Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• @ZenLizard said:
    Forgive me if this has been pointed out already, but the “set as default preset” doesn’t work. No matter how many times I’ve tried to set it to something else, SM1 always starts up with ARP Reso Flow.

Noted.

• edited June 2018

@ZenLizard said:
    Forgive me if this has been pointed out already, but the “set as default preset” doesn’t work. No matter how many times I’ve tried to set it to something else, SM1 always starts up with ARP Reso Flow.

Yes, this was mentioned in my long bug list here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/502024/#Comment_502024

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@MobileMusic said:
    I've updated my loooong bug list on page 14 of this thread (please re-check):
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/502024/#Comment_502024

However, as people may not be going back to see the bug list again and again, I've stopped updating it with new findings.

Here is a new issue found and the steps to reproduce it:

• Add a Preset to Favorites
    • Go to Favorites => preset doesn't show in Favorites
    • Need to close and relaunch SM1 to see the newly added preset in Favorites.

However, I suggested to move Favorites as a bank in the Banks list under Browser. When that is done, it should still work as expected (refresh Favorites list for every addition/deletion).

Also, the Bank list is too wide which may be reduced and more width added to Preset list.

HTH

Hmmm... I don’t get it...
    For me the favorite preset behavior is 100% OK...

A matter of facts, there’s few, very few occasions when Synthmaster One behave buggy (for me)...

I’m on iOS 11.4, iPad Pro 12.9” 2017

It's not consistent.
    I just added AR Runner to Favorites, went to Favorites, it's not there.
    I then added ARP 90disco to Favorites, went to Favorites, both are there.
    Added ARP Gangs to Favorites, went to Favorites, it's not there.
    I'm sure if I add a couple of more or relaunch SM1, ARP Gangs will be there in Favorites.
    Hope this clarifies.

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@brice said:

@skulptur_sound said:
    How does this synth compare sound wise to serum, or on iOS scythe?? I’m more of a dnb producer when it comes to synths I like that nasty 😷 nasty...

I’d place it on a scale somewhere between far superior to Scythe but not even close to Serum in terms of overall sound quality. That’s not to say it doesn’t sound great. And for an iOS synth I think it’s probably up there with the best of them. It can certainly produce dnb worthy sounds, though my experience so far with importing custom wavetables and wavetable modulation has been far from impressive. I haven’t seen any comments in this thread regarding this matter, but I’m hoping it gets addressed at some point in the future as I think this is SM1s greatest strength if it works correctly.

Synthmaster uses interpolation when cycling through waveforms, serum stil doesnt. That might account for the sound difference. Did you try any serum wavetables with sm1 by the way?

By the way I don’t see anything inferior in my wavetable implementation. Linear interpolation is indeed sounds smoother compared no interpolation. So, I don see anything to improve here

I don’t see anything wrong with your linear interpolation either. At least not on paper. However, in practice it’s not working smoothly on my end.

For example, when I go: INIT > Drag in a Serum Wavetable from Dropbox into Oscillator 1 > Mod Matrix: Slot 1 > Source: LFO 1 > Target: OSC1 Wave Index > I get very noticeable glitches and crackles in the audio as the index is being modulated.

Additionally, selecting any one of the built in wavetables and setting up the identical routing in the mod matrix as mentioned above will also produce these glitches.

So as it stands I will need to avoid modulating the wave index, which I find rather unfortunate from a sound design perspective. Open to suggestions, and would very much appreciate if you’d look into a possible fix for this as time allows.

• edited June 2018

@brice said:
    For example, when I go: INIT > Drag in a Serum Wavetable from Dropbox into Oscillator 1 > Mod Matrix: Slot 1 > Source: LFO 1 > Target: OSC1 Wave Index > I get very noticeable glitches and crackles in the audio as the index is being modulated.

Additionally, selecting any one of the built in wavetables and setting up the identical routing in the mod matrix as mentioned above will also produce these glitches.

So as it stands I will need to avoid modulating the wave index, which I find rather unfortunate from a sound design perspective. Open to suggestions, and would very much appreciate if you’d look into a possible fix for this as time allows.

Can you please give some examples of external serum wavetables and internal SM1 wavetables that do cause glitches? So that I can test and try to reproduce this issue of yours?

