Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• edited July 2018

@brice said:

@MobileMusic said:

@brice said:
    This update has really ironed out the things I was struggling with in my sound design endeavors. Just spent several hours with SM1—all of which were frustration-free. Must express again my gratitude for @kv331audio_bulent and his dedication to this synth and its users.

Does that mean you are Ok with the drill-down submenus or still want a better navigation? They both have tradeoffs:

• submenus result in more drilling down but have the benefit of shorter lists and less scrolling and the drilling down offers knowledge/education of what item is Analog, Digital, FM, etc.
    • multi-column lists can have the extra columns for information purpose, can be re-sorted but have longer lists and more scrolling

Sniff, sniff... Are you cooking any BB presets for SM1? :smiley:

The fact that the menus will remain on-screen while auditioning the waveforms/tables makes a WORLD of difference, and the sub menus more digestible. It was the repetitive task of opening those sub menus each and every time that I found frustrating. Those frustrations are gone.

Definitely. The kitchen is in full swing. ;)

I like extra Garlic and Rosemary :smile:
    Remember to include some Sax, Flutes, Choir/Vox and Atmospheric sounds.
    I tried shaping some of these but not completely happy with the results. Unfortunately, neither my first name nor my last name nor my username starts with "B" :neutral:

• @MobileMusic said:

@brice said:

@MobileMusic said:

@brice said:
    This update has really ironed out the things I was struggling with in my sound design endeavors. Just spent several hours with SM1—all of which were frustration-free. Must express again my gratitude for @kv331audio_bulent and his dedication to this synth and its users.

Does that mean you are Ok with the drill-down submenus or still want a better navigation? They both have tradeoffs:

• submenus result in more drilling down but have the benefit of shorter lists and less scrolling and the drilling down offers knowledge/education of what item is Analog, Digital, FM, etc.
    • multi-column lists can have the extra columns for information purpose, can be re-sorted but have longer lists and more scrolling

Sniff, sniff... Are you cooking any BB presets for SM1? :smiley:

The fact that the menus will remain on-screen while auditioning the waveforms/tables makes a WORLD of difference, and the sub menus more digestible. It was the repetitive task of opening those sub menus each and every time that I found frustrating. Those frustrations are gone.

Definitely. The kitchen is in full swing. ;)

Remember to include some Sax, Flutes, Choir/Vox and Atmospheric sounds :smile:
    I tried shaping some of these but not completely happy with the results. Unfortunately, neither my first name nor my last name nor my username starts with "B" :neutral:

Yeah! The world has two BB King!

• I can't believe this but I can't find the BPM or how to switch tempos! Wow I knows its gotta be simple, sorry and thanks.

• @oceansinspace said:
    I can't believe this but I can't find the BPM or how to switch tempos! Wow I knows its gotta be simple, sorry and thanks.

In stand alone mode here:

As an AUv3 instance Synthmaster One follow the hosts BPM, like in AUM:

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:
    Maybe posted already but anyone not finding the vibrato > modwheel immediately intuitive to set up might find this video helpful...I did :) 3.30secs for the SM1 part.

@kv331audio_bulent it would be great if the vibrato knob also had the same ‘tap for pop up menu’ as other knobs have... for the ‘revert to default value’ option and quicker routing experimenting :)

@kv331audio_bulent
    Yes, I was following this video yesterday but could not get vibrato to work with all the human dynamics. If you set the Keyboard in GB to Pitch, it renders Vibrato on-demand perfectly on swiping up the keys and we can manually control how much attack, speed, etc. on a per-note basis and record vibrato simultaneously along with performance with both hands and without using the Mod Wheel. For instance, we can vary the Attack and have a different pre-delay per note. But VLFO in SM1 by itself delivers only computerized vibrato with a fixed attack and speed without much dynamics.

I've also tried Settings > Keyboard > Y-Axis > Mod Wheel to setup vibrato on swiping up on keys similar to GB going by the above video but it doesn't work (even though X-Axis Pitch Bend works fine). I guess Y-Axis swipe is not detected due to some glitch. Please make Y-Axis Mod Wheel work or add a new Vibrato item to Y-Axis dropdown list.

Y-Axis > Vibrato - Selecting this new preference should skip/ignore VLFO on normal taps on keys but render vibrato only on-demand on swiping up the keys (can still use the Sync to Tempo parameter) similar to GB. In this case, each key will also function like a Mod Wheel. This allows us to PRECISELY control how much vibrato, speed, etc. to deliver and when to start (attack/pre-delay) and stop with all humanized dynamics and also record vibrato simultaneously during performance with both hands and without using the Mod Wheel. Please see Keyboard > Pitch in GB and how it works PRECISELY.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Dawdles said:
    Maybe posted already but anyone not finding the vibrato > modwheel immediately intuitive to set up might find this video helpful...I did :) 3.30secs for the SM1 part.

