Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Learning modular synthesis on iOS

Lately I've been digging in, learning modular synthesis , using iOS apps (Audulus 3, Model 15, Modular, Zmors) and I just happened upon one I'm not sure how I possibly missed before, AnalogKit. I don't see that one mentioned around here much, so just curious what you guys think of it? When I first got into iOS music, I remember one or two modular apps that weren't available on the U.S. App Store (only U.K. I think) and I'm wondering if this was one of them, that perhaps was finally put on the U.S. store?

Love it so far - it's one of the best modulars for learning that I've found on iOS. Interface is laid out extremely well, perhaps a bit more pleasing UI than Zmors. Much more stable and more powerful than Pulse Pulse Code modular (which constantly crashed on my iPad Pro) . Audulus obviously has the most potential , but it's a bit overwhelming for beginners and something I want to migrate to once I'm more experienced.

AnalogKit sounds incredible ..something I could easily find use for in my productions. Just thought I'd give it a mention and ask if I'm missing any other good modulars. (I also have SunVox, Caustic and KRFT, and aside from Caustic, I haven't really gotten into the others)

On desktop, I own Reaktor, Softube Modular, and Max for Live, all of which I'd like to eventually get a lot more mileage out of ., but I find it a lot more rewarding and efficient to learn the basics to intermediate level on my tablet , especially in more focused environments like the aforementioned.

Comments

• I might class Rotor as a modular, in a way.

• Check out Ripplemaker

• @u0421793 said:
    I might class Rotor as a modular, in a way.

Interesting. hadn’t heard of that one before, thanks. The optional physical controls remind me of something like a mini MS surface dial upon first glace :) cool!

• edited June 2018

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    Lately I've been digging in, learning modular synthesis , using iOS apps (Audulus 3, Model 15, Modular, Zmors) and I just happened upon one I'm not sure how I possibly missed before, AnalogKit. I don't see that one mentioned around here much, so just curious what you guys think of it? When I first got into iOS music, I remember one or two modular apps that weren't available on the U.S. App Store (only U.K. I think) and I'm wondering if this was one of them, that perhaps was finally put on the U.S. store?

Love it so far - it's one of the best modulars for learning that I've found on iOS. Interface is laid out extremely well, perhaps a bit more pleasing UI than Zmors. Much more stable and more powerful than Pulse Pulse Code modular (which constantly crashed on my iPad Pro) . Audulus obviously has the most potential , but it's a bit overwhelming for beginners and something I want to migrate to once I'm more experienced.

AnalogKit sounds incredible ..something I could easily find use for in my productions. Just thought I'd give it a mention and ask if I'm missing any other good modulars. (I also have SunVox, Caustic and KRFT, and aside from Caustic, I haven't really gotten into the others)

On desktop, I own Reaktor, Softube Modular, and Max for Live, all of which I'd like to eventually get a lot more mileage out of ., but I find it a lot more rewarding and efficient to learn the basics to intermediate level on my tablet , especially in more focused environments like the aforementioned.

Rotor is a good additional tip- otherwise sounds like you have all the worthwhile stuff. AnalogKit is pretty great - the Swapmeet community sharing feature is really cool. Activity in the community and updates of the app have slacked off a bit, but it is still stable and usable. All the non music builds in the demos and downloads are pretty neat too

• For desktop modular @AnimalHeadSpirit, I'd also check out VCV Rack
    https://vcvrack.com There is an excellent tutorial vid series on it here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193119
    Its early days for me but I'm invested. I have also been noodling with Reaktor Blocks and am in the process of interfacing desktop modular via expert sleepers es-3 to my mother-32.

• edited June 2018

@Kandavu said:
    For desktop modular @AnimalHeadSpirit, I'd also check out VCV Rack
    https://vcvrack.com There is an excellent tutorial vid series on it here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193119
    Its early days for me but I'm invested. I have also been noodling with Reaktor Blocks and am in the process of interfacing desktop modular via expert sleepers es-3 to my mother-32.