I wanna do a side by side comparison, so please direct me to some Serum wavetables that you tested and causing issues.

• @brice said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@brice said:

@skulptur_sound said:
    How does this synth compare sound wise to serum, or on iOS scythe?? I’m more of a dnb producer when it comes to synths I like that nasty 😷 nasty...

I’d place it on a scale somewhere between far superior to Scythe but not even close to Serum in terms of overall sound quality. That’s not to say it doesn’t sound great. And for an iOS synth I think it’s probably up there with the best of them. It can certainly produce dnb worthy sounds, though my experience so far with importing custom wavetables and wavetable modulation has been far from impressive. I haven’t seen any comments in this thread regarding this matter, but I’m hoping it gets addressed at some point in the future as I think this is SM1s greatest strength if it works correctly.

Synthmaster uses interpolation when cycling through waveforms, serum stil doesnt. That might account for the sound difference. Did you try any serum wavetables with sm1 by the way?

By the way I don’t see anything inferior in my wavetable implementation. Linear interpolation is indeed sounds smoother compared no interpolation. So, I don see anything to improve here

I don’t see anything wrong with your linear interpolation either. At least not on paper. However, in practice it’s not working smoothly on my end.

@kv331audio_bulent I would highly recommended putting anything @brice says way up on your priority list. :smile: Having just a few BB patches available (even is only posted here) would probably sell quite few more installs of this awesome synth.

• edited June 2018

@obijohn said:
    @kv331audio_bulent I would highly recommended putting anything @brice says way up on your priority list. :smile: Having just a few BB patches available (even is only posted here) would probably sell quite few more installs of this awesome synth.

Sure, but who's BB ? Since I don't know him wanted to ask.

@obijohn said:
    @kv331audio_bulent I would highly recommended putting anything @brice says way up on your priority list. :smile: Having just a few BB patches available (even if only posted here) would probably sell quite few more installs of this awesome synth.

@brice = Brice Beasley, killer sound designer. https://soundcloud.com/brice-beasley

His Zeeon patch bank is definitely my favorite.

• @rtuckr said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    @obijohn said:
    @kv331audio_bulent I would highly recommended putting anything @brice says way up on your priority list. :smile: Having just a few BB patches available (even if only posted here) would probably sell quite few more installs of this awesome synth.

@brice = Brice Beasley, killer sound designer. https://soundcloud.com/brice-beasley

His Zeeon patch bank is definitely my favorite.

Actually, his LayR patches are pure heaven :)

• Bulent, Brice Beasley, aka BB is a legend in sound design. <3 <3 <3 <3 :)

We can’t wait for you to add his banks to SM1.

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@obijohn said:

• I can’t find the factory bank presets to scroll through...anyone know how to view those?

• I have noticed in the fx section it takes a couple presses and hard touches to change the different type of fxs.

Quick question on MIDI Output feature for the AUv3:

I am thinking to send MIDI output ONLY when host is recording.

also, if the arp is on, it sends out the arp output.

This would Work perfectly for me

• edited June 2018

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@obijohn said:

@brice Beasley is one of the most advance user we have in the iOS community...
    His presets/patches is often extremely nice & lovely...
    If BB get his head around Synthmaster One we certainly will have a new category of sound to buy as IAP...
    His presets in LayR synth is pure magic!

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    I can’t find the factory bank presets to scroll through...anyone know how to view those?

In standalone version you just press the button Browse...

In AU mode in Beatmaker 3 the button Browse also appears...

• Please accept a humble ”thank you” to you and your team for this app and its possibilities.

I believe music is about having fun and I haven’t had this much fun with a synth app in a long time...:-)

@brice said:

Can you please give some examples of external serum wavetables and internal SM1 wavetables that do cause glitches? So that I can test and try to reproduce this issue of yours?

I wanna do a side by side comparison, so please direct me to some Serum wavetables that you tested and causing issues.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you looking into this. I was able to do some more testing this evening with a new iPad Pro (iPad 7,1 / iOS 11.4) and the issues I described appear to be nonexistent on this new iPad. So that’s great news.

The iPad I was having issues on is a first generation iPad Pro (iPad 6,8 / iOS 11.3.1). Here are a few Serum Wavetables you could test. From the “Analog” category:

Basic_McB
    Basic Shapes
    PWM Genji

And here are a few SM1 Wavetables:

Andremega Pulse
    Fattee Wave
    Hypersaw

The issues were mostly present on all Wavetables I tried from an INIT state; both built-in as well as from Serum. Please let me know if you need any additional info. And thanks again for looking into it.

• edited June 2018

First of all thank you for this brilliant synthesizer!
    One question is there a way to take over the presets from SynthMaster player and use them in SM1?

Another question that has already been noticed is the freeze in cubasis with SM1 in most cases does not work. It stops at the Freezescreen and nothing goes. Cubasis must be restarted to work again. Or does it work for you?

• @Bartlinux said:
    One question is there a way to take over the presets from SynthMaster player and use them in SM1?

Since they are different synths that's not possible.

@Bartlinux said:
    Another question that has already been noticed is the freeze in cubasis with SM1 in most cases does not work. It stops at the Freezescreen and nothing goes. Cubasis must be restarted to work again. Or does it work for you?

I will debug this.

@Bartlinux said:

Since they are different synths that's not possible.

Ok 👍

@Bartlinux said:

I will debug this.

Thx Bulent

• @brice said:
    The iPad I was having issues on is a first generation iPad Pro (iPad 6,8 / iOS 11.3.1). Here are a few Serum Wavetables you could test. From the “Analog” category:

Basic_McB
    Basic Shapes
    PWM Genji

And here are a few SM1 Wavetables:

Andremega Pulse
    Fattee Wave
    Hypersaw

The issues were mostly present on all Wavetables I tried from an INIT state; both built-in as well as from Serum. Please let me know if you need any additional info. And thanks again for looking into it.

The analog wavetables I sampled have low number of waveforms. That's why they don't sound good when interpolated.

Try some wavetables under Basic category I created with my internal wavetable editor. Those have high number of waveforms in them and will sound "smoother"

• I’m loving this synth - great sound, easy to program, very flexible, very deep and for want of a better word, very “precise” - I feel you have very precise control over the sound. However I have had a couple of crashes - just dropped out to desktop (when using standalone). Once when editing a sound (which I lost - damn!) and once when just browsing and trying out sounds. I have not been able to reproduce this.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@ElektrikDiva said:
    I can’t find the factory bank presets to scroll through...anyone know how to view those?

@ErrkaPetti said:

@ElektrikDiva said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@ElektrikDiva said:

Hi Errka

Thanks, I have tried that but no sounds in the factory list are listed in their inside the
    browse.

• Make sure the only browser item that is selected is Factory. If any other item is highlighted the list will be filtered by that too.

• Are you on the lat st IOS 11.4? Works perfectly fine on my 9.7 iPAD just make sure you select either realtime or the other mixdown option for AUs I’m Cubasis Settings. I think the realtime takes longer and the second option is faster but both work great with SM1.

@Bartlinux said:

• @kv331audio_bulent ,
    What about the other 300 presets of the 800 pack? Is there an offer to buy them?
    Can you at least list out the presets included in that remaining 300?

• I’d recommend letting the dev concentrate on squishing the bugs and getting the stuff off the priority list first. I’m sure all the preset stuff will get sorted later. :# <3 <3 o:)

What I’ve been doing as a good starting point for creating new presets is to use the available ones and tweak the heck out of them.

@MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent ,
    What about the other 300 presets of the 800 pack? Is there an offer to buy them?

• I agree with @MusicMan4Christ. Dev is killing it. Gotta leave some room for things that don’t inhibit the function of the the synth to be addressed later.

• @kv331audio_bulent the 1.0.5 beta still crashes Auria (a fix wasn’t called out in the change log so I wasn’t expecting it to be fixed yet). Just holding out hope that it’s fixed soon, as Auria is my primary DAW. Of all the synths I have , which is a lot, too many really, this is the only one that crashes Auria itself. Maybe Rim from @WaveMachineLabs can take a look and help pinpoint the issue?

• @MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent ,

Wait for v1.1, we're gonna introduce IAPs in that update.

This discussion has been closed.