Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's With IK??

I seldom have a beef with a developer (in my brief life on planet iOS, but IK has gotten to me over Miroslav Philharmonic 2! I waited for this to go on sale and was thirsting for it (you know the feeling?) in lieu of spending a couple of hundred for the complete iSymphonic (you get what you pay for). So I unwrap my beautiful orchestra and find many of the instruments do not complete the range of the instrument (are they proud to limit the sounds in the first place...
We are synth masters here after all. We like to push the limits. But less than an octave for a piccolo, three whole tones for a contrabass and so on, and all those white keys that should sound but don't, and what's with those damn pink keys on ST you have to look at but never use!? Not to mention an oboe that's further from a reed than I am to the Nile River (well, Turkey isn't really that far from Egypt).

And I have heard complaints about these faults from others... So I write IK and they respond "send a list of the problem patches and we'll see." I mean, they gotta know it's f%#€£?!ed up. I've heard the same complaints from others.
So why should I do all this work making lists when they know it's a problem?
Ok, so some might say $30 for a decent marimba and flute sound is not too bad. Well, no one here really. I just hate getting a runaround when they know what's up.

And while I'm at it, though I am in love with the RC 275 piano, I wrote them about the widely talked of pedal noise and they responded they never heard of such a thing! Well, I forgive them, because the piano is amazing, but not IK!
SampleTank's graphics are the worst IMO. I hate looking at those corny instruments! Eeerrr! Thanks for letting me rant. Anyone feel the same?
(Seriously, I know IK is a good company. All the more more reason they should own up to a known problem and not get people to submit lists of problem patches)

Comments

• IK and Korg are two companies I will probably never buy anything from ever again. IK both apps and gear, Korg I will still buy hardware from. SampleTank was my first paid app. The “all” pack was on sale. I wanted Sonik Synth and figured oh I could just get the “all” pack. Their old IAP store wasn’t as obvious as the new one. “All” isn’t all!! So then I bought Sonik Synth on top of that. Their sounds are okay, and I was happy for a while being my first app. They show you Ads for products you own and have registered with them after paying for their product. Looking back it wasn’t really worth it, but some of the sounds you won’t find in any other iOS apps. Their iRig MIDI 2 cuts out on me consistently (since iOS 9) they acknowledge that it is an issue for some users but don’t seem to be trying to fix it. I bought the damn iRing thing (yes I realized this might be the worst gimmick I’ve ever bought) and now it is a worthless piece of plastic that they say could still work if you had some software that can use it...

• I suspect Miroslav made a lot of tough decisions to get the total storage down to some number. Possibly to sell the whole lot to a keyboard vendor as a set of patches. IK is more of a distributor here than the Sample creator. They can probably identify a problem and go back to the source for a new sample to add to an update.

I am sorry your not happy with the capability. I also bought it on sale a few months ago and I find I rarely start SampleTank since I've joined the "must work as an AU". I'm slowly starting to avoid even IAA's except where I don't have an App that provides a specific effect capability and then the App chosen is often a matrix of effects which means I need a great Effects AU or 2 just start buying all those FabFilters.

Anyway... I'm not sure you'll be able to get IK to do much and getting Apps refunded seems to be the River no vendor wants to cross. Remember that thread about developers not making a living... well Corporations are "people too" (thanks SCOTUS) and they seek to maximize profits. Create enough furor and they might pay you off (if you sign the NDA).

Thanks for the writing prompt, Linear (contrapuntal melody) Line(s) Man.

McD

• I think my solution to the AU immaturity problem will be to use IDAM and have the IOS devices function as sound module into my Mac's Logic Pro. Modartt's PianoTeq 6 just released another Piano model choice that has the real Piano guys going crazy for the realism. Only $59 more if you already paid the $129 starting fee for 2 Pianos. OK... I love IOS as a way to cut costs, right? That $30 App is a huge decision but $59. That's a Colossus decision. It's great by the way. Just way too big to use as an AU useless you go Pro.

• I fell for the free Sampletank when I first started on iOS too. Thankfully, I was super broke back then so I couldn’t buy any IAPs. Otherwise I would have probably bought them all, and would be in that same boat with you @LinearLineman .

If you have the space on your device, GarageBand has some good orchestral stuff you can drive with Midi. GarageBand can be tricky to use with other DAWs and apps, but I can help you out if you go that route. GarageBand is free!

Also, I have to plug ThumbJam yet again. B) It costs like $8, has a bunch of free add-on sounds, it sounds and plays amazing, it supports 8 midi channels/instruments simultaneously, and @sonosaurus is one of the greatest iOS developers, ever. ThumbJam, DrumJam, and Tonal Energy Tuner are 3 of my most used, ultra-reliable apps.

• @CracklePot said:
    I fell for the free Sampletank when I first started on iOS too. Thankfully, I was super broke back then so I couldn’t buy any IAPs. Otherwise I would have probably bought them all, and would be in that same boat with you @LinearLineman .

If you have the space on your device, GarageBand has some good orchestral stuff you can drive with Midi. GarageBand can be tricky to use with other DAWs and apps, but I can help you out if you go that route. GarageBand is free!

Also, I have to plug ThumbJam yet again. B) It costs like $8, has a bunch of free add-on sounds, it sounds and plays amazing, it supports 8 midi channels/instruments simultaneously, and @sonosaurus is one of the greatest iOS developers, ever. ThumbJam, DrumJam, and Tonal Energy Tuner are 3 of my most used, ultra-reliable apps.

Groan I’m off to buy Drumjam now ☹️

• @theinvisibleman Sorry bout dat. :#
    I have all the IAPs for DJ, so if you are wondering about any of them I can supply some details for you. B)

• @CracklePot said:
    @theinvisibleman Sorry bout dat. :#
    I have all the IAPs for DJ, so if you are wondering about any of them I can supply some details for you. B)

NO! I can't afford it.

• @CracklePot said:

Do you have the mixer?

Has it updated in the last year?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@CracklePot said:

Do you have the mixer?

Has it updated in the last year?

Not sure, what mixer do you mean?

• Well, live and learn. My Jordantron is not being very epic lately either.
    I will look at Thumbjsm (oops, blame my iPad. It is a horny bugger!) again @CracklePot. Thumbjsm and Sensual sax are dating, I think.

• My Ik beef = irig BlueBoard is only Mac and iOS compatible, but I need a pc to update the firmware. Seriously??

• Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the support you've received so far. Please note that it is best to report issues through the support system at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/ios-apps/ where a ticket will be created and managed by the support team rather than the contact form which appears to be what was used. Either way, you did get a tech support rep response which upon review seems to be a bit more in-depth than I see described:

"Thanks for your email.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Please note, both SampleTank 3 and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 are designed to be as realistic as possible. One of the ways we kept to this goal was keeping only the original notes of the instruments samples. This means, we avoid pitching instruments up or down outside of their natural range.

If any sounds have keys which should be playing back, but are not. This would be an unusual issue. For this case, we would like to look into this. With that said, with your reply. Include a list of the instruments and notes you are having issue with and we can check into what is going on here."

The tech and support team are not aware of such issues as were described in your original email so it is not surprising to me that more specific information was requested. The tech wants to be able to assist you with all relevant issues so they can either be identified and fixed locally (if the issue is not global) or very specific information can be sent to the developers to get a fix implemented in a future update.

As far as sound quality (you mention the oboes) that is, of course, subjective but I didn't find them to be non-oboe-like and I do have some experience and education in composition and arranging. But again - sound quality can be subjective.

I also didn't find instruments that would not play in their stated ranges (the keys that are not dimmed) and they seemed to, at a casual glance, stay close to what the expected written ranges would be but there could be some discrepancy there as I did not do an exhaustive runthrough there. The support team will do so based on the issues reported back to them, though, and will happily assist you in fixing the issue you are experiencing.

• IK Multimedia have a history of poor customer service.

I had an awful time trying to get support for an issue so tried them on twitter too, and they blocked me! They don’t like public criticism and have previous for their arrogant responses on forums.

Bought plenty of IK gear and apps previously but not bought anything since.

• The person who monitors this forum for IK is pretty great, though.
    Never tried to deal with the company directly, though.

• In the past year that I’ve really been getting into iOS music, I have seen nothing but exemplary communication from IK on this forum. They answer concerns professionally and don’t shy away from criticism.

