Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I record a live guitar alongside Live Loops in GarageBand?

Is it possible to record an audio track from a guitar at the same time as I’m recording Live Loops in GarageBand?

I’m trying to use it for live-looping, with some ready-made beats. What I’d like to do is use the beats/bass loops to build the “backing”, then play guitar at the same time. That works great.

But when I record in the Live Loops screen, GB only records the loops. It won’t record my live audio, even though the guitar is hooked up to a nice empty audio track. This means that I can’t record the performance.

Is this even possible?

Comments

• edited June 2018

Yes it’s possible, but for recording in a loop slot you have to double tap a blank guitar loop, loop screen recording will appear. Then click on 4.0 on upper right corner and choose AUTO for no limit loop length. Click on loop view record button while other loops playback and this should works.

Sorry can’t upload screenshots for some reason AB forum seems to don’t accept them today.

• Cool! So I’d actually be recording into a cell, only one with unlimited length?

• That doesn’t work either, because the recording interface takes up the entire screen. That makes it impossible to control the existing loops.

• edited June 2018

You have to starts other loops playback before recording guitar loop. You’re not forced to jam unlimited, set the desired guitar loop lenght. You will not be able to change loops playback while recording. Another solution is to jam with your backing loops and record this live loops view performance in arrangement view. Then record your guitar in arrangement view. Or you can use Audiobus with Launchpad and/or Loopy. But this is another topic.

• Cheers. The point is to do a live performance that mixes loops and live guitar. The recording would be to have a permanent but editable record of the performance. It seems that this isn’t possible in GB at the moment.

That’s a shame, because it would be amazing to do it all in one app.

Loopy is fantastic, but I like the GarageBand live loops more for this kind of thing. Launchpad is also good, but with no way to record loops on the fly.

Blocs Wave fixes the latter, but loop triggering isn’t so easy.

I shall hunt for a good alternative, but now it looks as if my best bet will be to record the live guitar In AUM, and just paste it in afterwards. Not ideal, but not too bad either.

• I'd never record a live performance on the same device that processes the sounds, let alone within the same app. Error potential rises exponentially ;)

• @Telefunky said:
    I'd never record a live performance on the same device that processes the sounds, let alone within the same app. Error potential rises exponentially ;)

Good point, but it’s not for a hard record. More foo I can use the material in future. That’s why I’d like it on separate tracks, but all in one spot.

• edited June 2018

I just commented on your other thread about this question/setup.

So in the future ppl know what I mean
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26685/alternative-to-garageband-live-loops#latest