Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• SampleTank has really taken a PR beating on this forum and it breaks my heart.

SampleTank is the Apple-II of virtual instrument plug-ins created in 2001. After 17 years it's still a relevant and effective music making tool for Desktop and IOS users. Many have copied their approach for a realtime DJ ready music creation tools.

Would computing be the same without the Apple-II making it a consumer product at a price families could afford?

We wouldn't have the current crop of music tools we have without SampleTank proving the viability of emulating instruments on a cell phone.

At $10 for the product and $20 for the Miroslav Philharmonic 2 product (which includes all the sounds of MP1 by the way) you have a workable orchestra product for $30. Nothing else comes close to the complete list of instruments.

Does it support AU? No.

Does it have multi-gigabyte sample libraries? No. My iPad 2 w 12GB total thanks you for that. It still works there along with iGrand, iLectric Piano, etc.

These guys (started by 2 guys in Modena, Italy) compete with Korg and other music behemoths to solve problems musicians have and deserve some respect on this forum for their contributions to the IOS platform and marketplace.

If you think this product has had it's day you might not be using a refurb'ed iPad 2 or iPod running IOS 9 as your only options to participate due to money.

I'm going to keep this on the front page and encourage everyone to show these folks the respect they deserve as pioneers of the platform we all dearly love because it makes technology affordable and frankly pretty damn cool too.

PS - Syntronik kiss ass for those that really don't want to tweak knobs but just dial-up amazing sounds for their projects. It's $10 (with IAP's).

Hey, IK Multimedia, did you guys invent IAP's? You know they're like crack right?

NOTE: If I got any of this wrong, I apologize in advance. Ryan, I know it's a big job putting out the fires here.

• The “beating” is for the extensive use of ads and nagging dialog boxes not only in their free products - which would be more than fair - but in full priced products as well. This is no good practice and has to stop. Period.

• Good feedback for a vendor but that's actually not the beating I was thinking of.

• As far as the bundles, do they overlap?

Whats the difference between Sample Tank Extended and Sample Tank Pro? if I got Pro would Extended be useless?

Can you confirm what @McDtracy says about the Miroslav packs. I wouldn't want to buy MP1 and then buy MP2 to just realize that it also contained MP1 sounds.

I do like that they have smaller sound packs for cheaper prices but the bundled packs could be a little more clear as to what they include. I wouldn't want to buy packs that overlap.

@ikmultimedia Wanna send the Dabbler some IAP codes, maybe do a few demos? Just saying. I do have the non free version.

• @gmslayton said:

Can you confirm what @McDtracy says about the Miroslav packs. I wouldn't want to buy MP1 and then buy MP2 to just realize that it also contained MP1 sounds.

Moroslav 2 (iOS version) definitely does NOT include the Miroslav 1 pack.

• Seems IKM always finds a way to piss me off, SMH. I noticed that in the the iOS CS (free) version the Sample Tank Pro IAP is on sale for $24.99 while in my fully paid for version of SampleTank its still $29.99.

• CORRECTION: The MP2 IAP does not include the MP1 instruments.

I researched this question before buying and found a review that stated:

"Philharmonik 2 retains all of v1's sample content and adds a whole new orchestral sample set." - MusicRadar

That review was for the Desktop product. So, I'd need to spend $12 to get MP1 added and maybe $12 more for each of the 2 Percussion IAP's.

• edited July 2018

@BigDawgsByte said:
    Seems IKM always finds a way to piss me off, SMH. I noticed that in the the iOS CS (free) version the Sample Tank Pro IAP is on sale for $24.99 while in my fully paid for version of SampleTank its still $29.99.

That pricing must be an error as it is normally $49.99 (not $29.99) and it is in this SampleTank celebration going on. There was no nefarious intent at all, I'll look into it and that they IAP is the correct promotional price on each. It is noted at the link that the pricing should be $24.99 in both.

Edit - just checked and it appears at $24.99 in both versions. Please check again and if you still see $29.99 in the paid version of SampleTank give IK Support a shout at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/ios-apps/

*also note this is USD, which is the only price we change and then the other currency "tiers" are calculated by Apple automatically.

• I love Sampletank and the IAPs are so worth it! My favorites is the Miroslav and all Sounds pack!
    I use the Electric guitar Strat for my iPad electric guitar sounds!