Also, Sampletank may be showing it’s age but Syntronik is one of my highest quality apps. I can’t speak to the hardware.

• @ikmultimedia , not only your support but you Guys send to forget about updating your app with AU and modern features, just browse the App Store it’s being years since some of those Apps have been updated. I also have a big beef with your price structure, to me it’s a rip off, I myself got suckered in and bought lots of you Apps on iOS and desktop. I have since rethink my spending on your products and Apps.
    Going back to App updates , look at your piano apps and Dj app, Haven’t been updated in years.

• @gusgranite said:
    In the past year that I’ve really been getting into iOS music, I have seen nothing but exemplary communication from IK on this forum. They answer concerns professionally and don’t shy away from criticism.

Also, Sampletank may be showing it’s age but Syntronik is one of my highest quality apps. I can’t speak to the hardware.

Syntronik!!!!!!
    One of the best splurges I have had on iOS. $50, but I have to admit I am quite satisfied. I still haven’t gone through all of those sounds. I keep stopping because everything sounds sooooo goooood.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    IK Multimedia have a history of poor customer service.

I had an awful time trying to get support for an issue so tried them on twitter too, and they blocked me! They don’t like public criticism and have previous for their arrogant responses on forums.

I don't know what happened there with regard to Twitter blocking but to simplify things you're unblocked. I'm Digital Marketing Manager here which means I can make that call so it is done. And you've got a new follower too.

• @djjuniorpops said:
    @ikmultimedia , not only your support but you Guys send to forget about updating your app with AU and modern features, just browse the App Store it’s being years since some of those Apps have been updated. I also have a big beef with your price structure, to me it’s a rip off, I myself got suckered in and bought lots of you Apps on iOS and desktop. I have since rethink my spending on your products and Apps.
    Going back to App updates , look at your piano apps and Dj app, Haven’t been updated in years.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. There are things I could say but they might sound like excuses, and I don't want to make excuses so I'll make sure these concerns are heard. I, too, want to see more updates and AU across the board and this has been mentioned regularly but I'll mention these points again (likely more than once in the near future) for sure.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    IK Multimedia have a history of poor customer service.

I don't know what happened there with regard to Twitter blocking but to simplify things you're unblocked. I'm Digital Marketing Manager here which means I can make that call so it is done. And you've got a new follower too.

That’s a decent gesture, thanks.

As a few have mentioned, the IK presence on this forum has certainly been nicer in recent times. Cheers.

• @CracklePot said:
    The person who monitors this forum for IK is pretty great, though.
    Never tried to deal with the company directly, though.

@gusgranite said:
    In the past year that I’ve really been getting into iOS music, I have seen nothing but exemplary communication from IK on this forum. They answer concerns professionally and don’t shy away from criticism.

I'm not ignoring the positive comments either :smile: Thanks to you both, I'm glad IK (and I) have provided great music tools, service, and communication for you.

• Well, I appreciate IKs well mannered and friendly response, and as you say you have not done an exhaustive run through. Still, you must be aware of problems if not only I am experiencing them. Also, devs who appear on this site generally have some form of name. Who are you? Even if only your position in the company. And as far as oboes go, I don't care what your background is, that ain't reedy except for a couple of low notes. It is just an example of the unevenness of the samples. I loved the demos and if those were the same unadorned instruments then something is wrong with my ears ( and after taking the piano poll quiz I can believe that!)

QI mostly object to being asked to go thru 140 patches to let you know which don't function when I am not the only one who has encountered these problems. Do your own homework.. I have not had this problem on any other app, I don't complain and haven't wanted my dough back... Till now. And as they say it's the principle not the money. Anyway, I don't expect to get a refund, but your post, whoever you are, has not changed my mind.but at least there is a response and not yet one from UVI on their pedal noise issue which, frankly, I consider a bigger problem because the quality of the Ravenscroft piano far exceeds any of the grands in MP2 and is of considerable value in playing and recording, I guess you get my drift. Humility doesn't seem to ever be a part of the corporate structure. But I knew this already and long ago.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    That’s a decent gesture, thanks.

As a few have mentioned, the IK presence on this forum has certainly been nicer in recent times. Cheers.