@kv331audio_bulent it would be great if the vibrato knob also had the same ‘tap for pop up menu’ as other knobs have... for the ‘revert to default value’ option and quicker routing experimenting :)

@kv331audio_bulent
    Yes, I was following this video yesterday but could not get vibrato to work with all the human dynamics. If you set the Keyboard in GB to Pitch, it renders Vibrato on-demand perfectly on swiping up the keys and we can manually control how much attack, speed, etc. on a per-note basis and record vibrato simultaneously along with performance with both hands and without using the Mod Wheel. For instance, we can vary the Attack and have a different pre-delay per note. But VLFO in SM1 by itself delivers only computerized vibrato with a fixed attack and speed without much dynamics.

I've also tried Settings > Keyboard > Y-Axis > Mod Wheel to setup vibrato on swiping up on keys similar to GB going by the above video but it doesn't work (even though X-Axis Pitch Bend works fine). I guess Y-Axis swipe is not detected due to some glitch. Please make Y-Axis Mod Wheel work or add a new Vibrato item to Y-Axis dropdown list.

Y-Axis > Vibrato - Selecting this new preference should skip/ignore VLFO on normal taps on keys but render vibrato only on-demand on swiping up the keys (can still use the Sync to Tempo parameter) similar to GB. In this case, each key will also function like a Mod Wheel. This allows us to PRECISELY control how much vibrato, speed, etc. to deliver and when to start (attack/pre-delay) and stop with all humanized dynamics and also record vibrato simultaneously during performance with both hands and without using the Mod Wheel. Please see Keyboard > Pitch in GB and how it works PRECISELY.

Was experimenting with this earlier. Confirmed that Y-Axis > Modwheel does not work, so I tried this routing as an alternative. Might be close to what you’re looking to achieve re: a more expressive vibrato.

• edited July 2018

@kv331audio_bulent midi learn cc41 still does not work for me

• @kv331audio_bulent AU at 96khz works now, IAA plays at wrong pitch and crashes.

• edited July 2018

@brice said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Dawdles said:

@kv331audio_bulent

Y-Axis > Vibrato - Selecting this new preference should skip/ignore VLFO on normal taps on keys but render vibrato only on-demand on swiping up the keys (can still use the Sync parameter) similar to GB. In this case, each key will also function like a Mod Wheel. This allows us to PRECISELY control how much vibrato, speed, etc. to deliver and when to start (attack/pre-delay) and stop with all humanized/manual dynamics and also record vibrato simultaneously during performance with both hands and without using the Mod Wheel. Please see Keyboard > Pitch in GB and how it works precisely.

Was experimenting with this earlier. Confirmed that Y-Axis > Modwheel does not work, so I tried this routing as an alternative. Might be close to what you’re looking to achieve re: a more expressive vibrato.

It works (in standalone - Kudos to you!) better than video's approach but not as perfectly as GB. The black keys do not work as much as the white keys (maybe because of their shorter height compared to the longer white ones) until the Speed is increased in which case, it is too fast on white keys and still not enough on black ones. Vibrato doesn't kick in until the finger is swiped all the way to the top. Also, the Settings tab and Keyboard are hidden in AU mode and so all these methods are bummers because the host's keyboard doesn't work with SM1's vibrato :neutral:

@kv331audio_bulent please make the keyboard work with dynamic Vibrato - as how it does precisely in GB which is fun to use and pleasure to play. SM1 has Y-Axis setting already - it just needs to be fixed to make it work on-demand with manual control and dynamics preferably by adding a new Vibrato item to the Y-Axis dropdown or the Modwheel approach. Using Modwheel on a soft keyboard is mostly a hit or miss and it also engages one of our hands but with the new Vibrato Y-Axis item, we could use both hands to play and control pitch mod on the same played keys simultaneously like in GB.

Keyboard mode in AU - Since host apps do not have Y-Axis Vibrato on their keyboards, an option to display and use the SM1's built-in keyboard in AU would be useful to render and record vibrato.

Here are a few more issues and suggestions:
    USING v1.1.1

Switching to another preset in AU is NOT working! Tried switching presets from the Browser and also the AU Presets list on the left provided by Cubasis - it displays the newly selected preset in the top center (CPU/Voices section) but the sound doesn't change to the new preset sound!! It plays the same sound for any selected preset :neutral:

BPM and Browser Search boxes go behind the keyboard while entering their values.

Left align popup Menu Titles as they are getting cut off on right by the Close (X) box due to their current center alignment.

