Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will Cubasis ever get bus/aux channels

Even the cheaper iOS DAWs have this

Comments

• It will,but in time. I guess the architecture would need recoding big time but hopefully it’s on the roadmap with the Devs.

• No doubt it will happen. Sometime.

• edited July 2018

Hmmm

• I'm pretty sure there is an AUX send in Cubasis since a few releases back. Just no busses yet.

• AUX sends in Cubasis:

Once you add an effect in there it is available globally on every channel, just tap the blue on/off button to activate on a channel and adjust the send level:

• DAW NEWBIE ASKS: What are these buses typically used for in a hardware mixing board? Shared access to expensive Effects processors? I've seen busses but never knew when to use one and never had more effects than a single "effects send" loop couldn't handle.

What are the busses used for?

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

One simple example is for drums: You might want to have a separate channel for each of the kick, snare, hats, etc, each with its own FX chain and fader. Then you could send the whole drum mix into a bus for overall compression and EQ, and so that you can easily bring the whole drum sub-mix up or down in the overall mix with just one fader.

There are lots of other uses. That’s just an example of one frequent use.

• I used busses a lot when stacking background vocals / harmonies. Up to 16 discreet tracks would be panned alternatively left and right then all of these summed to a single bus with a single EQ / Compressor...then this bus would feed the master bus.

But I’ll think BGVs are played out now.

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

Indeed. For my vocal tracks, I like to double or triple track each to its own channel, then pan each a little, eq and compress separately, sometimes nudge each a few ms back or forward in the timeline, and apply just a little bit of warmer or distortion. Then route exclusively to a bus, add a little chorus, reverb, and final compression.

Then I mute the bus channel. This has done wonders for my vocals.

• @McDtracy said:
    DAW NEWBIE ASKS: What are these buses typically used for in a hardware mixing board? Shared access to expensive Effects processors? I've seen busses but never knew when to use one and never had more effects than a single "effects send" loop couldn't handle.

What are the busses used for?

I generally have one group bus for the drums, one for the music, and one for the vocals - that way you can balance the main parts of your mix with just three or four faders. Generally when mixing anything with vocals the main things you have to juggle are those 3 aspects of the mix against each other.

• edited July 2018

Really helpful examples and insights here. Makes me wonder how I might solve some of these problems with Cubasis 2.5 as is.

@wim said:
    One simple example is for drums

@richardyot said:
    [bus for] drums, one for the music, and one for the vocals - that way you can balance the main parts of your mix with just three or four faders.

@wim said:
    Indeed. For my vocal tracks, I like to double or triple track each to its own channel, then pan each a little, eq and compress separately, sometimes nudge each a few ms back or forward in the timeline, and apply just a little bit of warmer or distortion. Then route exclusively to a bus, add a little chorus, reverb, and final compression.

@realdawei said:

Thanks!

• @wim said:

:p

• edited July 2018

@McDtracy said:
    Really helpful examples and insights here. Makes me wonder how I might solve some of these problems with Cubasis 2.5 as is.

@wim said:
    One simple example is for drums

@richardyot said:
    [bus for] drums, one for the music, and one for the vocals - that way you can balance the main parts of your mix with just three or four faders.

@wim said:

@realdawei said:

Thanks!

The only real way of doing it for now, if you want to stay in Cubasis, is to perform a mixdown of the tracks you want on a bus and then add that audio onto a track of its own. This isn’t ideal as in order to adjust the individual tracks you have to make an adjustment and then redo the mixdown, BUT doing this you cannot hear whatever FX you are adding on the ‘virtual bus’

• Aux Send into Effects then back into a separate channel is critically important for doing analogue Reggae "Dub" type mixes.

You send to Fx, then back to channel that has Send to FX on it - in this way you can build up big reverb washes of Delay feedback with a simple push of the fader. This also lets you EQ the FX return, etc. Pretty much the whole genre depends on it.

I really like Cubasis, I hope they can add this possibility at some time.

Aurio Pro is insufficient has well - you have Aux Sends, but they come back to dedicated FX buss - I haven't been able to figure out how to go back to an actual channel, or set up the feedback-type of thing.

• I would happily pay to have more mixer functionality, improved sampler etc 👍🏻

• @roygbiv said:
    Aurio Pro is insufficient has well - you have Aux Sends, but they come back to dedicated FX buss - I haven't been able to figure out how to go back to an actual channel, or set up the feedback-type of thing.

Have you tried creating a new stereo channel, setting it's input to AUX 1, and it's output to Bus 1 and then creating a second channel with Bus 1 as its input? Sounds like it should work.

• @richardyot said:

@wim said:

:p

I feel so dumb, I was lost for a hot second there 😂

• @richardyot said:

@roygbiv said:

Have you tried creating a new stereo channel, setting it's input to AUX 1, and it's output to Bus 1 and then creating a second channel with Bus 1 as its input? Sounds like it should work.

Like this, you can move the highlighted fader to get a wash of delay:

• Auria is incredible regards to busses, because you can daisy chain them indefinitely while at same time sendind to different auxes. I would say it pretty much rendered subgroups obsolete, wasn't it for the channel strip of the subgroups

• @richardyot said:

@richardyot said:

@roygbiv said:

Hi Richard
    Hmm, I didn't know you could do that, I haven't t tried it - I will - thanks!

• edited July 2018

@McDtracy ; Thanks. I didn’t have the guts to ask !!

• edited July 2018

I was just using Cubasis today. The lack of bus channels and routing options is a major downside. I was using the Classic Machines IAP and added some FX to tweak the timbre since the kits are either bone dry or swamped in FX. I made sure to duplicate the track so I could have a backup and A/B the freeze render to the midi track.

Sure enough, the frozen track sounds different to the original. The timing's a little off like it didn't delay compensate in the render and the gain is way hotter so the compression effect sounds different. I tried to re-freeze without the FX and add the same FX post-render and it still sounds different. I guess that's a bug in the freeze function. If Cubasis had more flexible routing, I would have just bounced the audio from the midi track to a new audio track in real time, but alas you can't...no busses or track-to-track routing.

I guess I could solo the instrument track, export the loop into something like audiocopy, paste it into the media bay, and drag it back into the project, but that's seems like a lot of extra work that shouldn't be necessary.

• You know, I love how clean the Cubasis interface is. It really feels like an iPad DAW should feel (apart from the AU viewport crammed into the bottom of the screen which is just a weird design choice IMO). But the lack of busses and audio routing is a huge handicap for a “pro” DAW. And don’t get me started on the lack of MIDI randomize/humanize and other advanced functions that have been in Auria for ages. It’s cool for a scratchpad, but if I’m honest this is actually one of the few purchases I regret.

• @roygbiv said:

@richardyot said:

@richardyot said:

@roygbiv said:

Hi Richard

Is this a real screen shot? Because I can't get any tracks to allow Input:A1 and Output:Bus1 (or any Bus)

I.e., while I can put a Bus or Auxiliary on the input, Aurio won't let me put a Bus on the output - just doesn't take it. And that is after I've even make one track a Bus. Puzzling

• edited July 2018

Auria Pro. I’m not sure if the bare-bones, audio-only simplified version of the app and which goes only by “Auria” (without the “Pro”) allow for it. Make sure you have Auria Pro, not just Auria.

Another thing, the Auxes can be only inputs (since they are sends). But the busses work exactly as per @richardyot’s screen shot. Do the following:

• Create a track
    • Leave its input as is (or put A1 as input) and its output as Bus 1
    • Create another track
    • Put its input as Bus 1 and its output as Bus 2
    • Create another track
    • Put its input as Bus 2 and its output as Bus3
    • Etc etc etc

If you cannot follow the routine above, either 1) you don’t have Auria Pro or 2) something is wrong with your installation.

• Cubasis does have busses, if you have AUM.

• @CracklePot said:
    Cubasis does have busses, if you have AUM.

I need to learn how to set that up properly 😉

• @roygbiv said:

@roygbiv said:

@richardyot said:

@richardyot said:

@roygbiv said:

Hi Richard

Is this a real screen shot? Because I can't get any tracks to allow Input:A1 and Output:Bus1 (or any Bus)

I.e., while I can put a Bus or Auxiliary on the input, Aurio won't let me put a Bus on the output - just doesn't take it. And that is after I've even make one track a Bus. Puzzling

It is a real screenshot - the catch is that you have to set the output first, then set the input. Not sure if that's a bug or a way of preventing you from creating feedback/infinite loop.

• edited July 2018

@CracklePot I still haven’t figured out how to get buses with Cubasis and AUM. Can you explain?

• @Nu2moro said:

@CracklePot said:
    Cubasis does have busses, if you have AUM.

I need to learn how to set that up properly 😉

Another thing that I have been checking out is using the track duplicate feature in Cubasis. Busses are essentially a means of tapping or splitting the audio path of a track. This creates a second, separate path. Duplicating your track is basically the same thing, just sort of messier, and harder on the resources.