You're welcome. I'll tip my hat to Ryan who is a positive and refreshing breath of fresh air on the team and who has been helping people in many ways with IK for a while but is new to assist folks here - but has been doing a bang-up job of it.

• Ah, Digital Manager. Lincoln said it best, I guess. Just my turn for this one, I know you mean well.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Ah, Digital Manager. Lincoln said it best, I guess. Just my turn for this one, I know you mean well.

It just means I can get things done and did in that case I mentioned :smile: Titles are dumb in general, but hey if it gets things done, gets you in the door, gets GOOD things done I'm ok with that

• Well, could you please go through all 140 sounds then. That would be a good thing for you to know for sure. Personally and not hearsay, I mean. Thanks for your attention to this.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, I appreciate IKs well mannered and friendly response, and as you say you have not done an exhaustive run through. Still, you must be aware of problems if not only I am experiencing them. Also, devs who appear on this site generally have some form of name. Who are you? Even if only your position in the company. And as far as oboes go, I don't care what your background is, that ain't reedy except for a couple of low notes. It is just an example of the unevenness of the samples. I loved the demos and if those were the same unadorned instruments then something is wrong with my ears ( and after taking the piano poll quiz I can believe that!)

QI mostly object to being asked to go thru 140 patches to let you know which don't function when I am not the only one who has encountered these problems. Do your own homework.. I have not had this problem on any other app, I don't complain and haven't wanted my dough back... Till now. And as they say it's the principle not the money. Anyway, I don't expect to get a refund, but your post, whoever you are, has not changed my mind.but at least there is a response and not yet one from UVI on their pedal noise issue which, frankly, I consider a bigger problem because the quality of the Ravenscroft piano far exceeds any of the grands in MP2 and is of considerable value in playing and recording, I guess you get my drift. Humility doesn't seem to ever be a part of the corporate structure. But I knew this already and long ago.

The support team will do a run through but I didn't see the specific issues you mentioned (all ranges that were showing as playable all played notes, for example). I ran through some of the mentioned instruments and didn't have issues with their ranges, so it would be great to specify the issues you ran into. Nobody would ask that you look at every instrument, the request is to explain which instruments you are having issues with and to specify which notes won't play (or details about whatever issue is happening). I'm sure that will let them get to the bottom of the issues you're experiencing.

Again, nobody is asking you to run through every instrument to find issues we would just like to know the specifics of the issues you are having.

As far as refunds go, iOS apps are refunded through the App Store so I'm not quite sure how the tech support team would handle that but they are no strangers to all kinds of support requests so I'm sure they'll handle anything with regard to that with courtesy and to the best of their ability.

• Thank you, Mr. Manager. Definitely grace under fire. God bless.

• I looked at the behavior of my install and I do see 1 octave only for most piccolo options and a couple more with more notes. I can’t find the limited contrabass mentioned. I only see contrabass in context with violas and contrabasses and they get a wide range of notes.

The input controller might be involved. I just did quick range testing with the onscreen keyboard because i’m hoping not .to find problems. I like the product for emulating orchestrasat a reasonable cost. Great products for this need cost 10-30 times as much and for my purposes i’m happy with my fake little Philharmonic esp on sale days.

I have gotten very frustrated with IK support at times but that’s always the case when something doesn’t work. Most of us start with forum because they never start by asking you to do a lot of work.... they just suggest tips or share relevant experiences.

At this point IK has gotten about $600 from me to make IOS and sometimes mac’s do some rather cool things that delight me with headphones on and sometimes others through PA’s. They make stuff that works and competes on price as a rule. Customer support is one of the most trying jobs in tech because the customer has already tried almost everything and often found a corner case that might be hard for the support person to duplicate since these systems have many optional elements and it’ s Hard to own them all. So you have to counsel the customer into being a part of the troubleshooting process as in: try rebooting then fire up the app and then insert the midi controller and then check for midi actions with midi wrench and tell me what shows up in the device communication when you select that patch, etc.

In an ideal world it because a partnership towards a goal.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, could you please go through all 140 sounds then. That would be a good thing for you to know for sure. Personally and not hearsay, I mean. Thanks for your attention to this.

You must be really fun at parties.