Mod Matrix popup menus should automatically drill-down and highlight the current Source/Via/Target/etc. items on tapping on them to indicate their selection.

Bookmarks (if possible) - this feature will help in choosing presets easily and getting started with a project QUICKLY. While hunting for presets, if we come across something interesting for the current project, we should be able to bookmark it for quick access later. This would be helpful when we have several Favorites and hard to remember which chosen ones to re-audition later for the final list of presets for the project. Bookmarks feature will speed up shortlisting and finalization of presets for a project by re-audition of bookmarked presets and greatly improve workflow and save time! These bookmarked presets should display in a new Bookmarks bank that add another dimension to the Browser. We should be able to add any preset to Bookmarks bank (Favorites as well as non-Favorites). This Bookmarks bank should preferably be saved/persisted and restored across relaunches. Ability to remove presets from Bookmarks bank. Ability to mark/unmark a preset as Favorite in Bookmarks bank.

When used as an AU inside Cubasis, it doesn't display Favorites under AU Presets list on the left provided by Cubasis (except in Browser). Prefix a * to all Favorites presets and the row number to all presets in the AU Preset list - similar to how it is rendered in the Browser list - to keep their display consistent for positional-integrity.

User presets in user banks are not showing in My Presets in Cubasis even though they are showing in Save As dialog and Browser.

User banks are not showing in Cubasis (except in Browser). Showing only Factory and My Presets (empty).

Saving presets in user banks not showing immediately.

New user banks are not shown in Cubasis immediately after creation.

Do not allow to overwrite, edit or delete factory banks and factory presets or their attributes. These should be read-only.

Presets saved in user banks are showing in Factory list at times.

After saving presets in user banks in Cubasis, they are not available/visible.

iCloud backup - Save Favorites and Bookmarks list to iCloud for backup and sync to other devices. On my device, it is showing 498 factory presets (not sure what happened to the other 2 presets). I should be able to re-download the factory presets and after download, their Favorites settings should restore automatically from iCloud.

SM1 CPU is showing less than a 3rd of what Cubasis CPU meter is reading while using SM1 as AU. Cubasis shows the total CPU usage of all apps/tasks across the entire device.

Reset knobs/faders to their default values on double tapping on them to 0/50/etc.

• edited July 2018

Can someone verify and re-confirm this:

Switching to another preset in AU is NOT working! Tried switching presets from the Browser and also the AU Presets list on the left provided by Cubasis - it displays the newly selected preset in the top center (CPU/Voices section) but the sound doesn't change to the new preset sound!! It plays the same sound for any selected preset

• edited July 2018

@MobileMusic said:

Switching to another preset in AU is NOT working! Tried switching presets from the Browser and also the AU Presets list on the left provided by Cubasis - it displays the newly selected preset in the top center (CPU/Voices section) but the sound doesn't change to the new preset sound!! It plays the same sound for any selected preset

But it works sometimes fine. Looks like it is crashing internally due to memory issues on Air and playing the same instrument even after switching to another instrument. CPU showing over 80% in Cubasis and crackling.

• @kv331audio_bulent Not sure what has happened but after previously creating a bank called favourites now it seems that that bank has repopulated with all of the main presets again. The favourites I had chosen are combined with ALL of the presets albeit now with a star. But the problem is it defeats the whole purpose of having made anew bank. It’s now the same list as before and I still have to scroll pages and pages to find what I favourited. How do I get it back to being just a list of favourites with nothing else or justa seperate bank like it was.

• @MobileMusic said:

Just tested with Cubasis and can not reproduce. iPad Pro 10.7 inch.

• edited July 2018

@MobileMusic said:
    User banks are not showing in Cubasis (except in Browser). Showing only Factory and My Presets (empty).

These are expected behaviours! Cubasis has NO idea of SynthMaster's internal preset folders/banks. The "My Presets" it's showing resides in its own folders. I believe @LFS can confirm this ?

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:

These are expected behaviours! Cubasis has NO idea of SynthMaster's internal preset folders/banks. The "My Presets" it's showing resides in its own folders. I believe @LFS can confirm this ?

I tried Saving the current preset in SM1 from within Cubasis under My Presets and it did show up in My Presets. Not sure where this preset is getting stored - Cubasis or SM1 (doesn't show in SM1's Browser).

Under Factory Presets in Cubasis, maybe you could populate the list by prefixing the favourited presets with a * and the row number for all items for a consistent display so we know which is favorite and which isn't (while not using SM1's Browser inside Cubasis).

As for the SM1 Effect that gets installed in desktop version I questioned before, I see SM1 FX when I tap Insert Effect in Cubasis under Audio Units that adds SM1 synth as an effect on the track.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    @kv331audio_bulent midi learn cc41 still does not work for me

Can anyone in the forum check if they have issue with assigning cc41 to a parameter via midi learn please?

