Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Very interesting guardian piece on the acid house rave scene in the uk

Thought this might be worth a read, especially to those here who got on one, talks about what the scene was like pre tabloid and police hysteria, which just encouraged things no end.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jul/01/thirty-years-since-the-second-summer-of-love-1988

Comments

• do you mean 'interesting' as in: ' interesting that they ignore the manchester, stoke-on-trent etc scenes that had been 'avin it' for at least two years earlier ' ?

• edited July 2018

@RockySmalls said:
    do you mean 'interesting' as in: ' interesting that they ignore the manchester, stoke-on-trent etc scenes that had been 'avin it' for at least two years earlier ' ?

The piece seems to be a memoir of personal experiences, rather than an academic text on the history of the scene. There are articles and essays abound on the internet about the northern scene and Hacienda. I thought it was interesting.

• The Guardian is the worst newspaper in the UK, over biased nonsense that should be read as if written by a spoilt ten year old in a bad mood.

• @RockySmalls said:
    do you mean 'interesting' as in: ' interesting that they ignore the manchester, stoke-on-trent etc scenes that had been 'avin it' for at least two years earlier ' ?

Just reading the recollections what I found most interesting, defo from a london perspective tho, no coventry, midlands, shelleys, hacienda or sheffield or the other scenes popping up. I remember going to this club in birmingham in spring 88, which became coast to coast after, watching the wave come in, was amazing, everyone was in their groups separate, then in the space of about what seemed like 3 weeks, everything changed.

Brings a tear to these oldish eyes, remembering what people are like when the barriers get stomped on with loads of dancing shoes and trainers, I'm not ashamed to admit, I started wearing very baggy colourful clothes, that would be right at home in the circus:p

• I’m always in two minds about the rave thing. I enjoy the music and the free party ethos, but I remember when the hippy festivals I went to and enjoyed, became overrun with ravers and weekend clubbers. The free festival scene was never the same again, and the all night sound systems used as an excuse to close it down.

But yeah, I enjoy a lot of the music, knew quite a few of the movers and shakers on the scene, and have had some very pleasant evenings at dedicated raves.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’m always in two minds about the rave thing. I enjoy the music and the free party ethos, but I remember when the hippy festivals I went to and enjoyed, became overrun with ravers and weekend clubbers. The free festival scene was never the same again, and the all night sound systems used as an excuse to close it down.

But yeah, I enjoy a lot of the music, knew quite a few of the movers and shakers on the scene, and have had some very pleasant evenings at dedicated raves.

There is a bit of disconnect when I read histories of the rave scene and the scenes which came earlier, like the hippy, traveller psychedelic rockers, northern soul all dayers/all nighters, dub scene etc. I was too young in the late 70's early 80's but knew people who were older and into the different scenes, they'd be like 'we've been doing this for years'.

I've watched some of the old northern soul vids and recognised all the footwork and arm waving, thinking it was a new thing at the end of the 80's, to be fair tho, I've watched old vintage footage of jazz band nights and saw similar footwork too, I'd be like 'omg, how far back does this go, wonder if the romans and egyptians would be busting footwork in their sandals, high on blue lotus'.

• @Turntablist said:
    The Guardian is the worst newspaper in the UK, over biased nonsense that should be read as if written by a spoilt ten year old in a bad mood.

as opposed to the Daily Maily written by a particularly malicious and psychotic 5 year old that's been taught by it's parents to be scared to death of anybody else existing in the world ? .. VERY interesting........ hmmmmmm... :)

• @mister_rz said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I’m always in two minds about the rave thing. I enjoy the music and the free party ethos, but I remember when the hippy festivals I went to and enjoyed, became overrun with ravers and weekend clubbers. The free festival scene was never the same again, and the all night sound systems used as an excuse to close it down.

There is a bit of disconnect when I read histories of the rave scene and the scenes which came earlier, like the hippy, traveller psychedelic rockers, northern soul all dayers/all nighters, dub scene etc. I was too young in the late 70's early 80's but knew people who were older and into the different scenes, they'd be like 'we've been doing this for years'.

I've watched some of the old northern soul vids and recognised all the footwork and arm waving, thinking it was a new thing at the end of the 80's, to be fair tho, I've watched old vintage footage of jazz band nights and saw similar footwork too, I'd be like 'omg, how far back does this go, wonder if the romans and egyptians would be busting footwork in their sandals, high on blue lotus'.

The stuff I listened to and watched at festivals was probably the precursor to electronic dance music - Hawkwind in particular used analogue synths and sequencers, and in between songs they’d jam out some very wacky beats. And all the weird electro acts playing on solar powered stages...

I think it was just the clubber vibe that rubbed old festival heads up the wrong way - at the smaller festivals most people put something in - helping set things up, provide food, music, stages etc. When the ravers turned up they’d make a load of racket, and then go home leaving a load of mess and angry locals.

There was a ‘settling in ‘ period, and eventually dance music integrated more fully and the festival scene became a commercial concern. I still miss the old small festivals though, they were properly magical events

• I preferred the early 90s for the actual music produced. To me, there’s a sweet spot between mid 91 and early 93. There was so much originality and musical talent, but the production values were low which gave the music a charm that will never be replicated.

• @MonzoPro said:

@mister_rz said:

@MonzoPro said:

The stuff I listened to and watched at festivals was probably the precursor to electronic dance music - Hawkwind in particular used analogue synths and sequencers, and in between songs they’d jam out some very wacky beats. And all the weird electro acts playing on solar powered stages...

I think it was just the clubber vibe that rubbed old festival heads up the wrong way - at the smaller festivals most people put something in - helping set things up, provide food, music, stages etc. When the ravers turned up they’d make a load of racket, and then go home leaving a load of mess and angry locals.

There was a ‘settling in ‘ period, and eventually dance music integrated more fully and the festival scene became a commercial concern. I still miss the old small festivals though, they were properly magical events

I noticed a similar thing at one of the last free parties I went to, on a firing range in wales, must of been around 07-08, loads of younger peeps there, by sunrise most had gone and it looked like a tip. I usually liked the day after as much as the night before, after you'd cleaned up and helped pack the sound away.

Time to chill with a well deserved doobie and have a chat, most times the vets and downright odd people would stick around, usually be one or two sound systems still playing, unless everyone had to get out of dodge, as the police were tired and wanted to go home. Outdoor parties I loved the most too, as I'd usually over do it, be nice to go for a wonder.

• @Beathoven said:
    I preferred the early 90s for the actual music produced. To me, there’s a sweet spot between mid 91 and early 93. There was so much originality and musical talent, but the production values were low which gave the music a charm that will never be replicated.

The vibe for me was better in 88-91, but the music would be 90-92, first time I had el-cid was in the summer of 1990, music sounded much different after that, loads of layers I hadn't noticed before, went out more from that point on.

• I have to thank the rave/festival scene (and being a milkman) for gifting me so many magical sunrises. There is something very special about that time of the day whether its taking the dog for a walk after an early night with a good book or dancing shirt-off in a field with sweaty new friends. I'm more of a fan of the outside events (especially the Welsh ones in October before the first frost) but the club scene was so god damn friendly in the early 90s.
    I was lucky enough to be with The Mutoids for a month in Berlin in 91 painting their tanks in black and white squares. Nice!

• @Richtowns said:
    I have to thank the rave/festival scene (and being a milkman) for gifting me so many magical sunrises. There is something very special about that time of the day whether its taking the dog for a walk after an early night with a good book or dancing shirt-off in a field with sweaty new friends. I'm more of a fan of the outside events (especially the Welsh ones in October before the first frost) but the club scene was so god damn friendly in the early 90s.
    I was lucky enough to be with The Mutoids for a month in Berlin in 91 painting their tanks in black and white squares. Nice!

If I could go back in time I'd like to of checked out the european scene as I liked a lot of the music, never got on with gabba tho, sounded like road works. Scene was very friendly back then, haven't been hugged that much since I was a baby.

• @RockySmalls said:

@Turntablist said:
    The Guardian is the worst newspaper in the UK, over biased nonsense that should be read as if written by a spoilt ten year old in a bad mood.

as opposed to the Daily Maily written by a particularly malicious and psychotic 5 year old that's been taught by it's parents to be scared to death of anybody else existing in the world ? .. VERY interesting........ hmmmmmm... :)

This^