VCV is incredible ... I’ve barely scratched the surface on that one .. Got stumped trying to get midi from my Push 2 to work at same time as audio via VCVBridge .. got audio routed into Ableton just fine , or midi by itself w/ no prob, but for some reason I haven’t been able to get both , after going over the guides (setting up LoopMidi, etc). ..

As soon as I get everything working, I definitely plan to invest in the ecosystem..atleast buying Andrew’s commercial modules, if not others. I love how much easier it is on CPU than reaktor , or even worse, Softube , which opens up the possibility of much more complex patches than the latter.

Speaking of softube, I picked up all the expansion modules + heartbeat during a recent sale. It’s a bit unfortunate for the company that VCV dropped when it did ., if Softube Modular had come out two years prior, I think there’d be a lot more appreciation for this incredible synth. From a sound standpoint, it’s unsurpassed imho. only drawback I’ve found is that its a cpu killer -my overclocked i7 3770k can’t even handle a few of the factory presets :(.

• edited June 2018

@Littlewoodg said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

Rotor is a good additional tip- otherwise sounds like you have all the worthwhile stuff. AnalogKit is pretty great - the Swapmeet community sharing feature is really cool. Activity in the community and updates of the app have slacked off a bit, but it is still stable and usable. All the non music builds in the demos and downloads are pretty neat too

I’m so intrigued by the Reactable systems table systems and their mobile offshoot. Really like the idea of the physical controls too ..close to taking the plunge, at least on the app. The controller set is out of stock on the companies site , but hopefully they’re still in good shape as a company. Noticed active developer replies on app store as recent as Jan, so thats a pretty good sign. Thanks.

• edited June 2018

@Halftone said:
    Check out Ripplemaker

Love that one , and all of brams AUs .. I’m usually more into the eastcoast paradigm, but I still have fun experimenting with the buchla style synths like that.

• @Kandavu said:
    For desktop modular @AnimalHeadSpirit, I'd also check out VCV Rack

Just curious, is mother-32 your first foray into hardware modular? I'm so looking forward to setting up a hybrid computer/analog rig as well..

I've been drooling over my sweetwater catalog lately, so tempted to get in on the game. It'll be a while before I can afford it though, as I don't think my current audio interface has DC coupled outputs , so I'm saving up for a entry-to-midrange MOTU or RME ... After which, it's either Mother-32, Behringer Neutron and/or Behringer Model D as my gateway drug :) ..

Here's an interesting interview with an artist who uses Softube in that context with an amazing setup.,

Maybe if I win the lottery. ;)

• The tutorials in Model 15 are quite good.
    I personally prefer smaller modulars but with still a lot possibilities.
    VCV rack is great, Reaktor is a beast but the best sounding modular synth (in general synth for me) ever is P900. It‘s easy to use, best GUI for a modular. Sounds better than most hardware even. It‘s mac only. Easy to switch to 4 or 8 voice polyphony. It‘s limited in kind and numbers of modules but anyway i never would reach the limit due to cpu.
    All the others doesn‘t sound good for me now :o

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:

@Kandavu said:

Just curious, is mother-32 your first foray into hardware modular? I'm so looking forward to setting up a hybrid computer/analog rig as well..

I've been drooling over my sweetwater catalog lately, so tempted to get in on the game. It'll be a while before I can afford it though, as I don't think my current audio interface has DC coupled outputs , so I'm saving up for a entry-to-midrange MOTU or RME ... After which, it's either Mother-32, Behringer Neutron and/or Behringer Model D as my gateway drug :) ..

Here's an interesting interview with an artist who uses Softube in that context with an amazing setup.,

@AnimalHeadSpirit . Thanks for the vid link. I haven't seen it before. Yeah the mother32 is my first foray into hardware modular. Bought it '15. It's production number is below the first 2k sold. It's a keeper. Recently I've acquired a TipTop Happy Ending rack with an ES-3. So I'm looking forward to the connectivity with my software modular. The Neutron seems hard to resist at $300.00.
    I'm glad you started this thread as I'm also intrigued by any iOS connectivity possibilities with modular setups.

