Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Basic routing?

Greetings,
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a video (or something) that explains how to use Cubasis 2.5, AUM and Audiobus 3 with midi and audio being recorded/captured in Cubasis. I’d like to capture the midi output from Fugue Machine, Quincy, Wotja 2018, etc. routing onto separate midi tracks in Cubasis 2.5 using my Moog and Arturia synths a sound sources for the incoming midi. I’d also like to capture the audio created by apps like SOLO, Wotja, etc. and record them on audio tracks in Cubasis. I know I need AUM and Audiobus to do this, but i’m unclear how this all ties together. Help please!

Comments

• Well you can only route out to cubasis from ab 3 , even if you use AUM you have to route AUM outs to ab to get it to cubasis..
    I typically just capture the audio from stuff routed to cubasis in cubasis.... I'm sure there is some magic way up capture the midi data as well but I can't say, I don't really mess with midi I prefer to work with audio...

It's annoying in cubasis to me that if you record midi info you can't track it to an audio channel and record the audio from within, you gotta route it out to loopy or some other daw, at least from my experience... Hopeful that im wrong and it is possible....

bm3 let's you capture audio and midi all at the same time...so that's maybe better fit for you

• But you can out to cubasis on each channel with in AUM and Ab3...
    So you can multi track record for sure

• Well, i’m Working on my ipad away from my studio, so no cubase (which bugs b=me because no key commands in cubasis! It’s kind of messing up my workflow a bit)
    Anyway, so set up apps in AB3, then route into AUM, then open cubasis and find all your sounds and load them in the correct tracks? If that is the case, what is the output in AB3 on a midi track? And audio track? AUM? And then what to do in AUM?
    Thanks in advance. I’m sure this is basic, so if there is a ‘how to’ resource out there, please point me in that direction!

• AB3 midi output slot receives the midi, but doesn’t output it unless you put a midi forwarding app in the midi output slot. Something like MidiFlow Adapter. If a synth is in the output, it outputs audio, and also auto loads into an AB3 audio track input. You would need to route the output of this audio track to Cubasis.

I don’t advise running Cubasis in the Audiobus Midi output slot, since Audiobus sort of takes over the Midi setup in Cubasis and you lose some direct control over it. But it works fine, I just prefer to not do that.

• Thanks CracklePot.
    So how would your route everything? I’m not sure what to put in the midi slot in AB3 and what to put in the audio slot, then open AUM and that output in AUM is cubasis?
    Or the instruments that you want to capture their midi output open on a midi ‘track’ (not sure what to call it) in both AB3 and AUM? And the instruments that you want to capture their output, open on an audio ‘track in AB3 and AUM?
    But what if you want to use Wotja (generative synthesis) and you want to assign a different sound than what WOTJA is outputting inside cubasis? Would you route it as midi, and then assign antoher midi instrument from the AUM in cubasis? Still unclear.
    Anyone out there know how to set all this up? Or where i can look that explains this? Thanks!!

• @DrPrimo said:
    Thanks CracklePot.
    So how would your route everything? I’m not sure what to put in the midi slot in AB3 and what to put in the audio slot, then open AUM and that output in AUM is cubasis?
    Or the instruments that you want to capture their midi output open on a midi ‘track’ (not sure what to call it) in both AB3 and AUM? And the instruments that you want to capture their output, open on an audio ‘track in AB3 and AUM?
    But what if you want to use Wotja (generative synthesis) and you want to assign a different sound than what WOTJA is outputting inside cubasis? Would you route it as midi, and then assign antoher midi instrument from the AUM in cubasis? Still unclear.
    Anyone out there know how to set all this up? Or where i can look that explains this? Thanks!!

The thing is, you do not have to route through and use AB3 or AUM to get things (audio or midi) into Cubasis to record it. Cubasis can actually receive Midi input directly from most apps, as well as host AU and IAA apps directly within. So first, I would strongly suggest that you take the simplest path to achieve your goals. Don’t over-complicate your routing, and only use apps if necessary. This will keep your iPad happy, hopefully. And it will make your overall experience much less frustrating.

Cubasis can host IAA instruments and AU instruments on its midi tracks. It can also host IAA generators on its audio tracks. IAA and AU instruments receive midi from the input port in the routing section for its Cubasis track. They generate audio in real-time, so to save or record the audio, you must freeze the midi track or actually record the audio output to a separate audio track.
    IAA generators only output audio, so they load on audio tracks and can be recorded directly by arming the tracks in Cubasis and recording them. They can also receive midi, depending on the app, but since they are IAA, the midi routing needs to be setup in the apps interface. This will involve an app sending midi to the IAA generator app directly, and usually not involve Cubasis, unless Cubasis is the app sending the midi out to the IAA generator app.

The use of AUM and Audiobus3 greatly extend what is possible with routing audio and midi in, out, and around iOS. There should be plenty of videos on YouTube demonstrating various routing scenarios, but I can’t think of any specific ones offhand. If you need some recommendations for good YouTube channels I can give you some. I am sure there are even more than I am aware of.

I think if you start with just routing things into Cubasis and using Cubasis’s own hosting capabilities, then how, why, and when you should integrate AUM and AB3 into the pipeline will be much easier to understand. Trying to figure out all 3 at once can leave you feeling lost in the woods.

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

Yes, i think it is a good idea to start solely in Cubasis.

I often add AudioBus, when i need the AudioBus sidebar to control Apps or in general, to save my setup.
    AudioBus also adds an easy and fast way to save and share your presets!

Adding AUM to this allows to route MIDI in more ways than AudioBus allows for.

A basic setup could be this:

Audiobus preset: http://preset.audiob.us/aR0M86yFXzIlN4T

Here, i just routed MIDI from MidiSteps to both Synth One and AUM.
    And in AUM, i added Cubasis and routed the MIDI to Cubasis.

And yes, this is confusing, as you have so many ways / locations to add Apps to.
    I preferred to add IAA Apps to AudioBus and AU Apps to AUM, but i think you can get far with Cubasis alone!

P.S. Wotja 2018 cannot be added to the AudioBus MIDI lanes, but as written, this may be possible with Apps like MIDI Flow Adapter or others.

• Ah... thanks! Super confusing for sure. I’m wondering what you can do Midi wise in AUM that you can’t do in audiobus?

• And thanks CracklePot ! That was very helpful. I think my only thing now is getting cubasis to capture Wotja’s midi generator. After talking to Tim at Wotja, he says that AB3 doesn’t work with Wotja, and that AUM is a better way of getting the midi into cubasis. So, if i can crack that i might be set. Thanks again everyone!!

• edited July 2018

Audiobus 3 Midi is an attempt to simplify setting up midi between apps, by basically doing it all for you behind the scenes. It works great, but you have to relinquish some direct control over the midi routing.

AUM has a midi routing matrix built in to help facilitate routing midi between apps. You can see hidden midi connections, and you can do the routing in one window for the most part. AUM also has some midi filtering and limiting functions built-in. Filtering applies to, say, midi channels. Limiting applies to note ranges and CC values, etc.

So: AUM = power, convenience
    AB3 = convenience, power
    Both = ultimate power and convenience

Both of these were very helpful back before AU came along and became better established. AU makes midi setup much easier, since the apps are hosted and under direct control of the host. So, a lot less switching and dealing with each apps particular way of dealing with midi routing.

• I just like to add that AUM is supreme for live performance and escaping the usual DAW experience and trappings. You can route midi from AUM to Cubasis.

• @DrPrimo said:
    And thanks CracklePot ! That was very helpful. I think my only thing now is getting cubasis to capture Wotja’s midi generator. After talking to Tim at Wotja, he says that AB3 doesn’t work with Wotja, and that AUM is a better way of getting the midi into cubasis. So, if i can crack that i might be set. Thanks again everyone!!

No problemo!
    I am downloading the free Wotja right now to have a look. I have to step out for a bit, but will be back shortly if you need further assistance.

• Thanks so much! Right now, i’m Digging fugue machine, but inputting notes is kind of a guess. I’m wondering if anyone knows if i can use my Bluetooth midi xkey keyboard to input the correct notes into fugue machine? Hmm...

• edited July 2018

@DrPrimo said:
    Thanks so much! Right now, i’m Digging fugue machine, but inputting notes is kind of a guess. I’m wondering if anyone knows if i can use my Bluetooth midi xkey keyboard to input the correct notes into fugue machine? Hmm...

It has midi in but only for control changes I believe, it has midi out so you can trigger other synths with it. In fact it has four midi outs for each tape head.

• So No way to control note in fugue machine? Just have to manually put notes in? Hats kind of a bummer.

• edited July 2018

@DrPrimo said:
    So No way to control note in fugue machine? Just have to manually put notes in? Hats kind of a bummer.

I felt the same way. Not even midi file import. :/
    But, Fugue Machine works even more magic when you don’t try to do things so deliberately.
    Use the range of offset options to create things you couldn’t preplan or predict, and it can create wonders.

• edited July 2018

So in Wotja, go into settings and enable Core Midi and Virtual Midi out. In Cubasis, load a Midi Track with whatever instrument you want. In the routing, select virtual midi ( it was near the bottom of the list, below the many Wotja ports). The free version only supports midi channel 1, so I picked that. Make sure you hit the arm button to arm the Cubasis midi track.
    You should be all good. I was able to drive Model D AU with Midi from Wotja, and record the midi in Cubasis.

• Wow! Rock star!! The guy who created works couldn’t even do that ... well done!