Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BetaHawk as AU and midi problem

Hi,
I can't get beathawk (hosted as AU) to receive separate midi channels (eg channel 1->pad 1 drums , channel 2->pad 2 bass).
It works as IAA but not as AU. Am I missing something?

Comments

• What are you hosting it in?

• ApeMatrix, AB3, AUM the same :(
    Haven’t tried BM3 yet.

• I don't have BH installed at the moment but if I recall correctly it has separate midi-settings for IAA/Standalone and AUv3 modes so those might be worth to check if omni mode is on when running it as AUv3, if it is, turn it off...

• Why not just pull up 2 AUs and send in midi into the pads for drums and the into the keys for Bass? That way you don't have to mess with turning off Omni mode.

• @Samu said:
    I don't have BH installed at the moment but if I recall correctly it has separate midi-settings for IAA/Standalone and AUv3 modes so those might be worth to check if omni mode is on when running it as AUv3, if it is, turn it off...

I did check, Omni is off. Unfortunately every midi channel is triggering only pad 1.

@shiftsynth1 said:
    Why not just pull up 2 AUs and send in midi into the pads for drums and the into the keys for Bass? That way you don't have to mess with turning off Omni mode.

Sometimes it’s easier for me to route different midi sources to one instance

• I looked at my default BH AU prefs, and it is set to only receive on channel 1. Could this be what is causing the problem? This is the setting I am referring to:

• I have them all set and I can send events to any pad.

• The AUv3 in AUM is not multi-timbral.
    Only as an IAA. Same as something like bs-16i.

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    The AUv3 in AUM is not multi-timbral.
    Only as an IAA. Same as something like bs-16i.

What? Sure it is. Can you explain what you mean?

• edited June 2018

You have to check send omni on pads box and uncheck send to selected pad box in AU settings. This works exactly the same way in standalone mode.

• @Janosax Sending Omni will send any channel to all pads .
    I will give an example to understand better what I am trying to do :smile:

Pad 1 has a drum kit
    Pad 2 a bass
    Pad 3 some brass.

Midi Channel 1 should only trigger the drums
    Midi Channel 2 should play chromatically some bass lines
    Midi Channel 3 should trigger some brass riffs.

As IAA it works , but not as AU .

@Chaztrip all midi channels are checked :)
    @Moderndaycompiler are you sure multi-trimblar doesn’t work in AU mode ? Bug or it’s the way it works?

Thanks all by the way for the help :)

• edited June 2018

Sorry I said exactly the inverse... seems that it works only in BH IAA.

• @Korakios said:
    @Janosax Sending Omni will send any channel to all pads .
    I will give an example to understand better what I am trying to do :smile:

Pad 1 has a drum kit
    Pad 2 a bass
    Pad 3 some brass.

Midi Channel 1 should only trigger the drums
    Midi Channel 2 should play chromatically some bass lines
    Midi Channel 3 should trigger some brass riffs.

As IAA it works , but not as AU .

@Chaztrip all midi channels are checked :)
    @Moderndaycompiler are you sure multi-trimblar doesn’t work in AU mode ? Bug or it’s the way it works?

Thanks all by the way for the help :)

So why does it have to be AU? I just wish that Beathawk 2 would record midi infinitely instead of 16 bars..

• Because the IAA does not support state-saving, so I though AU as a workaround.

• @Korakios said:
    Because the IAA does not support state-saving, so I though AU as a workaround.

OK... I see..

• Just a small update ,
    I got an email from UVI support , they finally reproduced the problem so there are more chances , it gets fixed on next update :)

• I don't use AU really except for Brambos and BeepStreet for synths and FX.

Others I stay AB or IAA.

BeatHawk.

Just too small for me.

Like me a big screen for playing

• I'm having the same problem with BH on Garageband.

• @Korakios said:

I don't understand this state saving fetish. Isn't that just a trendy word for presets? Beathawk not only has presets but it also has projects so null and void argument there bucky.

• BH as AU is also still pretty unstable, it crashes often if you load more than two instances, it’s laggy and its keybaord is not responsive.
    IAA is very stable.

I had use it however as AU in my last tutorial:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27168/saxloops-3-tutorial-apematrix-sound-design-workflow#latest

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Korakios said:

I don't understand this state saving fetish. Isn't that just a trendy word for presets? Beathawk not only has presets but it also has projects so null and void argument there bucky.

It could be a trend but state saving is the only way when using multiple apps. Don’t really enjoy saving preset per different app (and loading) . Imagine doing it *5 times ;)

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

@Korakios said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Korakios said:

It could be a trend but state saving is the only way when using multiple apps. Don’t really enjoy saving preset per different app (and loading) . Imagine doing it *5 times ;)

1. You don’t have to remember to save each and every preset you changed before shutting down.
    2. You don’t have to take notes of which preset you used for each and every app and FX per session.
    3. You don’t have to load each and every preset to get back to where you were.
    4. You don’t have to re-establish midi connections, clock, etc. for those apps or hosts that lose track off them.
    5. There are almost never issues with stuck background processes and resources.
    6. Save a session, save everything. One shot. Done.

For those of us who only get little snippets of time here and there to make music, it’s all about setup time, and how to pick up where you left off as quickly as possible. With AUs I can focus on experimenting with the music rather than how to recreate the setup next time around.

OK, not important to you, but more than just trendy and more than a null and void argument in favor of AUs.

• @wim said:

@Korakios said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Korakios said:

1. You don’t have to remember to save each and every preset you changed before shutting down.
    2. You don’t have to take notes of which preset you used for each and every app and FX per session.
    3. You don’t have to load each and every preset to get back to where you were.
    4. You don’t have to re-establish midi connections, clock, etc. for those apps or hosts that lose track off them.
    5. There are almost never issues with stuck background processes and resources.
    6. Save a session, save everything. One shot. Done.

For those of us who only get little snippets of time here and there to make music, it’s all about setup time, and how to pick up where you left off as quickly as possible. With AUs I can focus on experimenting with the music rather than how to recreate the setup next time around.

OK, not important to you, but more than just trendy and more than a null and void argument in favor of AUs.

Barely, but I see your point. ;)

• State-saving is the shizzle. Full stop.