• Picked up SampleTank (had the free version)... wow, only had time to mess with the basses.. and wow.. definitely will be getting the additional bass pack .... and some others.. Very Impressive...

AU please..😎

• Got to say, with these quality instruments available today on iOS and the ability to record ‘loops’ (audio) in AUM quite nicely.. and iCloud, Dropbox to get my stuff back to desktop (Maschine handles audio quite nicely) efficiently.. Midi seems to be getting less important.. and besides, one seem to have more control over these instruments (automation, etc.) features than on desktop..

Anyway, SampleTank is sweet..

• Hmm, seems I bought this in the past but didn't really use it, currently reinstalling to give it another shot.

I have a dream of one day being able to create cinematic soundtracks and this seems useful.
    Can anyone give thoughts on the Miroslav sounds vs iSymphonic?
    I bought iSymphonic then realized it too had a bunch of IAP that didn't come with it which was kind of disappointing, thought more would be included. MP seems to have a pretty big selection and the demos sound nice.
    Just checked and iSymphonic only comes with 25 sounds, MP comes with 140

Also wondering if the iPad is suited to that kind of music at all and maybe should be using a desktop but then things get really expensive.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I love Sampletank and the IAPs are so worth it! My favorites is the Miroslav and all Sounds pack!
    I use the Electric guitar Strat for my iPad electric guitar sounds!

That strat is the bidness. I wouldn’t mind that as separate AU all by itself

• @1nsomniak said:
    Can anyone give thoughts on the Miroslav sounds vs iSymphonic?
    Just checked and iSymphonic only comes with 25 sounds, MP comes with 140

I'm trying to render a MIDI file of a Beethoven Symphony. I got something reasonable with the default sounds in Cubasis 2.5. Cubasis imported the file and just played it correctly with the right sample assignments per track. I didn't realize at the time what a "gift" this is.
    I'm going to have to do a lot of work to assign tracks to the right samples with other product involved: Point a MIDI Track at an IAA product and freeze the result to a Cubasis audio track and repeat through all 16 tracks of the file... some tracks use Program changes so that needs to be managed too. Arg.

To compose for and orchestra I'd be happy with that capability (still on sale I think).

Then I wondered if I could get closer to something sounding like a CD of an actual Symphony. I added iSymphonic on the most prominent MIDI track. Huge improvement.

The I wondered what would happen if I loaded the MIDI file inside the iSymphonic sequencer. It loaded and used the instruments I have bought and sounded gorgeous.
    So, I broke down and started buying more instruments to finish the effect. It took
    $36 to finish it. Sounds truly amazing. I don't have a recording yet. The samples are so large
    I suspect I won't be able to record the result and have enough RAM to play the MIDI file.

I also looked into using BS-16i and using better General MIDI sound Libraries to render the MIDI file. That worked really well too. My favorite SoundFont for this effort is Don Allen's Timbres of Heaven SoundFont. Really good... BS-16i for $8 and a free Orchestra with all the parts.

So, this thread is about SampleTank. I can play the MIDI file with BS-16i or Xequence and
    point the MIDI events at SampleTank. It doesn't have a MIDI file player... other solutions do.
    I think it only exposes 8 MIDI tracks but it might be 16. Anyway, I'd like to point the Beethoven at SampleTank and compare the sound to BS-16i (with the various default Libraries or the three free SF2 SoundFonts I have) and then compare the results and benefits of SampleTank against iSymphonic which likely only runs this test on my 2018 iPad 9.7" with 2GB of RAM. I could test the SampleTank exercise on an iPad 2 (512MB) or my iPhone 5S (1GB).

Anyway, I have some recording made so far and each has been an improvement over the last.

BOTTOM LINE: If money is not a barrier do this on a Desktop system and get a lot of RAM
    and a wonderful Library. But if money is an issue and you're stuck on a specific IOS platform use the clues here and invest accordingly.

maybe should be using a desktop but then things get really expensive.

You might find a path here too that's less than $100 for the software.

The answer to most technical questions of any interest is always "It depends." Followed by a lot of qualifying questions. Quick answers are often just opinions that may not apply.

• @McDtracy thanks for the info, turns outI can't get in on the sale for now anyways as my iPad 4 is crashing when I try to download the app (although I had it on there before) and my Air 2 screen is currently smashed.

bs016i looks interesting, havent looked at it before. I imagine theres a million soundfonts out there.