• @MobileMusic said:
    Under Factory Presets in Cubasis, maybe you could populate the list by prefixing the favourited presets with a * and the row number for all items for a consistent display so we know which is favorite and which isn't (while not using SM1's Browser inside Cubasis).

I can do that, BUT, Cubasis or any other DAW reads the factory presets when the plugin initializes, and this happens once. Any changes made to favourites will not get recognized until next initialization.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Can anyone in the forum check if they have issue with assigning cc41 to a parameter via midi learn please?

FYI: SM1 doesn't treat CC41 in any special way. We're equal to all CCs :smiley:

• edited July 2018

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Can anuyone in the forum check if they have issue with assigning cc41 to a parameter via midi learn please?

FYI: SM1 doesn't treat CC41 in any special way. We're equal to all CCs :smiley:

Yep we are and you are a true champ for making such an incredible creation! However... cc41 does not work for me whereas all the other little midi cc’s do. I’m using a novation launch control and SM1 recognizes cc41as a number but when I turn the knob that parameter does not move. I tested this on many other apps and there is no problem. Please help 😱

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:

I can do that, BUT, Cubasis or any other DAW reads the factory presets when the plugin initializes, and this happens once. Any changes made to favourites will not get recognized until next initialization.

EEEEWWW! That's seems like a flawed design from Apple :neutral: Apparently, they store the list in memory which means the resident list consumes memory. They could read the presets just-in-time for freshness. Since Apple also offers GB app and introduced IAA, they should have known better. It may still be fixable by Apple to make it better.

But for now, it is ok for SM1 to prefix the presets in the list with row numbers and a * for favorited items - even if the list becomes stale after sometime. Something is better than nothing.

Plugin initialization is when the DAW starts or when the AU starts or when iPad starts?

• edited July 2018

Me really liketh this patch on synthmaster one https://www.instagram.com/tv/Bk7_5ovH5Wi
    Gonna keep exploring

• @MobileMusic said:
    EEEEWWW! That's seems like a flawed design from Apple :neutral: Apparently, they store the list in memory which means the resident list consumes memory. They could read the presets just-in-time for freshness. Since Apple also offers GB app and introduced IAA, they should have known better. It may still be fixable by Apple to make it better.

But for now, it is ok for SM1 to prefix the presets in the list with row numbers and a * for favorited items - even if the list becomes stale after sometime. Something is better than nothing.

Plugin initialization is when the DAW starts or when the AU starts or when iPad starts?

When the first instance of the plugin is instantiated.

For presets I'd recommend using the preset browser inside the plugin, NOT DAWs browser.

• ok I skimmed the thread but didn't see answers, so apologies if these questions have been asked already:

1. is Program Change and Bank Select possible via midi? I'm getting nothing and for live use, no PC is a dealbreaker for me.

2. any way to delete presets/banks? I find the browser to be too convoluted and really wish I could slim down the Type and Style categories and get rid of presets I'll never use - the list is so long and it gets a bit bogged down with too many options.

• @kv331audio_bulent I finally struck a vibe with SM1 and the proverbial floodgates have opened. I’ve made 42 presets over the past two days; 26 of them I am 100% captivated and inspired by. That ratio is incredibly high in my book, so I’m gonna be a pain in the ass once more with the hopes that some of the bugs I’ve encountered might be addressed. There are several...not “wishlist” items, but existing functionality that is consistently breaking on this end. Prefer I email you via your site, or communicate these issues here?

• @palm said:
    ok I skimmed the thread but didn't see answers, so apologies if these questions have been asked already:

1. is Program Change and Bank Select possible via midi? I'm getting nothing and for live use, no PC is a dealbreaker for me.

2. any way to delete presets/banks? I find the browser to be too convoluted and really wish I could slim down the Type and Style categories and get rid of presets I'll never use - the list is so long and it gets a bit bogged down with too many options.

anybody?

• Is there any word on fixing the loading issues in Cubasis and BM3 or is this something the hosts need to fix? i can build up a project in Cubasis with six instances of Synthmaster One, work for thirty minutes or so without any problems, CPU hovering around 70% or so the whole time but when I reload the project all the instances fail... Am I to learn the Garageband now?

• @AudioGus said:
    Is there any word on fixing the loading issues in Cubasis and BM3 or is this something the hosts need to fix? i can build up a project in Cubasis with six instances of Synthmaster One, work for thirty minutes or so without any problems, CPU hovering around 70% or so the whole time but when I reload the project all the instances fail... Am I to learn the Garageband now?

Are you able to freeze / export any of those instances in Cubasis?

This discussion has been closed.