Maybe if I win the lottery. ;)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

The Reactable app itself is still maintained and ove> @AnimalHeadSpirit said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

I’m so intrigued by the Reactable systems table systems and their mobile offshoot. Really like the idea of the physical controls too ..close to taking the plunge, at least on the app. The controller set is out of stock on the companies site , but hopefully they’re still in good shape as a company. Noticed active developer replies on app store as recent as Jan, so thats a pretty good sign. Thanks.

That first version of Reactable app is pretty cool, still updated and stable. (and there’s a community there as well). Some differences in synth stuff between the two.

The big difference is that the newer Rotor has some of the best in-app documentation and tutorial stuff as I’ve ever seen in iOS

• edited June 2018

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

Ripplemaker should be on your list. Easiest path into west coast patching, and fantastic sound.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

Ripplemaker should be on your list. Easiest path into west coast patching, and fantastic sound.

+1, makes for quick immersion

• Another modular app you might want to look into is MobMuPlat, it uses Pd patches. You build your GUI on a PC and then load it into the app. There are a lot of Pd patches available on line. There’s definitely a learning curve to Pd but there are lots of tutorials.

Moebius Lab is an interesting IAA/AU host app as it has lots of built-in effects and feedback loops along with slots where you can add AU or IAA apps.

If you haven’t already done so, it’d be a good idea to check out the Audulus forum and get help there to get going with Audulus 3.

iOS AU/IAA apps like AUM, Ape Matrix, and others can also be treated as a modular system where various sound generators, effect apps, buses and MIDI control apps can be setup and incorporated with external hardware/instruments.

• I have tried most modular environments on iOS and I find it hard to recommend a single one. Each has its own advantages.
    MobMuPlat is certainly the most powerful because you're only limited to what you can do in PureData, but it's IMHO the worst to learn modular synthesis. It's a more scientific approach to building patches.
    Zmors Modular looks good (it even contains a PureData module too) but I've run into too many limitations that spoiled the fun for me.
    Audulus is quite powerful and, for my taste, very usable. Also its modules are somewhat flexible enough to build more exotic setups. The user forum has great example patches.
    AnalogKit has the best mix of being accessible yet flexible and the user library, accessible from inside the app, is fantastic (although there are bugs that limit the amount of modules you can see).
    Rotor is not the typical modular synth but it has so many exciting, performance-oriented modules that it's in a class of its own.
    Korg iMS-20 is great if you want to restrict yourself to a classic synth structure with a few flexible routing options. A bit like Ripplemaker on steroids. It offers 2 OSC, FM, LPF, HPF, 2 separate EGs, built-in live-tweakable FX and a drum mode in which you have 6 additional synth instances plus step sequencers just for synthesized drums.
    Propellerheads thor is actually a rather powerful modular synth too. It's very flexible, has an insane modulation matrix, lots of different modules and routing options, and a simple step sequencer that can be used for control signals too.
    I've deleted Jasuto because it's too limited: You can't even do audio-rate modulation of e.g. filter cutoff...

If you just want to learn what modular synthesis is about and have some playful fun, my instant recommendations would be thor, AnalogKit, Audulus or, if you're more into the performance aspect, Rotor.

• I'm glad you found AnalogKit, it is one of the apps that made it worth it for me to get an ipad. Like a lot of good books, there's a slow begining to get over, but once you get the logic of how the voltage/numbers/audio flows from one module to the next, it gets really creative with what you can make.

I've gotten more out of AnalogKit, than a whole eurorack system- the digital modulars are so accommodating to those that are interested in building instruments and effects. Partly because you can use as many modules as you want- you have an idea that needs 20 seperate delay lines? No problem. And you can save it.

It got me interested the big desktop modulars/audio environments like Reaktor, PD, Max/MSP.

• @InfoCheck said:
    Another modular app you might want to look into is MobMuPlat, it uses Pd patches. You build your GUI on a PC and then load it into the app. There are a lot of Pd patches available on line. There’s definitely a learning curve to Pd but there are lots of tutorials.

Moebius Lab is an interesting IAA/AU host app as it has lots of built-in effects and feedback loops along with slots where you can add AU or IAA apps.

If you haven’t already done so, it’d be a good idea to check out the Audulus forum and get help there to get going with Audulus 3.

iOS AU/IAA apps like AUM, Ape Matrix, and others can also be treated as a modular system where various sound generators, effect apps, buses and MIDI control apps can be setup and incorporated with external hardware/instruments.

Awesome ., yet another one that had escaped my attention till now. Thank you for the reply and tip! .. Very cool that MobMuPlat is free, to boot! Although It'll probably be a bit before I try to wrap my head around the coding, it's a welcome diversion to see it come with so many example patches to peruse & learn from in the mean time. Looks somewhat similar to Max at first glance.

Jumped on ApeMatrix the moment it went live, being a huge fan of Apesoft and Amazing noise-- Just the ability to LFO modulate any control on any AU would have clinched the deal for me, but it also being an excellent AU host with endless routing possibilities, really blew my mind. I need to give Moebius another look too ., ty for reminding me. Got it on sale some time ago, been neglected in an overflowing app folder since ;)

I jumped full time into Ableton/Reason on desktop for the last 1/2 year but the iOS world is just pulling me back with all these awesome new possibilities opening up.

• @Processaurus said:
    I'm glad you found AnalogKit, it is one of the apps that made it worth it for me to get an ipad. Like a lot of good books, there's a slow begining to get over, but once you get the logic of how the voltage/numbers/audio flows from one module to the next, it gets really creative with what you can make.

I've gotten more out of AnalogKit, than a whole eurorack system- the digital modulars are so accommodating to those that are interested in building instruments and effects. Partly because you can use as many modules as you want- you have an idea that needs 20 seperate delay lines? No problem. And you can save it.

It got me interested the big desktop modulars/audio environments like Reaktor, PD, Max/MSP.

I've just had it for a couple days now and I could see that huge potential right off that bat...I feel like this will be what really jumps starts me into building useful kits, beyond the basic modulated synth patches I've been doing in various environments.

That's great to hear that you've realized that potential in AnalogKit. Having the built in network of user-shared patches is one of the things that sets it apart for me -- so much fodder to tear apart and hopefully reverse engineer to figure out how and why things do what they do.

I'm at the point where I have a pretty solid grasp of basic synthesis fundamentals and getting to where I can reproduce a lot of sounds, so long as it's not too complex. Getting over that hump to understand more advanced routing and , for instance, what one can do with those "20 delay lines" is my next step. Youtube has certainly been a help, though it's often hit or miss finding the gems that efficiently get the point across. I guess I'll probably learn the most just by dissecting other's patches and experimenting.

In your own modular journey, did you learn mostly by trial and error, reverse engineering, or perhaps find some good tutorials that opened new pathways for you?

Cheers and thanks for the reply :)

• @rs2000 said:
    I have tried most modular environments on iOS and I find it hard to recommend a single one. Each has its own advantages.
    MobMuPlat is certainly the most powerful because you're only limited to what you can do in PureData, but it's IMHO the worst to learn modular synthesis. It's a more scientific approach to building patches.
    Zmors Modular looks good (it even contains a PureData module too) but I've run into too many limitations that spoiled the fun for me.
    Audulus is quite powerful and, for my taste, very usable. Also its modules are somewhat flexible enough to build more exotic setups. The user forum has great example patches.
    AnalogKit has the best mix of being accessible yet flexible and the user library, accessible from inside the app, is fantastic (although there are bugs that limit the amount of modules you can see).
    Rotor is not the typical modular synth but it has so many exciting, performance-oriented modules that it's in a class of its own.
    Korg iMS-20 is great if you want to restrict yourself to a classic synth structure with a few flexible routing options. A bit like Ripplemaker on steroids. It offers 2 OSC, FM, LPF, HPF, 2 separate EGs, built-in live-tweakable FX and a drum mode in which you have 6 additional synth instances plus step sequencers just for synthesized drums.
    Propellerheads thor is actually a rather powerful modular synth too. It's very flexible, has an insane modulation matrix, lots of different modules and routing options, and a simple step sequencer that can be used for control signals too.
    I've deleted Jasuto because it's too limited: You can't even do audio-rate modulation of e.g. filter cutoff...

If you just want to learn what modular synthesis is about and have some playful fun, my instant recommendations would be thor, AnalogKit, Audulus or, if you're more into the performance aspect, Rotor.

Great point re: each having advantages and a unique take on things. That's why I like having a wide variety in my toolset. I find it also helps inspire creativity to routinely switch up environments, or even being somewhat limited on occasion, forcing me to push to overcome the constraints, which has often gotten me over writers block.

These are some excellent recommandations & summaries btw -- Just picked up Rotor and MobMuPlat today, thanks to you guys bringing them to my attention.

I need to revisit some of these you mentioned, as I haven't touched iMS-20 much since I've gotten comfortable with basic modular synthesis. It was one of the first apps I bought years ago, before I got serious about music production or knew what I was doing.

Thor is easily one of my favs, I have it on iPad, though I've been spending more with it in reason lately. Out of all the factory synths in Logic, Reason and Ableton, thor is definitely #1 for me. Would buy it all over again if it was AU.

Was just now looking up Jasuto, out of curiosity. I'm guessing its UK store only or 32 bit, as it didn't show up on U.S. app store search. Sounds like it's a pass anyway.

p.s. I'm a bit of an appaholic with the dangerous combination of too much free space on iPad Pro, with only regret being I haven't focused energy to really get the most out of any one environment, instead trying to learn a bit of everything at once. I'm going to have to make a point of narrowing my field a bit, which I'm sure will increase my overall ability.

Thanks for the reply and tips!

• @Kandavu said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

@Kandavu said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit . Thanks for the vid link. I haven't seen it before. Yeah the mother32 is my first foray into hardware modular. Bought it '15. It's production number is below the first 2k sold. It's a keeper. Recently I've acquired a TipTop Happy Ending rack with an ES-3. So I'm looking forward to the connectivity with my software modular. The Neutron seems hard to resist at $300.00.
    I'm glad you started this thread as I'm also intrigued by any iOS connectivity possibilities with modular setups.

Would love to hear how your setup progresses. Been looking at some of the entry level Arturia rack cases and also considering the DIY route. I've never soldered a damn thing ;) but after watching the incredible walls of synths that "Look Mum no Computer" put together himself for pennies on the dollar, it's definitely an intriguing possibility.

I'm still a bit of a beginner when it comes to connectivity and routing ..so far I just have a iConnectMidi4++ , which handles my Laptop - Ipad - Desktop audio + midi connectivity , Keystep and 61 key KB -- It's a bit overkill for my current setup, but figured it'd future proof & get the job done for when I get into hardware/eurorack.

Best of luck to you in your modular adventures :)

p.s. Absolutely re: Neutron. I would have had it by now if it had been available in April or May when it was originally announced. The listing was even up on Sweetwater for a while before then, but suddenly disappeared. Please take my money Behringer! it's burning a hole in my pocket.
    ;)

• @Littlewoodg said:

The big difference is that the newer Rotor has some of the best in-app documentation and tutorial stuff as I’ve ever seen in iOS

I agree, very smooth interface and thorough guide. While I usually prefer PDF manuals, (I keep a folder with hundreds of app guides at the ready in Goodreader) - I don't mind so much with Rotor though, since they went above and beyond with the help system. Maybe they took a cue from Ableton :)

Thanks again for turning me on to this ..Endlessly fun audio playground with enormous potential!
    Cheers!

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:

@rs2000 said:
    I have tried most modular environments on iOS and I find it hard to recommend a single one. Each has its own advantages.

Great point re: each having advantages and a unique take on things. That's why I like having a wide variety in my toolset. I find it also helps inspire creativity to routinely switch up environments, or even being somewhat limited on occasion, forcing me to push to overcome the constraints, which has often gotten me over writers block.

These are some excellent recommandations & summaries btw -- Just picked up Rotor and MobMuPlat today, thanks to you guys bringing them to my attention.

I need to revisit some of these you mentioned, as I haven't touched iMS-20 much since I've gotten comfortable with basic modular synthesis. It was one of the first apps I bought years ago, before I got serious about music production or knew what I was doing.