• @1nsomniak You need to speak to @Kühl . Check out the stuff he has on his SoundCloud. It sounds fantastic, but make sure he used an iPad. If he in fact did, you should be somewhat inspired by his results.

• There are way too many bad soundfonts but it has DIY roots.

SoundFonts are pretty old tech so be advise you'll end up on some websites that look like the early 2000's. But the largest SoundFonts I could find have handcrafted Sample Sets using PolyPhone on a desktop. They can sound pretty damn good and if there's something you want to swap out... PolyPhone can add/delete specific samples in the General MIDI Library. Old school tech that keeps providing value.

You would be surprized how many current products can import soundfonts. I'm looking into that since I bought a ton of sample-based synths with Gadget, etc.

BS-16i gives that whole a new generation of users for $8. NOTE: They have IAP's to upgrade the polyphony from 64 to 128 voices and increase the quality of the sound engine. The SoundFont4u pianos sound so damn good (after maying big bucks for some other great pianos) I bought all their IAP's just out of gratitude that a budget minded (i.e. kid without a job) could have this capability for $8. Highly underrated product based upon the older paradigm of SoundFont audio cards like GUS (Gravis UltraSound). (How 'bout MOD players?) I digress.

MIDI stills makes a lot of what we do work. MPE MIDI points towards a future that leverages "Standards" as critical to interconnecting products.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@BigDawgsByte said:
    Seems IKM always finds a way to piss me off, SMH. I noticed that in the the iOS CS (free) version the Sample Tank Pro IAP is on sale for $24.99 while in my fully paid for version of SampleTank its still $29.99.

That pricing must be an error as it is normally $49.99 (not $29.99) and it is in this SampleTank celebration going on. There was no nefarious intent at all, I'll look into it and that they IAP is the correct promotional price on each. It is noted at the link that the pricing should be $24.99 in both.

Edit - just checked and it appears at $24.99 in both versions. Please check again and if you still see $29.99 in the paid version of SampleTank give IK Support a shout at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/ios-apps/

*also note this is USD, which is the only price we change and then the other currency "tiers" are calculated by Apple automatically.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I checked when I posted my original post above and it was still $29.99, but I may have had the app in memory for a while, days weeks, ?, don't know. I just killed it and reloaded it just now and it was $24.99 so I went ahead and purchased it. Thanks again!

• @BigDawgsByte said:

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I checked when I posted my original post above and it was still $29.99, but I may have had the app in memory for a while, days weeks, ?, don't know. I just killed it and reloaded it just now and it was $24.99 so I went ahead and purchased it. Thanks again!

I was both hoping that was and was not the issue :smile: Seriously, though, I'm glad it worked out and didn't appear to be an issue on the app side but I knew if it was it would be a fun ride trying to get it resolved. Soetimes iTunes Connect / App Store issues are a bit harder to resolve as they aren't technically on our store.

• @CracklePot said:
    @1nsomniak You need to speak to @Kühl . Check out the stuff he has on his SoundCloud. It sounds fantastic, but make sure he used an iPad. If he in fact did, you should be somewhat inspired by his results.

He really did. The last Pro 12,9

• @Kühl said:

@CracklePot said:
    @1nsomniak You need to speak to @Kühl . Check out the stuff he has on his SoundCloud. It sounds fantastic, but make sure he used an iPad. If he in fact did, you should be somewhat inspired by his results.

He really did. The last Pro 12,9

:)

• edited July 2018

@ikmultimedia : I saw an announcement last year that au3 was coming to Sampletank. Have you abandoned the idea?

• @ikmultimedia also wondering about auv3. Not willing to invest $$ in something that’s not future proofed.

• @Telstar5 said:
    @ikmultimedia : I saw an announcement last year that au3 was coming to Sampletank. Have you abandoned the idea?

We have not abandoned the idea, I do not have specific news of a date for AU support though at this time.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@Telstar5 said:

We have not abandoned the idea, I do not have specific news of a date for AU support though at this time.

Very sad news. You guys were pioneers in IOS apps, but now all your apps (except Syntronik, which is very good) are well behind the times, and very expensive in comparison with other top notch quality apps. I believe that nowadays very few people will invest money in an app not supporting AUv3.
    I would appreciate very much if you could transmit this message to the decision makers at IK Multimedia. Thanks.