Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

UVI's Ravenscroft 275 for iOS is on sale (and Beathawk as well) !

Comments

• Thanks, I have been waiting for this! Just hope it works on my ipad4. Do you have any experience with its performance on different iPads?

• Grabbed Beathawk Mallets. Ta.

• How much is it n? Showing £18 atm

• Or as Doug Woods says, the “R-r-r-r-r-avenscroft.” :D I believe this is the first time it has ever been on sale. At a regular price of $36, quite expensive as iOS apps go. Don’t have it yet, but I have all the other big ones, including iGrand, Ivory 2GB piano for Module, etc. It sounds great in demos. Tempted.... Hmmmm...

• @Lady_App_titude You are so R-r-r-r-r-ight Ravenscroft is awesome 😎

• edited June 2018

I could weep, finally I’ve found the perfect iOS piano sound. I have many other iOS piano apps, but there was always something still not quite there for me. Not to actually criticize the others, many of them are very good. But this is the one I’ve been looking for. Very glad for the sale.

• Time to get it first time I seen it for sale.

• Is this a no brainer?
    And what about Beathawk?

• nice. I think this was the one iOS piano app I don’t have yet.
    Cross it off the list and say to myself NO MOre pianos!

Been Expensive lately with all the sales and new apps
    I was doing so well not buying anything for a little while haha.

On sale both of these are a must for iOS in my opinion

• I've also been hoping for a sale on Ravenscroft... so many thanks for the heads up! :)

• Yes, I finally got it as well. I've been learning to play the piano since the start of the year, and I promised myself I would get this if I made decent progress. Well, the sale kind of messed up that little resolution, because my progress has been pretty mediocre, but hey, it's a sale!

• I was reading an old thread on RC275. Came across a great YouTube comparison of top five. RC, iGrand, Ivory, Colossus and CMP.
    Search: Test Piano Apps Stefan Gisler. Very good performances and fair comparisons. They're all very good. RC can get a little over the top but just love the hype. And it works well apparently on iPad4 and iPhone5 from a post I read,

• edited June 2018

Also don't need any more pianos, but, But, BUT... Can anyone speak to the CPU utilization with this app?
    (For context, I often use BeatHawk's piano sounds in AU mode but the CPU hit seems pretty high)

• Grumble grumble no pianos grumble grumble sale grumble been eyeing this grumble rant bitch moan complain.........

Purchased. Godd@#n my own inability to control myself.

• OK! I just downloaded RC275 and played it for an hour, first adjusting the velocity level and attack (which always gives me the type of feel I like). I recommend you do this first on any piano you try as you will find that groove feel (if it is possible on the app) that makes you want to play. When I adjusted this finely I found myself in a wonderful playing groove and even though I am playing on a relatively crummy Casio AT5, it still felt great and I wanted to play!

Then I equalized a bit to my taste which is a low end boost and slight high frequency cut. Now it was even better! This was like being home to me except for the actual physical feel of the shallow keybed and the noise of the keys themselves.

Though I am reluctant to say what my playing experience is in depth, I feel it is necessary here to explain that I have spent thousands of hours playing acoustic pianos, the last thirty years on a restored 1915 Steinway B, and while even Steinways are different from each other in quality, mine is a particularly rich and sonorous iteration with an incredible bass end, fulsome mid range and slightly shallow top end. When you open the lid, press the sustain pedal and shout or sing into it the strings respond almost miraculously with a vibrant resonance that lasts and lasts with a clear and clean tail. I, have released five CDs of piano improvisation on a jazz label founded by Max Roach and have played at the Blue Note and Birdland in NYC, arguably the two best clubs in the city. Still, I am far from a genius player. But I want you to know my experience because I think my opinion carries some weight on this subject (and not many others).

The RC 275 is a wonderful instrument. It sounds and feels like a real f&$@#%ing piano! If I had a Kawai VPC1 controller or MP11 I am sure I would be hard pressed to say which I preferred, my Steinway or the RC 275.

There is a depth to the sampling that is almost undefinable until you compare it to another iOS piano. I compared it to several of the iGrands. I AB'd them a dozen times at least. I made all the same adjustments to the iGrands re feel and EQ. At first I kept feeling the iGrands were a close second. But with each AB the two were further and further apart. Firstly, the feel... The iGrand lacked substance to my taste. Somehow the RC made my Casio "feel" more like a real grand ( though it couldn't accomplish a miracle. The RC needs a controller to match if you want to make a comp between it and, as I did, a Steinway).

