Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fantastic

So I spent a bunch of time last night playing with Audiobus and I'm nothing less than blown away. It just works... period. I messed around with Sunrizer, NLog Pro and ThumbJam all going into LoopyHD or MultiTrackDAW.

Absolutely fantastic work.

Comments

• edited December 2012

It's true. Absolutely sublime performance. Can't wait for the inevitable avalanche of new, compatible apps to come tumbling in!

• I'm not sure if I'm more stunned and amazed by how well Audiobus is working for me, or the fact that apple didn't build the capability into iOs at the beginning of the "music app revolution". I mean, OF COURSE we want to actually use these apps together in this way... Duh!
    Thank goodness for The Tasty Pixel, for they have liberated us all!

• I was excited enough to finally get m'self an iPhone (but leery when the iOS update was a glaring red dot on my Settings icon) but more excited when I started to realize the extent of this community. For me, Audiobus is the key to it all. I don't know how virulent all this was back when folks were still using only IAA or Jack, but I'm guessing that things will now starting getting interesting.

What I would like to see are more apps that do more than copy each other with a different (if clever) UI. A friend commented upon getting some app demonstrations that all the beat-making apps are stuck in this fascination with dub & techno & hip hop & the like (not that I dislike that stuff!), and I suggested that that's where the moment is. I also said "Tools, not rules." They won't direct your creativity if you don't let them. I look at most of the apps I have as contributors in some way that they're good with for some project.

Fortunately, apps are pretty cheap. This allows one to go a little crazy and see what there is to offer to inspire you. And best of all, you can do all of this wherever you want! I'm still involved with app farming & I admit to not being much of an audio engineer - a lot of these apps test your mettle in that dept., but I'm interested in learning.

And AudioBus has worked flawlessly for me as well.

• Audiobus was before IAA and jack. We thought at first that IAA was going to threaten AB but it hasn't really worked that way and with AB2 coming soon it will still be the best.

• AB was Sept 2012 and Jack around March 2013 approx I think

• Jack didn't attract many devs and wasn't used much (no DAW). IAA can be useful, but has been implemented confusingly and we're still waiting for the resultant issues to sort themselves out.

• And Jack is still crippled since iOS 7.

• I keep hearing about problems with IAA, but I haven't run into ANY, and I use it as much as I do AB. Oh! This is the AB forum, isn't it? Never mind. IAA is rubbish!

• edited March 2014

@ZenLizard said:

I keep hearing about problems with IAA, but I haven't run into ANY, and I use it as much as I do AB. Oh! This is the AB forum, isn't it? Never mind. IAA is rubbish!

My main issue is that IAA apps opened say within Cubasis hide unseen in the system if you close the host without opening the apps into the background.

• @ZenLizard said:

I keep hearing about problems with IAA, but I haven't run into ANY, and I use it as much as I do AB. Oh! This is the AB forum, isn't it? Never mind. IAA is rubbish!

Have you updated Alchemy recently?
    How's the IAA MIDI/audio return pipe working for you in your DAW of choice?
    If you have the solutions to related issues reported by other users, please post them here.
    Meanwhile, I wouldn't claim that Audiobus works perfectly in 100% of cases, either.

• I deleted Alchemy a while ago. Not that there was anything bad about it – I just wanted to reclaim the space and I rarely used it. Auria is my DAW, and I don't use MIDI very much except for when composing/playing back a drum part, and for that I use Beatmaker 2 and Drums XD mostly. The thing I do use MIDI for more often is to play various synths from my keyboard to record in Auria. Most used are nave, Thor, iFretless, z3ta+, iSEM, Magellan, Galileo, JamUp, TF7, and TC-11. Also Effectrix, WOW, UltraPhaser, and EchoPad. I haven't found any solutions because I haven't run across any problems to solve. Sorry that's not much help. Don't get me wrong, I am still grateful for AB.