Thor is easily one of my favs, I have it on iPad, though I've been spending more with it in reason lately. Out of all the factory synths in Logic, Reason and Ableton, thor is definitely #1 for me. Would buy it all over again if it was AU.

Was just now looking up Jasuto, out of curiosity. I'm guessing its UK store only or 32 bit, as it didn't show up on U.S. app store search. Sounds like it's a pass anyway.

p.s. I'm a bit of an appaholic with the dangerous combination of too much free space on iPad Pro, with only regret being I haven't focused energy to really get the most out of any one environment, instead trying to learn a bit of everything at once. I'm going to have to make a point of narrowing my field a bit, which I'm sure will increase my overall ability.

Thanks for the reply and tips!

Jasuto is 32 bit and one of the few apps that I miss that were lost in the cull.

Not got much to add to the recommendations here other than I hope VCV comes to iOS somehow, that thing (and the community) is a marvel.

• @AnimalHeadSpirit You mentioned that you have SunVox, how did you get along with it-
    (it really is the king of the modular playgrounds, not a modular synth as such but it blurs the lines given it’s extreme open endedness)

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @AnimalHeadSpirit You mentioned that you have SunVox, how did you get along with it-
    (it really is the king of the modular playgrounds, not a modular synth as such but it blurs the lines given it’s extreme open endedness)

+1

• @InfoCheck said:
    Another modular app you might want to look into is MobMuPlat, it uses Pd patches. You build your GUI on a PC and then load it into the app. There are a lot of Pd patches available on line. There’s definitely a learning curve to Pd but there are lots of tutorials.

I use Automatonism on PD, which abstracts the lower-level coding into an interface that looks like a modular synth. It's easy to use, if you understand modular synth patching. I think it can be uploaded to ipad via mobmuplat, but I have not tried that yet. I would not use PD without it, as I have no interest in coding my music.

I also like to build generative modular patches in AUM. I came up with a nice one last night:

Rozeta Particles into Scaler (both modified by Rozeta LFOs) driving one instance of Ripplemaker, going into Kosmonaut set to looping. That single monophonic voice was enough for an entire soundscape with great movement and variation.

• I posted on another thread about this...

I have been using Max/MSP on osx for many years, and I love it and know it so well... Its also what 'Max4Live' is created with ... I'd love to see an iOS port, even if it just loads M4L files as an AU or something, that would be amazing. Oh yeah, maybe someday NI will give us Reaktor for iOS

• @AnimalHeadSpirit, I love Thor as well, the easiest for me to program as I am also a rank beginner just starting to post stuff.
    I got SynthMaster1 and recommend it for its clarity of sound. A different milieu from Thor and complementary for me.

Jasuto was bought on a wim and ultimately did not work for me. I prefer a more old world environment.i'll take a look at Analogkit on your rec. thanks.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @AnimalHeadSpirit You mentioned that you have SunVox, how did you get along with it-

You know, other than occasionally toying around with it and creating a simple beat here & there, I haven't really invested enough energy in it for it to open up and and become an efficient workflow for me. Same with renoise or other trackers. I feel more at home with a piano roll , or even iSequence/Pixitracker style sequencing, but that's only due to familiarity.

I've been intending to spend more time with it. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 laying around unused, that I've been thinking about setting up and dedicating to SunVox.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @AnimalHeadSpirit, I love Thor as well, the easiest for me to program as I am also a rank beginner just starting to post stuff.
    I got SynthMaster1 and recommend it for its clarity of sound. A different milieu from Thor and complementary for me.

Jasuto was bought on a wim and ultimately did not work for me. I prefer a more old world environment.i'll take a look at Analogkit on your rec. thanks.

I've got nearly too many synths on my iPad, and while quite a few of them overlap & cover a lot of the same ground, you really did quite well to pick those two. There's really nothing quite like them on iOS and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with them!

p.s. I'd probably classify those two as essentials, along with Zeeon, Moog Model D, Animoog and Sunrizer.

Anyway welcome to the community and best of luck on your iOS music journey:)