopt to it as well and now i know how to use the best parts of these.
    If i would make music outside the iPhone is great and i might would prefer an iPad before a notebook for sure too.
    But mobile for me is just taking it from the living room to the bed maybe :)
    Also for the kind of music and sounds i´m after there aren´t just much tools there on iOS.
    I already have multi-touch on my mac as well plus short cuts and the instruments are still just much better for my usage.
    But when developers maybe start in 2019 to port more great iOS apps to mac i would be happy.
    In a perfect world i would like all my tools on all my platforms and devices. While i like the iPhone and iPad for jamming it´s a pain for me to create presets and to fine edit things there.
    Also i wonder why most of these new apps doesn´t really use multi-touch like they should. They are more like desktop GUI`s which you use with your finger.

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.