The other major component is , of course, the sound. The iGrands could not be counted in the same league. There was a spread of tone on each key of the RC that must be the result of intense sampling. I could not demonstrate the string resonance on my keyboard, but I have no doubt it is there... Everything else is. For $18 even someone who doesn't even play a note should have this thing! Just for the fun of owning such a splendid instrument!

As far as the technical things I read: unfortunately, on my iPad4 there was some crackle. Mostly when I really pounded the keys. I don't like that, naturally... No crackling on the iGrands, but I can live with it because the damn thing makes it fun to play, and after fifty years of piano banging, believe me, it is no fun on a second rate instrument ( well, a lot less fun, anyway). Controlling the force of my fingers did seem to ameliorate the crackling.

I did not hear the oft mentioned pedal noises so perhaps that has been adjusted. I especially like that you can save your own presets, something lacking on the iGrand setup. Alison on RC you can choose a sampling rate that adjusts the latency (I chose 257, the lowest with the least latency) but if you can stand a 97ms latency I imagine the detail is extraordinary.
    Also you can pick the Hz that pleases the most from 44,000 down to 8,000, though who would pick the lower numbers eludes me. All the controls on the RC are lovely and work well. Nothing is missing for me but a master volume control (present on iGrand). Finally the midi and background audio are controllable in settings.

So there you have it. I have not tried Colossus, CMP or Ivory, but 14gb is way too big for my rig and CMP and Ivory do not have the sampling of RC, do I put them in the same class as iGrand (just guessing).

Bottom line: run, don't walk for this wonderful value. I am sure not everyone will be delighted, but I was and I am a tough piano playing customer.

• Forgive me if this has been discussed on previous Ravenscroft 275 threads but I see a number of people have complained in their reviews of a noisy damper pedal. Is this still (or has it ever been) an issue? Great price but this has me wondering whether to take the plunge.

• No damper problem in my recent experience. Volume based crackling. Still well worth it. More than well worth it.

• CORRECTION! There is no crackling problem once you set the dB level in the upper right corner of the screen. My error!
    I believe they have fixed every problem RC275 ever had.

• edited June 2018

Damn you all. I can’t right now. 😬

• edited June 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    I was reading an old thread on RC275. Came across a great YouTube comparison of top five. RC, iGrand, Ivory, Colossus and CMP.
    Search: Test Piano Apps Stefan Gisler. Very good performances and fair comparisons. They're all very good. RC can get a little over the top but just love the hype. And it works well apparently on iPad4 and iPhone5 from a post I read,

That seems like a bad comparison, because I just went to youtube to listen to it, and the tests are all recorded in mono. That is no good, since the piano apps are not mono.

• I get the crackling as well, iPad Air 2 from a fresh reboot. Even with the volume slider at the top left turned down (and keeping an eye on the levels it displays, which are not clipping). I think the crackling is probably a bug.

• @LinearLineman Did you check the 41 or 17 pianos from the Piano Poll 2?

I would like to see, if Ravenscroft was among your favorites there ;)

• Hi, @tja, I was overwhelmed by the number of samples. But it was the playing "feel" that got me on the RC. Can't get that by listening.
    (Probably wouldn't have picked it though... Just to prove myself wrong. I like my iGrand well enough. Still interested in the results of your fabulous thread, however. Listening is so fickle for me.)

• Aarrgghh - I don’t NEED another piano, but I really like the sound of this one - so tempted!

• also couldn't resist (been on my wishlist too for some time), sounds lovely, am very pleased

:)

• @cabo said:
    also couldn't resist (been on my wishlist too for some time), sounds lovely, am very pleased

:)

Another Happy Camper here too.

• Bought it as well. Wasn’t on my wishlist, but this thread made me consider it.
    Don’t really care for piano sounds and romplers take too much space on my devices. But “it might come in handy”. Apps which rarely go on sale are much harder to resist than those which keep going up and down in price every few weeks.
    At this point, my AppShopper wishlist mostly contains things which were intriguing at one point but aren’t really that compelling. My Plugin Boutique wishlist does contain some macOS plugins which would be really nice to have. But focusing on iOS helps me put things in perspective.

• For anyone using X0X with Beathawk. What note mapping’s do you use? There’s no template.

• @gusgranite said:
    For anyone using X0X with Beathawk. What note mapping’s do you use? There’s no template.

I answered you on FB as well - I use the General MIDI mapping in XOX and I've built kits in BH to accommodate this config. See it in action here: