Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano World Cup, Group B (resolved)

tjatja
edited July 2018 in General App Discussion

In continuation of https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26407/the-piano-poll-part-2-with-new-samples
there seems to be a need to reduce the sheer amount of samples.

You can find Group A with results here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27032/piano-world-cup-group-a-resolved

So, this is“Group B“ of Piano Samples:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uc7w7u5e4sxpb8a/AAB783iTCbE3pBhwy5dq2-jPa?dl=0
or
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uc7w7u5e4sxpb8a/AAB783iTCbE3pBhwy5dq2-jPa?dl=1

The Poll:

https://doodle.com/poll/hghrv6735yhm74sf

You can vote for just the best Sample from the group of 4, or the best 2 or 3 if you cannot decide.
But please do not vote for all 4 of them.

I decided to make this poll invisible for now, so you cannot be distracted by other people‘s votes.

If you hear problems like missing notes or crackles, i can only assume that this is a problem of the given App! It may need special handling to get better results, but this cannot be done in this competition.
An App that cannot easily be used to produce Audio from MIDI is just less capable in a production environment -> a problem of the given App!

Comments

• Some with very different characters in this group. I have voted, and the World Cup format is fun!

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

You can also find the above 4 samples on SoundCloud:

Please visit the page itself, as the link will just play all 41 samples :smiley:

• Voted! 🎹

• This is really fun!

• Hehehe :blush:

• 5 people, so far

• Yep, 8 people now.

Going to give out results in short time.

• Winners for the knock-out rounds:

Piano 08: 6 votes
    Piano 25: 5 votes

The winners stay anonymous for now.

Loosers:

Piano 03: 1 vote
    Piano 16: 0 votes!

The loosers were:

• It seems, the forum members can easily find those Apps that have a better quality.

I’m quite curious about the knock-out rounds later ;)

Now preparing Group C

• Didn't look at the results before listening or making this post.

18 is the most different piano I have ever heard. I hear every string on every note and there is a Strat-like guitar brightness I can remember hearing from a Piano before. Also, like 16 in group A, it has more detail especially in the high range. Its #1 by 5 length, 25 was my big loser as soon as I heard the first couple of notes. 3 & 8 were close, but 3 sounded a bit thinner than 8 so I chose 8 as my #2.

• Again I ask, what is everyone finding wrong with my favorites? Maybe I am just clueless on Piano tones.

• Yes, 16 and 18 also show the most frequencies in a spectral analysis.

Your statement about 25 is very interesting.

Did you add your votes to the Doodle pages?
    Please do so!

Thanks

• edited July 2018

@BigDawgsByte said:
    Again I ask, what is everyone finding wrong with my favorites? Maybe I am just clueless on Piano tones.

I guess this is a matter of personal taste, there’s nothing wrong with your choices.
    For me 18 sounds unnatural, kind of a tack piano to my ears, although it’s very bright and you can hear almost every detail. I could perfectly use it for some pop music, but it’s not what I expect from an acoustic piano for jazz or classical music.
    I understand your comment about 25, it was my first reaction due to a poliphony issue with a repetitive A note at the beggining, but if you can manage to ignore that for a moment you’ll find that it sounds really good in almost every aspect.
    Regarding 16 my comment would be the same as 18, it sounds really good, but it’s clearly not an acoustic piano, or at least it’s not what I expect from an acoustic piano. It’t too bright for me, and the lows are overemphasized too. Aditionally, both 16 and 18 lack natural resonance, something you will definitely find in any acoustic piano. That can be clearly noted around 00:35 in those staccato chords, they sound artificial compared to other pianos.
    Again, this is just my personal taste, nothing wrong with your selection.

• @tja said:
    Yes, 16 and 18 also show the most frequencies in a spectral analysis.

Your statement about 25 is very interesting.

Did you add your votes to the Doodle pages?
    Please do so!

Thanks

Done.

• @Rodolfo said:

@BigDawgsByte said:
    Again I ask, what is everyone finding wrong with my favorites? Maybe I am just clueless on Piano tones.

I guess this is a matter of personal taste, there’s nothing wrong with your choices.
    For me 18 sounds unnatural, kind of a tack piano to my ears, although it’s very bright and you can hear almost every detail. I could perfectly use it for some pop music, but it’s not what I expect from an acoustic piano for jazz or classical music.
    I understand your comment about 25, it was my first reaction due to a poliphony issue with a repetitive A note at the beggining, but if you can manage to ignore that for a moment you’ll find that it sounds really good in almost every aspect.
    Regarding 16 my comment would be the same as 18, it sounds really good, but it’s clearly not an acoustic piano, or at least it’s not what I expect from an acoustic piano. It’t too bright for me, and the lows are overemphasized too. Aditionally, both 16 and 18 lack natural resonance, something you will definitely find in any acoustic piano. That can be clearly noted around 00:35 in those staccato chords, they sound artificial compared to other pianos.
    Again, this is just my personal taste, nothing wrong with your selection.

All excellent points and I agree that #25 is a fine sounding piano! My guess/prediction is that its polyphony can be adjusted for CPU? We’ll find out soon enough from @tja

@BigDawgsByte I’m curious to know your criteria for judging and how you are monitoring. Headphones/Monitors/Internal speakers?